5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Unforgetable Book!!!
The Most Unforgettable Book!!!
Published on Sept. 28 2002 by tanya palta

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh pleeeze! sophomoric, juvenile, bland. Shall I go on?
After reading the amazon reviews and being one who enjoys suspenseful novels, I bought the book.I should have bought lottery tickets. I've read 200 pages and don't think I can finish it. Was the author's brain soaking in syrup while writing this? Spare me the mother's high-horse, crap-don't-stink behavior. And Karen's childish dialogue becomes silly and laughable fast;...
Published on May 29 1998 by Steven Reads

4.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Novel Of Revenge - A Psychological Thriller!, Nov. 29 2003
Susan R. Sloan has written a gripping psychological suspense thriller with "Guilt By Association." Once I began this novel, I found it almost impossible to put it down. Her journalistic writing and realistic characters give the illusion, at times, that this is a nonfiction account of a terrible crime and the aftermath.
Karen Kern, a lovely coed with a bright future, attends a friend's holiday party one evening in December, 1962. Later that evening another party guest offers to walk her home. Unable to get a taxi, she accepts the offer. Bob, a wealthy Harvard student from a good family, was properly introduced to her and her friends knew him. She felt comfortable accepting his company on the long walk across Central Park. Bob brutally rapes and beats Karen in the park, abandoning her in the frigid winter air where she is found unconscious the following morning. Karen almost died that night. Since there are no witnesses to the crime, the police convince her family that they could never win the case if they press charges. The young man's family is influential. He is a good student at a top school and has no prior history of violence. Karen's parent's are too ashamed to pursue justice and tell their friends that Karen was the victim of a hit and run accident. It takes her over a year, and many surgeries, to recover - although she is left with a limp, no spleen, a badly damaged psyche and no self confidence. She will never have the children she has always longed for. Her life is ruined. She does not return to school. Her fiance, whom she finally tells the truth to, is unable to deal with the horrific situation and leaves her. Karen is brutalized once again by social and legal biases.
Ms. Sloan writes two parallel storylines. She develops the lives and careers of Karen Kern, who has been forever altered by the attack, and Robert (Bob) Willmont, Karen's assailant, who is not effected by his actions at all. Sloan creates credible lives and fascinating characters for both of them. Tension and suspense build to a peak until the inevitable happens. The two, victim and assailant, meet thirty years later. What happens makes for some of the most riveting reading imaginable - and gives new meaning to the concept of "revenge."
This book is more than a thriller, however. Ms. Sloan has written a chronicle of the changing attitudes towards women over a period of thirty years. I lived through those times and can testify to the accuracy of her writing. Karen is a courageous figure who tries, for over 3 decades, to come to terms with her ordeal. Sloan gives a sometimes shocking and very valid testimony here of a woman seeking justice and triumphing over the terrible pain and scars of rape.
JANA

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Unforgetable Book!!!, Sept. 28 2002
tanya palta (New Delhi, Delhi India) - See all my reviews
The Most Unforgettable Book!!!
When I rented this book from the library I expected nothing of it.But boy was I wrong.This is one of the most amazing books Ive ever read and is definitely my all time favourite book. I had to purchase it for my collection. Susan R Sloan deals with the topic of rape with such sensitivity .Also the book is not written in your typical best seller style.Being from India you can totally identify with the kind of society potrayed in the 60s cos that's how the society in India is now.The way Karen s family blames her and ostracizes her for bringing shame to the family is how a lot of people would react.
Anyway the book is not only about her suffering but its also one of the best revenge thrillers .The ending is really gonna shock you.This is one book which all my college pals and even our mothers swear by it.Once you ve purchased this book you ll keep on passing it on cos you want to the whole world to read itI also recommend An Isolated Incident by the same author.The best thing about Susan R Sloan books are that you can read them again and again and they get better each time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Surprisingly Intriguing Read, Sept. 18 2002
"sellmart54" (Johnston, IA United States) - See all my reviews
I picked this book up in paperback at an airport after reading the back of it and thinking it sounded like a good read but the author was unknown. I thought I would just take a change since I am such an avid reader.
I found the book to be rivoting! I recall finishing it on a car trip and just as my husband turned off on our exit to go home I completed it and closed the book and simply said "Oh My word!!!" Loved every minute of it.
What a pleasant surprise to read a new author and find myself so engulfed in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally engrossing, May 12 2002
Michelle M. (Las Vegas, Nevada) - See all my reviews
I received a dog-eared, tattered copy of this paperback book from a co-worker. Pages were falling out. This copy has been read and passed around my workplace for who knows how long. This is the best book I have read in years. Could not put it down. Neglected work, home, sleep, everything until I reached the last page. Couldn't wait to pass it on to my best friend. It is that good. I can't believe someone in Hollywood has not made this book a movie yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding: As Good as a Novel Gets, May 10 2002
By A Customer
A stunning first novel. After finishing this book my biggest surprise (besides the ending itself) is why this book and its author are not better known. The book is, at its core, a legal thriller, but it is far more than that - it is a first rate literary novel. It surpasses anything that John Grisham, Scott Turow or Richard North Patterson have written. The characters are three dimensional and the story itself, especially the reaction of the authorities and Karen Kern's family to her rape, are all too accurate. So too is the consequence of the rape on Karen herself. The book would make an excellent text for a course in contemporary society on any college campus.
...

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Surprise Ending!, April 12 2002
By A Customer
This compelling novel was difficult to put down once I started it. The characters seemed so real. I felt as if I was actually drawn into the personal events of their lives. That's a feature I consider essential to excellent storytelling. Susan Sloan achieved it masterfully! Read this book! It will be a long time before you forget its awesome surprise ending.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Real Surprise, Nov. 1 2001
For the debt novel,I loved it. It has been along time sence I got into a book on the frist chapter, this one did it for me.
I'm not done with it but could not wait to pass on how I loved it. Just like the cover says what a great ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars MUST READ, July 6 2001
By A Customer
This is an AMAZING read! You won't be able to put it down and will be passing it on to all of your friends...

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping!!!, June 19 2001
By A Customer
This was a book that I could not put down!! Susan Sloan is very clever and this book takes many different turns.

5.0 out of 5 stars RIVETING AND HEART-WRENCHING, Aug. 26 2000
Karen Boml "Kiki" (Hudson, NH) - See all my reviews
Karen Kern learned a lesson the hard way........The strangershe met at a party asked to walk her home, late at night.....on the way, he brutally beat and raped her in Central Park.......This was Dec., 22, 1962.....a time when families liked to "sweep under the rug" incidents such as this.....no one would even let Karen talk about it....she was told to just "forget it ever happened".....she was also thought to be the one to provoke such behavior! It took Karen 30 years to exact revenge, and Oh, how sweet it is! ... You must read this book for yourself........I guarantee you will stand up and cheer at the end..........and whatever you do, do NOT read the last page first! This story was an emotional roller-coaster, a "stay-up-all-night till it's done" reading!

Guilt By Association
Guilt By Association by Susan Sloan (Paperback - Nov. 16 1995)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01