4.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps best suited to those new to past life regression
Published on Dec 17 2011 by Laura De Giorgio

3.0 out of 5 stars Some thoughts
I gave it 3 stars because its a compelling read, although I am highly skeptical of the Dr.'s conclusions.
Published on March 9 2004 by Michael C. Fitzgerald

3.0 out of 5 stars Some thoughts, March 9 2004
Michael C. Fitzgerald (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
1) Catherine had a previous life in 1800 BC. World population in that time was 40 million. World population at the time of her treatments was 4.4 billion. If every soul in existence in 1800 BC continued to live on till till the writing of the book, those souls would comprise less than 1% of the world population. Dr. Weiss stresses that Catherines past lives were not remarkable (she was a servant not a queen etc.). But the fact she is such an 'old soul' is statistically highly improbable.
2) People in 1800 BC didnt refer to themselves as living in BC, as they had no ability to foretell the AD times
3) Dr. Weiss hits pretty hard wis his own special abilities as a highly intelligent man in this past and throughout history. Is this book really just a self love screed?

4.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps best suited to those new to past life regression, Dec 17 2011
Laura De Giorgio "hypnotherapist" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Many Lives, Many Masters is easy and entertaining to read. In this book, Dr. Weiss, describes the past life explorations of a patient he referred to as Catherine. Catherine suffered from a wide-range of fears and after unsuccessful treatment using his standard psychiatric techniques, Dr. Weiss decided to experiment with hypnotherapy and ask Catherine to return to the time when the problems originated. The entire book goes back and forth over Catherine's various lifetimes - she apparently had 86 lifetimes, but only several seemed significant for helping Catherine deal with issues she was facing at a time when she visited Dr. Weiss.

At times in this book Dr. Weiss sounded as if he were trying to convince either himself or the readers of the validity of experiences presented in this book. From therapeutic standpoint though, while historical details of past life regressions may be debatable, past life regression is considered one of many useful tools in hypnotherapy for clearing inner obstacles and perplexing issues. And in this book, through this lengthy process of exploring Catherine's different experiences, not only did her current fears clear spontaneously, but some spiritual powers started to emerge.

Apart from Catherine's account of her experiences, in the interlude between her lives, other spiritual beings to whom Dr. Weiss refers to as "masters" would come true and offer tidbits of spiritual wisdom. Some of the wisdom came from Catherine's higher level of awareness, like:

"We all have abilities far beyond what we use. Some of us find this out sooner than others."

"You should check your vices. If you do not, you carry them over with you to another life. Only we can rid ourselves of the bad habits that we accumulate we we are in the physical state. ... And only when you decide that you are strong enough to master the external problems, then you no longer have them in your next life."

"Some of us possess greater powers than others, because they have been accrued from other times ... People are born with talents, abilities, and powers accrued fro other lifetimes."

"We choose when we will come into our physical state and when we will leave. We know when we have accomplished what we were sent down here to accomplish. We know when the time is up, and you will accept your death for you know that you can get nothing more out of this lifetime. When you have time, when you have had the time to rest, and re-energize your soul, you are allowed to choose your re-entry back into the physical state."

"People who are in comas ... are in a state of suspension. They are not ready yet to cross into the other plane ... until they have decided whether they want to cross or not. Only they can decide this. If they feel they have no more learning in physical state, then they are allowed to cross over. But if they have more learning, then they must come back, even if they do not want to. That is a rest period for them, a time when their mental powers can rest."

"Everybody's path is basically the same. We all must learn certain attitudes while we're in physical state. Some of us are quicker to accept them than others. Charity, hope, faith, love ... we must all know these things and know them well."

"You will be guided in time. When you accomplish what you have been sent here to accomplish, then your life will be ended. But not before then."

"You must eradicate fears from your minds. It is a waste of energy when fear is present. It stifles you from fulfilling what you were sent to fulfill."

"Learning in the spiritual state is much faster, far accelerated from that in the physical state. But we choose what we need to learn. If we need to come back to work through a relationship, we come back. If we are finished with that, we go on. In spiritual form you can always contact those that are in physical state if you choose to. But only if there is importance there ... if you have to tell them something that they must know."

