5.0 out of 5 stars There's Something about TNG
Published on June 21 2004 by Adrian Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars apparently the copy editor was sick that day...
"Doors into chaos" is right, but I don't think I'm thinking what they were thinking.
Published on Sept. 10 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars There's Something about TNG, June 21 2004
Adrian Jones (Kansas City, KS USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doors into Chaos (Star Trek The Next Generation: Gateways, Book 3) (Paperback)
I've read the TNG, DS9, New Frontier, and Voyager Gateways books as well as the corresponding portions of the 7th book. And of those the TNG book is easily the best of the series. Yes it does start out a tad slow, but to me this building of the story is what makes it so great. The author goes out of his way to make sure you completely understand the seriousness of the gateway situation. I also enjoyed the fact that this one had several different things happening all at once with the crew basically split up to accomplish the goal.
In addition I liked the nod to Voyager with the Nyrians that were lost in the Alpha Quadrant.
The purpose for my title "There's Something About TNG" is that when it comes to book series that span them all TNG seems to get the best stories. I also enjoyed TNG's Section 31 book the best of the Section 31 series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Doors into Chaos, Aug. 24 2002
By A Customer
The Iconians have returned, offering to sell their technology to the Federation & proving their sincerity by reactivating long-abandoned Gateways...and Captain Picard must contend with the ensuing chaos even as their sinister motivations are revealed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow Start and Only Average Finish, June 8 2002
John Vasen (Montgomery, IL United States) - See all my reviews
Of the five I've read (excluding Challenger), this was the most disappointing Gateways book. I am a huge TNG fan, but this book was very slow.
I enjoyed Troi as Captain, but that was about it. And the crew of her ship had some personality.
This book and the Deep Space 9 version, were the most integrated of the Gateways series. Between the two, most of the Gateways story is told, prior to the conclusion in book 7 and you will definitely want to read the conclusion. If you like a series, read these two for sure. You may not need to read Voyager, or New Frontier. If you don't like a series, these are the two to avoid. See my review on the others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best in the series so far, Jan. 3 2002
"ja1864" (Miami, FL United States) - See all my reviews
As my review title suggest this one for me was the best so far. But book 4 is turning out to be just as good and maybe even better. I have to finish to be sure. Book one and especially two were major disappointments. Two was confusing!!! I know most people haven't rated this book well but the story was to me a lot easier to follow compared to book 2 and the characters much more realistic to the Star Trek universe.
There are many references to past episodes even to other Trek books that blend in wonderfully. The story helps advance major story lines that belong to other series too. I also enjoyed the many species that are involved and for me well written. It was great to read this book and reminded me why I like TNG so much.

4.0 out of 5 stars This man knows Trek., Dec 31 2001
Diane Bellomo (Baltimore, MD United States) - See all my reviews
Anyone who's pooh-poohing the "Gateways" series just ain't paying attention! This is the best so far, and I'm not quick to give out the kudos for series. In fact, for the most part, I hate 'em - but Gateways grabbed me, and Robert's TNG installment is simply a fabulous cog on a great big wonderful wheel.
I'll admit I was lost at first as to what the heck was going on, but once I understood that different races had already been approached by the, uh, Iconians, about purchasing the gateways tech, I immediately understood the reason why Picard and his mighty ship was summoned to the task of organizing everyone into a united front to meet with the Iconians.
What follows is not quite united but certainly surprising, and full of enough references to just about everything TNG Trek that's gone before to cause me to rush to my tapes! Robert Greenberger is just plain amazing in this capacity, and I'm betting he had it all in his own little head.
Add to that Troi's successful stint as captain and loads of Riker/Troi not-so-subtext, and you've got what amounts to - not to put too fine a point on it - a GREAT read.
And yup, this one ends with a go-through-the-gateway cliffhanger set to finish in Book Seven of the series, "What Lay Beyond." And who else goes through but our great Iconian master, Jean-Luc Picard. Much, much too much fun.

2.0 out of 5 stars A series again?, Nov. 11 2001
David Berger (Boca Raton, FL) - See all my reviews
I have to agree that this trend toward series of books going through all the "Treks" is annoying. I have tended to not buy them even though I have a huge Star Trek book collection. I am a ST:TNG fan and do not enjoy reading the other series books as much. It seems like the publisher is trying to force me to read them in order to make sense of any single title.
I understand the marketing strategies here but I wish there were more stand alone titles in any single Trek series. Making me wait 6-8 months for a new title leaves me looking for other types of reading material and not Trek.
This book is okay but is a little to confusing for most of us. I recommend skipping it and waiting for a book you can sink your teeth into without 6 other for backround material.

3.0 out of 5 stars apparently the copy editor was sick that day..., Sept. 10 2001
By A Customer
It gets three stars for being an OK story, but the grammar was so messy, so often, that I kept getting lost. I know about myself that I am a little picky about this sort of thing, so I try to forgive the first few typos and other similar errors I see in any given book, but this was a mess. There were run-on sentences I wouldn't have gotten away with in the sixth grade, sentence fragments that didn't even make sense, and commas run amok. Yow. It was so irritating I even stopped reading the story in the middle to email the publisher to complain, and it's not all that often I willingly put down a book midway. So. If you are willing to tolerate these errors (or wait til they get around to fixing them in another printing, perhaps?), it's a decent story, and it does start to make sense of the set of books, between which I had previously not seen the relationship, and it does have the advantage of being a Star Trek book. Your call.

