4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing amazing amazing

Published on May 29 2004 by Matt

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing amazing amazing, March 25 2004
Drew DeVine (Kansas City, MO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Shining (Mass Market Paperback)
Before I read this book I was sure that a book could not be scary. I thought only movies could keep you up at night. But this book scared the crap out of me. This book is excellent if you haven't read any King before, despite what King "experts" say. You feel every emotion of the character. You feel the innocence of Danny, the confusion of Wendy, and most mindblowing, the insanity and desperation of Jack. Don't let either of those godforsaken movies mistake you, this is the ULTIMATE haunted house tale. Redrum!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still terrifying!, Jan. 19 2013
Morgan Mom (New Brunswick, CANADA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Shining (Kindle Edition)
I had read this book back when it was released in the late 70's, and heard that a sequel was in the works for 2013. I bought the Kindle version, figuring that since I was no longer an easy-to-frighten teenager the book would just be a quick weekend read. Nope! My return to the Overlook was just as terrifying as the first time. I had forgotten all the subtle storylines that were omitted when it had been made into the movie.
I look forward to the release of his sequel this autumn!

5.0 out of 5 stars Remains one of King's most powerful, frightening novels, July 4 2006
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Shining (Hardcover)
Almost three decades after its publication, The Shining remains a visceral, gripping read that showcases Stephen King's unfathomable powers to hypnotize and terrify readers, a power King had in abundance in the early stages of his career. Coming on the heels of Carrie and 'Salem's Lot, The Shining truly established King as a modern master of horror and an unequalled purveyor of a literary mirror into pop culture. If you've only seen the original movie starring Jack Nicholson, you really owe it to yourself to read the novel; Stanley Kubrick made a fine and scary movie, but he did not capture the essence of King's story, and his dramatization followed a different path than what you find in the original vision brought to life through the words of King. The more recent miniseries was more faithful to the novel, but it doesn't take an Einstein to figure out that a made-for-TV dramatization is limited in terms of what it can get away with in a number of important areas. Simply put, The Shining stands just behind Shirley Jackson's The House on Haunted Hill as one of the best "haunted house" novels ever written.

The plot should be quite familiar to one and all by this point. The Torrance family embarks on a months-long retreat into complete isolation when Jack Torrance signs on to be the winter custodian of the Overlook Hotel in Colorado. Jack takes some personal demons with him to a hotel chock-full of malevolent, ghostly spirits; he is a recovering alcoholic who, in the last couple of years, lost his job and broke his little boy's arm in a state of drunken fury. He thinks the months alone with his wife and son will allow him to find peace - and to finally finish the play he has been working on. His long-suffering wife has some misgivings, but the only person really clued into the dreadful possibilities is his son Danny. Danny has "the shine," a gift which allows him to see and know things he cannot possibly know; it is a powerful gift which the Overlook (which really is an entity unto itself) jealously desires for itself.

As the days pass, the Overlook exerts more and more of an influence on Jack, exploiting his weaknesses, exacerbating his paranoia and persecution complex, and basically turning him into a murderous new tool at the hotel's disposal. Danny sees what is happening, although he cannot really understand much of it given his very young age. He can certainly understand the terror of the Overlook, however, as he sees images of the hotel's murderous past and very dark near future in a number of unsettling scenes interspersed throughout the novel. This is a harrowing tale of survival against incredible odds of a supernatural nature, and King brings every nuance of the story to vivid life, capturing perfectly the internalization and externalization of fear among exceedingly real, believable characters that the reader gets to know very well indeed. As has always been the case with Stephen King, it is his incomparable powers of characterization that make the supernatural elements of his story work so amazingly well. You can't help but be emotionally committed to these characters.

The Shining really isn't one of my all-time favorite Stephen King novels, but it is exceedingly well crafted and features some of the most harrowing scenes to be found in King's immense body of work. Even though I had read the novel before and was quite familiar with the story in both its literary and cinematic manifestations, I was completely caught up in the story as I re-read it - to the point that I found myself flipping the pages faster than I normally do for a novel completely new to me. When you talk about the seminal works of modern horror, you have to talk about The Shining - it's just that good a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore both movies - the book is the best!, July 18 2004
This review is from: The Shining (Mass Market Paperback)
Over 25 years after it was published, "The Shining" remains ones of King's best novels to date. It is not simply the story of a supernatural hotel, but also the all-too-normal corruption and degradation that can exist within the human heart.
Jack Torrance is a deeply-flawed man, both as a husband and a father, and when the evil presence in the Overlook Hotel finds him, it exploits his every weakness. "The Shining" is a gripping book, and it is one of the few books of King's that I would say is truly frightening. King captures his characters here with a sharp eye for detail, and tells a powerful story.
This book has suffered not one, but two adaptations to screen (one by King himself), but neither of them really captured what makes The Shining such a standout novel, not just in King's work, but in the field of American letters in general. When King is considered, in years to come, one of the 20th century's great novelists, this will be one of the books studied extensively.

