4.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps best suited to those new to past life regression
Published on Dec 17 2011 by Laura De Giorgio

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining But Questionable
Published on Dec 23 2003 by Donn Weinberg

4.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps best suited to those new to past life regression, Dec 17 2011
Laura De Giorgio "hypnotherapist" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Many Lives, Many Masters is easy and entertaining to read. In this book, Dr. Weiss, describes the past life explorations of a patient he referred to as Catherine. Catherine suffered from a wide-range of fears and after unsuccessful treatment using his standard psychiatric techniques, Dr. Weiss decided to experiment with hypnotherapy and ask Catherine to return to the time when the problems originated. The entire book goes back and forth over Catherine's various lifetimes - she apparently had 86 lifetimes, but only several seemed significant for helping Catherine deal with issues she was facing at a time when she visited Dr. Weiss.

At times in this book Dr. Weiss sounded as if he were trying to convince either himself or the readers of the validity of experiences presented in this book. From therapeutic standpoint though, while historical details of past life regressions may be debatable, past life regression is considered one of many useful tools in hypnotherapy for clearing inner obstacles and perplexing issues. And in this book, through this lengthy process of exploring Catherine's different experiences, not only did her current fears clear spontaneously, but some spiritual powers started to emerge.

Apart from Catherine's account of her experiences, in the interlude between her lives, other spiritual beings to whom Dr. Weiss refers to as "masters" would come true and offer tidbits of spiritual wisdom. Some of the wisdom came from Catherine's higher level of awareness, like:

"We all have abilities far beyond what we use. Some of us find this out sooner than others."

"You should check your vices. If you do not, you carry them over with you to another life. Only we can rid ourselves of the bad habits that we accumulate we we are in the physical state. ... And only when you decide that you are strong enough to master the external problems, then you no longer have them in your next life."

"Some of us possess greater powers than others, because they have been accrued from other times ... People are born with talents, abilities, and powers accrued fro other lifetimes."

"We choose when we will come into our physical state and when we will leave. We know when we have accomplished what we were sent down here to accomplish. We know when the time is up, and you will accept your death for you know that you can get nothing more out of this lifetime. When you have time, when you have had the time to rest, and re-energize your soul, you are allowed to choose your re-entry back into the physical state."

"People who are in comas ... are in a state of suspension. They are not ready yet to cross into the other plane ... until they have decided whether they want to cross or not. Only they can decide this. If they feel they have no more learning in physical state, then they are allowed to cross over. But if they have more learning, then they must come back, even if they do not want to. That is a rest period for them, a time when their mental powers can rest."

"Everybody's path is basically the same. We all must learn certain attitudes while we're in physical state. Some of us are quicker to accept them than others. Charity, hope, faith, love ... we must all know these things and know them well."

"You will be guided in time. When you accomplish what you have been sent here to accomplish, then your life will be ended. But not before then."

"You must eradicate fears from your minds. It is a waste of energy when fear is present. It stifles you from fulfilling what you were sent to fulfill."

"Learning in the spiritual state is much faster, far accelerated from that in the physical state. But we choose what we need to learn. If we need to come back to work through a relationship, we come back. If we are finished with that, we go on. In spiritual form you can always contact those that are in physical state if you choose to. But only if there is importance there ... if you have to tell them something that they must know."

"Coexistence and harmony ... Everything must be balanced. Nature is balanced. The beasts live in harmony. Humans have not learned to do that. They continue to destroy themselves. There is no harmony, no plan to what they do. It's so different in nature. Nature is balanced. Nature is energy and life ... and restoration. And humans just destroy . They destroy nature. They destroy other humans. They will eventually destroy themselves."

"We have debts that must be paid. If we have not paid out these debts, then we must take them into another life ... in order that they may be worked through. You progress by paying your debts. Some souls progress faster than others. "

"You can renew yourself through light ... through light. You must be very relaxed so you no longer are expending energy, but you are renewing yours."

