5.0 out of 5 stars get the paperback
Published on June 14 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars Great potential but . . .
Having been a fan of the TV show, I was delighted when Richard Hatch started writing his Battlestar series and bought each book upon publication. I was looking forward to the third installment that would resolve the cliffhanger of "Will Starbuck survive?" (As if we didn't know)
Shortly before "Resurrection"s publication, I read a letter by...
Published on Aug. 5 2001 by K. Fry

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars get the paperback, June 14 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Resurrection (Battlestar Galactica) (Mass Market Paperback)
I gave this book one star when it came out in hardback. That edition was a major disappointment. Richard Hatch claimed that the publisher had printed a very early draft of the story by mistake. It sure looked that way to me. I hoped that the publisher would correct that mistake by using the completed draft in future printings. I have now read the paperback edition of Resurrection and they got it right. Resurrection is a marvelous novel that's on par with the first two books in the series. Skip the hardback, but order the paperback.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well paced, exciting, and filled with surprises., June 28 2003
Nina M. Osier (Augusta, ME USA) - See all my reviews
Battle with the alien Chitain fleet has cost the colonial fleet a terrible price. As Commander Apollo decides to take his remaining people and ships to coordinates provided by a newly discovered holocube that maps the expansion across the galaxy of the now-vanished Thirteenth Tribe of Kobol, Commander Cain ("The Living Legend") challenges both his leadership and his decision. With food, fuel, and other resources running perilously low, Cain believes the fleet must make its stand instead of risking this journey into the unknown.
Apollo prevails for the moment, and the fleet soon finds itself at the Thirteenth Tribe's starting point. Kobol, home planet to their race. It's now (apparently) deserted and barren, blasted by the ancient Cylons just as viciously as the Twelve Colonies were by modern Cylons at the start of the fleet's own 20-yahren journey. Before this adventure is over, Apollo's closest and lifelong friend Starbuck will lie dead (no, this is not a spoiler - read the book to find out why!). His long romance with Cain's daughter, his comrade-in-arms Sheba, will end because he can't let go of his dead wife Serina. His sister and colleague Athena will join with another once-staunch ally, Council President Tighe, in supporting Cain's renewed challenge for control of the fleet; and the allied Cylon and Chitain fleets will find the Colonials again, at Kobol.
It appears that I enjoyed this book a great deal more than did other readers who've posted their reviews. Yes, I noticed the editing errors. They were distracting, but by no means spoiled the book for me. I thought it much better written than "Warhawk," in which we first met the Chitains. My only complaints are that Apollo's breakup with Sheba apparently took place off camera, which left me feeling cheated; and that some of Apollo's interior monologue scenes served the unfortunate purpose of "telling instead of showing."
With that said, I found the story generally well paced, exciting, and filled with surprises. I was pleased that the authors addressed the old TV series' sexism, instead of pretending that it never existed. If you were watching in 1978, as I was, you'll remember that women started flying Vipers into combat only when there were no longer enough men to do so; and that the episode in which that first happened treated it as the cutest thing imaginable. Meh. Nevertheless, I'd much rather have it addressed than pretend it never was filmed that way - and this book's authors have, while resolving the long rivalry between Apollo and Athena, dealt with the entire "Colonial culture and gender" issue both believably and gracefully.
I found the ending, with its foreshadowing of the next book, a delightful chill. I am not running out to buy that next book in hardcover - I will wait quite calmly for the paperback's eventual release. But I will get it then for sure, because I must know what Count Iblis is up to now!

5.0 out of 5 stars BSG: Resurrection goes back to past,looks to future, Dec 14 2002
This review is from: Resurrection (Hardcover)
Richard Hatch is right on with his third in a now four book series about the journey of the Battlestar Galactica and her fleet of human survivors to find Earth.
Mr. Timmons' lets flow onto paper the spirit of Richard's Galactica adventure 20 years after the Galactica and the Rag Tag Fleet began their pilgramage away from the crushing blow the Cylon Empire delt them all.
Richard takes his main character, Apollo, on a search for his own soul by having him encounter those he loved the most in his past. His dreams reveal a doubt in himself that leaves a leader in anguish. He takes a chance when times are the roughest and almost pays by sacrificing his best friend and the entire fleet. It is a dramatic "back to the beginning" tale that will leave you with a deeper respect of the leader as a man as well as a hero.
Richard tells an emotionally action packed tale that leaves his readers with a twist in the end. It is a must read if you enjoyed the first two novels! Thanks Richard!

