5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely riveting, unparalleled success
Published on June 21 2006 by Daniel Jolley

Without a doubt my least favorite of the series. I got into Potter back when only the first three books were out, and quite some time before this book came out, and I was all psyched for it. Then I read it, all 700+ pages of it. While I found it engrossing, it certainly wasn't as good as AZKABAN.

Actually, Amazon ruined the book for me. I was online reading...
Published on Sept. 1 2012 by Mike London

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely riveting, unparalleled success, June 21 2006
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
It is quite hard to believe just how good Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is; the first three books, all of which impressed me deeply, seem almost forgettable compared to this intense fourth entry in the series. This is as rich a reading experience as you will find, no matter what your age. The storyline as it exists at the end of this mammoth epic has more of a hold on me now, as an adult, than the Star Wars saga had on me as a kid, which is saying a great deal, I assure you. One barely knows where to start one's praises of this book; yes, it does have both dark overtones and undertones to it, yet it also boasts some of the funniest moments of the series. We learn a great deal more about the major characters and turn our attention to new attractions such as the unique new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor, Mad-Eye Moody. Events in magical circles outside of Hogwarts increase the landscape of Rowling's magical world many times over as we are given insight into the workings of the Ministry of Magic, are treated to the best seat in the house at the Quidditch World Cup championship, and are introduced to two wholly new magical schools in foreign locations. The pattern one might have come to expect of Harry's fourth year at Hogwarts is thrown immediately out of the window; there are no school Quidditch matches this year, nor is there even an inter-house cup competition. Instead, Professor Dumbledore makes the extraordinary announcement that the Triwizard Tournament has not only been reinstituted after many years, it will take place at Hogwarts. Only sixth- and seventh-year students are eligible to compete, seeming to leave Harry Potter quite out of the mix, which is fine by him. A Goblet of Fire decides which of the volunteers from each school will compete as its Champion, but this quite impartial judge surprises everyone by selecting a certain familiar, fourth year student for the competition. What follows is a roller coaster ride of a year, with Harry enduring more trials and troubles than ever before: his friendship with Ron threatens to end forever, he faces incredibly difficult tasks that may or may not serve as a means by which someone can kill him, a thoroughly sleazy tabloid reporter makes his and his friends' lives all but unbearable on a number of occasions, and he faces perhaps his biggest challenge of all: having to ask a girl to accompany him to the Yule Ball. Oh, a certain arch enemy also rears his ugly head once again.

This is a large book, obviously; it gets off to something of a slow start, taking 171 pages just to get Harry to Hogwarts to start the new year. Have no fear, though, because the novel then sucks you in so deeply that you may be unable to get out of it, should you even want to. The length of the book quickly becomes a comfort to you, as you will not want this book to ever end. End it shall, however, with an incredibly intense final 125 pages that will leave you gasping for breath, roiling in shock, and surging with adrenaline. Anyone unable to understand why untold millions of addicted fans have been climbing the walls for three years waiting for Book 5 have simply not read this book. Events of quite drastic proportions have been set in motion now, and the end of Harry's fourth year at Hogwarts holds little resolution to it. There are dark days ahead and a significant number of plot points appear on the horizon. Harry, Hermione, and Ron are growing up, with normal teenaged issues already beginning to manifest themselves, Hogwarts is in something of a tizzy over the culminating events of the completed school year, and the whole world of magic shows every sign of being in utter disarray. The world of Harry Potter has never been more intense, exciting, and portentous as it is at the end of this unbelievably good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars By Far, the Best Book I've ever read!, Feb. 2 2003
Harry gets himself into yet more trouble as his name is drawn to compete against other schools of witchcraft and wizardry as a Hogwarts school Champion. He wishes he were just spectating the tournament, but someone put his name in the Goblet of Fire to get him in trouble! Strange things start happening, but Harry gets help from the new Defense Against the Arts Teacher Mad Eye Moody. Harry has taken a liking to Moody until he realizes the awful truth. In the fourth and final task of the tournament, Harry finds himself tied with Cedric Diggory, the only Seeker ever to beat Harry. He encounters Voldemort where Diggory is killed by the UNFORGIVABLE CURSE Avada Kedavra. Harry meets his parents and Voldemort takes away his only protection given to him by his mother that lead to the temporary downfall of the Dark Lord!

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: Someone Comes Back, Sept. 28 2012
Scoopriches (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
J.K. follows up her first mature story with a bit of a departure to the past. One last shout-out to a young child's story, but at over 700 pages, she stretches this jaunt to previous elements somewhat too long. Thankfully the beginning and ending harkens us back to the edgier Potter we get for the rest of the series. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling is another transition book.

