biss Simple and secure cloud storage snsflyour boutiques-francophones Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on May 13, 2008
Well written and moves at a good pace. I read Angela's Ashes a few years ago and decided it was at the top of my list for books about misery. It's saving grace was it was sprinkled with homour. Not so, A Thousand Splendid Suns. No humour here. However, if you like despair, sadism and unrelenting misery; this is for you. It got to the point where I began second guessing the author as to what horror he would inflict on his protaganists next. He never disappointed. Makes you wonder if the sacrafice of 83 Canadian Soldiers in Afghanistan is worth it.
0Comment4 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 2008
I didn't finish reading this book. I expected it to be more of a personal story about a woman explaining what her life was like in Afghanistan during that time. The book was more political and had more focus on the history of Afghanistan, which is fine if that's what you're looking for. I found it to be too impersonal, which resulted in a lack of connection with the reader and main character. It lost my interest pretty quickly. (The Kite Runner was better!) It's not too often that i don't finish a book.
0Comment6 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse