Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage summerbaby Cook Kindle Music Deals Store Cycling Tools minions

on January 3, 2004
This is probably the best of the series, in terms of the quality of the stories and the number that I read often. The Original Series section has an incredible story about Captain Pike in his crippled body with an active mind. It has two other great stories, including the first by Dayton Ward, now a well-established Trek author. It also has a light but good tribble story. The TNG section has mostly humorous stories, featuring Reg Barclay, Ro Laren, and Data - twice, once with Spot. There are also two strong stories featuring Picard, including his first meeting with Guinan. The grammar is strange but it is better than the full-size novel "Oblivion". There are also great stories about Q confronting the rest of the Continuum over his introduction of humanity to the Borg and about the Enterprise-D on its own. The DS9 stories are good but not great, a decided contrast to the rest of the collection. The Voyager stories unintentionally point out just how bad the writing in the televised episodes were by being so good. There are three action stories, a creepy ghost story, and a wonderful sequel to the Original Series episode "The Corbomite Maneuver". This should be an automatic choice for anyone with any of the other Strange New World books, and I would recommend it as the first one to buy for anyone unsure about the series.
on April 21, 2003
After years and years of requests to do so, Pocket Books and Paramount were finally able to come up with a way to publish fan fiction which culminated in this, the first of the Strange New Worlds anthologies. Prior to this I�d had only one other experience with fan fiction which I found to be quite enjoyable and I figured this would be the case here and it was. Although I found a few of the stories to have been somewhat tedious, taken as a whole, Strange New Worlds I is an enjoyable Star Trek experience and I look forward to reading the latest editions of them. It is interesting to finally now have read through this anthology and have the advantage of a couple years to see which of the authors within were able to become professional writers based on their experience with Strange New Worlds and of course their talented writing.
Star Trek
A Private Anecdote (Grand Prize winner) by Landon Cary Dalton **** - This is an interesting and very intriguing tale about Captain Pike. I believe it to be somewhat prior to �The Menagerie, Parts I & II�.
The Last Tribble by Keith L. Davis ***** - I found this particular story to be quite well written and very interesting as the author takes us through what happened to Cyrano Jones after �The Trouble with Tribbles.�
The Lights in the Sky (Third Prize winner) by Phaedra M. Weldon *** - I found this story to be somewhat interesting as the author brought closure to what happened to Shahna after �The Gamesters of Triskelion.�
Reflections by Dayton Ward ***** - I found this authors writing to be quite fluid and a perfect fit for Star Trek. It is no wonder at all as to why he continued on from here to being a professional author. The author takes us to when Captain Kirk died and that �split� second of time where he looks up and says �Oh my� and during that time Kirk is taken to the Organians who were originally seen in �Errand of Mercy.�
Star Trek The Next Generation
What Went Through Data�s Mind 0.68 Seconds Before the Satellite Hit by Dylan Otto Krider **** - The author did a wonderful job of capturing Data�s �style� in this particularly intriguing short story.
The Naked Truth by Jerry M. Wolfe ***** - This is a great Barclay story as the author takes us through the nervous engineers first away mission in which he�s in command.
The First by Peg Robinson - ***** - This is a great and very original story as the author brings us into the world of the Enterprise during the Dominion War. A less technologically advanced species, more specifically one of them shows up in the middle of contested space using technology that would benefit the Dominion greatly. Fortunately Picard and the Enterprise reach her prior to the Jem�Hadar.
See Spot Run by Kathy Oltion ***** - This is a very funny story and again this is why this particular author has gone on to author/co author other published Trek with her husband. As the title would suggest, the most unlikely of all heroes is about to have his/her day.
Together Again, for the First Time by Bobbie Benton Hull ***** - This is an absolutely wonderful tale about Guinan and her arranging the first meeting between her and Picard.
Civil Disobedience by Alara Rogers ***** - The author did a wonderful job with this story depicting the trials and tribulations Q went through to get Picard and the Enterprise through the events depicted in �Best of Both Worlds� parts I & II.
Of Cabbages and Kings (Second Prize winner) by Franklin Thatcher ***** - Out of all of the stories within this anthology, for me this was the best of them. The Enterprise suddenly finds itself far away from home minus its crew and must figure out what to do from there based on its programming.
Star Trek Deep Space Nine
Life�s Lessons by Christina F. York ***** - This is another example of one of the authors whose work brought them to the professional ranks of Trek publishing. Nog is back from the Academy and he�s found he has more than a casual interest in Mrs. O�Brien.
Where I Fell Before My Enemy by Vince Bonasso ***** - This is an extremely interesting tale about Captain Sisko finding himself with the exact same Gorn and on the same planet as Kirk as depicted in �Arena.�
Star Trek Voyager
Good Night, Voyager by Patrick Cumby **** - This is an interesting tale about the consequences of the bio neural network failing on the ship.
Ambassador at Large by J.A. Rosales ***** - This is a great tale that brings some closure to what happened to Bailey after the �The Corbomite Maneuver.�
Fiction by jaQ Andrews ***** - This is another outstanding tale about the crew of the Voyager believing their ship was destroyed and that they�ve been living on a planet for the last three years.
I, Voyager by Jackee C. ***** - This is a somewhat intriguing tale about a non corporeal being taking a liking to the crew of Voyager.
Monthuglu by Craig D. B. Patton *** - While I found the style in which this story was told, I found the overall story to be somewhat trying and it seemingly fails.
Because We Can
The Man Who Sold the Sky by John J. Ordover ***** - This is an interesting �short� story by Trek�s Executive Editor. I guess I�m not as completely up on my Trek as I should be because I really could not discern who his primary character was?
The Girl Who Controlled Gene Kelly�s Feet by Paula M. Block ***** - This is an extremely well written short story about a young Lieutenant and a ships psychologist who just aren�t quite satisfied with the mundane.
on November 11, 2002
This will definitely be the last "Strange New World" collection I will buy as the series has really reached its' nadir here. Once again it is full of the soap opera garbage that has plagued Star Trek for more than a decade. Star Trek was always about action, adventure, intelligent ideas and yes ... strange new worlds. This pile of rubbish, apart from the odd bright spot, has almost none of that. It actually makes me almost ashamed to call myself a "Trekker" when I read this kind of material, but then what else can you expect from a generation raised on "Beverley Hills 90210" ?!!! Of course the real villains in this travesty are the editors who prove once again they are completely out of touch with what makes good Star Trek. The grand prize winner in this collection is a seven page story, fifty percent of which is just a transcribed version of a scene from the Star Trek episode "The City on the Edge of Forever". Now the Oxford English dictionary defines "plagiarism" as "to appropriate (ideas, passages, etc.) from (another work or author)." If this is not a clear case of that then what is, and to make this the grand prize winner is an insult to everyone who submitted genuine original ideas, good or bad. Personally if I was Harlan Ellison I'd be reaching for the phone to call my lawyer about this one. As a librarian by profession I take a very dim view of this kind of thing, and as far as I am concerned this collection clearly crossed the line, which is why I certainly will not be wasting any more money on future editions.
on June 18, 2002
The fifth Strange New Worlds anthology is the best to date. Although previous volumes have given us exceptional individual stories, such as "Isolation Ward 4" in SNW4 and "Whatever You Do, Don't Read This Story" in SNW3, this volume is excellent from start to finish.
There are stories from all five of the Trek series, which is sur[prising, considering how close to the October deadline for submissions the premier of Enterprise was. Yet these stories are some of the best in the book. For TOS fans, there's a visit to City on the Edge of Forever, and an exploration of just what kind of person voluteers to be a "redshirt" even knowing their high mortality rate. TNG deals with everything from investigating a new Leonardo da Vinci to Dixon Hill -- the real one, not Picard playing Dixon Hill -- saving the Enterprise. Voyager stories deal with the homecoming from two different angles and tie up a lot of loose ends left in the Delta quadrant -- including a wonderful resolution for Kes that more than makes up for the Fury. Sadly, there is only one DS9 story, but it is one of the best in the book -- set after the end of the series. All around a truly great collection and hopefully an indicator of things to come from Strange New Worlds and the fans who love to write about them.
on May 26, 2002
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds V edited by Dean Wesley Smith is GREAT. Unlike the forth volume in this set of anthologies, this edition has great stories and will keep you glued to the pages with stories from the fan perspective. There are 23 short stories in this volume and they range from TOS, TNG, DS-9, Voyager and something new this year Enterprise.
These stories are the winning enteries for this years contest and I must say... you established authors of TREK beware... these up and comers are good, with a little time they will bring Gene Roddenberry's dream forward. Adventure, thrills, action and intrigue all are found here with many different perspectives. This volume is, so far, the best overall of the five published to date and it is a vision of what is to come for TREK.
I wish the authors luck and keep on expanding the boundaries of the universe. You are only as limited as your imagination... reading these stories proves that imagination is well and working here. This is where at least 3 current TREK writers have come from and others have sold stories to other publishers.
