5.0 out of 5 stars Pivotal History
"Living History" by Hillary Clinton is a captivating book that tells various events that powerfully played a part in Hillary Clinton's Life. Hillary Clinton opens her heart to reveal pivotal circumstances that played influential agents in her life. Among the following are some of the excerpts of circumstances that Hillary Clinton shared:
Page 23: Hillary shares how...
Published on Jan. 7 2012 by Stella Carrier

2.0 out of 5 stars She's a good girl...
Hillary Clinton is an interesting woman, with tremendous drive and ambition, and this will often get a woman branded as the devil incarnate. The very polarized views of her are not surprising.
Published on July 13 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Pivotal History, Jan. 7 2012
Stella Carrier "joyfulwoman2078" - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Living History (Hardcover)
Page 23: Hillary shares how she was actually at a speech of Martin Luther King Jr. that was titled "Remaining Awake Through a Revolution."
Page 39: Hillary describes her first meeting with Dean Acheson.
Pages 60-61: Details are shared about an exciting trip that Hillary Clinton and Bill Clinton took to England. This was also the country where Bill Clinton had asked her to marry him.
Pages 172-178: Vince Foster, a close friend of the Clintons, took his own life. Naturally, Vince Foster's death was painful for Hillary Clinton to bear. Hillary Clinton mentioned that she poured herself into her work to cope.
Pages 210-211: Multiple photos of Hillary Clinton's life milestones are shared. The photo that stood out the most for me was photo 42 (featuring the Clintons practicing their dances for the Inaugural Ball).
Pages 370-371: More photos are included, with one picture that featured her surprise forty-sixth birthday party.
Page 372: She mentions how Condoleeza Rice helped Chelsea Clinton to feel welcome at Stanford University.
Page 461: Hillary Clinton confesses to feeling concern about some of the members of Congress that bragged about never leaving the states.
Page 523: She shares her victory of U.S. Senator.
"Living History" by Hillary Clinton is a compelling book for the many who are interested in reading about some of the early influences that shaped Hillary Clinton throughout her life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good book, July 19 2004
This review is from: Living History (Hardcover)
I just love Hillary Clinton, but this is only after I read this book. I never really cared for her, but I decided to give this book a shot. Now that I've read it, I can see what an incredible woman she really is. I admire her greatly.
As for the book itself, it wasn't the best thing I had ever read. Some of it was a little boring, but overall I thought it was worth reading. I enjoyed reading about her childhood and I loved hearing about her getting involved in politics. I now see her relationship with Bill in a new light, and I am glad she didn't dwell on the Monica Lewinsky scandal. She had a much bigger story to tell, and I am glad she did it.
The reason some people may not like this book is because it reads more like a political manifesto rather than an out-and-out memoir. The times when she went into too much detail on foreign policies were things I could have done without. Still, I am glad I gave this book a shot because it really does make you see her in a new light. She is no longer the ice woman I once thought she was. Then again my family is predominantly Republican, so it's no wonder I thought that. It's hard for me to think I once thought so little of this incredible woman.
Another reason people may not like this is because they were expecting a juicy gossip rag about the Lewinsky scandal. Like I said earlier, Ms. Clinton does not dwell on this and I love her for that. That is a time in her life she has moved on from and we should all take a page from her book.
I have a newfound respect for Hillary Clinton. She has inspired me to become more involved in politics and I think she is just an amazing woman. Thanks to her, I have come to embrace my liberal views and am not afraid to be the only Democrat in a family full of Republicans. Go out and buy this book to get a glimpse into who this woman really is. She will get my vote if she ever decides to run for the presidency of the United States.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful insight into the life of a first lady., Dec 18 2013
This review is from: Living History (Audio CD)
The book was a wonderful insight into the workings of the White House and what the Clintons endured during Bill Clinton's presidency; Both Bill and Hillary Clinton were unjustly treated by Ken Starr and his "gang" that were out to get them at every turn. I admire both of the Clintons as they carried on their work through all they had to suffer at the hands of Ken Starr.

