4.0 out of 5 stars From the Outside In
Published on April 7 2008 by Peter Cantelon

1.0 out of 5 stars wate of money!
I don't know where the humor is supposed to be in this book. At day 50 it was so boring I put it in the recycle bin! Waste of time and money; don't buy it.
Published 17 months ago by Ron 4310

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars From the Outside In, April 7 2008
Peter Cantelon (Morden, Manitoba, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The book is Jacobs' journal of his attempt to follow the Bible as literally as possible. He documented more than 700 rules in the Hebrew and Christian bible. As a pastor you can imagine why I needed to read this. Jacobs starts his Biblical journey (as I started mine as reader) as a bit of a skeptic. He describes himself as a secular Jew but says "...I'm Jewish in the same way the Olive Garden is an Italian restaurant." A self-described agnostic - religion, the Bible and God had not taken up a lot of thought room in his life up to this point.

Jacob's research is very well done. He does not simply read the Bible but draws upon over a hundred Jewish and Christian resources as well as creating and regularly seeking the counsel of a spiritual advisory board made up of conservative and liberal rabbis, mainline and evangelical pastors. His bibliogrpahy is neither staunchly left or right but a mix of both and the middle. I especially appreciated a referance to Dennis Covington's fantastic book Salvation on Sand Mountain (which I have also read) and Jacobs' own visit to Appalachia. He also variously speaks to Tony Campolo, Ken Ham (Answers in Genesis), an Amish innkeeper, as well as visits Jerry Falwell's church, and several Bible study groups that cover the spectrum from conservative to liberal, etc. You get the idea.

The insights that Jacobs has into religion, the Bible, God and believers in general are quite incredible. Many of them are very affirming for me as a pastor and a Christ follower. As a believer, one cannot, no matter how hard one tries, fully put themselves into the shoes of a non-believer and see what they see or understand as they understand so the book does a great service in this sense.

Aside from the insights Jacobs' journey is incredibly humourous and at times quite poignant as well (the impact on his wife and family plays a major role). His openess and honesty are disarming and refreshing and his writing style is very approachable and easy to slip into. I won't tell you what the impact this experience had on Jacobs except to say it was definitely a perspective changer.

This book is a great read and will spark many a lively discussion (good book club material). I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rules are made to be broken, Dec 29 2007
AJ has written a remarkable book that transforms himself and the reader into a diverse perspective of strict religious life in a secular world of New York City. Similar to John Howard Griffin's Black Like Me,The Year of Living Biblically doesn't just observe a culture that he isn't part of but fully becomes part of that culture. The modern day saying, rules are made to be broken, don't apply here.

The Year of Living Biblically is written in a wonderful humours and intelligent style. Working on a subject that could have many cheap shots, AJ shows the read that he is a much better person and writer then that. Practicing biblical laws in today's world can be a difficult thing to do. Some are so bizarre one has to ask; 'What were they think of?' AJ and his panel of advisor's make a good case for their original uses and why they're practiced by many today.
The hard liner fundamentalist and atheist maybe disappointed in The Year of Living Biblically. There is no silver bullet for either side. Not to give the book away, but for me the open-minded person will come away with a stronger understanding of an ancient mind set and how and why it was applied their religion.

The reader may also come away with some new habits. I now put my right shoe on then my left, then tie my left then my right shoe. Read the book to find out why.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mirth and Myrrh, Jan. 18 2013
C8 Sparrow "beach reader" (Edmonton, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible (Paperback)
I read this book on a beach in Los Cabos Mexico. What a delightful find and perfect for a holiday read. It was thoughtful, enlightening and laugh-out-loud funny. I not only learned a lot about the Bible, I also became more self aware. It made me consider my own behaviour in relationship to the Ten Commandments. A. J. Jacobs is a wonderful writer, and an adept storyteller. And his wife must be a saint.

Don't miss out. It'll surprise you. I promise.

4.0 out of 5 stars good reading before sleep., Sept. 22 2014
I won this book at a Religious study group's party. It is easy to read, it is not great literature, some funny fact and evens in it. Nice reading before sleep I would say. The subject seemed to me too big for such a book and sometime I felt that the author just filled some blank sheet of paper because he did not write for some days. I was touched though by his neighbor history. It made me think about my own lonely life and I wish I will not end as her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud funny along with spiritual insights, April 18 2014
This book is an extremely well-written account of a spiritual journey that was fully and carefully researched, and included consultation with a wide spectrum of advisors before the writer set out on his quest. The book could have been a mere stunt: “look at me; aren’t I funny? Aren’t these fundamentalist interpretations of the scripture both quaint and ridiculous? And aren’t those who adhere to them either stupid or wilfully blind?”

Instead, while the author has written a book that is indeed often very funny (cf. stoning an adulterer), it is written with such humility and generosity that it never becomes condescending or patronizing to those whose views the author cannot share (i.e. creationists, Hasidic Jews.) He is somewhat less generous, and rightfully so, to those who exploit the credulity of other to enrich themselves--the Jerry Fallwells of this world.

A. J. Jacobs is Jewish but what he has to say is relevant to any person struggling with belief. A wise man told him not to expect to be the same person at the end of his year as he was at the beginning, and a note at the end of a later book about carrying out various projects,) which I also enjoyed, confirms that. He describes himself now as “a reverent agnostic”. Not a bad place to be--but probably, considering his relative youth, his inquisitive nature, and the moments of transcendence he experienced as a child and adolescent, not his final position.

