Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Furniture Kindle Music Deals Store Cycling Tools minions

on August 13, 2015
I knew it was used but I was not aware that a little bit of use ment to was a library book!
on April 29, 2015
Delivered on time and as promised
on April 16, 2015
SET COMPLETE for my granddaughter
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
My Review: If I was stranded on a deserted island and could only choose one book series it would be Harry Potter - hands down. For people who know me, that's not all that shocking. I fly my Potter geek flag high. I adore it and love the fact that Rowling jump started me back into reading back when my kids were small and I thought I had no energy to read. Her writing is addictive to read and she has the art of bringing her readers into her magical world seamlessly. I've read the entire series several times and enjoyed all of the movies too.

For those of you who have only watched the movies? You're missing out. Sure they were amazing but some of the smaller plots were left on the cutting room floor - namely Peeves and the Headless Hunt to name just two in The Chamber of Secrets. This unabridged e-audiobook version was the perfect way for me to get reacquainted with Potter while walking on the treadmill or driving to work. The narrator also did a fantastic job with accents and inflections of these highly popular characters.

As usual this second book in the HP series is filled a wonderfully magical feel with vibrant and infamous characters. We have the usual cast of characters as well as the addition on Gilderoy Lockhart who brings some humour with his fascination with ... himself. I also enjoyed that we get a glimpse into the past of one of Harry's friends and how s/he influenced the Chamber of Secrets. Overall, the characters themselves are well-rounded and as you progress through the series (and even within each book) you see their development as they struggle with normal tween/teen angst and a whole lot of extra Dark Lord worries t'boot.

While this book was my least favourite book in the series I still think it's a great read that pulls readers into Rowling's magical world where she vividly tells her story with humour, suspense and heart. Readers get a better look at the link between Harry and Voldemort and we see the relationship between Harry and his friends strengthen after the horrible treatment he received from his Aunt and Uncle as well as new new issues at Hogwarts this year.

Whether you're 9 or 99 years old, if you're into fantastic world building, characters that come to life, stories about the strength of friendship, the courage to stand up for what is right, the enduring love of a mother and the fact that family is made up of not just blood but also by bonds of friendship then you've got to pick up this series. No matter what age you are, I'm certain you'll enjoy Harry's world. Just make sure you read them in order!

Highly recommended.

My Rating: 5/5 stars
**This book review can also be found on my blog, The Baking Bookworm (www.thebakingbookworm.blogspot.ca) where I share hundreds of book reviews and my favourite recipes. **
on March 17, 2015
I liked it because Harry Potter was so magical and brave to go against Voldemort in the chamber of secrets
on December 18, 2014
Cover:
I do like this cover, even though I find the flying car slightly weird.

Writing:
(1/5) I think this book's plot and content was sound, but it was ruined by the writing. I'm guessing, like the movie, it was supposed to be mysterious and full of suspense, but the writing was horrible and really didn't covey that. Where it was supposed to come off as creepy, I only felt it was laughable. There were so many pivotal moments and revelations ruined because of the poor writing. I think the movie did it way better, probably because it didn't have the poor writing. The second Harry Potter movie is probably my favourite out of all the movies.

Setting:
(5/5) Man I love Hogwarts. We learned a lot of new interesting ideas and stuff about the wizarding world like duelling. I also really loved the parselmouth and diary ideas. I know the book wasn't that great because of the writing, but the movie version was great. I don't why people underrate it so much.

Plot:
(5/5) I think this book's plot was actually better than the first book. For the first time in this series, I felt Harry actually had something at stake here. He was snooping and getting to the bottom of things because doing so actually meant something to him. Hogwarts was at stake and it was his home more than the Dursleys ever were. Next to Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, I felt this one had one of the best plots of the series. Too bad the bad writing was such a heavy blow though.

Main Character:
(1.5/5) Like I said above, I really like the parselmouth idea and that Harry had something personally at stake here. But Harry is still as flat and personality-less as ever.

Villain:
(5/5) Really liked the villain with this one, might be my favourite. Which is a shame with what happened to him later on, if you know what I mean. He became such a laughable and poor excuse of a character.

I actually wished at some point that the villain for the series was a recent graduate of Hogwarts, making the series truly about Hogwarts. The last three books were centered around Voldemort being the villain, which is why they fell flat. What do you expect though, when you center books around such a piece of cardboard of a character? You know, J.K. Rowling developed Harry Potter into such a wonderful series. I really wish though, that she took the time to develop what this series was actually about - Harry and Voldemort. Let's not kid ourselves, these two are flat-tastic characters and frankly I've seen better heroes and villains.

Other Characters: (4.5/5)
Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger: These two are fine in this book. I didn't mind them, though I suspect part of the reason is because Hermione was out of commission.

Dumbledore: Aah Dumbledore, I love Dumbledore. He's really the heart and conscience of this series.

Hagrid: I love Hagrid! Such a sweet character! I think he's underrated and if you look at each of the books, he actually plays an extremely important part. He probably plays the most importance in this one. Surprising, because this was supposed to be a mysterious and suspenseful sort of book. A huge reason I love the movie version of Chamber of Secrets is because of the ending that was given to Hagrid. I tear up after every time I watch that. I miss Chris Columbus, he was such a great director that really appreciated this series.

Severus Snape: Snape's barely in it, but awesome as usual.

Dobby: Ah, Dobby. I hate Dobby. He's such an annoying character. I feel he never really stops being a slave. He just finds someone new to serve.

Gilderoy Lockhart: I admit Lockhart was funny, but he's such a forgettable character. I always forget that he was a Harry Potter character.

