Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store NFL Tools

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(3 star)show all reviews
on June 21, 2004
I didn't get into the Gateways series until this book was out in paperback, so I didn't have the continuity problems some others had.
The stories (I read TNG, DS9, NF, and VOY) are great with TNG's being the best. However there was ABSOLUTELY NO reason for this last book. Every one of the conclusions in this book could have been added to the end of their original books. Being each ending was only about an extra couple of chapters.
One thing I was quite disappointed about upon receiving the book was that I originally thought that the last book would be some kind of compilation story where somehow the different crews interact in some manner. Instead the book is not one story to be read from cover to cover, but a compilation of a bunch of endings to the previous stories.
One thing readers should know about Gateways is that if you don't plan to read more than 2 of them you probably shouldn't read any of them unless you are comfortable with throwing away your money on the last book simply for two more chapters.
on April 18, 2004
Gateways What Lay Beyond is a compilation of the conclusions to all of the Star Trek Gateways series. Personally I only read "Horn and Ivory" which is the conclusion to the Deep Space Nine Gateways series.
There is nothing astounding to the conclusion. First of all, I will warn everyone that spoilers follow. So stop reading now if you want don't want to know what happens.
The whole story is focused on Kira, none of the other DS9 crew plays a role. In the last Gateways book, we find Kira stranded on a deserted planet in the Delta Quadrant dieing of theta radiation poisoning and Taranatar recovering from a brutal fight with a Hirogen. We also know that at the end of the last Gateways book, Kira staggers into a gateway that keeps flashing between two places. We would expect something to happen like her being returned to DS9 or Bajor but that's not quite what happens. After staggering into the Gateway, Kira is transported to a familiar planet 30,000 years in the past. The rest of the story has nothing to do with solving the mystery of the Gateways, it only opens up more questions. Not until the final chapter do we find out what happened with the evacuation.
It's a nice litte story, but you can easily skip it and go on to the Deep Space Nine Gamma series.
on November 14, 2002
The publishers of Star Trek novels have, once again, come up with a gimmick to entice readers into buying an additional and superfluous book. This book is just a collection of endings to the first six books in the mini-series! Cute, but no cigar.
Well, they conned me into buying the book. The other Gateways books were well enough written and I did want to read the endings, but I got the book from the library first and then decided to invest the extra money. Notice that this book came out in hardback whereas the others were only published as paperbacks. Apparently the endings of each book were worth saving more than the rest of each story. Of course, the mass market paperback version on this book was finally issued, but impatient souls such a myself just wouldn't wait.
Remember when they published Star Trek Year One as a trailer to other Star Trek novels? And then finally brought it out as a separate novel. The current ploy of delaying the endings had the same feel of a serial novel, but compounded by waiting for SIX finales.
This may be a radical idea, but why doesn't the publisher concentrate on putting out quality stories instead of cute gimmicks? Buy the paperback. Don't be like me and fork out the money for the hardback. Of course, if you really think it is worth the money, go ahead and buy the hardback. After all, that's what I did.
on February 26, 2002
I ENJOYED GATEWAYS: BOOK 7 - BUT I HAVE A FEW PROVERBIAL BONES TO PICK. FIRST OFF, THE MYSTERY OF THE ICONIANS IS NEVER WHOLLY EXPLAINED. (I.E. WHY THEIR HOME PLANET WAS BOMBARDED, WHERE THEY WENT TO IN THE UNIVERSE, HOW THEIR ORIGINS STARTED, ETC.)
THE FIRST STORY, FEATURING JAMES KIRK, WRAPPED UP THE EVENTS THAT BEGAN IN THE BOOK 'ONE SMALL STEP.' WHILE THE CLOSURE WAS NICE, IT SOMEHOW FELT TO BE A BIT OF AN ANTI-CLIMAX.
THE SECOND STORY, FEATURING THE CREW OF THE 'CHALLENGER' IS VERY INTERESTING. I WILL BE LOOKING FOWARD TO THE CONTINUATION OF THIS STORY IN THIS WONDERFULLY WRITTEN ORIGINAL BOOK SERIES.
THE THIRD STORY, FEATURING THE CREW OF 'DEEP SPACE NINE', HAD AN INTERESTING TWIST TO IT. I WAS SURPRISED TO SEE WHERE COLONEL KIRA ENDED UP WHEN SHE ENTERED THE GATEWAY LOCATED ON A HOSTILE PLANET IN THE DELTA QUADRANT.
THE FOURTH STORY, FEATURING THE CREW OF 'VOYAGER', WAS GREAT. I REALLY LIKED ALL OF THE DIVERSE ALIENS THAT WERE FEATURED HERE. AS FOR WHO THE TRUE OWNER OF BARKLEY/FLUFFY IS, WELL, THE HIDDEN MEANING IN THE TITLE OF THIS PARTICULAR STORY SHOULD TELL YOU THAT. BUT, WHILE I LIKED THIS STORY A LOT, I FELT THAT THE ENDING WAS TOO NEATLY WRAPPED-UP.
THE FIFTH STORY, FEATURING THE CREW OF THE ORIGINAL BOOK SERIES 'EXCALIBER', WAS MY LEAST FAVORITE. FIRST OFF, YOU NEVER HAD ANY RESOLUTION WITH THE EVENTS THAT TOOK PLACE IN GATEWAYS: BOOK SIX. WHO/WHAT WAS THE 'GIANT' THAT THE TWO PETRAW CREATURES (BOTH NAMED SMYTT, ONE MALE, ONE FEMALE, BOTH FROM ALTERNATE UNIVERSES [?!]) WERE TALKING ABOUT? WHAT DID THE 'GIANT' TELL THEM, AND HOW/WHY DID THIS 'GIANT' LIE TO THEM? AND LIE TO THEM ABOUT WHAT? ALTHOUGH, I WILL GIVE AUTHOR PETER DAVID CREDIT FOR USING THE HARDLY EVER-USED STAR TREK: THE ANIMATED SERIES CHARACTERS OF M'RESS AND AREX.
