4.0 out of 5 stars DS9: "Horn and Ivory": Kira's conclusion.
To be fair this is a rating of only one of the stories in the book. It is "Horn and Ivory", the conclusion of the DS9 Season 8 Relaunch book "Demons of Air and Darkness" (also book 4 of the Gateways septuplet).
Published on Feb. 4 2004 by The Professor

3.0 out of 5 stars Story-GOOD.... Extra Book-BAD
I didn't get into the Gateways series until this book was out in paperback, so I didn't have the continuity problems some others had.
Published on June 21 2004 by Adrian Jones

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Story-GOOD.... Extra Book-BAD, June 21 2004
Adrian Jones (Kansas City, KS USA) - See all my reviews
The stories (I read TNG, DS9, NF, and VOY) are great with TNG's being the best. However there was ABSOLUTELY NO reason for this last book. Every one of the conclusions in this book could have been added to the end of their original books. Being each ending was only about an extra couple of chapters.
One thing I was quite disappointed about upon receiving the book was that I originally thought that the last book would be some kind of compilation story where somehow the different crews interact in some manner. Instead the book is not one story to be read from cover to cover, but a compilation of a bunch of endings to the previous stories.
One thing readers should know about Gateways is that if you don't plan to read more than 2 of them you probably shouldn't read any of them unless you are comfortable with throwing away your money on the last book simply for two more chapters.

3.0 out of 5 stars can be skipped without losing continuity, April 18 2004
Gateways What Lay Beyond is a compilation of the conclusions to all of the Star Trek Gateways series. Personally I only read "Horn and Ivory" which is the conclusion to the Deep Space Nine Gateways series.
There is nothing astounding to the conclusion. First of all, I will warn everyone that spoilers follow. So stop reading now if you want don't want to know what happens.
The whole story is focused on Kira, none of the other DS9 crew plays a role. In the last Gateways book, we find Kira stranded on a deserted planet in the Delta Quadrant dieing of theta radiation poisoning and Taranatar recovering from a brutal fight with a Hirogen. We also know that at the end of the last Gateways book, Kira staggers into a gateway that keeps flashing between two places. We would expect something to happen like her being returned to DS9 or Bajor but that's not quite what happens. After staggering into the Gateway, Kira is transported to a familiar planet 30,000 years in the past. The rest of the story has nothing to do with solving the mystery of the Gateways, it only opens up more questions. Not until the final chapter do we find out what happened with the evacuation.
It's a nice litte story, but you can easily skip it and go on to the Deep Space Nine Gamma series.

4.0 out of 5 stars DS9: "Horn and Ivory": Kira's conclusion., Feb. 4 2004
I agree the marketing scheme of making dedicated readers buy the hardcover of this 7th book simply because it wraps up any (and every) one of the first 6 books is deceitful. Myself having read only the DS9 Gateway book as part of the relaunch, I was angered at the idea. Luckily, if you are reading this review, you no longer have to buy the hardcover, but can settle for the cheap paperback. Therefore, my review takes that into consideration.
I'll say that reading Book 4 and its conclusion in this book raised a few questions that I wonder as to whether or not they are solved/explained in the others Gateway books. I deem they probably are, and for that reason, perhaps buying this book simply for one book's conclusion rather than 6, is an incentive to go read the other books. Many have said the DS9 story is one of the best, and indeed I found it was excellent, but in time I may go back to read the other Gateway books. As it is, this is a review for "Horn and Ivory" by the marvelous deCandido.
At the conclusion of "Demons of Air and Darkness", Kira steps through a Gateway to be with what she believes are the Prophets. Where does it take her? Well of course it sends her back 30,000 years to a time of Bajor's past before the uniting of the world. At first, I did not realize that the entire sequel was only about Kira. By the time I had finished the short story, I was glad it was, because deCandido does the best job portraying Kira that I've read so far. You really start to understand her and feel what she feels. You get to understand Kira's nostalgia (of sorts) for the days of the Resistance, but more importantly you get to see her committed to being a good commander.
The plot. At first I was worried why we were in the old days, but slowly I got heavily involved into it and realized that where Kira had ended up had ties to her real life.
The book is about Kira rediscovering herself and understanding where she is in her life and coming to terms with what she's lost. At its base, the book asks: do you give up, or go on. The author certainly knows Kira well enough to answer the question for her, and I was glad watching her grow.
It was also wonderful getting to read about Bajor's fragile past before its unification and before the Prophets were worshipped by the majority of Bajor. Keith did an excellent job with this novel since to me it really didn't feel like a Trek novel or a DS9 novel, but more of a Medieval-type story with Kira thrust into it. Yet it works nicely somehow, and for that I give the book 4 stars. I couldn't give it 5 because though it does a good job, it deals only with Kira and none of the other DS9 crew. Only Garak's book, "A Stitch in Time" managed to pull off writing about one main DS9 character without becoming nostalgic for the other characters.
So there you have my brief review for what I consider to be Episode 6 of the DS9 Season 8 Relaunch novels. I read "Demons of Air and Darkness" in under two days, and immediately wanted to read the conclusion in this book. Thus my review is only for the DS9 Kira story, "Horn and Ivory" and not as a conclusion to the Gateway septuplet.
If you read "Demons of Air and Darkness" and tolerate or love Kira and want to know what happens to her at the end of that book, you'll want to read her conclusion. If you have not read "Demons of Air and Darkness", do not read "Horn and Ivory" as it does not stand well on its own (as it is not meant to!).

