5.0 out of 5 stars Great foundation for anyone to build off of
I would consider myself young at 20, and discovering this book has changed my life. It provides a great foundation for communication with the people you work with and love. I've given this book as gifts numerous times, and i've read it numerous times myself, always coming out with something new.
I highly recommend this book to anyone looking to change their...
Published on March 5 2004 by Sean Reyes

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the politcally challenged
When it comes to self-help books, I look for results. Personally, I couldn't finish it. I started out gun-ho and created these great elaborate charts to list my activites and "sharpen my saw". I never got past two weeks of making that my habit. I did eventually get into the habit of a simple "To-Do list" and mark items as A, B, or C in respect to Covey's quadrant...
Published on Dec 2 2002 by nepenthe

5.0 out of 5 stars helped a lot, June 28 2009
P. D. Evans - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change (Paperback)
This book which I have been aware of for many years, is full of valuable insights. Although I bought it originally for its tips on management style, it has shown me some of the areas of my personal life that needed some tweaking.

I would recommend this book to anyone who thinks there may be something they can do to improve their life, and the way they relate to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars worth it but long, Jan. 20 2009
G. Wilson (BC Canada) - See all my reviews
I highly recommend this book, it does take a bit to read it but I have seen so many positive changes in my life since I've read it. I think what really keeps you going is that you see the changes in yourself as you're reading it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of info in here, Dec 24 2008
Wow. I picked up this book hoping to get some tips on how to effect some personal change. And while I realize personal change takes time, I was hoping for an easy to read how-to manual. This book certainly does not fall in to that category.

This book is not an easy read. Yes, it is filled with recommendations on how to improve ones life. And yes, it does include examples on how to make use of those recommendations. But the writing style and temperament used to convey those ideas is not easy to read.

Don't pick up this book and expect to breeze through it in a weekend. Pick it up, read it, then set it down and come back to it again. That's pretty much the only way anyone will be able to manage all of the suggestions Covey is writing about.

5.0 out of 5 stars filled with important information, Dec 2 2007
Not that I'm an expert in the subject, but I'm guessing that this isn't your typical success book. In many ways it's a general purpose psychology book, dealing with such things as motivation, organizational skills, and how to deal with stress. It's chock full of seemingly unique information, and interesting quotes and tidbits. For example, it states "Management is efficiency in climbing the ladder of success; leadership determines whether the ladder is leaning against the right wall." The book isn't boring or repetitive, and is written in a pleasing, conversational manner. Everyone should give this a read, not just those interested in business success. Author of Adjust Your Brain: A Practical Theory for Maximizing Mental Health.

1.0 out of 5 stars Isn't it all just common sense?, July 17 2000
I am amazed and how "helpful" people find this book. The only thing worse than this text is the 3 day course that accompanies it if you are subjected to such evils by your employer. My advise is take the time that it takes to read this book and "sharpen your saw" the old-fashioned way... live a little! I'm sorry that I had to give this book one star... zero stars was not an option.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 29 2014
Life changing!

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but there are better more insightful books in this genre., May 21 2003
Although extremely successful -- this book practically created an industry -- I found it rather run of the mill. There are many other books and gurus in this genre and to me this was not particularly inspiring, original or credible. I would have expected such a well qualified author to provide more supporting evidence to support his theories. So, in summary: OK, not bad but rather over-hyped.

1.0 out of 5 stars A few nuggets surrounded by drivel, Jan. 1 2004
Daniel J. Warme "dwarme" (Van Nuys, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I have to say that overall, I really hated this book. Mostly for the language the author chooses to use. ie: Buzz words, convoluted diagrams and marketing phrases. Biggest annoyance was the word "Paradigm" ( a word I tend to classify as the TV show, the Simpsons does, "a word used by dumb people to sound smart") Deleation of this word alone from the book would have shortened it by at least 50 pages.
Don't get me wrong, there is some very worthwhile material here. I found some of it very relavent to my own life and needs. Through some judicious editing down to the worthwhile material, the author could have produced a very helpful pamphlet. However, the need to wade through the pages and pages of shlock made the book overall very tiresome. I have a hard time understanding how this was on the best sellers list until I remember the overall taste of the general population. Recall the popularity of pet rocks, disco, McDonalds, and reality tv. It helps explain this book's popularity.

1.0 out of 5 stars If it don't hurt, it ain't workin', May 20 2002
By A Customer
It has puzzled me for some time why people could possibly regard this book, as banal and unimaginative as it is, could achieve best-seller status. But then, I wondered the same thing about some other books - like Johnson and Blanchard's "Who moved my cheese" and McGraw's "Life Strategies".
And then it clicked - some people LIKE to beat up on themselves. Somewhere along the line (from a certain kind of parent, perhaps, or a certain kind of teacher?) they learned that IIDHIAW - "If it don't hurt, it ain't working". Or as Jane Fonda put it: "No pain, no gain".
And some people have captured that message and turned it into a book.
Well, this is one of those IIDHIAW books. And readers who believe that pain is the only effective teacher will love every morsal of this trite nonsense.
Readers who enjoy average to high self esteem, on the other hand, will most likely hate it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Millions in sales - but how many readers?, March 8 2001
Karl (England, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
A sad mixture of ong-winded, turgid prose, bad psychology and poor research. Yet it has sold by the million.
I'd love to know how many people read it all the way through, though? At a guess, not many.
A triumph of marketing over common sense this is the ultimate "quick fix" business book. But the proof of the pudding is in the eating.
If the book has sold millions, and it's really so full of great ideas, why isn't the world of business being revolutionised - for the better - even as we speak?
Why isn't the world in general being revolutionised - for the better - even as you read these words?
Because the Emperor ain't got no clothes, that's why!

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change