summer boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Pets All-New Kindle sports Tools

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on December 5, 2001
At the risk of incurring the wrath of Connolly lovers I didn't connect with DARK HOLLOW. It is a long death-filled story that takes the reader to the edge of reality and believability. Ex- NY detective, Charlie Parker becomes deeply involved in a manhunt for Billy Purdue, accused of killing his own wife and child. Charlie, whose sense of loss from the violent deaths of his own wife and child a year earlier drives him in the pursuit, doesn't believe Billy is the killer. Instead, an old man who haunts the woods of Maine and the minds and dreams of all the inhabitants there, becomes the object of Charlie's relentless search.
There are some scary scenes and I can understand how some readers and critics believe this is a "stunning successor" to EVERY DEAD THING and a "terrifying and ingenious novel". However, for me, it stretched reality too far. Charlie survived too many gunfights, bullet holes, whacks on the head, chases through the woods, and swims in icy waters for me. This isn't to say that some readers won't enjoy DARK HOLLOW because they will. I'm just not one of them.
on September 3, 2002
I've tried to read about 50 pages but failed to get connected. I don't like the way it goes and the paces seem random and slow. Just couldn't ran the first 50 yards and have realized even I ploughed on to 100 yards, it wouldn't take off. Sorry, have read lot of thrillers, but this one seems got lead around the ankles, dragging along is not what I like to experience with a so-called thriller. You don't have to click yes or no, 'cause it's just my personal feelings, papa.
on August 25, 2001
I am probably the only reviewer who rates this novel with 3-stars. I found it very confusing, as I did his previous book, with too many superficial characters and too much "bloody" action. Now, if "goor" is "your thing" then this is a book for you. The author never really develops his main characters which to me is a major flaw. I found it hard to concentrate on who was killing who.. Enough said!