5.0 out of 5 stars Bones series
an excelent listen, I buy audio books to listen to while i travel and the bones series has me sitting on the edge of my seat and anxious to get the next one
Published 16 months ago by CJ

3.0 out of 5 stars A convoluted tale
Published on April 7 2012 by Jan

5.0 out of 5 stars Bones series, Nov. 26 2012
This review is from: Cross Bones: A Novel (Audio CD)

3.0 out of 5 stars A convoluted tale, April 7 2012
This review is from: Cross Bones (Mass Market Paperback)
The storyline had glimpses of intrigue, but it was so jammed with excess characters and unecessary detail that it became tedious. It was also very repetitive, as though the author knew she was constantly losing her audience and had to keep reminding them of the plot. I kept going hoping for an exciting and satisfying ending, but it was not to be. In fact, the main story got sidelined and it all ended with a pitiful wimper. To me the best part was the sweet and sassy relationship between the two main characters.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much details, June 26 2007
Toni Osborne "The Way I See It" (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Cross Bones (Mass Market Paperback)
This author was recommended to me but I should have asked which book to buy this one definitely wasn't to my liking. Reading this novel you get an insight into forensic anthropology and biblical history. The story is slow, complex and I found it boring and over taxed with details.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kathy Reichs' Da Vinci Code, Jan. 5 2012
Lady Sam (100 Mile House / BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Cross Bones (Mass Market Paperback)
Cross Bones - well, this story covers what it appears to be ... let's call it a crossover between Suspense and the DaVinci Code. Yes, excavations in Israel, religious beliefs and Jesus' story and family life come under scrutiny as well as the desperate attempt by certain fractions to not let it get out of hand - speak, not losing the long lasting control over others and/or exploiting the same for various reasons. And while I do side with those believing that old graves should not be plundered, put under the microscope and then exhibited in museums but instead left in peace - be they Egyptian mummies, Neanderthal bones or bones seemingly of important people - I do disagree with violent methods and bullying tactics to get their way.
It all starts fairly innocently with the apparent suicide of a local business man ... being locked up in a closet with his pet cats ... hence the need for an anthropologist. The autopsy is being fought, unsuccessfully, however, beliefs are being respected to a degree possible, so the morgue becomes rather crowded. And then a photograph comes to light that complicates everything, eventually leading both Dr Brennan and Andrew Ryan to Israel.
As always, Kathy Reichs is very detailed in her descriptions - not only covering a different forensic or anthropological issue with every new novel but the author also makes sure that the reader always receives detailed information of the surroundings Tempe is in as well as what people look like as well as their characteristics and behaviour. Be that through detailed descriptions or even a map of the area visited - although there are times when I would happily see even further details. Overall, the reader is never left in the dark - even with details provided in other storylines - Kathy Reichs always seems to find a way to interweave necessary reminders and information to be enough for first-time readers without boring those having enjoyed previous adventures. Well Done, Kathy!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read....., Nov. 21 2005
B. Braun (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cross Bones (Hardcover)
If you like the suspense/thriller genre, you should like this book and the preceeding ones. "Cross Bones" was my first Reichs novel and am happy to report that it is a good read.
Detailed, with a flair for throwing in a lot of scientific/historical information.
I read this book first, and then went back and read her earlier novels. This book hooked me on the entire series, and I read them all within a couple of weeks.
The only complaint I do have is in detail Reich includes in areas that are not necessary. She goes a little overboard in describing locations, local history, and scenery, when its not needed. Its a bit tiresome due to the volume of detail needed to address the forensics in this, and each prior novel, but nonetheless, its a great read.
You won't be disappointed in this and the prior novels if you enjoy writers such as Dan Brown, Nelson DeMille, or Elizabeth Kostova for that matter.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, Sept. 5 2008
Draco Malfoy (Vancouver, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cross Bones (Mass Market Paperback)
Somebody recommended me this author and was disappointed with this book. It took me quite an effort to try to finish it. The author used too much incredibly detailed technical terms most of the time (which is not a bad thing but too much is too much). It just failed to grasp my interest at all and I'm a big mystery fan. Not recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Kathy Reichs Fan is Disappointed Big Time, Oct. 17 2007
Nicola Manning-Mansfield (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: Cross Bones (Hardcover)
This is most certainly the weakest of Kathy Reichs' books I've read. I really didn't care for this one much. The plot revolves around an ancient Biblical mystery and was very reminiscent of The Da Vinci Code. The murder that takes place at the beginning of the book was almost an afterthought. The first 200 pages dwelt on Biblical history and the religious political intrigue of some ancient bones of which fanatical Christians, fanatical Jews or fanatical Muslims all had their own reasons to either hide or make known the truth. Around page 200, we were returned to the original murder and the case picked up and became more of what I expected from a Kathy Reichs book but I must say the forensic aspect was kept to a bare minimal. I usually enjoy the tense suspense of Temperance Brennan novels but this one was seriously lacking in that department.

ARRAY(0xb657396c)

Cross Bones
Cross Bones by Kathy Reichs (Mass Market Paperback - June 1 2006)
CDN$ 12.99 CDN$ 11.69