Marilyn Dillman

2.0 out of 5 stars She's a good girl..., July 13 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Living History (Hardcover)
What was surprising was the tone and lack of depth in this book. It reads as if she had a list of items she wanted to tick off as having explained. 'I'm a good girl, really.' was the underlying theme. I can't believe she's as naive as she portrays herself. She does admit to a few mistakes, but her apologies are all for not doing a better job, like any good girl.
The healthcare chapter is a good example. She was unable to overcome hurdles around the complexity of the legislative process involved, and she makes 'apologies' for her failure along the lines of 'well, we tried really hard & it's a good cause'. But as she & Bill are both Yale lawyers, with experience in private practice (her) and as the Arkansas attorney general (him) and as they had easy access to many of the best legal minds in the country, it is hard to understand. It comes across more like professional negligence than the naivety it is painted as. I suspect ambition (the 100 day goal) was the real cause for failure, which is a shame given how important this issue is to our country and how badly we need healthcare reform. To put something this complex under a 100 day deadline is almost sophomoric - or ambition out of control.
She is also careful to mention every person and cause that might win over supporters. An extraordinary number of her enounters seemed to have resulted in 'lifelong' friendships. Many iconic figures like Jackie Kennedy and Nelson Mandela get a lot of airtime. It's a bit too good to be true. It reads almost as if she's running for something.
Maybe Sarah Bradford, who wrote that wonderful biography of Jackie Kennedy, will write the book about Hillary one day and we'll get a better picture of who she really is - from all angles. Personally, I would have found the intelligent, ambitious Hillary much more interesting and admirable than the girl scout we hear about in this book... it's a shame powerful women still feel they have to paint themselves as 'good girls' to be heard.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hillary Lite, July 10 2004
This review is from: Living History (Hardcover)
All right, let's be honest. Everyone who thought that she was going to confess that she was an axe murderer who enjoyed cross-dressing and drowning newborn kittens please raise your hand. Right, no hands.
Normally, people write autobiographies to tell their version of events, and cast themselves in as positive a light as possible. That is what Hillary Rodham Clinton has done in "Living History." If you are a fan of Senator Clinton's, you will enjoy the book, not least because she offers plausible explanations for some of the less savory accusations that have been hurled against her over the last three decades or so, including Whitewater, the national healthcare debacle and those commodities trades. If you are not a fan, you will not enjoy the book for exactly the same reason ' many of the explanations are plausible. Even less appealing to the Senator's detractors, her prose is very readable (though I do wish she wouldn't use "impact" as a verb), her life has been (and continues to be) interesting and she is more charming in print than she often seems in public appearances.
Granted, some of the prose (particularly in the early years) is self-serving: "The keynote speaker at the League convention was Marian Wright Edelman, whose example helped direct me into my lifelong advocacy for children" sound more than a bit self-serving. In her defense, however, she works through the pre-White House days very quickly, so it all becomes a blur of good deeds as a child and honors as a student, right on through graduate school (student government, political activist, first student commencement speaker at Wellesley, etc.). One wonders if she ever got a B in a class or missed a lecture because she overslept. The only exception is her hair, which she treats as a running joke throughout the book.
The other running theme -- no surprise here -- is her belief in a right-wing conspiracy against the Clintons. Read that either as an accurate statement, as the Senator's paranoia or somewhere between. There is no denying, however, that mentioning the Clinton name in certain conservative circles produces the same effect of throwing an ear of corn into a pen of pigs ' both are devoured in seconds.
Whether Senator Clinton does or does not plan to run for President in 2004, or after, one intention of this book is clearly to give her an opportunity to explain herself, and thus reintroduce herself, to the American voting public. That clearly raises the question: why? Perhaps, like Nancy Reagan, she just wanted to tell it her way, or perhaps she is just planning for all eventualities. In any case, this is an interesting read, if not an overly revealing biography of a very complex and ' like it or not ' influential woman in American politics, not a must read, but certainly on the short list for consideration.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry I Read It, July 4 2004
Ginger, New Orleans "ginger6040" (New Orleans, LA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living History (Hardcover)
I set out to read this book as a fan of Hillary, and a woman and attorney who believed Hillary could and would someday be President. By the time I finished the book, I was sorry I read it because I lost a role model. Anyone reading between the lines will be turned off by her excuses, conspiracy theories, and frankly, lies. To vent my frustrations, I bought Dick Morris's response to Hillary's book (appropriately titled "Rewriting History") and he pretty much laid it out just as I saw it. Morris stated what was was obvious from reading Hillary's book, but it was good therapy. Morris was also more objective than I expected after the first couple of chapters of his book. Ironically, I saw more Hillary attributes by Morris's criticism of Hillary than I gathered from Hillary's book.

