5.0 out of 5 stars Land of the Robots
Published on June 8 2003 by Philip Gipson

1.0 out of 5 stars From pulp to [not]
I've been a huge Transformers fan for years, knowing full well that it could easily be turned from a toy franchise into a full-fledged science-fiction franchise. There was so much story to draw upon, and so many characters. Surely, there would one day be a book that could capitalize on the idea, and give readers a level of depth and respect that would elevate the...
Published on June 16 2003 by Neale R Davidson

2.0 out of 5 stars Hardwired: A Hard Read, July 7 2003
Christopher Hawks "Salt-Man Z" (Apple Valley, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hardwired (Transformers, Book 1) (Paperback)
Let me state right off the bat that I love Transformers in all of its incarnations, from G1 through Beast Wars up to the current line, Armada. I'm also an avid reader, and a fan of sci-fi franchise novels like Star Trek, Star Wars, and X-Files. So "Transfomers: Hardwired" seems like it would be right up my alley, right?
Well...not really, it seems. There are so many things wrong with this book, I couldn't possibly list them all under the 1,000 words alloted for this review. Here's a taste, though: (1) This book was not edited. The typos average about one PER PAGE from misued apostrophes to missing spaces, quote marks, and the occasional missing word. There are also many instances of switching tenses in the same sentence, and similar mistakes that would have been caught had this book been proof-read. But it obviously was not. (2) The Transformers characters are dull and uninteresting, for the most part. With so few characters actually appearing, you'd think the characterization would come through. But it doesn't. Prime and Megatron get some, and Bluestreak gets a little more. But that's about it. Besides Starscream, and perhaps Soundwave and Grimlock, the rest of the cast is virtually interchangeable. (3) The human characters are all very cliched and uninteresting. Franklin is the typical tough-guy gov't operative. Spike is your everyday angsty anti-hero hero. (4) The plot itself feels vaguely familiar, as if its many components have merely been rehashed from old TF comics and cartoons. (5) The "mature" feel the author tries to give the book is possibly the biggest letdown. The unnecessary profanity sounds weird and forced, especially coming out of the mouths of giant alien robots. And there's a large amount of pointless blood and gore that turned me off to the book practically from the get-go. It's also fairly disturbing how casually the author kills off Transformer characters -- especially since most of the "deaths" serve no real purpose, storywise.
On the positive side, it fits into the continuity of the current Transformers comics by Dreamwave. In fact, one of the book's best points is the characterizations of Prime and Megatron -- very much their DW comic selves, but expanded slightly. Also, Bluestreak gets quite possibly some of the best characterization he's EVER received. I also must admit that the last half of Hardwired is much better than the first. Though I found the first chapter or two to be very good, the next 150 pages or so turned me off so much that picking it up to read at night actually became quite a struggle. But the last half I actually {gasp!} enjoyed somewhat.
Still, the whole thing reads like a fairly weak fanfic. I'd give it a star and a half if I could, but I'll settle for rounding that score up to two.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tripped up by details., June 25 2003
Brian Holder (Wake Forest, NC, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hardwired (Transformers, Book 1) (Paperback)
Like many, I was excited when I learned that those beloved giant robots from Cybertron were being printed in a novel. Being one to never go anywhere without a book in hand, this was blessedly welcome news. Then I started to read the book. While I applaud the intention, and love the fact that it happened, I find it irritating to come across so many grammatical and typographical errors.

I can forgive a few mistakes, but when so many spaces and important pronouns are left out, it tends to be a little too muchto ignore. One sentence really caught my attention: "Unfortunately for you, my dad and have never gotten along." (172). This is the kind of thing a middle school English teacher would never let go unnoticed.