THE SIXTH STORY WITH THE CREW OF THE 'NEXT GENERATION', WAS O.K. I THINK THAT IN THE WRITER'S OF THE TNG EPISODE 'CONTAGION' (THE EPISODE THAT FIRST INTRODUCED THE ICONIAN SPECIES), MADE THE ICONIAN CIVILIZATION SEEM SO GRAND THAT ANY ADDITIONAL STORIES/INFO, WOULD MAKE THEM SEEM LESS THAN THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO BE (THAT IS WHY I HOPE THAT WE NEVER KNOW THE TRUE ORIGINS OF THE BORG, THE CHARACTER OF GUINAN, AND THE Q CONTINUUM). EVEN PICARD WAS DISAPPOINTED AFTER MEETING THEM. THE ONE THING IN THIS PARTICULAR STORY THAT IS UNFORGIVABLE IS THE FACT THAT THE WRITER REFERS TO TITAN (THE LARGEST MOON THAT ORBITS *SATURN*) AS *JUPITER'S* LARGEST MOON!!! IN MY OPINION, A MISTAKE LIKE THAT IN ANY STAR TREK NOVEL IS UNACCEPTABLE.
ALL IN ALL, I SUGGEST THAT YOU WAIT AND SEE IF A PAPERBACK VERSION OF THIS BOOK COMES OUT. THE MONEY PAID FOR THE HARDCOVER EDITION JUST DOESN'T SEEM WORTH IT.
on December 17, 2001
Although publishing the last part as a hardcover is a marketing decision I am not too happy about, if I really enjoyed the book after reading it I don`t mind the extra cost any more. I like short stories and welcomed the idea of getting a collection of stories featuring each captain. But first of all I was hoping for an exciting finale and that at least some of these captains will actually meet and work together.
Some of these stories are excellent. My favourite is the NF story "Death after Life" which shows a very important development in the relationship of captains Calhoun and Shelby which will not only have consequences for their marriage but also gave some very interesting insights into Calhoun and his Xenexian heritage. I loved it. It is a well written, very touching story.
I also liked the DS9 story a lot which offers an interesting look at Bajor`s distant past and how it formed this society today. The decision Kira made at the end of the story will have consequences for future DS9 Relaunch books. The Challenger story was good as well although I very much disliked the continuation of the story dealing with Bonifay.
The TOS story isn`t my taste, the VOY one is nice but nothing special and the TNG one which was chosen to bring the overall story to a conclusion was average at best which was a big disappointment to me. It lacks passion and is hardly thrilling. At least it offers all the answers but everything was so easy and convenient. What disappointed me most is that the huge opportunity to allow these captains to actually meet and work together was wasted. It is nevertheless a crossover but at best such contacts happen over the com link.
Nevertheless, I don`t consider this book a waste of money because I wouldn`t have wanted to miss some of these stories.
on November 11, 2001
I suppose that when you are trying to squeeze the final chapters of six previous titles into a single 318 page book something has to give. Unfortunately, in the case of "What Lay Beyond," what gave was plot and character development.
Each of the previous stand alone titles ran roughly 300 pages. Each was a cliff hanger that dropped the reader off with each of the captains of the assorted starships stepping through a different portal in space, setting up the premise for each chapter of "What Lay Beyond."
This truncating of the story lines reduced what should have been a series of "amazing journeys" to six "Let's wrap it up!" vignettes. Almost all the these short stories has a "then he did such and such" construction that wouldn't survive most freshman composition classes. In fact, the short stories in the various "Strange New Worlds" collections shine much brighter than these toss offs.
In a move that has a "what were they thinking?" quality, several characters and storylines developed in the previous stand alone titles are never mentioned or resolved. With no indication that they will be in the near future.
This is really a shame. The newer stories featuring the crews of "Challenger" and "New Frontier" are fun and interesting to read. They deserved better.
on October 30, 2001
I was skeptical of this crossover from the beginning. Six Trek franchises and one building point, with each stand-alone tossing their respective captains (or colonel) into unknown dangers. Kirk's conclusion was probably the worst; yes, we learned a little about the Petraw, but who really cares?
Diane Carey's Challenger conclusion was alright; with the release of the next Challenger novel, we'll see some aftershocks of Keller's final decision.
Colonel Kira's story was much better; we learn something about Bajor's past (we're talking ancient past here) and Kira grows in her role as DS9's commanding officer. Plus, we first meet the Iconians in this story.
Then comes Janeway. From the you-know-it-was-going-to-happen department, she meets Q. Long story short, Hirogen get the murderer and prepare to torture him, ships get sent home, and Q snaps No Man's Land into nothing.
New Frontier: Xenexian Valhalla. Add Shelby & Calhoun. Sprinkle the usual Peter David flair and you have the stand-out story.
Next Generation: Picard meets the Iconians; he's the Federation's expert, so no surprise here. What is a surprise, however, is how the Gateways are shut down and who is responsible.
It was good, not great, but if you need to know what happens, pick it up.
on January 17, 2002
The book was a disappointment like many of the reviewers have stated here. I did enjoy the NF and DS9 stories. The DS9 in particular for me was excellent. I thought the weakest was the Challenger story and it seemed to be the one that had the least connection with the whole Gateway story. The other stories refer to each other a little but the Challenger one nothing at all. It's a separate universe bascially. I also felt that the ending really was lacking. Basically the book like the series had it's high point and low points.