5.0 out of 5 stars get the paperback

Published on May 17 2002 by Sasha Fletcher

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars oops, May 17 2002
This review is from: Resurrection (Hardcover)
I am a die hard BG fan. I also adore Richard Hatch, or at least Apollo's character. I read all the reviews before I bought teh books, but honestly I didn't want to believe they were bad. I chose to believe the one optimistic review. My mistake. The first two books were okay, a little slow in the action and kind of beating one event to death. But the last book was horrible. All of the characters were suddenly out-of-character and the action failed to keep my attention. i continued reading only because i prayed that something would improve. It didn't. I don't believe I will be buying the last book. The memories I have and the way I believe the characters are from the series will sustain me more than one of these books will. It is only with the deepest regret that I do not endorse these books.

5.0 out of 5 stars get the paperback, June 14 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Resurrection (Battlestar Galactica) (Mass Market Paperback)
I gave this book one star when it came out in hardback. That edition was a major disappointment. Richard Hatch claimed that the publisher had printed a very early draft of the story by mistake. It sure looked that way to me. I hoped that the publisher would correct that mistake by using the completed draft in future printings. I have now read the paperback edition of Resurrection and they got it right. Resurrection is a marvelous novel that's on par with the first two books in the series. Skip the hardback, but order the paperback.

5.0 out of 5 stars GOOD STORY, June 2 2004
By A Customer
Warning: This book suffers from a lack of decent editing.
HOWEVER: It's still a great read. I loved the story. I enjoyed the characters. The evolving mythos is engrossing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst editing ever, Feb. 3 2004
J. Okerlund "J.Paul Okerlund" (Jamestown, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Resurrection (Hardcover)
After really enjoying Richard Hatch's first two books in this series, I was surprised at how terrible this book was. I have never seen a book edited this poorly. On top of that, many of the plots from the first two books were dropped, or took off at 90 degree angles for no reason. No good reasons (or any reason at all) were given for the changes. Perhaps it was all the fault of the new coauthor. If so, Mr. Hatch needs to do a better job of previewing what he attaches his name too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, But Not Great, Oct. 15 2003
If you like BG and know the story you'll probably enjoy the book.
Overall I liked the story and the writing. It was great to read about these great characters again. The story is true to the original.
My only complaint is that I have always detested the 'spiritual', glowing beings of light arc in the BG story line. This detracts from what could have been a stronger story.
Otherwise a good read for BG fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars A new direction for Battlestar Galactica, Sept. 3 2003
Christoph J Seeley (APO, AE United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Resurrection (Hardcover)
Okay Here we go - The Colonial Fleet is on the verge of being annahilated by the Cylons. Apollo who directed the fleet to go to the planet Kirasolia after the events in Warhawk has his fleet use the advanced QSE technology to escape destruction. The Colonials return to the planet Kobol and learn some very important lessons one being sometimes you have to go back in order to go forward. Richard Hatch and Stan Timmons take the legend to new levels and in new directions. Apollo goes head to head with "The Legendary" Commander Cain when Cain challenges Apollo for leadership of the fleet. But that's just the tip of the iceberg. There are other twists and surprises that make this book a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting direction, Aug. 31 2003
Christoph J Seeley (APO, AE United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Resurrection (Hardcover)
This book had enough twists and other surprises to make it interesting. Commander Apollo standing up to the "Living Legend" Commander Cain was priceless. The characters have grown and evovled to new levels. Athena discovers the benefits of being full blooded Kobollian, Starbuck discovers that he's mortal and grows as a Warrior and a father. Dalton and Troy stop frakkin' around and get thier relationship going. I wondered why the fleet didn't get contacted the first time they were at Kobol. I guess they hadn't yet proven thier worth to the Lords of Kobol. The reader is in store for an excellent story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well paced, exciting, and filled with surprises., June 28 2003
Nina M. Osier (Augusta, ME USA) - See all my reviews
Battle with the alien Chitain fleet has cost the colonial fleet a terrible price. As Commander Apollo decides to take his remaining people and ships to coordinates provided by a newly discovered holocube that maps the expansion across the galaxy of the now-vanished Thirteenth Tribe of Kobol, Commander Cain ("The Living Legend") challenges both his leadership and his decision. With food, fuel, and other resources running perilously low, Cain believes the fleet must make its stand instead of risking this journey into the unknown.
Apollo prevails for the moment, and the fleet soon finds itself at the Thirteenth Tribe's starting point. Kobol, home planet to their race. It's now (apparently) deserted and barren, blasted by the ancient Cylons just as viciously as the Twelve Colonies were by modern Cylons at the start of the fleet's own 20-yahren journey. Before this adventure is over, Apollo's closest and lifelong friend Starbuck will lie dead (no, this is not a spoiler - read the book to find out why!). His long romance with Cain's daughter, his comrade-in-arms Sheba, will end because he can't let go of his dead wife Serina. His sister and colleague Athena will join with another once-staunch ally, Council President Tighe, in supporting Cain's renewed challenge for control of the fleet; and the allied Cylon and Chitain fleets will find the Colonials again, at Kobol.
It appears that I enjoyed this book a great deal more than did other readers who've posted their reviews. Yes, I noticed the editing errors. They were distracting, but by no means spoiled the book for me. I thought it much better written than "Warhawk," in which we first met the Chitains. My only complaints are that Apollo's breakup with Sheba apparently took place off camera, which left me feeling cheated; and that some of Apollo's interior monologue scenes served the unfortunate purpose of "telling instead of showing."
With that said, I found the story generally well paced, exciting, and filled with surprises. I was pleased that the authors addressed the old TV series' sexism, instead of pretending that it never existed. If you were watching in 1978, as I was, you'll remember that women started flying Vipers into combat only when there were no longer enough men to do so; and that the episode in which that first happened treated it as the cutest thing imaginable. Meh. Nevertheless, I'd much rather have it addressed than pretend it never was filmed that way - and this book's authors have, while resolving the long rivalry between Apollo and Athena, dealt with the entire "Colonial culture and gender" issue both believably and gracefully.
I found the ending, with its foreshadowing of the next book, a delightful chill. I am not running out to buy that next book in hardcover - I will wait quite calmly for the paperback's eventual release. But I will get it then for sure, because I must know what Count Iblis is up to now!

