5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best.
Published on June 8 2004 by char1077

3.0 out of 5 stars Bogged down in a medieval bog
Granted that the research for life in 16th century England is meticulous and that the personalites of Dougless and Nicholas are quite charming.The rest of the story keeps grinding away at the same material.
In the second part of the book, Dougless rehashes the same information about the 20th century as when she first meets Nicholas in her own time.
There is also...
Published on March 12 2003 by shirley lieb

4.0 out of 5 stars A Page Turner., July 8 2004
MaryGrace Meloche (Ontario, Canada.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Knight in Shining Armor (Mass Market Paperback)
The beginning of this story is terrific. Of course, every woman's fantasy is to have a knight in shining armor, so the story's idea is beautiful. The setup read is quick, heavenly, humorous, and fun! Then the author makes a fumble.
Dougless Montgomery is a modern day woman, but a weak individual. She allows people to walk all over her. She is trying to hold onto a wretched man - a wretched man with a wretched daughter. In a rare moment of strength Dougless disagrees with the obnoxious daughter. The result - Dougless is left behind -- stranded in the English countryside. Heartbroken Dougless breaks down in tears and cries out for a knight in shining armor - presto, Nicholas Stafford, a knight from the sixteenth century appears.
Now Deveraux has great fun with her reader. We explore the twentieth century with Nicholas. Dougless may be a reluctant guide but she is hooked -- hooked on this adorable, handsome man. Of course, Nicholas and Dougless fall deeply in love - a love that has dire consequences. These consequences force our lovers back to the sixteenth century.
Now the reader explores Tudor England with the twosome; however, this exploration is not nearly as amusing. Nicholas Stafford does not remember their initial attraction and the couple is forced to begin anew. The results? The reading becomes long. Nicholas' denial grows tiresome. When our duo again finds love, Deveraux also takes control. The author now writes some of most romantic words I have ever read -- sigh! Yet this is not a happily-ever-after story. Dougless and Nicholas do not remain together. Deveraux chooses another romance path? Nicholas dies in the sixteenth century and Dougless returns to her time. Still Deveraux does manage to convince her reader -- every woman needs a knight in shining armor!
This review is based on the rewrite of the original book published in 1989.
Rewrite Publish date: December 2002.
Grace Atkinson, Ontario - Canada.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best., June 8 2004
char1077 (Petoskey, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Knight in Shining Armor (Mass Market Paperback)
A few years ago my friend started describing "the best romance novel she'd ever read" to me. About the time she got to the girl bathing in a fountain, I tuned out. However, a few weeks after that I was at a used bookstore and lo and behold, it was sitting there right at eye-level, beckoning me. I reluctantly bought it and stayed up the entire night finishing it. I love this book and now own the original paperback as well as the revised hardback. I re-read it at least once a year and it never turns sappy on me, like most in the romance genre do. The characters are lovable and have a certain depth about them. The fact that the ending isn't predictable is a big selling point and anyone thinking of delving into a little romance this summer (or winter, depending on where you are) this is a wonderful starting point. It got me hooked and I display it proudly on my bookshelf. Be warned that there are some rather intense sex scenes so if that makes you uncomfortable, you might want to avoid this for something a bit milder. This isn't a trashy book and there is an actual STORY. I love this book and you will too.

4.0 out of 5 stars GReat read..... hate the ending......lolxx........., March 15 2004
This review is from: A Knight in Shining Armor (Mass Market Paperback)
u have to say that this is a very fantastic book... it all began when nic came to the 21st century when he heard doug's calling.... they fall in love and he went back but to see him once again doug went to the 16th century.... after that she came back and was sad and met a man liek nic....... i suppose i must be those who liek happy....well really really happy ending and her meeting another guy instead with no further development just seem to incomplete to me.... but overall this is a great book... definately one to keep and spend the afternoon with

5.0 out of 5 stars Romantic, Sexy, Humurous, Suspenseful, DELIGHTFUL!!!!!!!!, Sept. 2 2003
This review is from: A Knight in Shining Armor (Mass Market Paperback)
I just finished reading this book and have read many romance novels but this has to be one of the best I've ever read!! Jude Deveraux did an excellent job in making this a believable and highly romantic story. I didn't think I'd like the time travel aspect but I loved it. Douglass (the female charachter) was very likeable, quirky, and not always perfection (which I liked about her) while Nicholas, the Knight in Shining Armor,was very sexy, charming, real and had the charachteristics of a normal man, not just the hero. I also highly enjoyed the other charachters. I loved despising Gloria and Robert. I loved Honoria and even Lady Margaret. I loved them all and watching them come to life and to see the irony between the charachters in the 16th century to those in the 20th.
I found the book to be adventurous and suspenseful as well. I had a hard time putting the book down, that's when I know I'm hooked! I liked the ending I just wish it were a little more involved with the "passenger", maybe if we could have seen a little more twist of fate. Other than that I loved, loved, loved this book and highly recommend it to anyone who wants a great summer read, or an anytime read.

4.0 out of 5 stars The end made it worth it, June 28 2003
This review is from: A Knight in Shining Armor (Mass Market Paperback)
I saw the great reviews on the site for this book and got it! I hated the first half. In fact, I actually stopped reading it several times. I absolutely HATED the boyfriend she went to England with and it just made me not like Dougless from the begining. I am a very strong woman and don't have much tollerance for women who let men walk all over them!! I couldn't get over the whole, extensive scenes where they try to convince each other that they really are from another time. I get that that would be my reaction if someone came foreward in time, but I didn't want to read about it over and over and over! I forced myself to continue and I am not sorry I did.
The historical part of this book was WONDERFUL! I liked how the author went into the daily lives of 16th century commoners and aristocrats...I can tell she did research and that as all well done. I knew the ending was coming and I was prepared to be unconvinced, but it was GREAT...how she brought everything together almost made me cry!!! I couldn't give the book 5 stars since I had to make myself keep reading it twice, but i really liked it in the end and I will definitely re-read the second half of the book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The one that got me hooked, April 29 2003
Emily Makuch (Equeurdreville France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Knight in Shining Armor (Mass Market Paperback)
I was looking for a new romance book to read when my hand fell on this book. After reading the back cover, I thought to myself this one should be interesting. I'd never read a time travel book before. This book passes interesting and goes to amazing.
It begins in modern times with the female lead traveling to England with her boyfriend and his spoiled daughter. After being abandoned by those two, she has hit rock bottom. She cries for help at the foot of a statue. I thought the first few pages were difficult to get through. Then, the hero, Nicholas, appears and I was glued. He was pompous, arragant, and gorgeous. He also needed help. There's the catch...Douglass ends up helping him. While she's helping him in the 20th century, he's teaching her that she's stronger than she thinks. The way Ms. Deveraux writes makes the story easy to follow. I could literally "SEE" the characters, the places and the clothing. I really understood the female lead, Douglass Montgomery. I felt her dissapointments and cheered at her successes. I also cried when she felt the utter dispair at not being with her love or feeling depressed at who she is. I've never cried while reading a book, but this one is very believable. Then Douglass travels back to Nicholas' time. This was my favorite part of the whole story. We also get to see what life was like in Elizabethean times from the class distinctions to how families deal with one another. Douglass must warn Nicholas of dangers that will happen to him and his brother before she's returned to her time. They get to fall in love all over again.
By the end of the story, Douglass grows and becomes the woman she's always dreamed of being. It ended on a positive note which left me wanting more. When my eyes finally gave out and I had to rest them, I looked at the clock...it was almost dawn. This book got me hooked into Ms. Deveraux's other romances and I'm proud to be a fan. Every book of hers that comes out, I immediately buy and devour and have NEVER been dissapoointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars My all-time favorite book!!!!!!, April 25 2003
This review is from: A Knight in Shining Armor (Mass Market Paperback)
I am in love with the concept of your "knight in shining armor" coming to save you. When i saw this book at Borders, i thought, This is going to be GREAT. It took me a while to get into it. Since the book was around 450 pages, I knew the first hundred weren't going to be that good. I was right. It took me so long to get into the book. My best friend kept telling me that historical romances are the best. I had never read a historical romance and so far, it wasn't good. But boy, once you get past the first 100 pages, you cannot take your eyes off that book. It was absolutely wonderful. It was all i could ask from a book. It was the first book i couldn't put down other than "A Walk to Remember" by Nicholas Sparks. I'm not a fast reader. I finished the book in a little less than a week. Believe me, that is good for me. When i was getting closer to the end, i knew what was going to happen. She'd stay in the past with him. I JUST KNEW IT. But it took me for a total surprise when she didn't. I wasn't that impressed with the end. But she made it all come together and that was still good. I mean GREAT. It would have been wonderful for her to stay with Nicholas, but the end was still good. =) I absolutely give this 5 stars. It was a great read and so far my favorite book. This was the book that started my passion for reading. I very highly reccomend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bogged down in a medieval bog, March 12 2003
shirley lieb (Chicago, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Knight in Shining Armor (Mass Market Paperback)
There is also a small decrepency in the beginning of the book. On page 87, Nicholas tells Dougless that he was writing a letter to his mother, just as he was leaving to come forward in time. On page 99 Dougless wonders if he can read and write.
I did not find it a particularly satislfying book and just crept through it page by page hoping that along the way it would improve and that the tempo of the story would quicken. For sure it was not a book that I could not put down. I had to consciously think about going back to read it.
Perhaps it is because I am not a real fan of time travel books that I did not find it to be a "thrillingly romantic tale."

