5.0 out of 5 stars Great Page Turner in Alexandra Cooper Series
Published on Nov. 27 2001 by Connie Rutter

3.0 out of 5 stars An Interesting History Lesson
This was my first Linda Fairstein novel. I thoroughly enjoyed the history of Roosevelt Island presented in the novel, but was bored with the story and characters. I will read her earlier novels and hope for better plots, but will settle for more good history lessons. Because of this novel, I look forward to visiting Roosevelt Island.
Published on Dec 4 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Page Turner in Alexandra Cooper Series, Nov. 27 2001
Connie Rutter "Connie Audio Listener" (Daytona Beach, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Deadhouse (Hardcover)
This book was a great book to read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. In previous books by this author, I thought there were too many other stories going on besides the main case, but in this book, it seemed to be more about the major case at hand. If you like the workings of solving a murder, then you will like the steps that are taken in the latest by Ms. Fairstein. I like the banter between Chapman and Cooper. Story is in the Holiday season and involves a woman that was abused by her husband and the woman is murdered. However, the murder may not be directly related to her husband even though he had put a hit on her. It is a great journey through the evidence trail and one I hope you enjoy as much as I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alex Cooper is a clever but vulnerable heroine, April 1 2004
Tin Man (New Fairfield, CT United) - See all my reviews
This book wastes no time in setting out some very juicy bait. Shortly after faking her own death as part of a sting operation planned by law enforcement types on the Jersey side of the river, political science professor Lola Dakota is found doing an excellent job of not faking her death --- having been squished by an elevator in her Manhattan apartment building after first having been strangled. By the time you finish the first chapter, the hook is set, and author Fairstein is reeling you in like a trout. Don't fight it.
Cooper and Chapman are equals in intellect, but whenever Cooper gets knocked to the ground, Chapman is there to pick her up and dust her off. It would have been far more satisfying if just once Cooper hauled off and smacked somebody. Given some of the lowlifes Ms. Fairstein has sent up the river, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were occasions when she felt like bypassing the legal system altogether and just opening up a jumbo can o' whoop-ass. I can't think of a better way to relieve the kind of professional stress that must surely be a part of Ms. Fairstein's life than letting her fictional alter ego dish out a little pay-back.
But then that wouldn't really be in character for Cooper. In this team, she supplies the glitz, and Chapman, the grit. In the end it's not that Cooper is a thinly-drawn character, it's that she's a subtle string quartet competing for the reader's attention with a supporting cast that's as hard to ignore as an under-rehearsed marching band --- and just as much fun. So even if she is quiet and cultured, even if she has a weekend place on Martha's Vineyard and a network news dude for a boyfriend, Cooper gets the job done, and in a fine and entertaining fashion.

1.0 out of 5 stars silly & boring, Oct. 26 2003
By A Customer
Having never read anything by this author I picked up this book after seeing her interviewed on TV. I love good mysteries, especially the British police porcedurals, and thought maybe Fairstein might be somewhat like those. I thoroughly disliked Alex Cooper, finding her shallow and pretentious. The constant toing and froing amongst her & Mike was tedious and embarrassing(the Blondie thing has got to go) and the story just dragged on and on, and I really just lost interest. What a waster of paper!

5.0 out of 5 stars New York history + mystery, Oct. 12 2003
Karen Kirsch "blazerlib" (Novi, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Deadhouse (Hardcover)
I love a good mystery...and when it is immersed with bits of history of New York City, I love it even more. Alex Cooper is now involved in the murder of a King's College professor, Lola Dakota (you gotta love that name!). A bit of paper with numbers on Lola's dead body sends Alex and Mike Chapman on a quest to Roosevelt Island, off the shore of Manhattan. We learn about the history of the island, including hospitals for the insane and small pox victims. Lola's colleagues become suspect for various reasons. Just another "can't put it down" book.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is what I picture a cheesy romance novel to be like...., Sept. 9 2003
Christina M. Reigle "chinacat" (Madison, OH United States) - See all my reviews
....but under the guise of a murder mystery. What a bore, I was so disappointed. I am not usually one who reads crime fiction, but for some reason the backdrop setting of the novel was what drew me in. Who couldn't be intrigued by abandoned psychiatric hospitals, asylums, prisons, etc.? This 540-odd page book is about 400 pages too long. Too many descriptions of meals, shopping, relationship problems, etc. Too predictable, as well. I was rolling my eyes constantly because it was so easy to figure out what was going to happen next. No jaw-droppers here. The characters were simply stereotypical. Fairstein's writing, I feel, talks down to the reader. Almost to the point of being offensive, like, how dumb does she think we (readers) are? This was the first (and last) novel of this kind I read, especially one by this author. I have the feeling it would make a great movie aired exclusively on Lifetime. I think I'll stick with the women's historical fiction kick I've been on.