2.0 out of 5 stars Spectacularly Disappointing!, Feb. 20 2003
R2C (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gateways #7: What Lay Beyond (Star Trek) (Hardcover)
The series Book 1-6 was promising, if annoying for having a cliffhanger ending that forced you to buy the next book, or specificially the Book 7 which contains all the endings.
Well after being built-up by books 1-6, wondering if the inconsistencies between those books would be tied together in ST Gateways Book 7, wondering if Book 7 "the grand conclusion of what lay beyond" would put forth a good explanation for the Iconian mystery, tie all the loose ends together and provide good conclusions for the cliffhanger endings of books 1-6...............it was most most most disappointing to see that this was not the case.
Book 7 creates more inconsistencies and the endings are [bad]. Oh some of the endings were ok, but the final ending...for the TNG book in the series...which was SUPPOSED to tie everything together, totally messed it up and failed, completely failed to deliver! I mean...first in books 1-6 they established that once activated a gateway cannot be destroyed no matter what they threw at it because it will simply absorb the energy. THEN in Book 7...suddenly Gateways CAN be destroyed by explosive force...no explanation given!!! Just a lazy author who didn't even read the previous book he wrote and ignored all stuff he established in the previous book! Once again, this is a MAJOR LETDOWN!

2.0 out of 5 stars ST-Gateways: What Lay Beyond, Nov. 25 2002
This review is from: Gateways #7: What Lay Beyond (Star Trek) (Hardcover)
Star Trek-Gateways: What Lay Beyond written by Diane Carey et.al.is the culmination of a seven part series including all of the different genre of the Star Trek Universe.
Now, I'll be up front about this series... I'm not a fan of shelling out money for poor marketing and the way this series was presented to the reader was a downright travisty. I really do NOT understand the reasons why they (Paramount/Simon and Schuster) did this, save but one, to dig into the readers wallet.
Enough said, now, here is the contents:
Star Trek: One Giant Leap by Susan Wright
Star Trek Challenger: Exodus by Diane Carey
Star Trek DS-9: Horn and Ivory by Keith R.A. DeCandido
Star Trek Voyager: In the Queue by Christie Golden
Star Trek New Frontier Death After Life by Peter David
Star Trek TNG The Other Side by Robert Greenberger
Found in this volume are the conclusions to the above stories, but the hook is you have to buy the first six volume in order to make sense of these conclusions. This is why people believe they've been ripped off... and I can't blame them. I this was my idea, I'd expect a pink slip with my last pay check.
The only saving grace in this book is The Pocket Books STAR TREK Novels Timeline written by the Timeline Gang; Robert Bowling, Johan Ciamaglia, Ryan J. Cornelius, James R McCain, Alex Rosenzweig, Paul T.Semones, and Corey W. Tacker... with David Henderson and Lee Jamilkowski.
After you read the first six books you'll see what I mean, you really lose the flow of the story. But, now that all seven are available in paperback the contenuity should be easier to follow.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute But No Cigar, Nov. 14 2002
Arthur W. Jordin (Suwanee, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gateways #7: What Lay Beyond (Star Trek) (Hardcover)
The publishers of Star Trek novels have, once again, come up with a gimmick to entice readers into buying an additional and superfluous book. This book is just a collection of endings to the first six books in the mini-series! Cute, but no cigar.
Well, they conned me into buying the book. The other Gateways books were well enough written and I did want to read the endings, but I got the book from the library first and then decided to invest the extra money. Notice that this book came out in hardback whereas the others were only published as paperbacks. Apparently the endings of each book were worth saving more than the rest of each story. Of course, the mass market paperback version on this book was finally issued, but impatient souls such a myself just wouldn't wait.
Remember when they published Star Trek Year One as a trailer to other Star Trek novels? And then finally brought it out as a separate novel. The current ploy of delaying the endings had the same feel of a serial novel, but compounded by waiting for SIX finales.
This may be a radical idea, but why doesn't the publisher concentrate on putting out quality stories instead of cute gimmicks? Buy the paperback. Don't be like me and fork out the money for the hardback. Of course, if you really think it is worth the money, go ahead and buy the hardback. After all, that's what I did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wrapping up the Gateways Series, July 5 2002
STAR TREK
GATEWAYS
What Lay Beyond
AUTHORS: Diane Carey, Peter David, Keith R.A. DeCandidio,
Christie Golden, Robert Greenberger, & Susan Wright
PUBLISHER: Simon & Schuster
REVIEWED BY: Barbara Rhoades
BOOK REVIEW: The Gateways provide unimaginable distance travel in only a few seconds. Yet rather than just finding a new civilization, unwanted problems occur because people have gone through them. The builders of the Gateways, The Iconians, are back but do they come in peace or do they want something more. Read Gateways - What Lay Beyond to find the answer.
My suggestion would be to read this ONLY after reading the previous six that sets up everything that happens in this, the seventh book. So order all of them-
One Small Step (Star Trek: Gateways Book One)
Chainmail (Star Trek Challenger: Gateways Book Two)
Doors into Chaos (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Gateways Book Three)
Demons of Air and Darkness (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Gateways Book Four)
No Man's Land (Star Trek : Voyager : Gateways Book Five)
Cold Wars (Star Trek: New Frontier--Gateways, Book Six)
--and settle in for a good reading session.
The reader, David Kaye, is very good. The added sound effects detract from the stories to the point that sometimes you cannot hear what David is saying for sure. Notwithstanding, this is good ending book for the whole series. The only drawback I found to the whole series is that they did not interact with the others.

