4,268 Reviews
 (3,685)

5.0 out of 5 stars By Far, the Best Book I've ever read!
Published on Feb. 2 2003 by Soccergirl

Without a doubt my least favorite of the series. I got into Potter back when only the first three books were out, and quite some time before this book came out, and I was all psyched for it. Then I read it, all 700+ pages of it. While I found it engrossing, it certainly wasn't as good as AZKABAN.

Actually, Amazon ruined the book for me. I was online reading...
Published 19 months ago by Mike London

5.0 out of 5 stars By Far, the Best Book I've ever read!, Feb. 2 2003
Harry gets himself into yet more trouble as his name is drawn to compete against other schools of witchcraft and wizardry as a Hogwarts school Champion. He wishes he were just spectating the tournament, but someone put his name in the Goblet of Fire to get him in trouble! Strange things start happening, but Harry gets help from the new Defense Against the Arts Teacher Mad Eye Moody. Harry has taken a liking to Moody until he realizes the awful truth. In the fourth and final task of the tournament, Harry finds himself tied with Cedric Diggory, the only Seeker ever to beat Harry. He encounters Voldemort where Diggory is killed by the UNFORGIVABLE CURSE Avada Kedavra. Harry meets his parents and Voldemort takes away his only protection given to him by his mother that lead to the temporary downfall of the Dark Lord!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love you Harry Potter and love you JK Rowling for giving birth to Harry!, March 28 2014
The story begins with a murder committed far away from Hogwarts. Yes, this one is way darker than the first three Harry Potter books. JK Rowling has handled this superbly well. The children who must have been lapping up the books were also growing along with Harry Potter. The negative picture of the story has been introduced in stages. Excellent!

Harry goes to stay at the Weasleys home towards the end of the summer holidays. Harry, Ron and Hermione get the opportunity of a lifetime – to go to the Quidditch World Cup match along with Mr. Weasley, Percy, Fred, George and Ginny. The ground where the match is to take place is totally bewitched with more than a million witches and wizards from around the world coming together to watch the match. One has to read the sequence to understand the magnitude of the author’s imagination as she describes the scene. Then, there is the match itself with the veelas (introducing yet another batch of magical creatures in the form of beautiful women) and Leprechauns fighting it out (literally) on behalf of the players of their countries.

There is Barty Crouch from the ministry and Ludo Bagman who is supposed to be in charge of organizing the match - interesting characters that move the story along.

The Dark Mark is set off immediately after the match and the Death Eaters (Lord Voldemort’s followers) are rather excited. This brings about the question whether the evil Voldemort is coming back.

The fourth year begins at Hogwarts and this year, they get yet another defense against the dark arts teacher in the form of Professor Moody. Moody has the oddest appearance that one could have ever seen. Beautifully described! He wears a bright blue ball for one eye that rotates fast giving him a 360 degree view, even through Moody’s own head. This eye has given the professor the name Mad-eye Moody. While he does not hesitate to train the students in the forbidden curses, he is so far the best teacher they have had in the subject. Moody takes a liking to Harry and vice versa. But is he what he appears to be?

Then there is the Triwizard Tournament to take place between Hogwarts and two foreign magic schools – Durmstrang and Beauxbatons. Three champions – one from each school – are to compete in the tournament. Students who are interested in participating and are above the age of 17 are only allowed to put their names written on parchments into the Goblet of Fire. No one could cheat the age line drawn around the goblet by Dumbledore.

Fortunately or unfortunately, someone has added Harry’s name (he is underage) to the goblet. The magical goblet chooses four champions – Viktor Krum from Durmstrang; Fleur Delacour from Beauxbatons; Cedric Diggory from Hogwarts and Harry Potter from Hogwarts. Ron is quite cut up with Harry as he believes that Harry has used special magic to add his name to the fire.

While the delegations from the other schools are not happy to have two champions from Hogwarts, Dumbledore is worried about Harry’s participation in the tournament. But, Harry has no choice as he is magically bound to do it as his name was thrown out of the Goblet of Fire.

Adventures galore involving dragons, mer-people and a dark maze follow. The tournament leads to the climax that is as amazing as it is incredible. One has to read it to believe it. I remember reading the last few chapters a few times before I could fully absorb that Lord Voldemort was finally back.

Priori Incantatem was simply amazing! You have to read the book to check it out for yourself. I read, breathed, woke up and slept magic for weeks together on reading this book the first time. The ninth time was no different, believe me.

Absolutely fascinating! While one part of your mind might feel that Harry is too young to face such things in life, the logical follow up of events convince you that he is the perfect hero.

Love you Harry Potter and love you JK Rowling for giving birth to Harry!

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, Feb. 18 2014
Such a light and absorbing read filled with so much suspense, action, surprise and heart warming plot twists. Everything you'd hope it to be and more

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter as usual, Nov. 29 2013
The Harry Potter books are great, what can I say? This one had a particularly good twist at the end.

4.0 out of 5 stars harry potter, July 6 2013
I bought this book for my daughter to read. She said she liked it. All my orders took too long to get here

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Series, April 4 2013
K. Sheppard - See all my reviews
I loved the Potter series. It is worth reading even if you have seen the movies. It gives you more insight into the charaters and also includes thoughts, ideas and extras that were not in the movies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Used copy, Jan. 29 2013
This is to replace a copy that I had given away. I was more than pleased with the condition and the promptness of it's arrival. The book was in better condition than the one I had previously owned. The story itself is, without saying, wonderful as are all of the Potter series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: Someone Comes Back, Sept. 28 2012
Scoopriches (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Hardcover)
J.K. follows up her first mature story with a bit of a departure to the past. One last shout-out to a young child's story, but at over 700 pages, she stretches this jaunt to previous elements somewhat too long. Thankfully the beginning and ending harkens us back to the edgier Potter we get for the rest of the series. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling is another transition book.

To start with, what did not thrill me. The games of the Triwizard tournament really do not hold my interest that much, or at all. While she does an admirable job of expanding the wizarding universe and make the magic more sensible and workable, the actual tournament just strikes me as another plot device to facilitate her "Year In The Life" structure. So often a new challenge would pop up, and my interests would wane and wait for the real story to kick into high gear. Another idea started, and thankfully ending here, is Ron being a compete dolt. For those Potterheads about to argue here, Hallows was a different reason because Ron was noticeably under the influence. His character turn to jerk comes out of nowhere and is only resolved when he realizes Harry is yet again in mortal danger. Yes, I know Ron has an inferiority complex, but hating your best friend simply because you believe life sucks is not how the Weasleys raised him.

As for what worked in Goblet? The very beginning, with the horrors of the history of the Riddle house, has all the hallmarks of J.K. hitting her stride. The absolute gothic despair mixed with urban legends and topped by exotic folklore all fill the pages with dread. It just feels like a stew of evil was always boiling in Tom Riddle's life, and we see further along in this series, the roots of this goes even further. We move from this onto our characters merrily journeying to the Quidditch World Cup and having an absolute blast. Seeing the sights, enjoying the tastes of the world they are being exposed to, and experiencing Quidditch played on a massive scale, are all wondrous times to remember forever. And then J.K. does the unthinkable and daring. She plunges us headfirst into a full fledged terrorist attack. For no rhyme or reason, Death Eaters disrupt the festivities, and cause immense emotional and physical damage. Just because. Any illusions that a war is in the offing are shattered by these opening salvos. And this utter destruction is just the beginning. By the end of Goblet we face the inevitable.

For Voldemort is back. In the grand theatrical style that this fake Lord often employs, the entire rigging of every aspect of the Triwizard tournament was all to bring himself back to form. The sheer terror of this resurrection, followed by Voldemort's bullying of Harry, speaks volumes of the villainy represented. He wants to humiliate and demoralize Harry before he destroys him. This extremely powerful wizard still feels the need to tarnish a young boy in order to bolster a damaged ego. Anyone who hates bullies cringes at this part. This was harsh to read.