To start with, what did not thrill me. The games of the Triwizard tournament really do not hold my interest that much, or at all. While she does an admirable job of expanding the wizarding universe and make the magic more sensible and workable, the actual tournament just strikes me as another plot device to facilitate her "Year In The Life" structure. So often a new challenge would pop up, and my interests would wane and wait for the real story to kick into high gear. Another idea started, and thankfully ending here, is Ron being a compete dolt. For those Potterheads about to argue here, Hallows was a different reason because Ron was noticeably under the influence. His character turn to jerk comes out of nowhere and is only resolved when he realizes Harry is yet again in mortal danger. Yes, I know Ron has an inferiority complex, but hating your best friend simply because you believe life sucks is not how the Weasleys raised him.

As for what worked in Goblet? The very beginning, with the horrors of the history of the Riddle house, has all the hallmarks of J.K. hitting her stride. The absolute gothic despair mixed with urban legends and topped by exotic folklore all fill the pages with dread. It just feels like a stew of evil was always boiling in Tom Riddle's life, and we see further along in this series, the roots of this goes even further. We move from this onto our characters merrily journeying to the Quidditch World Cup and having an absolute blast. Seeing the sights, enjoying the tastes of the world they are being exposed to, and experiencing Quidditch played on a massive scale, are all wondrous times to remember forever. And then J.K. does the unthinkable and daring. She plunges us headfirst into a full fledged terrorist attack. For no rhyme or reason, Death Eaters disrupt the festivities, and cause immense emotional and physical damage. Just because. Any illusions that a war is in the offing are shattered by these opening salvos. And this utter destruction is just the beginning. By the end of Goblet we face the inevitable.

For Voldemort is back. In the grand theatrical style that this fake Lord often employs, the entire rigging of every aspect of the Triwizard tournament was all to bring himself back to form. The sheer terror of this resurrection, followed by Voldemort's bullying of Harry, speaks volumes of the villainy represented. He wants to humiliate and demoralize Harry before he destroys him. This extremely powerful wizard still feels the need to tarnish a young boy in order to bolster a damaged ego. Anyone who hates bullies cringes at this part. This was harsh to read.

With Voldemort now back and Harry preparing for war, the next leg of this journey is about to commence. Winning the hearts and minds of his allies. We embark on the dark path again. Time for some Order.

Scoopriches

3.0 out of 5 stars My least favorite of the Potter novels. The plothole killed it for me., October 17, 2007, Sept. 1 2012
Mike London "MAC" (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Actually, Amazon ruined the book for me. I was online reading reviews here after I finished the book (this was back in 2000), and one of the reviews pointed out the plothole that why didn't Mad Eye Moody just make a portkey out of anything, rather than make Harry go through all the trouble with the Triwizard Tournament, and I really didn't have any answer to that. So after I finished the book, I didn't read it again for seven years, because this plothole took out the whole point of the book.

When I reread all six books in preparation for DEATHLY HALLOWS this summer (which I finished them all with a week to spare before Hallow's release date), I picked this up again. It had been a long time since I read it, and the plothole always turned me off so much whenever I did reread the Potter books I never could bring myself to read this one.

Going through it a second time, in context with the rest of the series, this is definitely when Potter got into darker territory. But Potter was always dark anyway, and while this is always thought of as the turning point in the series as far as darkness goes, AZKABAN is pretty dark too.

Potter has been enrolled in the Triwizard Tournament, a dangerous tournament that you must be 17 to enter. Potter is entered without his consent, and much too young. Ultimately the three events they must go thru are dangerous and at the end of the third we see Voldemort's plot unmasked.

As far as the plot hole, I've read several different theories on why Voldemort's agent wouldn't have used the portkey before then. One possible explanation, which I wish Rowling would have used, was you can't use portkey within the grounds of Hogwarts, but under this especial circumstance the use of portkeys was allowed at the end of the tournament. Another issue is Barty Crouch Jr. He must truly want to serve Voldemort to do what he did. Still, it would be a lot of work to drink polyjuice potion every hour for a school year straight.

We get the first real death in the series (at least, a character we have come to know and not offscreen or backstory deaths). Poignant, but the death appears more to be included so she can move the series into darker territory than any natural artistic progression.

There are some great scenes in this one, especially the Quidditch World Cup, and introduction of other international schools (a thing we have not yet seen - so far we only know of magic in Britain). Rowling also clearly lays more foundation to Ron and Hermione as a couple, a plotline that would not find full resolution until Book 7. Still, those who always thought Harry and Hermione should end up together, read this book more closely. It's pretty obvious from Book 4 on Ron and Hermione would end up together. There's a lot of sexual tension in the air between those two. Harry, on the other hand, is quite up in the air at this point, though we know in Book 7 who he ends up with.