1.0 out of 5 stars Loud sucking noise, April 22 2002
P. Wales "pamw23" (Sacramento, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gateways #7: What Lay Beyond (Star Trek) (Hardcover)
The loud sucking noise is the $$ being sucked out of your wallet.
Once upon a time, Star Trek hardcovers were saved for truly excellent ST stories (e.g., Spock's World, Sarek, Prime Directive, Pathways). Then they slipped a notch, but were still *decent* reads (e.g., Best Destiny, Imzadi, Shadows on the Sun, Kahless). Then the quality slipped another notch, but the books were still worth buying used ... or borrowing from the public library (e.g., Genesis Wave (Books I and II), Imzadi II, I,Q., Warped).
And once upon a time, even the "series" books were pretty decent reads (e.g., Invasion, Millennium, Section 31).
But, now...a whole new low!
The editors really missed the mark with this finale to a rather interesting premise. They should have just added a few more pages to each of the other six books in the series (especially considering how much paperbacks cost these days!) and saved the hardcover (and my $$) for a really GOOD book, instead of engaging in this marketing ploy to part us from our hard-earned cash.
Borrow this one from the library (just to read the TNG part)...don't even waste money on it from the used book store, unless you can find it for less than a buck.
I used to just be disappointed in the way the novels are "slipping" in quality - but now, I'm really angry. Listen up, ST editors at PocketBooks: Here's one Star Trek fan who will be very wary of all of those "Book X of Y" series that seem to be all that you can publish lately. In fact, I will no longer buy a single one until after the whole "set" is released, so I can see what I'm getting first!