Overall:
(22/30) I don't really blame people for not liking this book, the writing was really bad. I actually recommend the movie version instead, it was probably the best movie of the franchise. Despite that, I really feel that Harry Potter and Chamber of Secrets had a really good plot, probably the best next to Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, if not even better.
on October 5, 2013
The book itself was in decent condition but the dust cover was ruined, torn and water damaged. Not like described by the poster.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon May 28, 2013
I read this book aloud to my children. It was won a number of literary awards, including: 2008 Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Children's Literature, 1999 British Book Award, 1999 Smarties Prize, and 1999 Booklist Editors' Choice.

At the start of the book, 12 year-old Harry is eagerly awaiting his return for his second year at Hogwarts. The Dursleys are hosting an important dinner for Mr. Dursley’s boss and his wife, Mr. and Mrs. Mason, and Harry is supposed to remain out of sight so as not to embarrass them. Upon his return to his room, he finds a strange elf named Dobby who has come to warn Harry not to return to Hogwarts. When Harry finds out that Dobby has been stealing the letters from Ron and Hermione meant for Harry, he is furious. Dobby makes trouble for Harry and uses magic to send Mrs. Dursley’s dessert crashing to the floor and a furious Mr. Dursley forbids Harry from ever returning to Hogwarts. He installs iron grates over the window and takes away his magic books and wand and locks them up in the cupboard under the stairs. Poor Harry! Good thing that Ron and his twin brothers steal their father’s magical car and use it to tear the grate from the window and rescue Harry!

Harry stays with the Weasleys until school starts, and Dobby tries to prevent Harry from getting aboard the Hogwarts train by sealing the magical passageway to Platform Nine and Three-Quarters. The quick-thinking boys use Mr. Weasley’s car again to get to Hogwarts, although not without consequences!

The newness of Hogwarts still hasn’t rubbed off for me. I found it just as magical as the first book in the series, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone. In this installment, we are introduced to the new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, Gilderoy Lockhart. The women all swoon over this man, who has authored many books that recount his magical escapades. The book is a bit darker than the series debut, and Harry keeps hearing a chilling voice who whispers murderous words. Victims are becoming petrified, essentially turning into statues, and it seems to have to do with a Chamber of Secrets that was opened many years before. The key lies in a mysterious book that falls into Harry’s possession, which was owned by a Hogwarts student named Tom Riddle.

My kids and I absolutely loved this book! It was filled with so much excitement, and it was the highlight of our day to read this at bedtime each night. Even at such a young age, it is easy to see that Harry is becoming a very powerful wizard. I love the whole “good versus evil” tone that Rowling has created.

As was with the first one, I love how Rowling ends off the book with such a touching scene between Dumbledore and Harry. Dumbledore always offers Harry sage insight and treats him with such warmth and love, and I couldn’t help getting misty-eyed.
on April 4, 2013
I loved the Potter series. It is worth reading even if you have seen the movies. It gives you more insight into the charaters and also includes thoughts, ideas and extras that were not in the movies.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 28, 2012
With one wand, I give J.K. a lot of credit, she upped the ante quite abit here. With the other wand, I have to declare this was my least favourite of the seven.

So begins my disjointed look at Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling, the second book in the series. The one that I read that J.K. had some of the most stress over, worried it would not work another time. It does, but with some catches.

J.K. takes a big risk here by bringing the terror of racial lynching to our characters lives. For most books, just bringing up the topic by having a vile person spout slurs would be considered daring, with a dash of after school special morals thrown in to make it all better by the end. This does not happen here. The viciousness of the topic is brought up and permeates the entire book, and it's stench sticks around right to the bitter end of the series. No pat resolution is offered. And combined with the uncertain terror of these racial attacks, which are designed to kill, J.K. is telling her audience the awful truth. Hatred exists, no matter what special abilities you possess, nor how rich you are, this virulent strain of nastiness can infect anyone.

To push the issue further, J.K. subtly slides into the story the concept of slavery. Dobby's antics as an enslaved house elf are sometimes played with light comedic outcomes, but his self-torture because of perceived disobedience is heartbreaking. The hows and whys of the house elf's history is never explained but only partially referred to, but their power to topple their unjust wizard owners is obvious. But they stay subjugated. Of the uncounted multitudes of house elf's shown throughout the series, only one, our friend Dobby, is happy with being liberated. Despite Hermione's efforts later in the series, this reality does not change. No easy answer for this problem.

The final good part that really stuck to me was not revealed till the end. The alienation of Ginny from all those around her, unnoticed by everyone, becomes a major point at the conclusion. A first year student, with plenty of older siblings, all in her house, but she is still so alone. A magical diary talking back to her, giving her a much needed soothing, is very much the equivalent of caring strangers on the internet. Ginny seeks solace where she can find it. And that is sad.

As for the bitter medicine of criticism I must now dispense, it relates to how J.K. has to shape the plot. With every book she has to find ways to extend the story to fit over the course of a year. Results here are mixed, but the majority of the time her ideas work and work very well. In this instance, she concocts a ridiculous plan to trick information out of Draco by using Polyjuice potion. The plan is over the top in bad Ocean's 12 style, and when Hermione states the potion takes a month to ferment, my eyes rolled. A convenient way to allow time to pass by. My one sore spot in an otherwise glorious series.

Now that Harry, Hermione, and Ron have saved the day again, the stage is all set for a more mature tale to inhabit the series. With age comes more danger and intrigue and family history to explore. And Hagrid getting a well deserved promotion.

Scoopriches