While it is my least favorite of the Potter books, it's still an entertaining read. This is clearly the book where Rowling moves beyond children as a primary audience and bringing more complexity and maturity to the series, which is the reason why as the books progress they are more adult oriented than the early volumes.

Still, I find myself in the minority. I know a lot of people who love GOBLET. There are certainly some great scenes and memorable passages throughout the book. I just wish Rowling would have fixed the plothole better (and it wouldn't be that hard to fix).

These are my order of Potter books by preference:
Deathly Hallows
Prisoner of Azkaban
Order of the Phoenix
Philosopher's Stone/Chamber of Secrets (I rank them both the same)
Half-Blood Prince
Goblet of Fire.

5.0 out of 5 stars The central pillar of the Harry Potter saga, Dec 20 2011
Omnes - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
While rereading the books ten years ago, I did some research on the popularity of the Harry Potter series around the world. I then found many translations of the books, different books covers, and many book descriptions for each volume. While looking at the french edition of the fourth Harry Potter book, I read a notice at the back that said that Goblet of Fire was the central pillar of the Harry Potter books. This statment intrigued me at first, considering that the series wasn't even completed at the time. But when I thought about it a couple of months ago, I felt that the editor was absolutely right.

For this book makes us understand many things about the world J K Rowling has revealed to us: One, that Voldemort's actions not only involve him, but instead thousands, even millions, of followers waiting for his return or hoping that someone will carry on his political torch. Two, that wizards' prejudices are deep-rooted into their culture; and that they involve not only muggles, but other magical creatures which could be important allies for both sides of the battle (Voldemort or Harry/Dumbledore's side). Three, we also get to see how a wizard's fame starts to tire him as the press and even the public only see that in him and not what he really is: a young man trying to live a life while bearing incredible responsibilities. Four, this book makes us understand how actions are more efficient than words/promises thrown in the open air.

Of course most of these aspects have been more or less present in all the books. But I felt that it is in this book that the wizard world's idyllic images start to wear off as a horrible darkness approaches in the horizon, and that it is this book that many characters' actions will have dramatic consequences in this book's ending, but in the last volumes of this incredible series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very famous book, March 6 2006
L.N. (Vancouver) - See all my reviews
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

The author of this series is J.K. Rowling, a very famous women author. Rowling wrote the beginning of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone on some pieces of scrap paper at a local café. She now lives in Edinburgh with her daughter. The book Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is the kind of book that's full of magic and power .If you've read the first, second, and third book of the series, then you probably will want to read the fourth book There are six books in the series. Order goes like this: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and the latest one that just came out, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
I'll talk a bit about the main characters in this book. The main characters are Harry, Hermione and Ronald (Ron). Harry is very brave and daring because of the competitions. Hermione is very smart and always puts up her hand in class. Ron is terrified of spiders (like me) and he's not too good at doing spells, but he is still a good student. All three of them are good students.

My favourite part of the fourth book is when Dumbledore picks out the contestants of the Triwizard Tournament (a very famous wizard competition) from the Goblet of Fire because everyone was excited about who was going to compete in the dangerous competitions. Unfortunately, Harry was too young to compete, but mysteriously, someone put his name in the Goblet of Fire and it got picked out so he has to compete, too! Not everyone was too pleased about the news that there were going to be two Hogwarts competitors, but Dumbledore said that whoever's name comes out of the Goblet must compete .I really like this part because everyone feels excited and tense about who's name will be picked out from the Goblet of Fire ( including me!)
Now, I'll talk a bit about the spells that are used in the series. There are three Unforgivable Curses. If you use those on other people, you will be given a life sentence in Azkaban, the wizard prison. One is the Imperius Curse. If someone uses it on you, the result is that they will have control over you. They can tell you to lie, jump out the window, or even commit suicide! Another one is the Cruciatus Curse. If you get hit by that spell, you will suffer such pain that it'll make you scream! The last and worst illegal curse is the killing curse, Avada Kedavra. If you get hit by that spell, you will die immediately without a mark anywhere on your body! I really like this explanation from one of the professors who explained about the spells because he explained it in very good detail about how serious it is if someone gets caught doing it or if you got hit by it. Very dangerous!!
When the author, J.K. Rowling, is talking about how Harry is concentrating to try and get the golden egg from the dragon, the author is actually trying to tell the reader that if you concentrate enough to do something, you will succeed in doing so if you keep on believing that you can do it. I think she is trying to say that because Harry knew that everyone is looking at him and he's famous so he knew he can't fail or else everyone will laugh at him.
I'll say that the Harry Potter series will be for anyone above 8 years of age in case there are words that the reader doesn't know the meaning of. The Harry Potter books have some pretty complicated words in them. If you read some of the Harry Potter books, then you should watch the movies. They're just as good, except it's more realistic. I hope that someday you will get to read the whole Harry Potter series. I give the Harry Potter books the ranking of 5 stars out of 5. I give it that ranking because that's my favourite series that I've ever read. My brother, Andy, first got the idea of the Harry Potter series from a friend of his. Andy read first, then I read next, and then my little sister, Sunny, read the series. Andy decided to see which Harry Potter movies came out yet.
I think the Harry Potter stories are very adventurous, magical, and exciting. I think it's very adventurous because have you ever seen anyone fly on a broomstick in real life? No, right? So that's what makes so adventurous, no one in real life has ever done it before. It's definitely very magical because of all the spells the story contains. It's so exciting because will Harry succeed in completing the competitions? Well, that's for you to find out! You will stay up late to finish the whole entire series (if you have the books)!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very famous book, March 6 2006
L.N. (Vancouver) - See all my reviews
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

2.0 out of 5 stars In favour of Harry, Aug. 18 2003
It is odd how a chance comment on a radio talk show can spark off a train of thought one had long since parked in a siding. So my interest in HP revived when I heard in discussion of children's books the old saw that, " 'Grimm's Fairy Tales' are for children, but some of them are too scary for children" (and, ergo, best avoided, thus leaving no-one to read them). But Harry's adventures are very obviously a modern day fairy tale, seemingly, he did not belong in this Grimm category. This is a curious blindspot, and I did wonder what lay under this attitude. Personally, I hope in due course J.K. Rowling will receive a well-deserved official honour from the government for services to the UK Exchequer (is being made a 'Dame' is equivalent to a 'Sir'?), and she has my warm praise for boosting childhood reading habits, but the literary questions are something else.
In Grimm most of the stories really strike home. They deliver justice and come-uppance to bullies, snobs, liars, the greedy, and the self-obsessed. They bestow good endings on the good--rather like Potter's tales. The few dull tales amongst them are either disjointed or too slight, they leave you asking, 'And your point is?'--rather like Potter's tales. So the discerning parent, if worried about the few scary stories in Grimm, will merely avoid reading those few out to the child who is too young for them (Grimm's tales are meant to be spoken, as they are a written record of oral tales, whereas HP is silent reading). And if the child is old enough and bold enough to seek out and read Grimm's Tales independently, then they probably are old enough! But does this tell us what the real 'value system' difference is between the worlds of Grimm and Harry?
Harry gets into some murky matters in this book. As promised, the Dark Mark (see chap.9), rises a little stronger as each book is enconjured (q.v., 'learn a Summoning Charm', p.149). However, there is the properly natural magic of 'a hundred Veela...gliding out onto the pitch', casting their near-irresistible cheerleading spell of loveliness on the guys. Then there is that wickedly accurate parody of British journalism, Rita Skeeter of the 'Daily Prophet' (they do like to think they foretell as opposed to just tell), with a Coleopteran sting in the tail. But in fact the overall effect of Voldemort and Co. on the tone of the story is much more maleficent than anything in the venerable Grimm. Even a minor character like Peeves the poltergeist tends to out-grim the traditional tales. ('Peeves the poltergeist, a little man in a bell-covered hat and orange bow-tie, his wide, malicious face contorted with concentration took aim again...Peeves stuck out his tongue...cackling insanely' (p.152-3)). So the wise parent may want to know what it is that really drives these adventures.
It is no plot spoiler, as everyone knows by now, to say that there is a death in this book (and it was extensively trailed before release), and of course Grimm's tales, the daily news on TV, and everyday life contain deaths too. The issue is how you handle it in the literature or chosen medium. The death in the Goblet of Fire does not really matter, it is a bit like terminating a crash test dummy. Paradoxically this is the worrying thing: there is no real tragedy in it. We are not made to care about this character before this book in the series came out, and we do not build up any feeling for or against the character during the book. This is the key flaw. We are meant to care about 'the good': the fact that they do not have a good ending is the essence of tragedy. But in this book the Dark is more real, more dynamic, and more exciting than the Good. In fact, the 'good' in this book really tend to mere neutrality, a secular silhouette of goodness. It explains why the magic is so trumpery. Grimm's tales are of course shot through with a real spiritual strength and life (with many a miracle, but no churches, vicars, bibles, or angels), essentially being of medieval European Christian stock. Had I space we could consider the same way that 'Arabian Nights' are from Islamic stock of AD800. So it is the empowering and guiding worldview that is the real difference between Grimm's tales and Potter's, and it is the underlying reason why some would tend to neglect them in favour of Harry. The preference is probably instinctive as much as conscious. But we must ask ourselves what the real test is, which will endure, which will succeed in the long run--bearing in mind Grimm's headstart, which, being long earned, we cannot discount?

