4.0 out of 5 stars Clare, Clare, Clare...at last! ISOBEL!
Kingdom of Shadows weaves a tale of a modern woman with that of her ancestor, and it makes for interesting reading.
I enjoyed this book tremendously, but there is no doubt that Isobel, Countess of Buchan is the true heroine of the book. I found myself skimming through the modern story of Clare in anticipation of the tragic story of the wild Isobel.
There seems...
Published on Oct. 6 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars (3.5) Basic Erskine regression story
Published on July 19 2008 by Misfit

3.0 out of 5 stars (3.5) Basic Erskine regression story, July 19 2008
Misfit (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Kingdom of Shadows (Paperback)
Kingdom of Shadows is a parallel tale of Clare Royland in the 1980's and Isobel Buchan in Scotland at the time of Robert The Bruce in the latter 13th and early 14th century. Clare is married to stock broker Paul Royland who gambled with insider trading and lost and needs to sell Clare's Scottish Castle Duncairn to raise desperately needed funds. Unhappy in her marriage, Clare turns to yoga and meditation and she begins to see visions of the past as Isobel Buchan of Scotland relives her past through Clare.

The retelling of Isobel's life in Scotland, an unhappy marriage and her ultimate affair with Robert the Bruce and capture by Edward II and imprisonment in one of those infamous cages on the castle wall is interwoven with that of the present day Clare whose husband intrigues to have her proven insane so that he can lay claim to her property. Erskine does point out in her notes at the end of the book that Isobel, her crowning of Robert at Scone and capitivy are historical fact, but the affair with Robert is merely supposition by the author.

I did find the story entertaining enough and it kept me reading, but this is definitely not one of Erskine's best -- that would be Child of the Phoenix or Hiding from the Light. While I enjoyed the story set in the 13/14C, I really didn't particularly care for Isobel, she was a little too self centered for me and as for Clare -- likeable enough but bordering on TSTL for putting up with that pompous pig of a husband and not seeing him for what he really was. If you're an Erskine fan and can get your hands on a copy somewhat cheaply go for it, but don't go out of your way either. 3.5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clare, Clare, Clare...at last! ISOBEL!, Oct. 6 2002
This review is from: Kingdom of Shadows (Paperback)
There seems to be an irony in that Isobel - who belonged to a time when women were expected to do nothing more than enter a convent or marry and provide heirs - never stopped fighting to be free of her loveless marriage, while Clare - a 20th century woman who belongs to a time when women are much more empowered - submits meekly to her selfish husband (except for, of course, the issue of selling Duncairn).
Also, in the hero department, Isobel's lover, Robert of Carrick -later to become King of Scots - is much more likable than Clare's Neil. Both husbands (John Comyn - Lord Buchan - and Paul Royland) were despicable.
If only for the beautifully told story of Isobel of Fife, I recommend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, not as good as some other Erskine books., Feb. 4 2001
This review is from: Kingdom of Shadows (Paperback)
Brabara Erskine has great talent for description of places. I really felt as if I were at the castle of Duncairn, with its cold, damp winters and sunny, breezy springs.
The parts about Isobel, Countess of Buchan in the 14th century, were thrilling. I felt her terror as she was imprisoned and her sense of freedom while on horseback. Too bad she spent most of her time brooding over a man who never loved her as much as she loved him.
The modern-day parts about Claire, however, were not as good. Claire needed to GET A LIFE. The poor-little-rich-girl who casts herself as everybody's victim got tiresome for me.
If you're a Barbara Erskine fan you'll probably like this book. This is the fourth book of hers that I've read; "Midnight is a Lonely Place" was by far the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, April 19 2000
This review is from: Kingdom of Shadows (Paperback)
First I have to say that it was impossible to get hold of this book because it was out of print. One retailer made me wait for 7 month without any success. One day I ended up in a little bookstore called Shelly Leishman Books in Ottawa and the owner managed to get it for me within 2 weeks. Thank you.
Lady of Hay continues in Child of the Phoenix and Child of the Phoenix goes on in Kingdom of Shadows. Each book is independent of course. What a read. Obviously if people loved the first two books they will go after this one too. It was worth waiting 7.5 months to end up reading in within 2 days.
This book is a must read. I hope that Barbara Erskine will publish a new book soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kingdom Of Shadows One of Her best, Oct. 21 2001
This review is from: Kingdom of Shadows (Paperback)
I really got hooked on this book, great plot and well written.
I wasn't all that anxious to read the modern parts of the novel as I find with Barbara Erskine she tends to write excellent "past" stories but the "present" storyline aren't as interesting to read. However even the "present" storline in this book wasn't half bad. One of her best infact.
I just love how she can bring the characters and scenery to life and she does it very, very well in this novel as she did in Lady of Hay.
It seems this novel isn't easy to get, but I recommend you try because it's worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonder of a read!, Oct. 7 2000
This review is from: Kingdom of Shadows (Paperback)
This was the first Barbara Erskin book I read and since then have gone through everything she's written as quickly as I could. Her stories always sets the scene so clearly in my mind that I can't put it down for days! This would have to be my favourite book from Barbara Erskine, then it would be Child of the Phoenix and Lady of Hay. Someone wrote something about Diana Gababaldons book being just as wonderfull as this is and I have to agree 100%, also Virginia Andrews 'Heaven' series is a book to read if you want to get the same sort of quality in the writing and storyline.

5.0 out of 5 stars UNPUTDOWNABLE, June 10 2000
This review is from: Kingdom of Shadows (Paperback)
Found and bought this book for .99 cents and after reading the first couple of chapters knew I had a treasure in my hands. Her writing is so good you can get lost in her world and at times feel every detailed description. I did not want the end to come and when it did was left craving for more. I plan to get my hands on everthing she has written and hopefully it will be as good as this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kingdom of Shadows, May 27 2000
This review is from: Kingdom of Shadows (Paperback)
I loved this book. I bought it 10 years ago and have managed to get three copies. I have also read Lady of Hay (also a 5 star), Midnight is a Lonely Place and House of Echoes. Reading this book got me hooked on this type of storyline. If you liked this book, then read the Diana Gabaldon books.(My all time favorite books).

Kingdom of Shadows
Kingdom of Shadows by Barbara Erskine (Paperback - Aug. 3 1989)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01