5.0 out of 5 stars Less gunfire, more terrifying anyway
The first two Charlier Parker novels, by Irish journalist John Connolly, were violent and very disturbing, pocked with gunfire and dead bodies, and visions of horrors from the afterlife. Parker himself is a strange, tortured soul, who can see those who have been killed violently, so that he can't ignore them and return to his quiet life. This third Parker book is even...
Published on Feb. 19 2004 by David W. Nicholas

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very plausible
Published on March 27 2004 by William M Miller

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent, Captivating Read, Nov. 3 2004
Natalie P. (Mississauga, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Killing Kind: A Thriller (Mass Market Paperback)
I was walking though the bookstore where I work and came across this book, and I am happy that I did. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and look forward to reading the other books this author has written. I love Connolly's main character Private Detective Charlie Parker and his shady and colorful associates, Angel and Louis. It has taken me all of 2 days to read this book and I look forward to reading the 2 previous to this novel and the 2 after it. Excellent Writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best yet..., Nov. 16 2003
"browntowel" (Decatur, IN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Killing Kind: A Thriller (Mass Market Paperback)
John Connolly deserves to be a household name...at least in the houses that enjoy crime novels. He has to be one of the most overlooked novelists in the genre. The Killing Kind was my favorite of the series so far. His use of words is superb. The visual images he paints are unbelievable. Great novelist....great novel. I recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thriller of a religious group's connections, Feb. 11 2003
This review is from: The Killing Kind (Hardcover)
The body of Grace, a Ph.D. candidate, is discovered on a Maine back road and nobody believes it was suicide - but when a mass grave is found nearby, the single murderer idea becomes an investigation into a wider mystery in this thriller of a religious group's connections to vengeance and death.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, March 12 2003
Jamie (Richmond, Va.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Killing Kind: A Thriller (Mass Market Paperback)
Unlike many of the reviewers on this site, I won't bore you with a summary of the events of the book; that's what the back of the book is for. Suffice it to say that this is a well-written, very visual, novel. Enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Killing Kind, Jan. 27 2013
Linda J. Leclair "Good Book Reader" (Sault Ste. Marie, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Killing Kind (Hardcover)
This is another Charlie Parker. It is one of the first and is very violent and there is a lot of torture in it. I was fascinated and abhored with some of the contents. I was very happy with the ending I will say. John Connolly is a very realistic writer. Again, I wouldn't recommend this for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Couldn't Put It Down, July 11 2003
Valerie Johnson (Kirksville Missouri) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Killing Kind (Hardcover)
I loved this book! I couldn't put it down -- it's recommended read, just have plenty of time to finish it because you won't be able to stop!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very plausible, March 27 2004
William M Miller (Bronxville, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Killing Kind: A Thriller (Mass Market Paperback)
I'm not sure why this book was nominated for the Bram Stoker award. It's not scary or very horrific at all (with the exception of two or three scenes). The book is solidly written, but the story moves along like a TV movie-of-the-week, from one clue to another -- none of which is very believable. The coincidences and connections seem to easy and unrealistic, as if Mr. Connolly is struggling to connect the pieces of the story together. The story does moves rather quickly, but seems to be bogged down by various sub-plots that take our chararacter off in different directions. It's funny that one of Charlie Parker's first leads was the witness Marcy Becker, but conveniently Charlie doesn't get around to looking for her until the end. The book would have been 100 pages long if he had. I also had a problem with the amount of cliches during many of the action /danger scenes. With the exception of the very enjoyable opening involving Alison Beck, I've seen everything in this book before. A much better thriller writer is author Kevin O'Brien. With books like "Make Them Cry" and "Watch Them Die", he leaves John Connolly in the dust.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Killing Kind: A Thriller
The Killing Kind: A Thriller by John Connolly (Mass Market Paperback - March 1 2003)
CDN$ 11.99 CDN$ 10.79