"Coexistence and harmony ... Everything must be balanced. Nature is balanced. The beasts live in harmony. Humans have not learned to do that. They continue to destroy themselves. There is no harmony, no plan to what they do. It's so different in nature. Nature is balanced. Nature is energy and life ... and restoration. And humans just destroy . They destroy nature. They destroy other humans. They will eventually destroy themselves."

"We have debts that must be paid. If we have not paid out these debts, then we must take them into another life ... in order that they may be worked through. You progress by paying your debts. Some souls progress faster than others. "

"You can renew yourself through light ... through light. You must be very relaxed so you no longer are expending energy, but you are renewing yours."

And while this book explores lives of one person, the book like Mind Probe Hypnosis by Irene Hickman explores cases of many different people, and other books like Journey of Souls, explore life between lives, and is also very interesting to read.

1.0 out of 5 stars An easy swallow for the Gullible, March 3 2002
W. Shang (New York) - See all my reviews
I am a physician and a pathologist. Let me say right off the bat, an academic physician and any respectable physician making an unusual observation for the first time calls their colleague in for their opinion. The behavior of Dr. Weiss does not reflect academic objectivity. He distrusts the judgment of his colleagues and writes in the popular lay press where his observations and interpretations are not subject to peer review.
I have read the comments of reviewers mentioning the "B.C." problem and the problem of Netherlands geography. Here are some more unmentioned:
Most people who lived in the past, lived extremely provincial lives. They did not travel, or even know where in the world they lived. The village and the one beyond the next hill was all they knew. How is it the people in these past lives knew their geographic location, what language they spoke?
Here's another. In several passages, Catherine relates the foul smell of furs and the surroundings. People become accustom to their surroundings. Those who backpack for several days become accustom to their own body odor.
Yet another: page 111: "Osiris . . . Sirus . . . something like that" Please, did a person living in Egypt speak the name of the god just as we would thousands of years later?
Here's another: page 117: "What kind of plane do you fly?" "Some kind of chopper plane. It has four propellers. It's a fixed wing." The Germans flew very few four engine planes. It would have been a very easy matter to pinpoint who this was with a few more questions. The FW 200 Condor, Junkers Ju 290, Heinkel He 277, to my knowledge are the only four propellors planes in the Second World War German Air Force probably numbering less than several hundred produced and only several dozen flying at any one time. The term "fixed wing" did not come about until after World War II.
I won't go into the loss of pleasant near death experiences with some medications but wish to separate the process of observation from interpretation. Let us assume for the sake of discussion, Dr. Weiss and his patient(s) are not attempting to delude the reader. Does Dr. Weiss posit other plausible explanations? Does the absence of a readily available explanation for an observed phenomenon immediately call for the supposition of the paranormal?
An academic physician publishing their findings in a journal always has a discussion section proposing various competing theories, how their findings support or do not support previous investigations and how and why they reached their conclusions. For someone who has "published" in this style, this is for me the most curious absence of critical interpretation.
Medical and scientific community are not the closed-minded unwilling to accept alternative theories - fundamentalists are. (The Helicobacter pylori discovery story comes immediately to mind.) I have come across many dogmatic professionals who have cloaked their uncompromising slanted views with their professional credentials. What concerns me the most from reading the reviews is the number of people who read testimonials such as "Many Lives" without the benefit of a critical mind. For those who really wish to explore reincarnation and other paranormal phenomenon, I would suggest going to the home page of "The Committee for the Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal"...

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining But Questionable, Dec 23 2003
Donn Weinberg (Owings Mills, MD USA) - See all my reviews
Why did she provide a B.C. year when asked what year it was? (Living at that time, one would not know that it was before the common year "1"). How did she know her own eye color when asked to look at and describe herself while "inside" herself in a past life? These are just two of the questions that arose in my mind when reading the book, and the author never even recognized the issues on his own. I have serious doubts about the author's claim that before doing prenatal regressions on patients, he lacked belief in paranormal or supernatural phenomena. In addition, it seems likely that "Catherine" is a composite character, not a single individual. The book has a very serious credibility gap. Notwithstanding all that, the book is very entertaining, as perhaps some form of reincarnation is possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Many Lives..............Many Masters........., May 17 2004
If You dont believe in Rebirth,Reincarnation or Past Lives Please do read this book.
This book is written by a Psychiatrist who never belived in these things because of his scientific mind & till he started tretment of his client Catherine through Hypnosis.
His client was feared of water,Closed places & many more things.After treating her for 18 month as psychiatrist he decided to use hypnotism & tried to look for cause of her symptoms in her childhood traumas.
He regresses her till year 2 but still dont finds anything useful.Then He Gives her suggestion "Go back to the time from which your symptoms arise" & this one sentence changed both their lifes,Catherine goes back to her past lives.
Book is very intresting.First, author tries to deny that this is case of past lives.Then cattherine tells him some of his very personal things & authors eyes opens.
You will find answers to questions like why some people fear Water,Fire,Closed places etc etc.
It also cotains messeges from masters who channel catherine to teach author many things about life principles.
Some times you will feel a little bored but still it worth reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Many Lifes, Many Masters, But Few Answers., April 2 2004
By A Customer
In this book Dr. Brian Weiss deals with reincarnation. I have been interested in this subject for years and have been looking for something to provide the some kind of evidence. In this book the author gives us descriptions of past lives that he happened upon accidentally through one of his patients, who was suffering from phobias that he regressed. He attempts to explain that our lives are schools of sorts where our souls learn their lessons. In the words of Goober, "DaaaHaa". All of that was previously explained by Cayce, Roberts, Bailey, ..... The list goes on .... This book left me asking the question "Where does the learning process for our soul begin? And why?"
I have found a book that I feel has headed me towards the path to discovering these answers. The book is called, "The Book of Thomas," by Daniel Aber and Gabreael . This book is composed of RAW channeled material.I have not seen work of this magnitude since Edgar Cayce's work came out many moons ago. In this book the authors discuss in detail the beginning of the soul, charting our lives paths, the different levels of heaven and so on. I enjoyed it so much I read it twice and gave it to my mother to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars We are together, to the end of time., March 4 2004
OAKSHAMAN "oakshaman" (Algoma, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This is the third time that I've read this book over the years, and no doubt it will not be the last.
Just because this is a book on reincarnation, and past life regression, many people dismiss it a simple-minded, new age, drivel. I know that I almost did. That would have been an arrogant mistake, and a stupid loss, on my part. Take a look at the author's credentials: a Phi Beta Kappa, Magna cum Laude graduate of Columbia; a M.D. from the Yale University School of Medicine; Chief of Psychiatry at a major hospital; over 37 papers and book chapters published in his field, a recognized expert on brain chemistry. In short, this man wasn't jeopardizing his career to make a quick buck. It pretty well shook his world to the foundations when he discovered that reincarnation and the evolution of the soul were reality. As he points out, until they personally experience the reality of the existence and survival of the soul then most people simply will not, cannot, accept it. Then, once they do accept it, then they find that there are literally libraries full of legitimate research that confirms it all.
The main text of the book reads more like a novel than a scientific or spiritual work. The main case that shattered the doctor's previous beliefs is unfolded in exactly the way that it happened to him. The past life hypnotic regression of the subject is recounted practically word for word - including the words of the Masters.
What struck me was the agreement of everything that came from the Masters (sages at the highest plane spiritual evolution) with the perennial wisdom teachings that stretch back through all human history and all traditional cultures. It is all there: the fact that we are here primarily to learn and grow; that we are to learn to see the that spark of God in both others and ourselves; that only God may take a life; the importance of harmony, balance, and simplicity; to do good for the sake of good alone- with no expectation of reward; and of course the survival of the soul and the cycle of rebirth and spiritual evolution. Indeed without the latter, human existence would hardly make sense.
It all sounds simple, but you only really gain such wisdom by slowly applying and living it- by turning the theoretical into the internalized. This is what you take with you, and what you bring back with you on your next cycle of birth and death- the eternal wisdom that you have welded eternally to your soul by actually living it.