1.0 out of 5 stars What Happened to The Good Stories from Before?!, Aug. 24 2001
This review is from: Resurrection (Hardcover)
I was an original fan of the TV show, and was excited that one of the stars, Richard Hatch, started writing stories. I was glad that the same characters were there in the first book and liked the new ones introduced. I had hoped, in the TV show, that Apollo and Sheba would get together, so was glad that he had kept them together. I was also glad that he gave Athena a stronger role--so, I greatly enjoyed the first book and eagerly looked for the second book. The 2nd one was o.k., not as good as the first, but I hoped the 3rd book would get better, like the 1st one. So, when it finally came out, I bought the hardback edition so I could finally read it--but was greatly disappointed!! Other reviewers have pointed out the large number of gramatical mistakes. I couldn't believe that he broke up Apollo and Sheba just like that after a long relationship and then went on to Cassopeia!? And the character of Cain was an insult to the TV character and the actor! I'm very sorry I spent so much money on the book. When the next one comes out, if I even want to read it, I'll check it out from a library! Sorry Richard Hatch, but you're not it the league of Sci-Fi story tellers like Gene Rodenberry, George Lucas or Steven Speilberg!

1.0 out of 5 stars Back to Galactica 1980 Quality, Aug. 19 2001
This review is from: Resurrection (Hardcover)
After having read, re-read and thoroughly enjoying the previous two books, I found myself checking the Amazon website regularly for indications the third book was imminent... I was so anxious to have ordered it in advance... but, what a complete letdown. From both a characterization and story continuity perspective, Ressuerection was a very significant divestiture from Arm and Hawk. What in the galaxy happened to Dalton? I found myself hating this character in Book III... what a ridiculous redirection of her character wrt the Troy relationship. Apollo and Cassie... give me a break... what would have been appropriate was an exploration and degree of closure around the complex relationship with Sheba and Apollo after the twist in Hawk... weren't they to be sealed in Arm??? Just like it never happened. On top of all this, I had a hard time determining whether Starbuck was dead, alive, dying or being resurrected most of the time. Clearly the attention and focus and care taken with the first two books was absent. Overall, the characterization was poor - news flash to the authors... Apollo is a great character, but not the only one capable of sustained growth. What happened to the smart, intelligent Athena and Sheba, Tigh and Cain? Why is Cain made to appear as one small step away from insignficance when not being painted like a robotic, unbalanced, self serving despot? Cain was always enjoyable as the military " larger than life" warrior character... but also ( as in LL I + II ) for the deep affection he had for Sheba and Cassie... none of this in Ressurection. Killing Cain at the end was meaningless and almost like an afterthought ... but given the bungling of the character, perhaps a mercy. Equally damaging to the book was the complete and total misdirection and unlikely representation of Baltar. If this is an indication of Richard Hatch's views on BSG, I certainly hope he will have nothing to do with any resurection of the TV series in either movie or tv venues. This book had tremendous potential after the splendid Arm and Hawk, but threw it all away... barely worth checking out of a one book library. If there is to be a fourth book, Richard needs a lot more help then he accepted on this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great potential but . . ., Aug. 5 2001
K. Fry (Boston, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Resurrection (Hardcover)
Shortly before "Resurrection"s publication, I read a letter by Richard Hatch, explaining beforehand some problems with the publisher that caused him to be extremely unhappy with the finished product - I believe he said what they published was actually only a first draft. I hesitated but bought the book anyway and was actually pleasantly surprised -- I thought the story was the best of the three. Despite some glaring mistakes -- did ANYone edit this book? -- the story held me. Yes, there are huge holes, character names are confused, and the timing of one critical event is off, making me wonder if they were playing some kind of trick, and thus distrusting what I was reading. When it wasn't a trick, I thought "OOPS, there's a goof." BUT I really liked the story. I found it exciting, sometimes emotional and overall, gratifying -- much moreso than the previous two installments.
I wish Mr. Hatch and Mr. Timmons had been able to properly flesh out their characters and storylines -- no matter whose fault it was in the end. No one likes to read a half-finished book. It would have been a really great read then.
It's ironic to think that this book seems to have suffered the same fate as the TV show -- both had the potential to be so much more than just entertaining sci-fi -- but something with just that little extra depth that makes them truly special. It saddens me to think what could have been if just given the time and attention it deserved.