4.0 out of 5 stars History Light, July 18 2004
John G. Hilliard (Toronto Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living History (Hardcover)
I must admit that this is the first memoir I have ever read that was by the First Lady and given this one is graded as one of the better ones, I think it may be my last. It was not that the book was badly written, it was just that the majority of what the First Lady does is not all that interesting to me. Reading about this fund raisers, good will trips or party planning are not my idea of thrilling political insider info. I am more interested in the hard fought, inside the beltway battles that make major decisions. I obviously new this book was about the First Lady, but given the Clinton Presidency, I assumed that it would cover more in depth the political battles the administration faced. Then again the book was about her.
The next compliant I would have about the book is that the author seamed to take the high road on all the areas you thought she would come out with both guns blazing on. Her comments were so bland that they almost acted to diminish or completely disregarded the very negative attacks the Clinton's faced during their terms. Sure she touched on the items of major interest, heath care reform, the full independent counsel investigation, Monica and the Senate race, but it seamed to be at such a high level that all the real nasty, dirty inside details were left out of the book. Ok I know that she has a new job now so that she did not what to lay waste the political landscape that she will be working in and one could make the argument that the First Lady needs to stay above the partisan attacks, but hey this is the edge of the seat reading I wanted.
Lastly I wanted more detail. Now given that she had lead a rather full life, Governors wife, working on the Nixon impeachment, First Lady and now Senator, to get a real detailed account of all of these areas she would have needed a much larger if not multiple volume book. I guess I would have just liked her to focus on the First Lady section of her life and have gone into more detail. Just as the book seamed to be getting into a topic, the chapter was over and on to the next installment of Hilary on the move.
Even though I have focused on the areas I disliked with the book, overall I thought it was probably better then most books dealing with the Clinton years. I did think the writing was better then average and she did have an interesting story to tell. The details she did given about the life of the First Lady and some of the inside information about the Clinton Presidency were worth the purchase price, throw in some of the personal bit and the book was not bad at all. I also have a sympathetic spot for her, so the increased my enjoyment of the book. I guess I am just a bit disappointed that the book could have been so much better. It could have been a stinging and focused rebuttal of all the overly negative and harmful to the country attacks. Then again how could one book fight back the 8 year, over the top negative campaign focused against the Clinton's. I felt the book was interesting and enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars An intelligent account of history, (not gossip filled), July 12 2004
Diane Offutt (Woodstock, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living History (Hardcover)
If you are looking for gossip, go read another book. Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton's book is as the title states: It is a Living History. It is well-written and filled with facts and stories of past generations. If you have children or grandchildren this is a book you should buy for them. It is a warm and compassionate way to learn history (as opposed to our education system that tends to teach history via war dates). Buy this book. You Won't Be Sorry!
(...)

4.0 out of 5 stars hillary for president, July 11 2004
This review is from: Living History (Hardcover)
the criticism aimed at this book for its not being a bear all tell all is rather silly.
hillary writes as a politician and as a politician she writes about what interests her most, and thats the issues she is passionate for and her experiences as a first lady.
hillary clinton will go down as one of the most ambitious, if not the most ambitious first lady in history (and you know what they say, an ambitious woman is just downright uncouth!) and was dutifully ostracized for it by a supposedly 'modern progressive country'.
for many though, it was refreshing to see a woman at the white house who wasnt just tucked away and brought out for white house tours (as ms bush is).
clintons passionate obsession for reforming health care was perhaps the most nobled failed ambition in recent memory and time will vindicate her efforts and her as a heroine.
ms clintons writing is like her; reserved but passionate for what she believes in and i, for one, miss bill and hilary clinton.
heres to hoping we will see the day when someone like ms clinton in the white house as president.
of course im not holding my breath

4.0 out of 5 stars A Lovely Conversation with Senator Hilary Rodham Clinton, July 5 2004
Juliana LHeureux "Maine Writer" (Topsham, Maine United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living History (Audio CD)
My interest in reading "first lady books" pre-dates the political polarity of these interesting first person or biographical accounts of women's lives lived in the limelight of our country's premiere leadership. I began to read "first lady books" in elementary school - remember those old fashioned kids' biographies with the silhouettes for pictures? I loved those books and quite a few were about America's first ladies. Given my nature to enjoy America's first ladies, I found the audio book, "Living History" read by Senator Clinton, like talking with one of my litany of heroines. It was just like she was talking to me in the privacy of my automobile. I wish skeptics would put partisan politics aside when it comes to Senator "Mrs. Clinton". Instead, people who like autobiographical stories should simply enjoy listening to one of the most pleasant political histories I can imagine, told from the point of view of a woman who certainly earned the right to comment on her life in her own words. "Living History", read by Senator and former first lady Hilary Rodham Clinton is a terrific audio book to listen to during a long family trip. Read by the author in soothing tones, Senator Clinton explains her rather ordinary mid-western American girl's life and how it surprisingly turned into a marriage with destiny. Regardless of how you love or not-love Senator Clinton, she is destined to be America's most beloved first lady. Therefore, either challenge yourself or simply enjoy listening as she explains how she became America's first lady and subsequently elected to the United States Senate representing the great state of New York. It's American history told from the person who lived it. "Living History" is aptly titled.

Living History
Living History by Hillary Rodham Clinton (Audio CD - June 9 2003)
CDN$ 34.99 CDN$ 21.94