1.0 out of 5 stars Off Par, April 8 2003
This review is from: Resurrection (Hardcover)
Like many I anticpated this book. When I got it I was disappointed. I looked and found some answers. Richard Hatch had conflicts with the publisher over the third book. The story that they decided to publish was a rough draft, not a polished version. (As many of us can tell) In a posted interview he stated how disappointed he was with the book. I must agree, the book screams "unfinished". I hope his next one is better. I know it has been out for a while, but I am hesitant.

5.0 out of 5 stars BSG: Resurrection goes back to past,looks to future, Dec 15 2002
This review is from: Resurrection (Hardcover)
Richard Hatch is right on with his third in a now four book series about the journey of the Battlestar Galactica and her fleet of human survivors to find Earth.
Mr. Timmons' lets flow onto paper the spirit of Richard's Galactica adventure 20 years after the Galactica and the Rag Tag Fleet began their pilgramage away from the crushing blow the Cylon Empire delt them all.
Richard takes his main character, Apollo, on a search for his own soul by having him encounter those he loved the most in his past. His dreams reveal a doubt in himself that leaves a leader in anguish. He takes a chance when times are the roughest and almost pays by sacrificing his best friend and the entire fleet. It is a dramatic "back to the beginning" tale that will leave you with a deeper respect of the leader as a man as well as a hero.
Richard tells an emotionally action packed tale that leaves his readers with a twist in the end. It is a must read if you enjoyed the first two novels! Thanks Richard!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Resurrection (Battlestar Galactica)
Resurrection (Battlestar Galactica) (Mass Market Paperback)
Used & New from: CDN$ 12.12