2.0 out of 5 stars Drags, Sept. 3 2003
Bruce Burns - See all my reviews
Note that this tome is 500 pages. It's consequently filled with shopping trips, sending out Christmas gifts to family, parties, etc., adding nothing to the plot development. The first-person narrator talks a lot about her lover but we don't even meet him until page 210 or so, and then their banter and gift exchange takes up a few more chapters. The book could easily have been half as long.
Most authors can give us rich character development without dragging us along on a character's inconsequential day-to-day activities. In fact, after learning so much about "Blondie," the main character, and "Mike," the cop, even to the point of including their penchant for watching Jeopardy! every day, I couldn't care less about these very self-absorbed people.
And as for plot development, so little progress is made on the case for so long that I wasn't much interested in the plot either.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, July 25 2003
I am a big fan of Linda Fairstein's Alex Cooper series, and I loved the first three books. The Deadhouse was a major disappointment, though. The plot was unbelievable, and it ended in a rather unsatisfying climax. One of my favourite parts of the previous books was the conversations between Alex, Mercer Wallace, and Mike Chapman. Even that was missing from this book, though, as Mercer was still recovering from being shot in the chest and Mike has fallen in love with an architect. That was the most disappointing part for me. I don't know if it was just me, but I always figured Alex would dump her annoying NBC boyfriend and end up with Mike. I'm still going to read The Bone Vault, because I liked the first books so much, but this book was a major disappointment.

2.0 out of 5 stars Endless and Unfocused, June 9 2003
By A Customer
I'm a Fairstein fan, having loved her first and third books (and having found the second not quite up to par), but "The Deadhouse" is pretty much D.O.A. Extremely convoluted and even confusing at times, it rambles on and on...and gets nowhere. Huge clues (like shoe boxes full of cash) are dropped into the story and then ignored by our heroine Alexandra Cooper and her wise-cracking sidekick, Det. Chapman. The plot twist that propels this tired tale to its conclusion doesn't pop up until page 300 of the paperback addition, and by that time you probably won't give a hoot whodunit or why. (Besides, it's patently absurd.) I did find the historical information on Blackwell's Island fascinating (hence the two stars), but again, Fairstein has no idea what to do with it. And isn't it strange that in four books, we've never met anyone in Alex's family? The poor woman seems to spend every holiday alone! Worst of all, the "thing" that the murderer is killing everyone to get his/her hands on is never even found. Whatever happened to a writer wrapping up her plotlines? Fairstein is capable of terse, linear story telling, but she's just not a good enough writer to handle the red-herring laden plot she's devised for herself.

1.0 out of 5 stars DEAD IS RIGHT!!, April 23 2003
By A Customer
With L. Fairstein's 25 years as head of the New York district attorney's Sex Crime Unit, I expected a more intelligent, facetious, gritty, in-depth, realistic story. Deadhouse is shallow and uninteresting. Flat. Bad writing.
Here again we find that everybody who is anybody to the main character is the bestest of the best in his/her field of work and personal life. Her parents are wealthy...carribean home... Marth's Vineyard...Alex doesn't go to a grocery store, she has her groceries delivered. The dialogue between her and her detective friend, Mike are dull, dim (he calls her Blondie, euck). Mike himself is outragiously unnecessarily rude and crude to people.
Also here we got the main character, the head of the sex crime unit, walking the streets of NY alone in the dead of night WITHOUT ANY means of self defense such as mace or pepper spray, stun gun, pistol, retractable steel baton, cell phone. Instead of taking a self-defense class she takes ballet. Garbage.

2.0 out of 5 stars more heart, less description, Feb. 26 2003
"rubymajik" (perth, western australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Deadhouse (Hardcover)
hmmmm have just finished it - started out promisingly, got a bit slow in the middle then went on to finish somewhat implausibly! having read all of fairstein's alex cooper series, i think there is something missing - perhaps it's heart. a strong female lead is great but alex just doesn't have enough frailties (that we're privvy to) to make her human and appealing. the strong woman character is (thank goodness) nothing new in this genre but she seems more of an imitation of tempe or kay.
anyway, not a bad holiday read, but once i skimmed the descriptive passages of the island and its history there wasn't too much left to the actual plot.

The Deadhouse
The Deadhouse by Linda Fairstein (Audio Cassette - Sept. 1 2001)
Used & New from: CDN$ 6.71