1.0 out of 5 stars THIRD TIME NOT THE CHARM FOR GALACTICA, Aug. 3 2001
M. Grant "MacGyver of the Books" (Detroit, Michigan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Resurrection (Hardcover)
Richard Hatch (with Christopher Golden) did a stellar job in his first two Battlestar Galactica novels - ARMAGEDDON and WARHAWK. He combined new elements with elements from the classic TV show. He developed characters and action pieces that carried weight. And he made reading Galactica like visiting an old friend. As a fan I could not have enjoyed these two books more.
Then I picked up the third Battlestar Galactica book RESURRECTION....
This time Hatch is writing with Stan Timmons and they're fighting a losing battle. Somewhere along the line they tossed out 90% of the work that was done in the first two novels. Characters that had relationships...no longer have them. Characters that were alluded to being in relationships...are suddenly back at Square #1. And characters that plot and schemed in earlier books...suddenly act dumbfounded and lost. Exactly how I felt as I worked my way through the 277 pages...DUMBFOUNDED AND LOST!
I have so many questions that were thrown off by this poorly written and poorly edited book that I don't know where to begin.
Did the editor own a spell checking program? Did the author(s) bother thinking about the first two novels? Didn't Apollo and Sheba almost get married in the earlier books? Haven't we seen a character "almost" die 90,000 time by now? Didn't Count Iblis and Baltar work and scheme together? Didn't Athena and Starbuck already live together? Is any character allowed to permanently grow besides Apollo? How exciting can antagonists be when they are reintroduced 250 pages into a story? Isn't the third book in a trilogy supposed to END all of the storylines?
And let's not even talk about the cliched "Rosemary's Baby" hint at the end of the story.
Trust me on this. I LOVED the first two Galactica books. They may be bubble-gum science fiction...but compared to this mess they read like LITERATURE.

1.0 out of 5 stars SAVE YOURSELF!!!!!!, July 18 2001
This review is from: Resurrection (Hardcover)
I'm most of the way through this book and HAD to write a review, if only for the public good.
I have read (and own) the first two Battlestar Galactica books; I enjoyed them and thought they were good. Good enough that when I saw THIS one out, I snapped it up. Mistake.
This book is NOT co-authored with Christopher Golden and it shows. The voice between books doesn't even sound the same. Titles that characters had in the previous books are rarely (if ever) used. Characters that were NEVER on the bridge in the previous two books are suddenly back to their old positions. Close relationships that existed between characters in earlier books are not even MENTIONED in this book.
It has NUMEROUS misspelled words, words run together and sometimes...words just left out. It often goes into completely different scenes without even the courtesy of a dividing line between paragraphs. I've had to back up several times and just...try to figure out what was going on. What I'm saying is this: the stuff that spellchecker and FIRST YEAR editors would catch are MISSED here.
It feels like Richard Hatch just found some kid on the Internet who LOVES Battlestar Galactica and paid him some ridiculous sum of money to write the next installment of the series the way that the kid thought it should go. Then Richard got it from him and didn't even bother to READ IT before sending if off to his publisher.
No, that's not necessarily true. I can tell when different people are writing different sections of the book. Some sections are eloquent and almost poetic. Others are...literal with almost no description accompanying it.
It's like really bad fanfiction.
I suppose I wouldn't be so irritated if I hadn't paid the full hardback price for it. My advice is: if you want to read this book, borrow it from the library. Or if you MUST own it, wait till it comes out in paperback.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the standard of the others..., July 24 2001
This review is from: Resurrection (Hardcover)
I have to say, right off, that I really enjoyed the first two Battlestar books Richard Hatch was involved in. I've also been following Richard's attempts to revitalize Galactica, and have been favorably impressed. However, this book struck me as incredibly weak. I definitely felt letdown by this story. There's that old saying in writing (at least I heard it a lot in writing classes) that you should show, not tell. In this book, I felt like I was being hit over the head with how the story was supposed to go. It didn't engage me, it didn't draw me in at all. The writing felt very forced, the story even more so... this book just seemed to fail on every level. It read more like a comic book script than a novel. Maybe that's Stan Timmons' writing, but even the gem of a story within seemed weak compared to the previous outings. Too much rehashing of every Galactica episode and story. It just didn't feel fresh or new or exciting. A real letdown.

3.0 out of 5 stars does not seem like the old Battlestar Galactica, July 24 2001
This review is from: Resurrection (Hardcover)
This isnt Battlestar Galactica the way i used to remember it.This reminds me of Galactica 1980 for some reason.That show didnt have the original cast and characters and it left the viewer with thats not Battlestar Galactica.This book has the original characters and the feeling i get is the same. not like the old galactica.How can Apollo and Sheba hang around together for so long in the tv show become just friends in this book.They hardly spoke to each other.In Armageddon{ i love that book} they were going to be sealed.Now its Apollo with cassiopeia.no way thats Starbucks girl!Bojay and Sheba messing around.I always thought they were related!This book should not have been written this way.to much change for me .I love the cover thats why i give it three stars.I hope Richard Hatch writes the next book set back in the past just like the tv show and without stan timmons.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Resurrection (Battlestar Galactica)
Resurrection (Battlestar Galactica) (Mass Market Paperback)
Used & New from: CDN$ 10.51