4.0 out of 5 stars What Lengths Should a Family Go to Save a Life?
Published on Nov. 12 2008 by Teddy

2.0 out of 5 stars Does not Live Up to Its Interesting Premise
Published on June 2 2004

4.0 out of 5 stars What Lengths Should a Family Go to Save a Life?, Nov. 12 2008
Teddy (Richmond, BC) - See all my reviews
Anna was conceived as a bone marrow donor for her sister Kate. Originally it was just going to be taken from the placenta but when that didn't hold, Anna ended up being a long-term donor for Kate. By the age of 13, Anna had undergone several surgeries and transfusions. Now she is expected to donate a kidney to her sister. Now she will draw a line in the sand. She will fight this.

What length should parents and siblings' go to save a family member's life? What is ethical, moral, and legal? What is right for the person who has the disease? Picoult does not give us the answers but leads us through the journey of what one family, lawyers, and the courts go through. In the end, we must decide.

I like how the narrative of the story switches from character to character so that we can get inside what each person is thinking and feeling. Picoult also throws in a few twists and turns to keep the story and plot going.

Several people have recommended this book to me. I must admit I hesitated, blowing it off as "chick lit". Boy was I wrong. This story is not superficial fluff; it deals with deep ethical issues and is well written.

This is the first Jodi Picoult book I have read, but it is certainly not the last. I highly recommend My Sister's Keeper!

2.0 out of 5 stars Does not Live Up to Its Interesting Premise, June 2 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: My Sister's Keeper: A Novel (Hardcover)
"My Sister's Keeper" is the first novel I have read by Jodi Picoult, and it could very well be the last. The premise of the novel is so interesting: a younger sibling is genetically "designed" so that she will be an acceptable donor to her older sister, who is very ill. As the girls age, there are medical, legal and emotional choices and consequences for the whole family. The story is told from the perspective of each character in the story, which is also an interesting and insightful way to deal with the subject matter.
However, in spite of its promise in both subject matter and form, the novel does not deliver a pleasurable read or a satisfactory ending. At several points while I was reading, I thought: "Is this a soap, or this literature?" I felt like the book, which has lofty quotations which run the gamut from D.H. Lawrence to Shakespeare, has too many aspirations. The author does not let it be enough of a straight-up tug at your heartstrings family drama, and tries to endow it with more seriousness than the writing is really capable of pulling off. And the ending was just not appropriate: the reader is anticipating an ending that deals with the ethical consequences of the character's actions, and the author robs the reader of that experience. I couldn't recommend the novel on that basis alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A tear-jerker, June 19 2012
I have to object to the comments criticing the abruptness of the ending. I thought it was perfect. I don't believe readers needed all the nitty gritty details of the events that happened. You can imagine it for yourself. I had tears streaming down my face as I started to read the final chapter. If you've ever lost someone you loved abruptly, you will too.

Jodi Piccoult is one of my favourite authors. Her style of writing is an easy read and you quickly get caught up in the story line making it difficult to put any of her novels down.

I've you've seen the movie, know that the novel has very little in common with it. The movie bastardized the ending. The novel is a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, Jan. 10 2014
This was a great book, it was an easy read, couldn't put it down. Can't wait to see the movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book by Jodi Picoult- My Sister's Keeper, Sept. 1 2013
This review is from: My Sister's Keeper (Audio CD)
Very good book. Would be one to read again in a few years. They should have made the movie as the book went.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay...., July 9 2013
This story has a very interesting premise; a 'designer' baby created to save an older child's life. I think the most interesting thing are the various chapters with the voices of the different characters...A lot of the 'wit' and wise-cracking comments go between a lot of the characters, so I am not sure each voice was carried off well, still an interesting idea.
It was hard to put down but it was somewhat 'soap-operaish'....the ending was not very satisfying, and the mother's character not reflective at all of her relationship with her husband and youngest daughter...Perhaps it was meant to show how wrapped up a mother can get in caring for one sick child. I gave it 3 stars because of the attempt at the various voices, and it did pull at my heart strings. Still, it would have been nice to see the mother more reflective of what a sick child does to a relationship between husband and wife, and her other children.

5.0 out of 5 stars tear jerker, June 21 2013
B. Arthurs-jones (Canada) - See all my reviews
At first I didn't want to read this. I am so happy I did. It has a great twist and will make you cry.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, Feb. 14 2013
What a story, I had a very hard time putting this one down !!!
I'm so glad that I didn't see the movie, that would have wrecked everything about this story.

3.0 out of 5 stars audio book of my sisters keeper, Dec 11 2012
This review is from: My Sister's Keeper (Audio CD)
I enjoyed the audio book, but I thought the readers could be more animated. They seemed to just read the book. instead of acting the parts. but I really enjoyed the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars An important book, Aug. 15 2006
This is a novel pulled right from today's headlines, one filled with ethical conundrums and ambiguities. Medical advances that put us in the position of playing God (but without the infinite wisdom) have no easy right/wrong answers, as Picoult makes abundantly clear in her captivating book. Picoult's characters are as real as your friends and neighbors, good people at heart caught up in troubling issues that are only going to grow more vexing as medical advances continue to outstrip our courts and our ability to come to terms with all the moral implications. Unsettling yet fascinating, My Sister's Keeper is a must-read. It would have received five stars if it weren't for the ending, which could have been much more definitive and less of a convenient, simple way out of a problematic situation. Still, My Sister's Keeper wins a solid recommendation. There's another thoughtful good book, An Audience for Einstein, that explores the ethics of advanced medical science in a somewhat gentler way.

ARRAY(0x102369c0)

My Sister's Keeper: A Novel
My Sister's Keeper: A Novel by Jodi Picoult (Hardcover - April 6 2004)
CDN$ 34.99