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm not sure I like Star Trek's "miniseries" kick, Sept. 3 2001
R. L. MILLER (FT LAUDERDALE FL USA) - See all my reviews
If you narrow it down to just the two mass market paperbacks each month in the Trek series, what percentage of them are one book/ one story? Not many, I'm afraid--this seven-book cycle will turn out to be more than 1/4 of the annual GSTP (Gross Star Trek Product), and that's not counting other multi-book series within the Trek universe this year. It's a tendency towards grandiosity that's a step away from the old fashioned "space opera" format that made Trek the 35-year phenomenon which transcended the vast wasteland of TV where it has its roots--where boredom operates at tachyon speed. Okay, this book has a lot of the aspects that made TNG a success. Like Picard doing his usual thing of gaining the respect of cultures who think the Ferderation is otherwise populated by wusses. This trait in Picard makes him (don't you dare call me disloyal to Kirk!) the best skipper any Enterprise has ever had. We get to see Troi successfully command a ship in battle--being that I'm an admirer of hers, I like to see this strong but delightfully feminine woman get to prove she's more than just a shrink. And I get a kick out of watching her daddy's girl/ doting papa relationship with Picard. Worf shines here as a Federation statesman worthy of a Kissinger or Lodge--I like seeing him as more than just a skillful pair of hands with the bat'leth. But this whole idea of (blaring trumpet fanfare) "major sagas" is not what Star Trek is all about--why not leave that to descendants of Frank Herbert? Followers of Herbert and other "highbrow" SF have always sneered at Trek as being lightweight. Fine--I think of them as elitists and pseudo-intellectuals, got that? I've been a member of the Trek fanbase for all 35 years it's been around--why don't the people back in the real-life Trek Aitch-Cue listen to us like they used to. No more huge sagas! No more huge sagas! No more huge sagas! Or at least fewer of them, okay?

3.0 out of 5 stars Chaotic but enjoyable, Aug. 28 2001
Amazon Customer (Calabasas, CA USA) - See all my reviews
The title "Doors into Chaos" is extremely appropriate for this novel, the third in the Gateways saga. The story is in the beginning quite chaotic, jumping from scene to scene to set things up, but it soon settles into an elaborate and engrossing plot that continues to build as the pages turn. "Doors into Chaos" is the TNG installment in this series. As the story opens several things are all happening simultaneously. Gateways across the galaxy are turned on and various races, both familiar and unknown, begin to take advantage of the ability for instant transportation that they provide. Until they were activated the existence of these Gateways was unknown. It soon becomes apparent that stepping through the Gateways either intentionally or accidentally can lead to ramifications that no one could possibly foresee or guard against. Consequently Captain Picard and Counselor Troi have been summoned posthaste to Earth to attend an emergency conference. The ancient Iconians have returned. Or have they? Each of the major powers in the Alpha Quadrant has been approached by representatives of a race claiming to be the descendants of the legendary Iconians. They are the ones who have reactivated the Gateways and are offering the secret to controlling the technology to the highest bidder. War weary and still recovering from the Dominion war, Starfleet is suspicious of the mysterious aliens but at the same time must prevent the technology from falling into the hands of any potential aggressors. Admiral Ross calls upon Picard to head up a seemingly impossible mission. The first objective is for himself, Picard and Troi, to approach key Alpha Quadrant races and enlist their support in forming a task force of representative races to approach the Iconians as a united group. Some races decline to join with the Federation in this endeavor, being either unwilling or unable to cooperate. But others decide to join in, if for no other reason than to make sure that whatever is learned of the technology is shared. The second objective is for this convoy of ships to approach the Iconians and try to determine if they can either prove or reasonably be supposed to be who they claim to be. Harder still will be trying to persuade them to deactivate the Gateways while discussions about the technology are taking place. Comprised of Romulans, Klingons, Deltans, Ferengi, Gorn, and others, the Enterprise and this unlikely fleet prepares to confront the Iconians and attempt to learn just who and what is behind the riddle of the Gateways. Picard struggles to control his allies and their sometimes conflicting interests as elsewhere chaos is reigning across the quadrant and beyond. It does not take long for things to get out of hand and a fierce and deadly battle ensues. A battle that seems to provoke yet more questions, but whose outcome forces the Iconians to talk and to finally supply some answers to at least a portion of the riddle. In the end some of pieces of the puzzle are in place, but important ones are still missing as conditions across the galaxy are becoming more and more desperate. Just like the other commanders before him, Picard is forced to step through the Gateway in hopes that the answers they need can be found in what lays beyond. "Doors into Chaos" finally sees this series coming into focus. And certainly with this novel the series shifts into high gear. This fast paced story is a bit hard to follow at first. There are so many characters to be established and scenes unfolding as the author jumps from situation to situation setting up the plot that I found myself getting a bit frustrated at times trying to keep it all straight. Additionally I usually I enjoy a novel with lots of various Trek references to episodes and previous novels, and "Doors into Chaos" certainly has those in abundance, as well numerous cameos of characters from other series. But it's a bit forced at times, and sometimes more of a detriment to the flow of the story than an enhancement to the plot. Despite it's flaws "Doors into Chaos" was the best in the series so far. An enjoyable and interesting story that certainly holds your interest. The plotting and events moves quickly and if you enjoy long descriptive battle sequences you are in plenty of action. Overall I would call "Doors into Chaos" a good read. Not great but certainly worth the time, especially if you plan on reading the remaining Gateways novels.

ARRAY(0xba35b294)

Doors into Chaos (Star Trek The Next Generation: Gateways, Book 3)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01