5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Unforgetable Book!!!
The Most Unforgettable Book!!!
Published on Sept. 28 2002 by tanya palta

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh pleeeze! sophomoric, juvenile, bland. Shall I go on?
Published on May 29 1998 by Steven Reads

4.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Novel Of Revenge - A Psychological Thriller!, Nov. 29 2003
Susan R. Sloan has written a gripping psychological suspense thriller with "Guilt By Association." Once I began this novel, I found it almost impossible to put it down. Her journalistic writing and realistic characters give the illusion, at times, that this is a nonfiction account of a terrible crime and the aftermath.
Karen Kern, a lovely coed with a bright future, attends a friend's holiday party one evening in December, 1962. Later that evening another party guest offers to walk her home. Unable to get a taxi, she accepts the offer. Bob, a wealthy Harvard student from a good family, was properly introduced to her and her friends knew him. She felt comfortable accepting his company on the long walk across Central Park. Bob brutally rapes and beats Karen in the park, abandoning her in the frigid winter air where she is found unconscious the following morning. Karen almost died that night. Since there are no witnesses to the crime, the police convince her family that they could never win the case if they press charges. The young man's family is influential. He is a good student at a top school and has no prior history of violence. Karen's parent's are too ashamed to pursue justice and tell their friends that Karen was the victim of a hit and run accident. It takes her over a year, and many surgeries, to recover - although she is left with a limp, no spleen, a badly damaged psyche and no self confidence. She will never have the children she has always longed for. Her life is ruined. She does not return to school. Her fiance, whom she finally tells the truth to, is unable to deal with the horrific situation and leaves her. Karen is brutalized once again by social and legal biases.
Ms. Sloan writes two parallel storylines. She develops the lives and careers of Karen Kern, who has been forever altered by the attack, and Robert (Bob) Willmont, Karen's assailant, who is not effected by his actions at all. Sloan creates credible lives and fascinating characters for both of them. Tension and suspense build to a peak until the inevitable happens. The two, victim and assailant, meet thirty years later. What happens makes for some of the most riveting reading imaginable - and gives new meaning to the concept of "revenge."
This book is more than a thriller, however. Ms. Sloan has written a chronicle of the changing attitudes towards women over a period of thirty years. I lived through those times and can testify to the accuracy of her writing. Karen is a courageous figure who tries, for over 3 decades, to come to terms with her ordeal. Sloan gives a sometimes shocking and very valid testimony here of a woman seeking justice and triumphing over the terrible pain and scars of rape.
JANA

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Unforgetable Book!!!, Sept. 28 2002
tanya palta (New Delhi, Delhi India) - See all my reviews
The Most Unforgettable Book!!!
When I rented this book from the library I expected nothing of it.But boy was I wrong.This is one of the most amazing books Ive ever read and is definitely my all time favourite book. I had to purchase it for my collection. Susan R Sloan deals with the topic of rape with such sensitivity .Also the book is not written in your typical best seller style.Being from India you can totally identify with the kind of society potrayed in the 60s cos that's how the society in India is now.The way Karen s family blames her and ostracizes her for bringing shame to the family is how a lot of people would react.
Anyway the book is not only about her suffering but its also one of the best revenge thrillers .The ending is really gonna shock you.This is one book which all my college pals and even our mothers swear by it.Once you ve purchased this book you ll keep on passing it on cos you want to the whole world to read itI also recommend An Isolated Incident by the same author.The best thing about Susan R Sloan books are that you can read them again and again and they get better each time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Too easy to figure out!, April 22 1998
By A Customer
It's due to the raving reviews of the other readers that I bought and read, actually devoured "Guilt by Association", and without any doubt this book is a page-turner and thoroughly enjoyable. I am going to read Sloan's "An Isolated Incident" too, even though I'm already prepared by several reviews that the ending is a far cry from the quality that the story provides and disappointing. But I want to find that out on my own! Until page 375 of "Guilt by Association" I was convinced that I'd rate this book a 10 but the moment I learned what had happened to the once raped woman and the story's main character in Golden Gate Park I knew exactly what this new turn was leading to and I was proven right. After getting to know Karen so well while reading about the story of her messed-up life I immediately sensed that something was very wrong with what I continued to read (I hope I don't give away too much!). But nevertheless, even with this nagging feeling in the back of my mind I enjoyed Sloan's book, her writing style, her characters and the whole storyline a lot. If you read this book you are in for a treat!