And while this book explores lives of one person, the book like Mind Probe Hypnosis by Irene Hickman explores cases of many different people, and other books like Journey of Souls, explore life between lives, and is also very interesting to read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining But Questionable, Dec 23 2003
Donn Weinberg (Owings Mills, MD USA) - See all my reviews
Why did she provide a B.C. year when asked what year it was? (Living at that time, one would not know that it was before the common year "1"). How did she know her own eye color when asked to look at and describe herself while "inside" herself in a past life? These are just two of the questions that arose in my mind when reading the book, and the author never even recognized the issues on his own. I have serious doubts about the author's claim that before doing prenatal regressions on patients, he lacked belief in paranormal or supernatural phenomena. In addition, it seems likely that "Catherine" is a composite character, not a single individual. The book has a very serious credibility gap. Notwithstanding all that, the book is very entertaining, as perhaps some form of reincarnation is possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars A BOOK I WON'T EVER FORGET!!!!, May 21 2010
Louise Jolly "Bookaholic" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This was a phenomenal book! I'm sure I'm not alone in wondering what happens after we die. Is there another life in some other place, are we reincarnated, or is everything we've each believed in and been taught a big hoax and there is nothing after this life?

Dr. Weiss's book takes you through the 'true story' of his hypno-therapy sessions with a 35-year-old women named Catherine. Catherine was having a lot of difficulties in her life, was unhappy and had many fears and phobias.

During her many months of hypno-therapy with Dr. Weiss, Catherine began remembering MANY past lives, 86 to be exact although only about 35 were covered in this book. I was so taken in that I read this book in one sitting, I could not put the book down, it pulled me in right from the beginning.

It's not filled with a lot of medical jargon that us layman can't understand, but simple every day English and in very straight forward terms. To learn of the past lives of this woman was amazing and so much detail was given that you almost can't NOT believe, however that is for each of us to decide.

What I've learned from this book has given me a great deal of food for thought and has dramatically changed my outlook on life and death. This is a book I'll never forget reading and one that I will encourage all who I come in contact with to read. Once you're done you can make your decision as to whether you believe it or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Many Lives..............Many Masters........., May 17 2004
If You dont believe in Rebirth,Reincarnation or Past Lives Please do read this book.
This book is written by a Psychiatrist who never belived in these things because of his scientific mind & till he started tretment of his client Catherine through Hypnosis.
His client was feared of water,Closed places & many more things.After treating her for 18 month as psychiatrist he decided to use hypnotism & tried to look for cause of her symptoms in her childhood traumas.
He regresses her till year 2 but still dont finds anything useful.Then He Gives her suggestion "Go back to the time from which your symptoms arise" & this one sentence changed both their lifes,Catherine goes back to her past lives.
Book is very intresting.First, author tries to deny that this is case of past lives.Then cattherine tells him some of his very personal things & authors eyes opens.
You will find answers to questions like why some people fear Water,Fire,Closed places etc etc.
It also cotains messeges from masters who channel catherine to teach author many things about life principles.
Some times you will feel a little bored but still it worth reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Many Lifes, Many Masters, But Few Answers., April 2 2004
By A Customer
In this book Dr. Brian Weiss deals with reincarnation. I have been interested in this subject for years and have been looking for something to provide the some kind of evidence. In this book the author gives us descriptions of past lives that he happened upon accidentally through one of his patients, who was suffering from phobias that he regressed. He attempts to explain that our lives are schools of sorts where our souls learn their lessons. In the words of Goober, "DaaaHaa". All of that was previously explained by Cayce, Roberts, Bailey, ..... The list goes on .... This book left me asking the question "Where does the learning process for our soul begin? And why?"
I have found a book that I feel has headed me towards the path to discovering these answers. The book is called, "The Book of Thomas," by Daniel Aber and Gabreael . This book is composed of RAW channeled material.I have not seen work of this magnitude since Edgar Cayce's work came out many moons ago. In this book the authors discuss in detail the beginning of the soul, charting our lives paths, the different levels of heaven and so on. I enjoyed it so much I read it twice and gave it to my mother to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars We are together, to the end of time., March 4 2004
OAKSHAMAN "oakshaman" (Algoma, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This is the third time that I've read this book over the years, and no doubt it will not be the last.
Just because this is a book on reincarnation, and past life regression, many people dismiss it a simple-minded, new age, drivel. I know that I almost did. That would have been an arrogant mistake, and a stupid loss, on my part. Take a look at the author's credentials: a Phi Beta Kappa, Magna cum Laude graduate of Columbia; a M.D. from the Yale University School of Medicine; Chief of Psychiatry at a major hospital; over 37 papers and book chapters published in his field, a recognized expert on brain chemistry. In short, this man wasn't jeopardizing his career to make a quick buck. It pretty well shook his world to the foundations when he discovered that reincarnation and the evolution of the soul were reality. As he points out, until they personally experience the reality of the existence and survival of the soul then most people simply will not, cannot, accept it. Then, once they do accept it, then they find that there are literally libraries full of legitimate research that confirms it all.
The main text of the book reads more like a novel than a scientific or spiritual work. The main case that shattered the doctor's previous beliefs is unfolded in exactly the way that it happened to him. The past life hypnotic regression of the subject is recounted practically word for word - including the words of the Masters.
What struck me was the agreement of everything that came from the Masters (sages at the highest plane spiritual evolution) with the perennial wisdom teachings that stretch back through all human history and all traditional cultures. It is all there: the fact that we are here primarily to learn and grow; that we are to learn to see the that spark of God in both others and ourselves; that only God may take a life; the importance of harmony, balance, and simplicity; to do good for the sake of good alone- with no expectation of reward; and of course the survival of the soul and the cycle of rebirth and spiritual evolution. Indeed without the latter, human existence would hardly make sense.
It all sounds simple, but you only really gain such wisdom by slowly applying and living it- by turning the theoretical into the internalized. This is what you take with you, and what you bring back with you on your next cycle of birth and death- the eternal wisdom that you have welded eternally to your soul by actually living it.