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite ALL time romances!!, Feb. 26 2003
JBogue (Spicewood, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Knight in Shining Armor (Mass Market Paperback)
The story: Dougless Montgomery tries to live up to the standards set by her perfect, rich family. But she always seems to fall short, and they end up laughing at her. She is thrilled when her boyfriend (a doctor) tells her he is taking her on a vacation to England. She just knows he is going to propose! Then he tells her he is bringing his bratty daughter, and not only that, but Dougless must pay half the expenses of the trip. So much for romance!
In England, after days of fighting with her boyfriend and the brat, she finds herself stranded in a churchyard surrounded by ancient tombs and statues. Physically and emotionally exhausted she falls at the feet of one of the statues. When she looks at it, she sees a 16th century knight. She starts to cry and wishes that somehow she could find her own knight in shining armor.
Suddenly she hears a ruckus behind her and standing there is Nicholas, the knight from the statue. As she loses her heart to him, she must also help him get back to his own time. Can their love endure? How can she live without him?
This book is absolutely Deveraux's best! It is Snow White and Cinderella all mixed together with a modern twist. You will laugh (Dougless tries to teach medieval ladies how to play Monopoly) and cry (Dougless must help Nicholas return to the 16th century to stop his execution). When I think of this book, I just have to sit back and sigh...it is such a wonderful, touching story. If you don't love this story, check your pulse...you might be dead. That is the only reason not to love this book!
JBogue
paper-and-lace
Specializing in paranormal romance and fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars The epitome of romance...., Feb. 8 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: A Knight in Shining Armor (Mass Market Paperback)
I'm pretty stingy with my stars, but this book was everything I had read about in the reviews. I was hesitant to read it at first because I've never been a big fan of the time-travel genre, but with the new, pretty cover (yeah, I know, I know, don't judge a book...) I was inspired to give it a try. Boy am I glad I did!
The first part of the book was a romance-reader's dream. Nicholas was the perfect hero (C'mon, what would you expect from a knight in shining armor?). Dougless, granted, was pretty pathetic, but she was a perfect match for Nicholas. There were many funny and tender scenes in the first half of the book, and let me just emphasize again how perfect Nicholas was. In the end of the first half, when he gives up on pursuing his family's honor for Dougless' love... well, it almost made me cry.
The second half of the book didn't quite build up to the romance between Nicholas and Dougless as much as I would have liked; rather Nicholas suddenly remembers their 20th century relationship and wham, they're in love again. However, the historical detail was fascinating; I learned several things I never knew. And when Nicholas tells his mother of his love, it was very touching.
However, the ending of this book was the best. It was original; romantic, yet heartbreaking. When Dougless learns about how she changed Nicholas' future, I started crying. And the scene on the plane was the perfect ending. I don't know how anyone couldn't have liked the ending. Of course it wasn't like every other romance novel- it was better. Dougless had gained a spine, Nicholas had gained honor, and they both had gained a love that spanned time. I thought it was slightly unfair that Dougless meets a real-life love (the reincarnated Nicholas?), but Nicholas never marries. However, it does make the love story all the more touching. Have some Kleenex handy! This is the first romance novel that has actually made me cry in a long time!

A Knight in Shining Armor
A Knight in Shining Armor by Jude Deveraux (Mass Market Paperback - Dec 1 2002)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01