5.0 out of 5 stars We are together, to the end of time., March 3 2004
OAKSHAMAN "oakshaman" (Algoma, WI United States) - See all my reviews
Just because this is a book on reincarnation, and past life regression, many people dismiss it a simple-minded, new age, drivel. I know that I almost did. That would have been an arrogant mistake, and a stupid loss, on my part. Take a look at the author's credentials: a Phi Beta Kappa, magna cum laude graduate of Columbia; a M.D. from the Yale University School of Medicine; Chief of Psychiatry at a major hospital; over 37 papers and book chapters published in his field; a recognized expert on brain chemistry. In short, this man wasn't jeopardizing his career to make a quick buck. It pretty well shook his world to the foundations when he discovered that reincarnation and the evolution of the soul were reality. As he points out, until they personally experience the reality of the existence and survival of the soul then most people simply will not, cannot, accept it. Then, once you do accept it, then you find that there are literally libraries full of legitimate research that confirms it all.
What struck me was the agreement of everything that came from the Masters (sages at the highest plane of spiritual evolution) with the perennial wisdom teachings that stretch back through all human history and all traditional cultures. It is all there: the fact that we are here primarily to learn and grow; that we are to learn to see that spark of God in both others and ourselves; that only God may take a life; the importance of harmony, balance, and simplicity; to do good for the sake of good alone- with no expectation of reward; and of course the survival of the soul and the cycle of rebirth and spiritual evolution. Indeed without the latter, human existence would hardly make sense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, Feb. 25 2004
TheHighlander (Richfield, PA United States) - See all my reviews
Book: Many Lives, Many Masters
Writer: Brian Weiss
Format: Paperback
Length: 219 pages
Rating: ***** (5 stars, outstanding)
What an interesting book! Brian Weiss is an M.D. and chief of psychiatry at a hospital. He is well educated and has an outstanding career. He and his wife are happily married although they have experienced some personal tragedy in their family. When into his life walks a reluctant patient.
Through hypnosis Dr. Weiss uncovers previous lives of this patient, Catherine, who is struggling with some issues in her life. The book is basically a transcript of what happened and what was said throughout Catherine's treatment and it is very interesting.
Even if you don't believe in reincarnation the book puts forth legitimate issues and thought processes. It tries to explain that we should be patient, we should not kill, we should follow the commandments of the major religions. The book enforces the belief in a God, no matter what you call it. Energy, soul, spirit, God, the Master, it is all the same with different names.
I picked up this book and could not put it down, I read it in two evenings. It is an easy read but also a very engrossing read. I book that puts forth many ideas. The facts that we are destroying nature and ecosystems and it could lead to our demise.
It reinforces the belief that life continues after death for our soul, our energy but it takes it even farther to offer "proof" for the thought process of our souls living many lives. There will be folks that will tear it down and say that it is not proof (technically it is not) but it is interesting to consider. It offers more food for thought.
Bottom line, no matter which side of the reincarnation debate you fall on I think you should read this book. For information, for knowledge either for your argument for or to be prepared for your argument against. No matter how you slice it, this is a great book, a book that should be read by anyone, from teens on up. For the knowledge, the thought process, or the denial of it all. Read it, enjoy it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting, but..., Nov. 12 2003
Keith "kc31824" (STAMFORD, CT, United States) - See all my reviews
This is such a beautiful book. It gives hope and comfort. The takeaway is simple: "I'm a scientist trained in scientific method, I truly believe that past lives are confirmed by this set of experiences, therefore its now okay to believe in this."
The takeaways from the book are not unlike the takeaways from eastern philosophies/religions, including Hinduism, Buddhism, etc. I found myself very moved while reading it and desparately wanting to believe.
Problems started arising for me afterwards though. First, to believe should truly be life changing, so its not just a "nice idea, let me add it to my repetoire" kind of book.
So based on that, second, as Carl Sagan says, "extraordinary claims requir extraordinary proof." In this, the author falls short.
For instance, he claims his subject started becoming psychic. I am genuiunely eager to belive his claims in the book, but if his subject were psychic there are objective scientifically controlled tests he can put her through to demonstrate this and conclusively prove to a skeptical audience his claims. The anecdotal evidence of hearsay about picking winners at the track is quite a letdown from a supposed scientifically trained author.
Had the author not made such bold assertions about his scientific credentials to be making these claims, this wouldn't really be an issue. Leaps of faith are everywhere in these belief systems. But since he claims to be using scientific method and trying to appeal to those of us that want to go on more than just blind faith, he ultimately disappoints.
Beautifully written and inspiring, but this is no more scientific than the Bhagavad Gita, and the conclusions are roughly similar.