5.0 out of 5 stars True terror....
Dan Simmons "Summer Night" was incredible. The suspense is tangible. It actually had me looking under the table for things that come out only at night, even though I was sitting at a lunch table at work. I highly recommend the book, it is awesome.
Published on June 14 2004 by ptiche

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but not as scary as I'd hoped
Having recently begun a Dan Simmons kick (thank you, Hyperion), I was very eager to read Summer of Night. I love horror novels in general and had heard good things about this book. At first I found it was delightfully creepy; a brooding, half-abandoned school, mysterious disappearances....I liked it very much.

Unfortunately the rest of the novel didn't live up...
Published 2 months ago by Canadian Girl

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but not as scary as I'd hoped, Jan. 21 2014
Canadian Girl "CG" (Montreal, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Summer of Night (Paperback)

Unfortunately the rest of the novel didn't live up to my expectations. The storyline started to feel a little too obvious and the "bad guys" were very undefined, even at the end of the book. They felt more like rough sketches of characters rather than fleshed-out people. I don't want to go into too much detail for fear of spoilers, but let's just say that my reaction once I'd finished it was something along the lines of "huh, okay."

That said, I found that the kids themselves were very well developed and fun to read about. I did find that Simmons borrowed quite a lot from Stephen King's "It" and even "Christine" when it came to the children - and their nemeses - but at the same time I cared about what happened to them. I just wish that it had all been more frightening, because when I read a horror story I want to be scared.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, Feb. 9 2013
This review is from: Summer of Night (Paperback)
I am a fan of Dan Simmons and enjoyed every book of his so far, except for this one.
The story line just didn't make much sense, the supernatural events that took place were a bit ridiculous and the plot just wasn't interesting. I did appreciate the author's writing style which was certainly eloquent and poetic, but not the plot of the story itself. It was unnecessary long and quite boring.

4.0 out of 5 stars This Band of Brothers, Aug. 25 2011
Jeffrey Swystun (Toronto & Mont Tremblant) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Summer of Night (Paperback)
I agree with many of my fellow reviewers that this work appears inspired by Stephen King (specifically The Body and It). But Simmons does have his own style and I enjoy his denser and more detailed descriptions. The group of preteens he brings together in this adventure: Dale and Lawrence Stewart, Duane McBride, Mike O'Rourke, Harlen, Kevin and Cordie - resemble in some form our own childhood friends. You can literally hear their laughter and feel their fear as the book progresses. It wisely builds upon our own memories of hopping on bikes that represented freedom and going on epic adventures both real and imagined. The author creatively includes the school (a dreaded place for kids) as the catalyst and base for something evil which is a solid ploy in the plot. Throughout, a bittersweet nostalgia reigns creating an atmosphere that becomes a key character in the book to enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars is more fitting for a not so scary read, June 28 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Summer of Night (Hardcover)
This book of Simmons comes highly touted as one the greats in the horror genre. However, the only scary parts are found in midway through the 600 page novel. Once the story really gets descriptive about what's taking place in this small town, it becomes too unbelievable and unsatisfying. I do agree that the way Simmons writes (elogantly and almost poetically at times) makes this book a good read. However if you're looking for a book to scare the heck out of you look elsewhere. I would recommend Ketchum's older works, SK's Pet Semetary and the Shining, and Laymon's The Woods are Dark.

5.0 out of 5 stars True terror...., June 14 2004
ptiche (Birmingham, Al United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars First book that ever scared me!, June 9 2004
Nicholas May "Author of Maze of the Blue Rose" (Grand Rapids, Mi USA) - See all my reviews
I have just about every King, Koontz, Saul, Rice, Lumley, McCammon, and Barker book ever written. Ive also written a story or two of my own. This is the first story that ever scared me. Never before have I had to make sure none of my limbs were hanging over the edge of the bed while reading. There is one scene in particular, involving a blown fuse in a flooded basement, that had me completely creeped out.
When I read the jacket cover, I thought "I take it this guy read IT by Stephen King!". The description on the jacket cover is where the comparisons end. Similar ideas, but completely different paths. This is a great book, plain and simple.

5.0 out of 5 stars Summer of Night, May 20 2004
Mitch stokes (Belleville, IL United States Former Brimfield, IL) - See all my reviews
Summer of night is a great book. I read it about 10 years ago. The main reason I read it is because the author is from the same small town as I. This book is based on actual characters and town settings, just with the names tweaked a bit. But it was fun as a kid to read the book and go around town looking for the spots he was talking about, trying to reinact the same adventures.

5.0 out of 5 stars One scary summer in the '60's, May 7 2004
J. Fercho (Calgary, AB. Canada) - See all my reviews
If you were a child growing up in the 1960's this novel will certainly evoke strong memories of childhood summers filled with an innocence and freedom that has long since disappeared. If you are of an age to remember when you could leave your house in the morning and disappear for hours without concern, you will love this novel for the wonderful sense of nostalgia it will no doubt bring. The merit for this novel is not purely based on sentiment however; it is one fine horror story that hurtles the reader along at breakneck speed. Full of fine scares and boys we all knew as children, this novel does not disappoint. 4.5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I have ever read, April 14 2004
By A Customer
This stephen king type book has to be one of the the best book I have read. I had never read anything from Dan Simmons before Summer of night but now he has me hooked. 600 pages without a boring page. I never wanted to put this book down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Taps into our Universal Fears!!, March 26 2004
David Girod (Westminster, Maryland) - See all my reviews
I just finished this book last night and I can't recommend it highly enough. Dan Simmons taps into our universal childhood fears like few have done before. The "thing" under the bed, or the "monster" living in our bedroom closet, the pale face outside our window. There are some genuinely frightening moments in this novel. I have seen this book compared to "It" and "Boys Life", and I too feel it belongs in the same catagory as those fantastic novels. All I can say is that if you enjoyed either of those novels you will surely enjoy "Summer of Night". Do not read any reviews that give away plot points or try to summarize this eerie tale! Read it without any forwarning of what is to come, and let Simmons' carry you away into his nightmarish story.

ARRAY(0xae78c210)

Summer of Night
Summer of Night by Dan Simmons (Perfect Paperback - Feb. 11 1991)
Used & New from: CDN$ 13.91