Read this for a refreshing outlook of TREK.
on May 21, 2002
...a year later: the weather is pretty much the same (currently 45 and less than a week to Memorial Day...blah) and I'm deep into my Star Trek jones waiting for SNW-V. And like "Star Wars: Clones", the franchise has bounced back and rediscovered itself. I'm half-way through the book and almost all the stories have captured my interest and imagination (unlike the very disappointing SNW-IV). I disagreed w/the choice for Grand Prize (a decent story from the Edith Keeler era), but Borg-ified Tribbles, Data confronting Kivas Fajo again, Jake being tested after his dad "disappeared", Seven's conflicts w/Voyager's return to Earth, and Archer's first encounter w/a Vulcan...what's not to like?
Dean Wesley's "state of the anthology" address appeared as an afterword and was much welcomed. Though the cover could use some tweaking (Daedalus but no NX-01?) and the back cover fails to mention that there are Enterprise stories contained therein, these are minor quibbles to a most satisfying summer read, well-worth the wait and stands proud w/the first three volumes.
on February 12, 2001
I'm probably not what you would call a hard core Trekkie, which is to say that I enjoy Trek, I read some of the books and I've seen the movies, but I'm not the leading expert on the intricate details of the series' and such. I guess what I'm getting at here is that I find Trek highly entertaining, just in a casual fan way.
That out of the way, I enjoyed the heck out of these fan stories. I'm more of a fan of the first two Trek series' and didn't really get into Deep Space Nine, and I've maybe seen one episode of Voyager, but I found the stories for all four series' to be highly entertaining. The Voyager stories made me actually want to watch the show. Not just entertaining are these stories, but they are creative and well written. I hope that each of these writers continues on writing, as I found each and every story presented here to be very good and interesting. One would like to see these storylines in some of the shows.
I really can't say enough good things about this book, so I'll just stop it here saying that this was a really good idea. To each and every author published in this book: Kudos! Great job all around and I hope to see your names again. And all you fans out there who're thinking about it, bring on some more! I'm definately checking out the later installments.
on August 12, 2000
hatcher's 2nd place award for this story is impressive, given the thousands of submissions the contest received. As the story chosen as second best, it is no surprise that "Of Cabbages as Kings" is an impressive, original, well-crafted story. Right from the start it is clear that this is an unusual story: it is told entirely from the perspective of the Enterprise - the ship itself, or, specifically, the ship's computer. As the ship's "thoughts" cycle rapidly, at billions of calculations a second, the ship and readers soon realize that the crew has suddenly and unexpectantly vanished. The entire story, in fact, is devoid of any characters other than the Enterprise (unless one counts a holodeck simulation of Captain Picard, which has a relatively brief but important role).
This is particularly challenging subject matter because the Enterprise is not sentient, and can merely run the routines programmed into it. This actually turns out to be quite interesting, as Thatcher addresses a legitimate question: Just what is a Starfleet ship programmed to do if it has no crew? The answers are very plausible and should appeal especially to logicians and computer programmers.
But this story becomes much more than simply a tale of a failsafe algorithm, because in order to extricate itself from its situation, the Enterprise must (as challenged by the Picard simulation) achieve some semblance of sentience. It must go beyond its orignal programming.
Certainly similar themes have been addressed before, especially with Data and Voyager's holodoc. This tale of the Enterprise, however, adds new dimensions to these concepts, while providing a detailed but very readable look deep into the "mind" of a starship, and addressing the interesting question about why Starfleet doesn't design its ships with self-awareness in the first place.
on April 15, 2002
Strange New Worlds is a series of short stories written by fans of TREK. This is the first installment of those stories. An anthology of stories about the TOS, STNG, DS-9 and ST-Voyager.
In this volume, there are 18 stort stories of fantasic adventures all submitted by by Star Trek fans, that take us through the Federation to the Strange New Worlds contained within this volume. A fascinating look into the worlds of Trek through the eyes and words of fans just like us.
I found this lead off volume to be engaging and the different writing styles to be refreshing. These stories are cleverly written and bring to the reader a prespective into a world of Trek Sci-Fi that has been missing. Now, after reading these stories you really get more appreciation into the scope and depth of Trek.
Now, fans get to write, and the readers get a treat.
on May 29, 1998
"The final copy of this collection of Trek Fan Fiction arrived a few days ago, and I urge everyone with any affection for Trek to read it. There have been several collections of Trek Fan stories over the years, and a number of the authors have gone on to write some very credible works afterwards. This is the best of Trek, stories written by people with a real affection, often for minor characters, and some pretty clever ideas. Two of my favorites examine just "What Went On In Data's Mind 0.68 Before The Satellite Hit" and what happens after Cyrano Jones collects "The Last Tribble" off Station K-7. Pocket Books Trek editor John Ordover couldn't help but add his own two cents, but "The Man Who sold the Sky" is as enjoyable as anything in the book and I forgive him. " -- Ernest Lilley, SF CENTRAL