5.0 out of 5 stars Written with Love and Filled with Exceptional Insights
We've read about too many school shootings. These are intensely sad events as young lives are ended and harmed while sickening fear is permanently released to further separate communities. We all blame the parents for being so clueless.

Published on April 13 2007 by Donald Mitchell

3.0 out of 5 stars More Bookish Thoughts...
Maybe 3.5 stars...

Published 19 months ago by Reader Writer Runner

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Written with Love and Filled with Exceptional Insights, April 13 2007
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Ce commentaire est de: Nineteen Minutes: A novel (Hardcover)

I wasn't sure I wanted to read a long novel about such an event. But I'm glad I did. Nineteen Minutes takes the bare facts of such an awful day and helps us see the whole experience from every perspective. And the book does so with a kind and gentle heart.

This shifting of the balance of our perceptions is accomplished by several well-performed techniques including many narrators (different students, three parents, the police, the defense attorney, and his wife), connections among the characters, and multiple back stories that reach literally into the womb. The book's theme is far more universal than school shootings: How we grow away from our real selves and the damage that does to us and others.

I was very impressed by the way that Ms. Picoult viewed every character with mostly sympathy, even when you might think of them as being unsympathetic from the facts. Each character is also mildly funny. She doesn't let the tragedy pull us too far away from the realities of everyday life. It's an extraordinary storytelling gift.

If you are like me, you'll probably feel that your faith in people is increased by reading this story rather than the reverse. That reaction also surprised me.

No matter what your age is I think you'll find this book will draw you back into those turbulent teen years when being popular meant way too much. It'll be an intense and self-revealing visit.

Bravo, Ms. Picoult! This is a remarkable book.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book hits home on all levels, May 25 2014
Ce commentaire est de: Nineteen Minutes (Paperback)
This shows how quickly ones life can change in a blink of an eye. Loved this book! Recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, Jan. 9 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I originally borrowed this book from a library then bought 2 copies for Christmas gifts for my daughter & my mother in law.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, July 6 2013
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
This was the second book of Jodi Picoult that I have read and I am looking forward to reading more. She tackles difficult topics and brings depth and scope to them. Very well written!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nineteen Minutes review, March 27 2013
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I really was engrossed and finished the book in one long, "I can't sleep!" night. It was interesting, well written and kept my attention. I vaguely suspected, who the very surprising murderer was. i couldn't put my finger on it but i think there were very suble hints in behaviors that made me suspect who the murder was, but in a way I was also suprised. Like I said, it was a very vague suspistion. I would recommend anyone to read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great One from Jodi Picoult, March 6 2013
Ce commentaire est de: Nineteen Minutes (Paperback)
This was my 3rd Jodi Picoult book. Wow. She's such an amazing story teller! Tragic story, wonderfully told. She hasn't disappointed me yet.

3.0 out of 5 stars More Bookish Thoughts..., Jan. 2 2013
Reader Writer Runner (Victoria, BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Maybe 3.5 stars...

Jodi Picoult’s 14th novel begins with high-voltage excitement: seventeen-year-old Peter Houghton, an eternally bullied computer programmer, walks into his New Hampshire high school with a knapsack full of guns and kills ten students. With over a thousand witnesses and a video tape of the day's events against him, Houghton's lawyer Jordan McAfee has his work cut out for him. He bases his defence on the only plea that might save Peter: Post Traumatic Stress Disorder caused by bullying.

"Nineteen Minutes" also features Judge Alex Cormier and her daughter Josie, who used to be best friends with Peter until the popular crowd forced the limits of her loyalty. Picoult mixes McAfee's attempt to build a case for Peter with the mending relationship of Alex and Josie but the more interesting thread is Peter's parents' response to the tragedy. Could they have done anything to prevent the tragedy? How can they keep loving their son after he commits murder?

Unfortunately, the novel slows by the middle and never regains its initial pace or appeal. Picoult fails to flesh Peter out beyond stereotype, focusing only on her twisting plot line. A premise with much potential falters in its exploration of what turns a recluse into a murderer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story... until the end, July 11 2012
Ce commentaire est de: Nineteen Minutes (Paperback)
I liked the story and the characters in the book. I was extremely disapointed in the end as I am with most of Picoult's books. She drags the story on and then in end twists the ending and completly ruins it by rushing the plot at the end. Could have been a lot better.

1.0 out of 5 stars A boring chour to read, April 9 2012
Ce commentaire est de: Nineteen Minutes (Paperback)
I read a lot of books in my spare time and I love to read but This book is really hard to get into for the first 200 pages.Over all I didn't enjoy it that much it's far to slow and boring in my opinion, for every good part in the book it seems like there are 10 boring parts.I also found the book jumps around alot too (first they're in high school,then buddys is shooting up the school and then there in kidnergarden,and then in high school,then after the shootings).I found this book a real chour to read and I think it's more for a women then a man to read, but friends insisted I should read it and it was dreadful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldnt put the book down, March 8 2012
Ce commentaire est de: Nineteen Minutes (Paperback)
This story really makes you look back at your childhood and ahead at your children's and hope that everyone is more thoughtful towards each others needs. I couldn't put the book down.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Nineteen Minutes
Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult (Paperback - Feb. 5 2008)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 14.43