The descriptions tend to go a little long, such as the tour-guide take on the Hoover Dam, and after a while I get tired of reading "the plucky yellow Autobot." I could use a little less of the extensive and repetitive detail and perhaps a bit more dialogue if it didn't feel so mechanical, even from the humans, to me.
On the whole, I enjoyed the concepts and ideas this book presented, but the tedious faults of the little things in editing almost drove me wild after a while.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much, much better than expected, June 23 2003
Texas Wutherford (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hardwired (Transformers, Book 1) (Paperback)
Transformers novel. Hmmm. You figure, at worst, it's bland, but maybe you'll get a few precious nuggets of entertainment out of it, right?
Imagine the surpise when the novel is actually interesting, entertaining, and original!? Well, not that original, I mean, come on, but for a licensed property novel...? Better than we deserve. The portrayal of the Transformers as giant alien intruders on our fragile world is not a fresh perspective of the popular characters, but here it was developed to a previously unseen depth that I dug.
The book is split into several plotlines that range from the science fictiony (Prime, Megatron and others forced to battle for mysterious omnipotent aliens) to the sadly bland (Spike and a psuedo-cyborg on a hunt for a decent thriller plot) to the terrific (Prowl and Bumblebee doing a buddy cop thing) and my favorite, Starscream finally getting a shot at the big time in Sin City. There are enough clever ideas and smooth writing to make it worth the [$$$] and week it takes to leaf through it.
Only thing knocking off that last star are an enormous amount of typos. Jeez! Try editing the thing! Every 10 pages it was something else, from a misspelling to a mixed up paragraph. Really tossed me from the experience, you know?
I eagerly anticipate the next two novels in this series, and heartily recommend this book to ANY kind of fan of the Transformers. Really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Land of the Robots, June 8 2003
Philip Gipson (Dayton, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hardwired (Transformers, Book 1) (Paperback)
I've never even heard of a "Transformers: Generation 1" novelization before. But when I read this one's description, I started to like it. This book, "Hardwired," is written by Scott Ciencin. It was released early June 2003. Ciencin's next two "G1" books are sure to be a bomb for adult "Transformers" fans -- "Annhilation," slated for the fall of this year, and "Fusion," slated for a January 2004 release. All three novels are from I Books, and they involve an alien fleet arriving on Earth to take it over, and the "G1" Autobots and Decepticons will have to put aside their differences to save our planet, whether they like it or not. "Transformers" is a trademark of Hasbro, the American toy company, under license from the Japanese toy company Takara. I don't really appreciate all those previous "TF" incarnations Hasbro did ("Generation 2," "Beast Wars," "Beast Machines," "Robots in Disguise," "Armada," and "Universe"), but I love their original incarnation -- "Generation 1." It was them alone that put the "bot" in "Autobot" and the "con" in "Decepticon"! My mom told me once that she had a dream about the "G1" Decepticons leaving our home planet of Earth with its precious energy in a new spaceship, holding most of today's celebrities hostage, including my mom. I thought she was making it all up to humiliate me, but now I believe her. She's not going to let me buy anything that concerns the world of "Transformers." Honestly, I think she's a big bot-head!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Cool, July 6 2003
Stanley A. Rogers (Tamarac, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hardwired (Transformers, Book 1) (Paperback)
I am all for The Transformers being brought into the adult realm of Sci Fi Novels. Its perfect science fiction. Now it isnt the greatest book i have ever read but Its a great start. Hopefully after this trilogy more TF novels will come out. Sex, Gore, Violence. etc.. are all parts of the book but it just sums up the adult theme. I for one, will be glad to have less human interaction in future TF novels, and focus more on the charecters.. As we get a glimpse of classic charecters personalities. Soundwave, Starscream, Megatron, Grimlock, Optimus Prime, and a few more..are among the main Tf's involved. I personally found the Soundwave and Starscream alliance interesting..since this plays into the Dreamwave universe. Well have fun reading this one, I did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Out with the Armada---The Origionals are the best!!!, Oct. 15 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Hardwired (Transformers, Book 1) (Paperback)
Being a Transformers fan from the begining, I found that the book was awsome. I truley am into the original (or G1) Transformers, and thought the book brought them from their golden years and put them into "todays" events. I even liked how they threw in the human factor and made the story come more alive. I mean, big robots trampling all over the earth, how do normal humans feel about it.
I believe in stories to be great, there is not really a definite good or bad side. Everything has a mix, and the book brought that emotion out into the Transformers world. I, for one, am looking forward to the next two books, and hope that fuel is added to make this book come more to home than it already has.
Good Job, Scott Ciencin!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Hardwired was above average, June 26 2003
Wally Garcia "garciawally" (Bamberg, GE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hardwired (Transformers, Book 1) (Paperback)
A great book to read but lacking in the proofing department. I have not read many books but the ones I have read don't make these kinds of mistakes. There are quite a few although they do not necessarily take away from the story. This story picks up shortly after the G1 volume one comic and ties in some of the gap between volume one and volume two. It also gives some explanations as to the what and why of the volume one comic. I am writing vaguely but I don't want to ruin the story for anyone. All in all a great read. After years of not even thinking Transformers I get back into the series with great stories such as this. It is a little gory but seems like it is geared toward adults more so than children.

2.0 out of 5 stars A big disappointment, June 28 2003
This review is from: Hardwired (Transformers, Book 1) (Paperback)
The only reason this book even gets 2 stars is because I'm happy that there are finally Transformers books for adults. The thing is, this is quite possibly the worst book I've ever read. First off, there's a typo on every other page. And what's with all the blood and gore? I know this isn't for kids, but the level of violence in this book is pretty disgusting. The writing style is horrible--it's just about all exposition--much of which is boring and repetitve--and hardly any dialogue. And when the characters do talk, they aren't portrayed well. Bumblebee sounds like an idiot and Prowl is like an army grunt. I've been a Transformers fan for a long time, and I hope the next 2 books in this series will be better.

1.0 out of 5 stars TransFans look elsewhere for a quality story., Aug. 17 2003
Jason K. Daniels "thephantomjason" (Austin, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hardwired (Transformers, Book 1) (Paperback)
there is little I can add to what else has been said by Previous reviewers. I'm 27 years old and I've been a TF fan from day one and I have to say this is certainly the worst book I've ever read. If you want a quality Transformers story Pick up the collections of Simon Furman's works. If you're in the mood for a good Transformers novel look into picking up "Eugenesis" by James Roberts. His was actually the first Transformers novel. He self published it and it is, of course, not officially licensed and basically fanfiction but at the same time it is a quality novel and one of the best Transformers stories ever.

3.0 out of 5 stars it's not that bad, Sept. 13 2003
This review is from: Hardwired (Transformers, Book 1) (Paperback)
While it's true that there are a great number of grammatical errors, the story is well-paced and full of surprises. I didn't like that a couple of well-known Transformers die over the course of the novel, but it was was still intriguing. My other complaint was that the personalities of the characters in the novel don't really match those of the mythology. For example, I always pictured Soundwave to be a stoic loyal soldier to the Decepticon cause; not a sadistic weakling who runs his mouth during combat. Despite all these flaws, I'll still check out Book 2.

Hardwired (Transformers, Book 1)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01