5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best.
A few years ago my friend started describing "the best romance novel she'd ever read" to me. About the time she got to the girl bathing in a fountain, I tuned out. However, a few weeks after that I was at a used bookstore and lo and behold, it was sitting there right at eye-level, beckoning me. I reluctantly bought it and stayed up the entire night finishing it. I love...
Published on June 8 2004 by char1077

3.0 out of 5 stars Bogged down in a medieval bog
Granted that the research for life in 16th century England is meticulous and that the personalites of Dougless and Nicholas are quite charming.The rest of the story keeps grinding away at the same material.
In the second part of the book, Dougless rehashes the same information about the 20th century as when she first meets Nicholas in her own time.
There is also...
Published on March 12 2003 by shirley lieb

‹ Previous | 1 2 334 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Happily ever before?, Jan. 24 2003
Lealing (London, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this book 2 evenings ago in an English bookstore in Paris (whilst looking for Johanna Lindsey books)and finished it last night, in between having to go to work and a few hours sleep. This is my first Jude Devereux book and I really enjoyed it. I have been on the look out for time travel/regression romance novels ever since reading Barbara Erskine's Lady of Hay as a teenagaer. I enjoyed Knight in Shining Armour but it's not the best I have read in this genre. Both lead characters are likeable. Nicholas is absolutely gorgeous but Dougless is weak (or stupid?) Do real women actually let men walk all over them like Dougless allows her past lovers to? The author's references to Elizabethan details are interesting to discover and Nicholas' discovery of the modern world is amusing. The friendship and relationship which evolves between the 2 lead characters keeps you involved in the book and you can truly believe that there is a great love between them. My only complaint is that there could have been a stronger love, a love throughout an eternity but this is not achieved because Dougless remains the same person in physical body, mind and sole whilst Nicholas changes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Happily ever before?, Jan. 24 2003
Lealing (London, England) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Typical Deveraux, Jan. 19 2003
By A Customer
I had really high expectations for this book after reading all of the great reviews it earned on this website, but once I finally got to read it, I was disappointed. It's exactly like all of Deveraux's other books, basically - girl meets guy from past, they spend a short amount of time together in which they fall in love, and right when they realize this love, they are separated. The girl spends awhile grieving, then it ends with her miraculously meeting the reincarnation of her love from the past. I had read several of Deveraux's other books before I read this one (all of them pretty much following the same formula), and I was really hoping it would be different. While the hero of the book was kind of endearing, I found Dougless to be downright annoying. However, putting all of this aside, it was an enjoyable light read, which is why I gave it three stars instead of one or two. So read it if you have nothing better to do, but if you want something really excellant, read Diana Gabaldon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Once Upon a time..., Jan. 7 2003
Danielle P. Carter "dannygirl1" (San Diego, Ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Knight in Shining Armor (Hardcover)
Are you in to historical romances? What about modern romances? Well you are in store because you get both in this very touching, very lovable novel. Set in 1988, a young, wealthy woman is left stranded by a spiteful lover. But when she sheds a tear, transported to her is a handsome hero. She believes him to be an amnesiac, he knows he is there, not to help her, but to help himself restore honor to his family name. Together they embark on a journey to right the wrongs of history mistold. To find the answer to a question that means life or death, they tour castles of Englands which he is sure holds the answers to his questions.
As soon as he had come to her he disappeared to leave the heroine in despair, until she discovers that what they thought would be the answers to his life, were not. Mysteriously, she finds herself in the 16th century to once again help to preserve the name and honor of his family. She is met with skepicism and doubt, but also with humor and fascination. Together, with perseverance and determination, the ultimate goal is achieved. With a beautiful leading lady and a gorgeous male, this story brings tears of joy and sorrow and of hope. One of the best romance novels I've read. It makes you believe in love time and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute joy to read!!!!, Jan. 4 2003
B. Crooks "adnerb1c" (Maryland, United States) - See all my reviews
I don't remember the first time I read this book, but I do know that I've read it 6 times since. It just gets better every time. I know it sounds cliche, but it made me laugh, it made me cry, and I will definitely read it again!! It's pretty much every woman's fantasy(well, maybe not spending a month in the 16th century!!), with the light-hearted right alongside the sad.
This is very easily one of my favorite books of all time. Second perhaps only to Julie Garwood's "The Bride". But I digress. I can't really pinpoint the exact thing that makes this book so wonderful, but I can tell you that by the last page, you'll be crying and laughing at the same time you're cheering for Dougless. Truly a great read, and one that I have trouble putting down no matter how many times I've read it.