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, June 19 2003
According to me this book , HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE is the best in Harry Potter series(first 4 books) . In the part 'Flesh , Blood and Bone' and 'The Death Eaters' , you will get a shock which will be more powerful than any you had received in any of the books . This is nothing else but the return of the Dark Lord - VOLDERMORT .I love the part 'The Death Eaters'.
Rowling deserves a great round of applause for the climax of the story . She ends it in such a way that you will keep waiting for the 5th book .What will keep u waiting is ur interest to know how will magical world change with the return of Lord Voldermort .
If u have read this one , book ur next one because its going to be real fun .One minute past midnight ,on 21st June 2003 , when HARRY POTTER and the ORDER OF THE PHOENIX goes onsale , there will Potter Parties all over the world with bottles of butterbeer , chocolate frogs and bertie bott's every flavourbeens . Children will ask their parents to let them sleep in the cupboard under the stairs with their pyjamas on .
I have just one thing to say , if you haven't read THE HARRY POTTER SERIES , you ARE missing something .

5.0 out of 5 stars It depends on your personal taste of course..., June 18 2003
A reader (over the rainbow) - See all my reviews
...but I can't see how you can't like this. It's not bad...
The story is about a normal boy with glasses, green eyes, prblems that are both normal and unusual, and a scar...As Harry grows older, so are the readers expected to. It is no longer only read by children (as if it ever was), but can also be apreciated by teens, as the caracters are now 14.
In the earlier books, some of the action was about succeeding in breaking rools. It appears to be considered cool, doing so at Hogwarts
- although I can only see Fred and George thinking so, really. People are sometimes mad that Harry & Co have no respect for authority figures.
This is an important issue. The thing is, seeing it through kids eyes here, the only authoroty person who repects them in return is the headmaster.
Professor McGonnagal doesn't believe them about the stone in the first book. I suppose it's understandable, but so is The gang's lack of trust in adults.
How can you respect people like Snape? Or Filch? Or the defense against the dark arts teacher, who changes from book to book. There is only one time so far that the teacher has been a good one, but he turned out to be a werewolf.
The wizard world is also afflicted with a corrupt ministry. And look at Harry's past! No doubt, he is mad at the people who put him with those awful relatives. These books weren't written to teach children not to listen to adults. They are not trying to teach anybody anything, they are trying to tell a story...The series grow darker for each book. Book one is lighthearted, only letting darker parts hint a bit here and there. Book two is a bit worse, and the final chapters are more intense. Book three uncovers the truth of his parents past friends, and he finds out how Harry's parents really died. The ending is not as happy as it should be.
And this thing I was supposed to review, the fourth book...What we thought would never happen, it happens here. First, J. K leads us readers into a false sense of security, of thinking this is just an unusually exiting childrens series. And then she strikes us with this book, containing: A student death (he was in the way), the dark lords return, a satanic rite and some nice bit of torturing...Lots of darkness is introduced in this book, hence it's size. Parents should be warned.
As other reviewers thinking it's poisoning our christian minds, we're not all christians. Yes, the story involves magic. And let's face it. This is Fantasy...If there's magic, usually there are certain elements of dark magic...She sort of made sure no-one believed Harry at the end, remember?
And yes, S.P.E.W also had it's reasons. It made us find out Dobby worked there. After the fiends reunited, Dobby gave Harry socks for chrismas. Professor Moody saw those socks. Dobby was able to help Harry whith the second task after that, and the meeting with the house elves also re-introduced Winky. So, yes, it did help proceed the plot.
I agree that it was a bit obvious that Harry was to be picked a champion, but a good writer can get away with almost anything. Rowling writes it masterfully in my opinion, adding bad effects to go with it, such as the whole fight with Ron...Put all predudice about these books aside, and enjoy them. That's mainly what I am trying to say to you here.
I mean, Come on! They are popular for a reason, after all...

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Adult Paperback
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Adult Paperback by J.K. Rowling (Paperback - Jan. 18 2011)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.99