4.0 out of 5 stars a bit predictable, but creepy, Oct. 20 2012
This review is from: The Shining (Mass Market Paperback)
We have all heard of the Shining. We all know it is one of Stephen King's greatest novels. But what exactly is it about? Personally, my only recollection of the story concerned a parody the Simpsons did several years ago. I knew a hotel was involved, something called "redrum," and lots of blood.

The book is brilliantly written, although some foreshadowing was a bit obvious. I really felt like we got to know the characters. Not only are we acquainted with their stay at the hotel, but we learn of their past struggles as a family. These past episodes add a depth to the characters that can be interpreted later in the story as being significant or not. Jack, the father, is a man with a history that is trying to support his family. He is an aspiring author and is looking forward to months of peace and quiet. His wife, Wendy, is along for the ride and plays a very supportive role. They have a little boy, Danny, and he is special.

Let's talk about the real aspect of the book: the horror. The horror was the believable type with a bit of supernatural essences thrown in. Or, if you'd like, it was purely believable. There were several scenes in the book with their fair share of gore, but also several creepy moments that I felt were more convincing than the gore itself. The book is not particularly scary, but it is absolutely creepy. Imagine being in a large hotel in the middle of a snowstorm, phones are out, radio doesn't work, and you can't escape. Then creepy things begin to happen. Ready to leave yet? This family all struggles with the hotel in their own way, and I felt the progression of the story with the winter was really fitting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic horror fiction, July 16 2004
This review is from: The Shining (Mass Market Paperback)
The main reason that The Shining is so effective as a horror story is that the horror stems from both the characters' environment and the characters themselves, namely the father, a man struggling to recover from alcoholism and struggling to establish himself as a well-respected writer. The father's demons come alive in the creepy Overlook Hotel. And what's terrific about the book, in comparison to what I thought was a more mediocre movie version, are the unexpected moments of humanity; even when the father is beastly, you can see glimpses of his guilt, his remorse, and his overwhelming love for his young son, whom he keeps hurting.
In addition to all this human drama, the supernatural qualities of the hotel are terrifying. Let me put it this way - weeks after reading this book, I would pause before drawing open a bathtub or shower curtain. I could not look at playgrounds the same way. Stephen King knows how to toy with all your senses, and it's very disturbing. This is one of his best novels, if not the best, that he's ever written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stephen King's Best, July 12 2004
Erik Samson (San Fransisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Shining (Mass Market Paperback)
A homicidal Jack Torrence never screams "Heeeeeeeeeeeeeere's Johnny!" In Stephen king's classic novel. The story doesn't culminate in a frenzied chase through a hedge maze. There are no twin ghosts at the end of the hall inviting young Danny to come play. And no, Jack's novel does not consist entirely of the phrase "All work and no play make Jack a dull boy." In fact, almost every one of the Shining's cliches are the invention of Stanley Kubric, and they make for an ingenius movie. But for all of the film's merits, I maintain that the book was much better
The story of King's novel has passed into legend, so I guess I shouldn't have to retell it, but I believe it bears rtepeating, so here goes: Jack Torrence, ex-alchoholic, struggling writer, and decent family man, has taken a job as the winter caretaker for the luxurious Overlook hotel, a high-class Colorado resort located all the way up in the mountains. He and the family pack up and head for the hotel, expecting a nice winter in their big luxury hotel. Jack relishes this as the opportunity to work on that play he's been wanting to write. Wendy hopes the winter will bring the family together. And little Danny, well, he doesn't like the hotel. Soon they're snowed in, and that's when the trouble really starts. The hotel is haunted, and the ghosts aim to drive Jack crazy. Danny, thanks to a psychic voice in hs head named Tony, is the only one who can stop the madness. His only help is a cook, who is able to communicate with Danny by telepathy. Problem is, he's in Florida. Its the classic haunted house story, but beefed up with the brilliance of Stephen King.
And the Shining truly is an original novel. King's character developement is fantastic, without being tedious or bogging down the story. The plot is instantly engrossng and addictive. Danny's psychic trips are horrific, and powerfully written. The whole novel is full of strong imigary, which serves to set a dark, eerie mood, the constant feeling that something isn't right. The forray's into Jack's troubled past are fascinating, as are the discoveries Jack makes about the Overlook's unusual history.
Torrence's descent into madness is brilliantly doccumented, and makes for riveting reading. The story's climax is both satisfying and sad, wrapping everything up nicely and letting the story go out with a bang, so to speak.
In other words, movie: good. Book: better.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Haunted Hotel Story Ever Written!!, June 17 2004
Robert J. Schneider (Tacoma, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Shining (Mass Market Paperback)
Throughout the last century, there were many authors who wrote haunted house stories. In 1977, Stephen King beat 'em all with a haunted hotel story. You see, this is not just *any* haunted hotel story; this is THE SHINING.
THE SHINING is about several things, all tied up into one complex and multilayered whole. It is about a five-year-old boy who is impossibly mature and wise beyond his years, and who has a terrifying gift that seems as much a curse. It is about his father, a recovering alcoholic with demons in his soul and skeletons in his closet, who is battling both in order to keep his family financially afloat. It is about his wife, a doting mother who has braved the ups & downs of her husband's turbulence, who loves him, and who wants to trust him beyond his past mistakes but is just on this side of being unable to do so. It is about a classic, Art Deco hotel tucked deep within the Rocky Mountains of Colorado, whose name is respected but nevertheless has a mysteriously chequered past. It is about the ghosts that occupy this hotel, that wish to possess the above family but can only be seen by the boy and the head cook. It is about the head cook, an older black man who shares the same gift with the boy, and who develops a special friendship with him as a result. It is about a family who begin at their last chance for hope & unity, who end up fighting for their last chance at survival. This is THE SHINING.
THE SHINING is a true gestalt entity: it is more than the sum of its parts. Stephen King masterly intertwines all of the above elements, plus some truly frightening imagery, to create a novel of several hundred compulsively-turning pages that add up to one of the greatest experiences that I've ever had as a reader of fiction.
MOST RECOMMENDED; AGES 15 & UP

