5.0 out of 5 stars Still terrifying!
Published 18 months ago by Morgan Mom

3.0 out of 5 stars a good review
It had been many years since I read this novel so decided to read it again. I`m glad i did as I saw it this time from a slightly different perspective. I also chose to read it again as I wanted to be reminded of the story before I begin the sequel dealing with Danny as an adult. At times I became impatient with the speed at which the story was developing, it seemed to be...
Published 10 months ago by dancer

5.0 out of 5 stars Still terrifying!, Jan. 19 2013
Morgan Mom (New Brunswick, CANADA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Shining (Kindle Edition)
I had read this book back when it was released in the late 70's, and heard that a sequel was in the works for 2013. I bought the Kindle version, figuring that since I was no longer an easy-to-frighten teenager the book would just be a quick weekend read. Nope! My return to the Overlook was just as terrifying as the first time. I had forgotten all the subtle storylines that were omitted when it had been made into the movie.
I look forward to the release of his sequel this autumn!

4.0 out of 5 stars a bit predictable, but creepy, Oct. 20 2012
This review is from: The Shining (Mass Market Paperback)
We have all heard of the Shining. We all know it is one of Stephen King's greatest novels. But what exactly is it about? Personally, my only recollection of the story concerned a parody the Simpsons did several years ago. I knew a hotel was involved, something called "redrum," and lots of blood.

The book is brilliantly written, although some foreshadowing was a bit obvious. I really felt like we got to know the characters. Not only are we acquainted with their stay at the hotel, but we learn of their past struggles as a family. These past episodes add a depth to the characters that can be interpreted later in the story as being significant or not. Jack, the father, is a man with a history that is trying to support his family. He is an aspiring author and is looking forward to months of peace and quiet. His wife, Wendy, is along for the ride and plays a very supportive role. They have a little boy, Danny, and he is special.

Let's talk about the real aspect of the book: the horror. The horror was the believable type with a bit of supernatural essences thrown in. Or, if you'd like, it was purely believable. There were several scenes in the book with their fair share of gore, but also several creepy moments that I felt were more convincing than the gore itself. The book is not particularly scary, but it is absolutely creepy. Imagine being in a large hotel in the middle of a snowstorm, phones are out, radio doesn't work, and you can't escape. Then creepy things begin to happen. Ready to leave yet? This family all struggles with the hotel in their own way, and I felt the progression of the story with the winter was really fitting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, July 6 2014
Catherine A. Thompson (Kingston, New Brunswick, Canada) - See all my reviews
Classic King... you may think you know the story, but if you haven't read the book, you don't.

5.0 out of 5 stars just awesome, June 17 2014
This review is from: The Shining (Kindle Edition)
Stephen King is a true master of the art. Gripping, terrifying, engrossing. Exactly what I had hoped it would be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still fresh, June 17 2014
This review is from: The Shining (Kindle Edition)
I read this book as a teenager. After reading it again recently I still find it relevant and it still scares me. Hedge maze anyone??

5.0 out of 5 stars Pee Your Pants!, April 24 2014
This is a scarey novel!! A good bedtime read that you can not put down! Scare yourself today because there is always another King novel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, March 24 2014
It was in perfect condition, don't have any complaints at all. Pretty much what you can get from Coles or Indigo. Definitely gonna buy from 'em again!

Thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Love love Loved It, March 10 2014
This review is from: The Shining (Kindle Edition)
I love Stephen King book`s I have quite a number of them in my Library. I was watching the movie Shining and checked to see if had this book and didn`t and have never read it either. But I bought the sequel Dr. Sleep and was fascinated the characters are always exciting, what terror King weaves for them. I shall absolutely recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Night light required, Feb. 11 2014
This review is from: The Shining (Kindle Edition)
Scared the hell out of me. I'm a 40 year old man and I practically had to sleep with the light on after this read. The haters dealing with room 217, make me never want to frequent a hotel again. Loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourites, Jan. 31 2014
I love king and this is one of my favourites. Well written, spooky, page turner. Fans of king must read.

The Shining
The Shining by Stephen King (Mass Market Paperback - Aug. 28 2001)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01