With Voldemort now back and Harry preparing for war, the next leg of this journey is about to commence. Winning the hearts and minds of his allies. We embark on the dark path again. Time for some Order.

Scoopriches

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, great condition, Sept. 24 2012
This review is from: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Hardcover)
A wonderful book, continues the story of Harry Potter as he attends Hogwarts. J. K. Rowling steps up the realism in this fantasy book as she tackles competition, friendship and Harry's continuing struggle to meet the expectations of those around him as he tries to set his own views of who he is.

3.0 out of 5 stars My least favorite of the Potter novels. The plothole killed it for me., October 17, 2007, Sept. 1 2012
Mike London "MAC" (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Hardcover)

Actually, Amazon ruined the book for me. I was online reading reviews here after I finished the book (this was back in 2000), and one of the reviews pointed out the plothole that why didn't Mad Eye Moody just make a portkey out of anything, rather than make Harry go through all the trouble with the Triwizard Tournament, and I really didn't have any answer to that. So after I finished the book, I didn't read it again for seven years, because this plothole took out the whole point of the book.

When I reread all six books in preparation for DEATHLY HALLOWS this summer (which I finished them all with a week to spare before Hallow's release date), I picked this up again. It had been a long time since I read it, and the plothole always turned me off so much whenever I did reread the Potter books I never could bring myself to read this one.

Going through it a second time, in context with the rest of the series, this is definitely when Potter got into darker territory. But Potter was always dark anyway, and while this is always thought of as the turning point in the series as far as darkness goes, AZKABAN is pretty dark too.

Potter has been enrolled in the Triwizard Tournament, a dangerous tournament that you must be 17 to enter. Potter is entered without his consent, and much too young. Ultimately the three events they must go thru are dangerous and at the end of the third we see Voldemort's plot unmasked.

As far as the plot hole, I've read several different theories on why Voldemort's agent wouldn't have used the portkey before then. One possible explanation, which I wish Rowling would have used, was you can't use portkey within the grounds of Hogwarts, but under this especial circumstance the use of portkeys was allowed at the end of the tournament. Another issue is Barty Crouch Jr. He must truly want to serve Voldemort to do what he did. Still, it would be a lot of work to drink polyjuice potion every hour for a school year straight.

We get the first real death in the series (at least, a character we have come to know and not offscreen or backstory deaths). Poignant, but the death appears more to be included so she can move the series into darker territory than any natural artistic progression.

There are some great scenes in this one, especially the Quidditch World Cup, and introduction of other international schools (a thing we have not yet seen - so far we only know of magic in Britain). Rowling also clearly lays more foundation to Ron and Hermione as a couple, a plotline that would not find full resolution until Book 7. Still, those who always thought Harry and Hermione should end up together, read this book more closely. It's pretty obvious from Book 4 on Ron and Hermione would end up together. There's a lot of sexual tension in the air between those two. Harry, on the other hand, is quite up in the air at this point, though we know in Book 7 who he ends up with.

While it is my least favorite of the Potter books, it's still an entertaining read. This is clearly the book where Rowling moves beyond children as a primary audience and bringing more complexity and maturity to the series, which is the reason why as the books progress they are more adult oriented than the early volumes.

Still, I find myself in the minority. I know a lot of people who love GOBLET. There are certainly some great scenes and memorable passages throughout the book. I just wish Rowling would have fixed the plothole better (and it wouldn't be that hard to fix).

These are my order of Potter books by preference:
Deathly Hallows
Prisoner of Azkaban
Order of the Phoenix
Philosopher's Stone/Chamber of Secrets (I rank them both the same)
Half-Blood Prince
Goblet of Fire.

ARRAY(0xc13c11e0)

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling (Hardcover - July 8 2000)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.52