If you don't buy another book this year, please, PLEASE treat yourself and buy this one!!!!!! A fabulous story, great characters, a beautiful plot, the works!!! Buy it, or you'll have missed a true gem of a book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic of Devereaux's has new life again, Oct. 10 2002
Courtesy of The Best Reviews
1988
Dougless Montgomery is on vacation in England with her boyfriend, to whom she hopes to be engaged soon. What was supposed to be a romantic getaway for two turns into the trip from hell when Robert brings his obnoxious, scheming daughter, Gloria, with them, and them abandons Dougless in a Church in Ashburton, without even her purse! This being the worst in a string of bad luck lasting her whole life, Dougless breaks down, sobbing her heart out on the tomb of an English Earl from the 16th century who was to have been executed for treason.
Nicholas Stafford, Earl of Thornwyck, is sitting in his prison cell, writing a letter to his mother, three days before he is to be executed for treason. Suddenly, he hears a woman sobbing as though her life is over. Try as he might to ignore it, this woman's cries overwhelm him to the point he can think of nothing else. The next thing he knows, he is standing in a Church, in front of his own tomb and face to face with Dougless.
Nicholas has come forward over 400 years in time, to solve a mystery. He had been wrongly accused of treason and needs to find out who his betrayer was. Dougless is in disbelief, thinking Nicholas is crazy when he tells her his tale. She was never one to turn her back on one in need though, so as she helps him find his way around, she comes to believe in the impossible, and finds herself falling in love with her own personal knight in shining armor.
However, as Nicholas and Dougless fall deeper in love, fate beckons once again. Nicholas is taken back to his time to face his execution, nonetheless. Dougless can't give up hope though, in spite of their seeming failure to save him from death. Now the impossible happens once again, sending Dougless back in time herself, to try and prevent the chain of events leading to the execution from occurring. Shock of shocks though, Nicholas does not remember her and in fact, he despises her! Can Dougless convince Nicholas her story is true, in time to prevent his death?
It is easy to see why Knight in Shining Armor remains a fan favorite of Ms. Devereaux's books. She takes a classic romance theme and alters it entirely, making it entirely her own. The plot flows seamlessly, capturing and carrying the reader along. She also weaves a lot of interesting trivia bits in, without detracting from the story, and gives a clearer picture of life in Elizabethan England.
The characters grow dramatically throughout as well. Dougless starts out as a weakling who will do anything to make someone happy, but by the end of the story, she has come into her own. She overcomes her feelings of inferiority to become a woman full of quiet strength and confidence. Nicholas starts off as a scoundrel, a womanizer, and a philanderer. As the story moves along, he is seen for the noble man he is... one who puts honor and family above all else, even himself and his dreams.
Whether enjoying this book for the first or the dozenth time, it is enchanting, guaranteed not to disappoint. It is a thoroughly engrossing read and one definitely not to be missed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Whew...Send me a Knight in Shining Armor like this...., Oct. 10 2002
Everyone was on me to read this book saying how touching and romantic is was and I have to say, they were right. Ms. Deveraux has a knack for getting to the heart of pure romance and in this book, she goes beyond expectation.
The characters were real and the time-travel was very realistic. Proving dreams and wishes can come true, only if you believe...
1988 England, Dougless Montgomery(distantly related to her Velvet book characters) is alone and weeping on a cold tombstone in an English church. Abandoned and left to fend for herself she cries her heart out and wishes for a knight in shining armor to come and save her. Suddenly like a ghost, a man appears before her looking very...confused? Why does this gorgeous man look confused and why is he wearing clothes obviously from a costume shop?
Nicholas Stafford, Earl of Thornwyck is confused...where is he? Last he knew he was praying in a church in 1564 and now he is standing in the same church, but everything seems different and he is looking at his own tombstone! He sees the woman, obviously she has called him from the past to do some evil deed for her, for she must be a witch.
Vowing to help this man since she somehow was responsible for his appearance, Dougless promises to make things right again. Her life is messed up beyond repair anyway, she is stuck in England for a month on 'vacation' abandoned by her boyfriend, so she is depressed and alone. Why not help this guy out?
Dougless soons finds out it isn't that easy. Nicholas needs to right a wrong in order to return to the past...
Nicholas shows Dougless that love is all-consuming and that she is special and deserves to be cherished. But time is running out for them...he must return. Can they live without each other?
Nicholas was a true Knight in Shining Armor.
I liked the first half of the book the best, lots of extremely touching and romantic and heart-tugging scenes. I sighed and cried and smiled many times. Definately a keeper.
Tracy Talley~@