5.0 out of 5 stars We are together, to the end of time., March 3 2004
OAKSHAMAN "oakshaman" (Algoma, WI United States) - See all my reviews
Just because this is a book on reincarnation, and past life regression, many people dismiss it a simple-minded, new age, drivel. I know that I almost did. That would have been an arrogant mistake, and a stupid loss, on my part. Take a look at the author's credentials: a Phi Beta Kappa, magna cum laude graduate of Columbia; a M.D. from the Yale University School of Medicine; Chief of Psychiatry at a major hospital; over 37 papers and book chapters published in his field; a recognized expert on brain chemistry. In short, this man wasn't jeopardizing his career to make a quick buck. It pretty well shook his world to the foundations when he discovered that reincarnation and the evolution of the soul were reality. As he points out, until they personally experience the reality of the existence and survival of the soul then most people simply will not, cannot, accept it. Then, once you do accept it, then you find that there are literally libraries full of legitimate research that confirms it all.
What struck me was the agreement of everything that came from the Masters (sages at the highest plane of spiritual evolution) with the perennial wisdom teachings that stretch back through all human history and all traditional cultures. It is all there: the fact that we are here primarily to learn and grow; that we are to learn to see that spark of God in both others and ourselves; that only God may take a life; the importance of harmony, balance, and simplicity; to do good for the sake of good alone- with no expectation of reward; and of course the survival of the soul and the cycle of rebirth and spiritual evolution. Indeed without the latter, human existence would hardly make sense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, Feb. 25 2004
TheHighlander (Richfield, PA United States) - See all my reviews
Book: Many Lives, Many Masters
Writer: Brian Weiss
Format: Paperback
Length: 219 pages
Rating: ***** (5 stars, outstanding)
What an interesting book! Brian Weiss is an M.D. and chief of psychiatry at a hospital. He is well educated and has an outstanding career. He and his wife are happily married although they have experienced some personal tragedy in their family. When into his life walks a reluctant patient.
Through hypnosis Dr. Weiss uncovers previous lives of this patient, Catherine, who is struggling with some issues in her life. The book is basically a transcript of what happened and what was said throughout Catherine's treatment and it is very interesting.
Even if you don't believe in reincarnation the book puts forth legitimate issues and thought processes. It tries to explain that we should be patient, we should not kill, we should follow the commandments of the major religions. The book enforces the belief in a God, no matter what you call it. Energy, soul, spirit, God, the Master, it is all the same with different names.
I picked up this book and could not put it down, I read it in two evenings. It is an easy read but also a very engrossing read. I book that puts forth many ideas. The facts that we are destroying nature and ecosystems and it could lead to our demise.
It reinforces the belief that life continues after death for our soul, our energy but it takes it even farther to offer "proof" for the thought process of our souls living many lives. There will be folks that will tear it down and say that it is not proof (technically it is not) but it is interesting to consider. It offers more food for thought.
Bottom line, no matter which side of the reincarnation debate you fall on I think you should read this book. For information, for knowledge either for your argument for or to be prepared for your argument against. No matter how you slice it, this is a great book, a book that should be read by anyone, from teens on up. For the knowledge, the thought process, or the denial of it all. Read it, enjoy it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting, but..., Nov. 12 2003
kc "kc31824" (STAMFORD, CT, United States) - See all my reviews
This is such a beautiful book. It gives hope and comfort. The takeaway is simple: "I'm a scientist trained in scientific method, I truly believe that past lives are confirmed by this set of experiences, therefore its now okay to believe in this."
The takeaways from the book are not unlike the takeaways from eastern philosophies/religions, including Hinduism, Buddhism, etc. I found myself very moved while reading it and desparately wanting to believe.
Problems started arising for me afterwards though. First, to believe should truly be life changing, so its not just a "nice idea, let me add it to my repetoire" kind of book.
So based on that, second, as Carl Sagan says, "extraordinary claims requir extraordinary proof." In this, the author falls short.
For instance, he claims his subject started becoming psychic. I am genuiunely eager to belive his claims in the book, but if his subject were psychic there are objective scientifically controlled tests he can put her through to demonstrate this and conclusively prove to a skeptical audience his claims. The anecdotal evidence of hearsay about picking winners at the track is quite a letdown from a supposed scientifically trained author.
Had the author not made such bold assertions about his scientific credentials to be making these claims, this wouldn't really be an issue. Leaps of faith are everywhere in these belief systems. But since he claims to be using scientific method and trying to appeal to those of us that want to go on more than just blind faith, he ultimately disappoints.
Beautifully written and inspiring, but this is no more scientific than the Bhagavad Gita, and the conclusions are roughly similar.

