5.0 out of 5 stars A must for anyone who likes fantasy/sci-fi books
Okay, to tell you the truth, I picked up this book by absolute chance. I was in the public library and decided to randomly pull a book off the shelves. I picked Pendragon: The Merchant of Death. Being a fan of fantasy books (and because I thought the cover looked interesting) I decided to check it out. I liked it immediately.
The characters are actually realistic and...
Published on June 28 2004 by S. Mathew

3.0 out of 5 stars Great adventure.
Published on Jan. 9 2011 by Karoline

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for anyone who likes fantasy/sci-fi books, June 28 2004
S. Mathew (Long Island, NY, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Merchant of Death (Paperback)
The characters are actually realistic and have depth to them. With characters like Bobby, Courtney, and Mark, you get completely normal kids you can relate to. With Uncle Press you are given an enigma, who always seems to know more than you and so on. You also get the traditional bad guy in Saint Dane. I can compare him to Lord Voldemort from the Harry Potter, except for the fact that he doesn't have a huge group of followers.
Actually, you can compare most of the Pendragon characters to those of Harry Potter Bobby to Harry, Mark to Ron, and Press to Dumbledore, etc.
The thing that I thought really set these books apart were the settings which were all original, strange and exciting. I also thought that the concept of different territories in the universe and one impossible-to-catch man trying to send them all into chaos interesting.
I was also able to appreciate these books because Bobby isn't one of those hero's who know what they're doing, he seems just as confused as the rest of us, which makes it all the more better.
I could barely put this book down after I started reading and I recommend them to anyone who likes sci-fi/ fantasy books as well as to anyone who has read the Harry Potter books and liked them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great adventure., Jan. 9 2011
Karoline (Richmond BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Merchant of Death (Paperback)
I can most definitely see how this book caters to boys. It's practically filled with action from cover to cover, and Bobby as the main narrator does a good job to keep you interested. I still have to say, I find him hard to like. He's a bit arrogant and cocky, and at times stupidity seems to come into his head and he makes the wrong decisions when the right ones are necessary (and life saving). However I can't help but also be caught up in the story. I suppose the way he narrates it was good and engaging enough to keep my attention.

I do like the concept and the idea of this book. It was interesting and very different from what I'm used to reading. The concept actually reminds me of the television show Sliders (of course with obvious differences) which is one of the main reasons why I thought this book was good. Some chapters also take place on 'Second Earth' (supposedly where we live) and features Courtney (Bobby's girlfriend) and Mark (Bobby's nerdy but very reliable friend). They're two typical sidekicks to the story but it adds more substance to the plot and goes to show you how the fantasy element works in the book. It's also a nice secondary storyline and gives you an insight on what happens when Bobby is away from home. Life goes on on Second Earth but I'm sure questions will be raised when Bobby and his family have extended their absence for a very long time.

Although I like the action in the book, there just seems to be something missing. I liked it but felt that I did not enjoy it as much. Although the characters are well thought out they just did not have any 'feel' to them and were like wooden puppets. Except for Bobby (obviously, as he's the main character). It would help if there's more substance and depth to the supporting cast as well.

I'd say give this book a go if you want an action packed read without anything too complex. The worlds are well written, the fantasy element is different, and I'm going to be picking up the second one for sure. There's lots of unanswered questions (like the whereabouts of Bobby's parents) that I want to know the answers to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Excellent!, Jan. 29 2007
This review is from: The Merchant of Death (Paperback)
The Pendragon books are by far some of the best books I have ever read. It is one of my favorite book series'. I recommend these books to anyone and everyone, especially those who are interested in novels with elements of fantasy and/or action. I've been reading them for years, and I still find myself waiting anxiously for the next books to come out. Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Adventure Story, July 10 2004
This review is from: The Merchant of Death (Paperback)
I liked Pendragon becaue he can travel through Flumes, has a fun uncle, could go to different times, gets into bad situations is scary, is fun. I think that if you like adventure stories like The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings then you will like this book too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beats Its All! Bets book I've ever read!, July 10 2004
This review is from: The Merchant of Death (Paperback)
It starts out with a little romance, and then Bobby Pendragon's "perfect" life turns into a mess when Uncle Press comes to take Bobby for a wild ride. During this first book- Bobby, who learns he is a travler, meet a new friend warrior travler, name Loor. Loor kicks butt! But does not think Bobby is worthy of his new found powers until the end. A 10 star book out fo 5 stars! Better than Harry Potter! The Best book I have read in my life- so far. Read the series and you will fall in love with Press, ~Bobby~, Loor, Alden, and many new charactors to come. You will fall in love with its charm!:)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Merchant of Death, July 5 2004
This review is from: The Merchant of Death (Paperback)
I just got this book, and wasn't very enthusiastic about reading it. I know, I know, HUGE surprise, huh?
The first few pages, I started to think 'Who the heck uses the words 'yo' or 'coolio' any more? Oh, God, PLEASE don't tell me this is another one of those terrible tween novels...'
I got a surprise. A rather large surprise...
Pretty much everything fantasy-wise has been done before. You have to agree with me there. We have kids going into worlds through wardrobes, we have adults able to teleport themselves through fireplaces... all in all, everything has been done. Except for Pendragon.
They have doorways into other worlds and times that you access by saying a word. Magical beings with the same name but different coverings guard these doorways. The only people that are allowed to travel through these doorways are special 'Travelers' that exist solely to save the world and defeat the bad guy.
The bad guy, in this case, happens to be an evil man that can change shape at will and whose natural form is a guy with piercing blue eyes.
Bobby Pendragon knows nothing about this when he is enlisted by his 'uncle' to go and help some people do something. What? He doesn't know. How? Why? Those aren't answered either.
Turns out there's a revolution starting in a territory called 'Denduron'. And Pendragon has been enlisted to help a pretty much hopeless cause and make it so that the slaves of the Bedoowan end up living in peace with their masters...
I loved this book... and I'm about to persuade my friends to read it. Come on, kiddoes... you know you want to...

5.0 out of 5 stars A great new series, June 30 2004
This review is from: The Merchant of Death (Paperback)
This book is great it is only second to the harry potter series This is the first and best instalment ind the series

5.0 out of 5 stars surprise, June 5 2004
By A Customer
I borrowed the "merchant of Death" from a friend. I was a tad skeptical and was slow to getting around to reading it. I was amazed it had a lot of depth behind a basic plot. D.J. MacHale developed an amazing universe that has readers on their toes and draws them in with each word. The plot is so good with twists around every corner. There is always little mysteries of traveler life bobby (and i)are trying to figure out. I disagree that the age is 9-12 however. Bobby is easy to relate to as well (not that i am a traveler hoping through time and space.) I am now eagerly devouring the next book. I cant put it down!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best series I have ever read!!!!, June 3 2004
Charlie (Wisconsin USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Merchant of Death (Paperback)
This book is one of the best books ever and I suggested it to everyone I know that likes a book with fantasy, adventure, and action. Everyone should read this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as Harry Potter, May 31 2004
This review is from: The Merchant of Death (Paperback)
I picked up this book at Hudsons just to test the series. I ended up staying awake until midnight for several nights to finish this book. It is my FAVORITE book and I quickly finished the series. I have recomende this book to several of my friends and they have loved it as well. This book is truly as good as the Harry Potter series!!!

ARRAY(0xb286f8e8)

The Merchant of Death
The Merchant of Death by D.J. MacHale (Paperback - Sept. 1 2002)
CDN$ 11.99 CDN$ 10.79