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh pleeeze! sophomoric, juvenile, bland. Shall I go on?, May 29 1998
After reading the amazon reviews and being one who enjoys suspenseful novels, I bought the book.I should have bought lottery tickets. I've read 200 pages and don't think I can finish it. Was the author's brain soaking in syrup while writing this? Spare me the mother's high-horse, crap-don't-stink behavior. And Karen's childish dialogue becomes silly and laughable fast; serious in one breath, joking in the next. Please!
The worst part about this story (there were many to choose from)is that the author relates nothing in the dialogue to allow the reader to know when events are taking place. had the beginning not been prefaced with "dec. 1962", there is no way of knowing that's where this begins. And this flaw does no justice whatsoever to teh conversations amongst the characters.
Should I finish this book (doubtful), I may write a sequel to this review. But with so many books out there, I don't know...

5.0 out of 5 stars Three dimensional characters in a three dimensional book, July 1 2000
It is always a tribute to the writer when you find yourself thinking about the characters in a book even when you're not reading! Such is the case with "Guilt By Association." The herione is multi-dimensional and flawed, and is both incredibly strong and vulnerable. The story grippingly details the long-term damage of the assault itself, as well as the damage inadvertently done by those who claim to be doing what is best for the victim. It chronicles the change in attitude toward rape and assault in the past 30+ years, as well as women's role in society. Although I could see the "twist" in the plot coming, it didn't dissapoint. "Guilt by Association" is a story you'll think about long after you finish the last page, with characters you'll grow to know and care about. I'm adding Susan Sloan to my list of "automatic reads" whenever she comes out with a new book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, May 16 1999
By A Customer
I honestly cannot believe that the other reviews here are serious. I got this book for free and I still paid too much for it. I don't think I've ever read anything this cliched and embarrassing in all my life, and I read John Grisham books. The characters are puerile, one-dimensional and utterly stereotypical - there isn't an interesting soul among them. The dialogue is consistently irritating, and the pace makes an asthmatic sloth look like Carl Lewis! People, I implore you, do NOT listen to the other reviews of this book. Save yourself some money, and go and buy something really good. The only way you'll be able to read this is if you're desperately trying to avoid doing revision.(sic)
Oh, and a final thought for Warner Books to put on the back of the next reprint - This book has absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever.

5.0 out of 5 stars RIVETING AND HEART-WRENCHING, Aug. 26 2000
Karen Boml "Kiki" (Hudson, NH) - See all my reviews
Karen Kern learned a lesson the hard way........The strangershe met at a party asked to walk her home, late at night.....on the way, he brutally beat and raped her in Central Park.......This was Dec., 22, 1962.....a time when families liked to "sweep under the rug" incidents such as this.....no one would even let Karen talk about it....she was told to just "forget it ever happened".....she was also thought to be the one to provoke such behavior! It took Karen 30 years to exact revenge, and Oh, how sweet it is! ... You must read this book for yourself........I guarantee you will stand up and cheer at the end..........and whatever you do, do NOT read the last page first! This story was an emotional roller-coaster, a "stay-up-all-night till it's done" reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars MY ALL TIME FAVORITE BOOK RECOMMENDATION, March 31 2000
TheReader23 (Pennsylvania (orig. NY)) - See all my reviews
I once asked an "avid" reader to recommend the best book she had ever read and she told me to read Guilt By Association. She wasn't wrong. It became my favorite recommendation to give to others who just want a "plain great read". If you are the type of reader who likes to read the last page first, don't ever do this with a Susan Sloan book. Recently, on a trip to the Carribean, my daughter asked me what book she should read on the beach. Of course I gave her Guilt. I sat next to her as she was finishing it and her first response was, "Oh, My God". She, along with everyone else who has read this book, read the last page over and over again in disbelief. Sloan is a masterful writer who keeps you guessing at every turn and cheering on her victim.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding: As Good as a Novel Gets, May 10 2002
By A Customer
A stunning first novel. After finishing this book my biggest surprise (besides the ending itself) is why this book and its author are not better known. The book is, at its core, a legal thriller, but it is far more than that - it is a first rate literary novel. It surpasses anything that John Grisham, Scott Turow or Richard North Patterson have written. The characters are three dimensional and the story itself, especially the reaction of the authorities and Karen Kern's family to her rape, are all too accurate. So too is the consequence of the rape on Karen herself. The book would make an excellent text for a course in contemporary society on any college campus.
...

5.0 out of 5 stars A Surprisingly Intriguing Read, Sept. 18 2002
"sellmart54" (Johnston, IA United States) - See all my reviews
I picked this book up in paperback at an airport after reading the back of it and thinking it sounded like a good read but the author was unknown. I thought I would just take a change since I am such an avid reader.
I found the book to be rivoting! I recall finishing it on a car trip and just as my husband turned off on our exit to go home I completed it and closed the book and simply said "Oh My word!!!" Loved every minute of it.
What a pleasant surprise to read a new author and find myself so engulfed in the book.

Guilt By Association
Guilt By Association by Susan R. Sloan (Paperback - Nov. 16 1995)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01