2.0 out of 5 stars Few Truths and lots of Gullibility, June 24 2003
Weiss is a Doctor practicing at the most fragile interface of being- where the emotional, mental, and psycho-spiritual meet. While it is refreshing to find a doctor prepared to deal forthrightly with an area of paranormal experience common to many, this book causes grave concern.
Firstly, it is disconcerting to find him gushingly enthusiastic to the detriment of objectivity. We see this P54-7 where his amazed reaction to mediumistically delivered information on his son, Adam's death, leads him to unquestioningly accept this comes from a benevolently inspired "Master". He never considers the possibility that these communications which interrupt the hypnotic sessions with his patient may have undesirable origins, which any medium will warn of. Thenceforth, whenever one of his therapy sessions is interrupted in this manner from an extraneous source he assumes each different voice to be a different "master" speaking (see p 121-2, 139-40, P159-60 for more pretentious and fatuous comments presented by the "Masters", or p185 where a further facile communication interrupts the session). But Weiss uncritically accepts these interrupting communications as "..to talk with the 'gods' and to share their wisdom. We were eating from the Tree of Knowledge, no longer forbidden" p162.
The second concern about this book arises from the impression that at times the patient is used as a medium for the therapist's purpose, while he is waiting for words from the "Masters". Is it OK that a therapist sidetracks from the process of therapy into pursuing his own metaphysical interests? I think not! In addition to this ethical question, there is also the issue of possible dangers to the patient by allowing (even encouraging) them to become the vehicle for mediumistic communication.
As an account of therapy under hypnosis the book fails to satisfy. The hypnotic sessions are unstructured and any healing is a directionless byproduct of the session, rather than resulting from the therapist's guidance. For example the "cure" of the patient's fear of swallowing arises by the patient breaking the course of the session to bring it up and deal with it herself. And as a contribution to the influence possible former incarnations may have on this life, forget it! The book's real interest lies in depicting one man's uncritical infatuation with mediumistic advice from supposed "Masters".