3.0 out of 5 stars THE GOOD AND THE BAD...., Feb. 26 2002
This review is from: Gateways #7: What Lay Beyond (Star Trek) (Hardcover)
I ENJOYED GATEWAYS: BOOK 7 - BUT I HAVE A FEW PROVERBIAL BONES TO PICK. FIRST OFF, THE MYSTERY OF THE ICONIANS IS NEVER WHOLLY EXPLAINED. (I.E. WHY THEIR HOME PLANET WAS BOMBARDED, WHERE THEY WENT TO IN THE UNIVERSE, HOW THEIR ORIGINS STARTED, ETC.)
THE FIRST STORY, FEATURING JAMES KIRK, WRAPPED UP THE EVENTS THAT BEGAN IN THE BOOK 'ONE SMALL STEP.' WHILE THE CLOSURE WAS NICE, IT SOMEHOW FELT TO BE A BIT OF AN ANTI-CLIMAX.
THE SECOND STORY, FEATURING THE CREW OF THE 'CHALLENGER' IS VERY INTERESTING. I WILL BE LOOKING FOWARD TO THE CONTINUATION OF THIS STORY IN THIS WONDERFULLY WRITTEN ORIGINAL BOOK SERIES.
THE THIRD STORY, FEATURING THE CREW OF 'DEEP SPACE NINE', HAD AN INTERESTING TWIST TO IT. I WAS SURPRISED TO SEE WHERE COLONEL KIRA ENDED UP WHEN SHE ENTERED THE GATEWAY LOCATED ON A HOSTILE PLANET IN THE DELTA QUADRANT.
THE FOURTH STORY, FEATURING THE CREW OF 'VOYAGER', WAS GREAT. I REALLY LIKED ALL OF THE DIVERSE ALIENS THAT WERE FEATURED HERE. AS FOR WHO THE TRUE OWNER OF BARKLEY/FLUFFY IS, WELL, THE HIDDEN MEANING IN THE TITLE OF THIS PARTICULAR STORY SHOULD TELL YOU THAT. BUT, WHILE I LIKED THIS STORY A LOT, I FELT THAT THE ENDING WAS TOO NEATLY WRAPPED-UP.
THE FIFTH STORY, FEATURING THE CREW OF THE ORIGINAL BOOK SERIES 'EXCALIBER', WAS MY LEAST FAVORITE. FIRST OFF, YOU NEVER HAD ANY RESOLUTION WITH THE EVENTS THAT TOOK PLACE IN GATEWAYS: BOOK SIX. WHO/WHAT WAS THE 'GIANT' THAT THE TWO PETRAW CREATURES (BOTH NAMED SMYTT, ONE MALE, ONE FEMALE, BOTH FROM ALTERNATE UNIVERSES [?!]) WERE TALKING ABOUT? WHAT DID THE 'GIANT' TELL THEM, AND HOW/WHY DID THIS 'GIANT' LIE TO THEM? AND LIE TO THEM ABOUT WHAT? ALTHOUGH, I WILL GIVE AUTHOR PETER DAVID CREDIT FOR USING THE HARDLY EVER-USED STAR TREK: THE ANIMATED SERIES CHARACTERS OF M'RESS AND AREX.
THE SIXTH STORY WITH THE CREW OF THE 'NEXT GENERATION', WAS O.K. I THINK THAT IN THE WRITER'S OF THE TNG EPISODE 'CONTAGION' (THE EPISODE THAT FIRST INTRODUCED THE ICONIAN SPECIES), MADE THE ICONIAN CIVILIZATION SEEM SO GRAND THAT ANY ADDITIONAL STORIES/INFO, WOULD MAKE THEM SEEM LESS THAN THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO BE (THAT IS WHY I HOPE THAT WE NEVER KNOW THE TRUE ORIGINS OF THE BORG, THE CHARACTER OF GUINAN, AND THE Q CONTINUUM). EVEN PICARD WAS DISAPPOINTED AFTER MEETING THEM. THE ONE THING IN THIS PARTICULAR STORY THAT IS UNFORGIVABLE IS THE FACT THAT THE WRITER REFERS TO TITAN (THE LARGEST MOON THAT ORBITS *SATURN*) AS *JUPITER'S* LARGEST MOON!!! IN MY OPINION, A MISTAKE LIKE THAT IN ANY STAR TREK NOVEL IS UNACCEPTABLE.
ALL IN ALL, I SUGGEST THAT YOU WAIT AND SEE IF A PAPERBACK VERSION OF THIS BOOK COMES OUT. THE MONEY PAID FOR THE HARDCOVER EDITION JUST DOESN'T SEEM WORTH IT.

2.0 out of 5 stars Astoundingly disappointing., Jan. 9 2002
Diane Bellomo (Baltimore, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gateways #7: What Lay Beyond (Star Trek) (Hardcover)
After having read all the Gateways novels (except TOS, which I skimmed), I was *so* ready to read this book, so ready to learn the fates of all my favorite characters and to learn once and for all what happens with the gateways! Oh...(heavy sigh), well, I *did* learn fates, and I *did* learn what happens with the gateways, but...but...it was all just so, so - not to put too fine a point on it - dull. The individual novels were *much* more entertaining than these little "conclusions."
I agree with other reviewers who've said these stories might have been better received had they stayed with their original novels, rather than gone into their own book (hardcover, no less). An ugly little marketing ploy, methinks, and one I shall be on the lookout for in the future.
While all the stories contained the predictable amount of adventure, humor and hijinks, and the TNG installment sewed up the Iconian connection, none of them were what I'd call keepers. We got some good Bajoran history, a goofy Q story, some ice and snow, time jumps and dead people, and an impressive amount of continuity, but for the most part, yawn.
Some advice: *Definitely* read the individual novels first (TOS, too, if you're into it), but don't read them exactly in the order they are numbered. Save TNG until last, instead of in the Book Three spot it's in. That's the order the final stories appear in this book (TOS, CH, DS9, VOY, NF, TNG), and it made more sense that way.
Also, don't bother buying it unless you absolutely *must* have an entire set, and even then, wait for the paperback at the second-hand book store, which shouldn't be long in coming. That having been said, another reason you might want to have this particular book in your collection is for the pretty darned incredible "Pocket Books Star Trek Novel Timeline" in the back. Twenty-six pages worth, including everything from Strange New Worlds stories to audio and ebooks through December 2001. Mighty impressive, I must say.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Gateways #7: What Lay Beyond (Star Trek)
Gateways #7: What Lay Beyond (Star Trek) by Diane Carey Peter David Keith R. A. DeCandido Christie Golden Robert Greenberger Susan Wright (Hardcover - 2001)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.40