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicholas is cool, April 14 2002
Marissa (Salt Lake City, Utah United States) - See all my reviews
This book was absolutely amazing. After reading so many 5-star reviews, I wasn't sure it would live up to my expectations. And of course it didn't...it EXCEEDED them! I was engrossed after the first few paragraphs (and it always takes me forever to "get into" a book completely). I fell in love with both Nicholas and Dougless for their absolute, complete, precious love for each other. I felt like my heart was going to break both times she loses him.
Even though I give this book 5 stars, there is ONE thing that bothers me. I was hoping so much that she wouldn't end up with some guy that looks and acts like Nicholas, but ISN'T actually Nicholas. And of course she did. That happened with Remembrance too, and it's just such a downer. After everything Dougless and Nicholas had been through together, they don't even end up together, but their "souls" find each other! Argh! It's like someone telling you you can't have your husband anymore, but you can have another man with your husband's "soul." Not good enough.
But yeah, other than that I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is my favorite Jude Deveraux book of all times!, Jan. 17 2002
This review is from: A Knight in Shining Armor (Hardcover)
I have read this book years ago when I was going through a romance book period ~~ and this book has never left my bookshelf. I have found that every time I give this book away, I end up buying a new copy because I want to read it again. And I have noticed that this book has 155 reviews ~~ this book can't go wrong!
Douglass Montgomery is abandoned by her boyfriend and his spoiled brat of a daughter ~~ and is rescued by a knight from the middle ages, Nicholas Stafford, Earl of Thornwyck. And their story spans over hundreds of years ~~ when Nicholas returns to his own time, Douglass followed in turn. And together they right the wrong that has been done to Nicholas' family.
It's such a wonderfully romantic story ~~ a fable to be sure ~~ but so wonderfully written and not so sappy like a lot of romance novels are! You find yourself reading the first paragraph and you can't put the book down till you find out what happens. Deveraux has a talent matched by very few in her field. It's a book to be cherished over time.
1-17-02

4.0 out of 5 stars BUYER BEWARE: THIS IS A REVISED EDITION!, Jan. 15 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: A Knight in Shining Armor (Hardcover)
I bought the original A Knight in Shining Armor (AKISA) some years ago and absolutely loved it. It still remains as one of my very favorite books. I've always wanted a hardcover but it was hard to find. And then this new edition came along.
I bought it in a heart beat. The price was good, too. I knew that it was a revised edition with more dialogue and description to reflect author's developed expertise as a writer and for a "smoother read" for the readers. By the way, readers, nothing changes in terms of plot or characters. There's no new information or ending.
I don't know how others feel, but I'll say my own honest view. Although I'm glad I've bought this edition, I don't think it's a better version of AKISA.
Jude Deveraux is my favorite author. I love her work and will buy and read everything she writes. But, to me, her "effort" to make what was already so great has kinda backfired. Some of the great original lines are gone. For example, in the original AKISA, Nicholas says, "Such disobedient children," referring to Romeo and Juliet. I loved it; but, now that line's gone. Nicholas now says, "They were nice parents," referring to the parents of Romeo and Juliet. Huh? Either the author is trying to be overly politically correct or she's just gotten too mellow.
The heroine, Dougless, is much more sarcastic in this new version. She doesn't come across as a soft and vulnerable woman any more. She seems hard, old and jaded. Maybe it's just me. By the way, Jude's heroines seem to get more and more hard, old and jaded . . . I personally like soft, feminine (and even vulnerable) heroines. Why do heroines have to be so "stubborn" and "head-strong" in so many romance novels? Seems like most authors go for that type . . . for no good reason I can think of.
Some of the new phrases inserted in the new edition apparently for humor were not funny at all to me. If anything, they seemed cheesy and Hollywood and seemed to pull down the beauty of the book.
In conclusion, it's still a great read. It's a beautiful hardcover [...]. But, in my opinion, the original AKISA is a better version.

‹ Previous | 1 2 334 | Next ›

A Knight in Shining Armor
A Knight in Shining Armor by Jude Deveraux (Hardcover - Jan. 2 2002)
Used & New from: CDN$ 1.36