As a practicing (I’m still learning) liberal Episcopalian, I’ve been recommending this book to many members of the parish to which I belong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning without realizing it!, Jan. 4 2013
"The Year of Living Biblically" is A.J. Jacobs' documentation of his adventure with religion. He lives a year of his life trying to follow as many rules in the Bible as literally as possible. From not trimming the edges of his beard to attaching tassels to the edges of his clothing, Jacobs does a lot and learns a lot.

In this book, and his other ones, A.J. Jacobs says the year he lived his life according to the Bible shaped his life a lot. Although I can't say this book/his experiences changed MY life in any way, I have learned A LOT about religion. Before reading this book, I knew some things about religion/Catholicism/Judaism, but upon competition of "The Year of Living Biblically", I knew a lot more. I also find Jacobs' writing style humorous (in turn making it easy to follow, which sounds like it wouldn't fit for a book of this nature, but, in fact, compliments the content well, as you don't realizes you're learning anything until after you finish reading.

"The Year of Living Biblically" is my favourite book of all time and I feel it is a must-read for anyone, religious or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Living Biblically, Honestly, and Humorously, Oct. 12 2012
As someone that has never read the bible, but considers themselves a believer nonetheless, I was simply amazed by the honesty and commitment that A.J. Jacobs showed to this project. Trying to live the bible literally for one year is a monumental task. But this man did it while maintaining a job and a family. While this certainly isn't a how-to book on religion, I appreciate the insight that Jacobs offers into the many different interpretations of the bible and religion. This book is complex, delightfully surprising, and definitely worth reading. I look forward to reading other works by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and quite entertaining, May 5 2012
I'm nearing the end of the book but couldn't wait to post a brief review of it.

I am agnostic and on the continuum between theist and atheist, I lean more towards the atheist end. This seems similar to the authors stance as well which made this book quite easy to relate to. I appreciate his respect towards the different religious sects he discusses. He doesn't follow just one interpretation and shun or lash out against the rest. His dedication is admirable as he actually travels to meet and experience different religious followers and traditions from visiting the Amish, orthodox Jews in Israel, even snake handlers.

It was great to read his own thoughts on the bible and everything that was going on during his year. It felt quite honest.

The book is quite entertaining as well, especially his interactions with his wife, Julie, and their son, Jasper.

I received this book for Christmas and was admittedly quite reluctant to read it as I figured it would be just another book full of religious garbage that my family was trying to shove down my throat. But it is definitely not that and I am extremely glad I opened it. Some might say that God told me to open it but I highly doubt it as my religious stance has not changed because of this book. Though it's great to know there is someone else out there who shares very similar thoughts to my own.

I'm quite interested in reading other books by this author now and will do some shopping after finishing this review.

4.0 out of 5 stars More than just a gimmcky read, Jan. 7 2008
Len (Slave Lake, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The title would lend one to believe the intention of the author was to make fun of fundamental Christians and Jews. In point of fact, this is an honest attempt by Mr. Jacobs to live not only in accord with a literal interpretation of the bible but also an attempt to follow its more general principals. He honestly begins his quest with the idea of gaining a better understanding of those who follow a literal interpretation of their religion and with that, through a process of "cognitive dissonance," become a better person himself. He spends most of the year wearing white, never trimming his beard, praying, avoiding clothing that combines the fabrics wool and linen, writing the commandments on the frame of his apartment door, visiting and accepting advice from leaders of both the fundamentalist and liberal churches. He even visits his "crazy" Uncle Gil living in Israel who he meets next to the Western Wall, the holiest site for Jews in Jerusalem, a place where his uncle likes to go and pray at 3:00 in the morning. The book is filled with humour and insights and one, I was surprised to have finished. I was sure it would be one of those gimmicky books that I "get" within the first two or three chapters. Here, there is nothing to "get" only the attempt by Mr. Jacobs to get in touch with his Jewish religion and gain a greater understanding of the Christian one. Well worth the read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious & Insightful, Jan. 13 2009
Sheri S. (Montreal, Quebec) - See all my reviews
A.J. Jacobs set out to follow the Bible's words, as literally as possible, for an entire year. As ambitious of a task as this seems, it is not entirely uncharacteristic of Jacobs, given his previous book, "The Know-It-All", which documents his reading of the Encyclopedia Britannica from A to Z. With the guidance of Rabbis, Priests, professors and friends, Jacobs sets out on his quest and ends up learning a lot about himself along the way. He explores a number of religious sects and groups, including Chassidic Jews, Red Letter Christians, the Amish and even a trip to Israel to visit the Samaritans.

When I started reading this book, I wasn't sure what to expect but I was intrigued by the concept and I had to find out more. From the start, I found this book incredibly interesting and really easy to read, despite it being a work of non-fiction. Jacobs has a witty and fun way with words which kept me amused and informed at the same time. His anecdotes are always humorous and in keeping with important themes that he discusses in the book.

Jacobs does a great job of addressing misconceptions found in the Bible and lending explanations to the seemingly bizarre commandments that are seldom understood or even contemplated. While it is difficult to remain completely objective when exploring topics like religion, Jacobs approaches each experience with an open mind and an open heart with just the right amount of inevitable skepticism.

"The Year of Living Biblically" is very funny and yet simultaneously insightful. Because Jacobs gained a great deal from this quest, readers will too. I really appreciated the respectful way he addressed the laws of the Bible and tried to show their greater purpose and meaning.

This book is required reading for anyone, no matter what your beliefs, there is something each and every person can learn from this thought-provoking book.

[...]