4.0 out of 5 stars But What About the Ghost
I usually can't stand mysteries but Charles Palliser's "The Quincunx" seemed too good to pass up...and it was. So, I was really eager to read "The Unburied," even though it took me some time to get around to doing just that. I found that "The Unburied" is a very different mystery than is "The Quincunx." While "The Quincunx" was filled with fast-paced adventure and...
Published on May 20 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars The Unburied
The story is a whacky, weird book that a lot of people would enjoy.I would say that a lot of people can relate themselves to the main characters of this book.The way people's minds want to go figure out a problem or they are just so curious about something they want to go figure it out.The main character's name is Julia and she has some dreams about a strange...
Published on March 6 2003 by D.T.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorely Dissappointed, Nov. 25 1999
Mike (Newton, MA.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Unburied (Hardcover)
As a major fan of the Quincunx I anxiously awaited this release. Unfortunately it had none of the appeal of the earlier book. The plot was convoluted, and frequently difficult to follow. This is particularly the case due to all the characters involved and the circular nature of the plot. While it is well written, and had times had great ambiance, it's hard to recommend this dissappointing effort.

2.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs Down, April 15 2001
Dr. Lisa Kahler (US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Unburied (Hardcover)
Don't be fooled by the rapturous reviews on the back cover: It ain't all that.
There IS a promising murder mystery here. But the plot is so convoluted that slogging your way through the mire is hardly worth it. The main characters, without exception, range from distasteful to downright despicable. There is no one to cheer for here.
Last words: Too much work for too little reward.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like Umberto Eco ..., Jan. 8 2001
"me_fly_muc" (Elmhurst, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Unburied (Paperback)
As mentioned by other reviewers, the style of this novel is very similar to Name of the Rose - which I loved. If you do not like plot shifts, twists and turns, and having to concentrate to keep things straight while reading, then this book is not for you! On the other hand, I could hardly put the book down while I sat in front of a fire with a snow storm raging outside.

2.0 out of 5 stars Better than Nyquil, Nov. 22 1999
This review is from: The Unburied (Hardcover)
I agree completely with the reviewer below. Antiseptic, lifeless, soggy. The mystery isn't as clever as the professional reviews would have you believe. The characters are far more dull than they would have you believe. Even more overrated than INSTANCE OF THE FINGERPOST, if that's possible.

1.0 out of 5 stars Yuck!, Aug. 26 2001
louise stover "calcs" (costa mesa, california USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Unburied (Paperback)
This book was so horrid that I can't recommend it to anyone, nor even in good conscience give it away. Not gothic, mysterious, or even interesting. It would have put me to sleep if I hadn't been so frustrated by it's lameness. I feel especially bad for the people who paid for the hard copy!

The Unburied
The Unburied by Charles Palliser (Paperback - Nov. 1 2000)
CDN$ 30.00 CDN$ 28.02