countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on March 14, 2002
This book is so authentic in tone and detail that I actually thought what I was reading was the truth. I actually thought that Mr. Anderson had based this story on some new historical research that not only showed that an adventurer named Andre Nemo existed, but that he grew up with Jules Verne. Without reservation I continued to believe that this was the case- right up to when the dinosaur came out of the cave....
Upon reflection, this just shows how convincing a yarn Anderson can weave. I had read most of Vern's books and I was familiar with the details of his real life. Anderson inserts his Nemo into the real Vern's life in such a way that it is completely believable. I'd still believe it, if he had used Komodo dragons instead of a T-rex.
This is the best old-fashioned adventure yarn that I've read in years. It not only reminds me of Vern's stories, but also of Conan Doyle and Edgar Rice Burroughs.
on December 27, 2001
Whether you read the novels of Jules Verne or watched the spate of Jules Verne inspired movies of the 1950's and 1960's (as I did) while growing up -- CAPTAIN NEMO is a must read! In this book Kevin J. Anderson weaves an intricate tapestry intertwining the real life story of Jules Verne with a fictional tale in which Andre Nemo (of MYSTERIOUS ISLAND and 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA fame) stars in all the "Extraordinary Voyages" that Verne later turned to literary gold. If I had a complaint about the book, it would only be that sometimes Jules Verne comes across as a pretty dull fellow next to his friend Nemo! Still, it is wonderful to once again have a book take those of us who must stay home on an extraordinary voyage across an Earth still rich with adventure!
CAPTAIN NEMO is highly recommended by this reader.
on March 27, 2003
If you are a Verne's fan then you have to read this book. I really don't like to analyze the style of the author or if the events make sense or not because this is the type of book that you just live the adventure. If you can visualize a story while you are reading (I love to do this with all of Verne's stories) then you have to read this book.
on January 19, 2002
This is an amazing book full of adventure, historical details, crossing the real life of Jules Verne with the man who inspired all of the incredible adventures -- pirate attacks, mysterious islands, balloon journeys, explorations of the center of the Earth. Why can't there be more novels like this?
on April 14, 2002
I liked this book a lot. It was a little slow moving in parts, but that was okay, because it made up for it with a lot of adventure. I defy anyone to find a book that packs more adventure into 350 pages.
on March 29, 2002
What a fun book! Enjoyed it thoroughly, and admire the author's meticulous research. His love for Verne and his characters is evident. Anderson pulls off perhaps the advenure novel of the year.
on July 31, 2014
A well crafted Jules Verne-style story. Anderson has reached deep into the legendary stories and created a unique take on the Verne classics. Highly recommend this book.