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written, but overrated ... and boring, May 29 2004
This review is from: The Shining (Mass Market Paperback)
I don't really get why people think this book is so scary because it really is not. I had to keep taking breaks and found myself rushing at the end because I was happily almost finished. In a few sentences, "The Shining" is about this boy, Danny, who has telepathic powers. Jack, his dad, takes this job as a winter custodian at a haunted Hotel, the Overlook, and he, his wife, Wendy, and son are going to live there for the season. Then strange, NOT scary things, start happening.
I read this book because:
1) My friend said it was scary and I haven't read a scary book in a LONG time.
2) I wanted to read the book before seeing Stanley Kubrick's movie.
And now after reading the book:
1) I'm no longer friends with the person that recommended this (just kidding).
2) I just watched the movie and it was NOTHING like the book, which was probably a good thing. Kubricks version was SO much more satisfying as a horror movie than King's so-called horror novel (and from what I've read King hated the film, pfff!).
I didn't HATE this book, thus the three stars. But I was very dissapointed. "Horror at an unflagging pace" was what one critic says. B.S.! I think as a horror novel this book fails because it's SLOW. The suspense is there, but not the punch. And nothing really got me. Too much time was spent on the hedge animals, which weren't scary to begin with. And I found it VERY hard to believe when one tried to KILL someone. The whole Masquerade ball was a borefest. "The elevator's moving! Oh god! Let's look inside. Party streamers and a wine glass! AHHHHHHH!" Give me a break. However, I have to admit that I did find the Woman in 217 and the Man dressed up as a Dog to be scary. So it wasn't a COMPLETE waste.
One thing I notice about King's books is they're very multi-layered. And you have to be pretty skilled to pull something like he does in here off without confusing the reader, so it proves he's a good writer, no doubting that. But the story behind the hotel was very boring. And the "unraveling" off the Overlook couldn't have been more uninteresting to me. And something I notice with King is that when he's "unraveling" the story BEHIND something, it's always found in a scrapbook. In "The Shining", Jack finds a white scrapbook with all these newspaper articles following the history and secret of the hotel. And in "Misery", another book by King, the story behind Annie is "revealed" through, guess what!, a SCRAPBOOK WITH NEWSPAPER ARTICLES IN THEM. Which NOW, leads me to how SIMILAR "Misery" is to "The Shining". Both about WRITERS trapped in a HOUSE/HOTEL in the WINTER. And if I were to tell you which of those to read it would definitely be "Misery", that's if you don't mind reading a boring book within a book (you'll get that once you read "Misery".)
But enough with the King bashing because I have to give him kudos for making such a multi-layered character like Jack Torrance because he is EXTREMELY well written. He has a lot of stories that make you sympathize with him and you actually like Jack, until he starts trying to, you know, KILL HIS KID AND WIFE. However all that interesting backstory about his alcoholism, job, and father means NOTHING once we reach the end.
I don't want to go on or else I'm going to give away the ending and stuff, but if you want to read a horror novel that is devoid of horror than I would recommend this one. However, I'm sure King has scarier books in his repertoire than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Shines On!, March 8 2004
Debi Crabtree "robertcrabtree3000" (Chattanooga, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Shining (Mass Market Paperback)
I have a friend who reads Stephen King, he said he doesn't really like the way he writes. He he did say, however, that THE SHINING scared the crap out of him and he kept insisting that I should read it. Altough, I am not easy to be "mentally disturbed" by scary books, I did think THE SHINING was very well written and very errie and suspenseful.
The book is very different fron the Jack Nicholson movie. For one thing, there are topiary animals in the Overlook playground that actually move and attack people like real creatures! When the Overlook hotel "claims" Jack, he attacks his family with a roque mallet instead of an axe. Hallorann, the Overlook's cook, is not killed. The twin "ghost girls" thing is different, it is described as a "creature" inside one of the play tubes in the hotel playground. The possessed Jack also dies in very different way! The movie was so different from the book, that I'm surprised that Stanley Kubrick (the director) didn't call it something like A SHINING or MY SHINING or something like that!
I reccomend this book to anyone who can read!

The Shining
The Shining by Stephen King (Mass Market Paperback - Aug. 28 2001)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01