5.0 out of 5 stars Trace review
My first Cornwall book definitely won't be my last. Great character, and great style. Kay Scarpetta finally returns to her old job in Richmond, five years later and this is the perfect set up for Cornwall's tale of intrigue. She's been summoned by Dr. Marcus to help him sift through a murder of a fourteen-year-old girl. The rest, well, you'll have to read the book...
Published on Oct. 15 2004 by S. Desdemona

1.0 out of 5 stars Her books still sell???
Published on Feb. 26 2012 by CGP

1.0 out of 5 stars Her books still sell???, Feb. 26 2012
CGP - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Ce commentaire est de: Trace (Mass Market Paperback)
The reviews of Trace on Amazon.com, over three-hundred of them, are much poorer than the nine or so here. I thoroughly agree with the Amazon.com reviewers. Cornwell started downhill with Isle of Dogs, a terrible book. After that I only read Blowfly, to give her another chance. I thought Blowfly was nearly as bad. I bought Trace just on spec, expecting little...and got less. Everybody in the book is unreasonably angry, the sub-plots drag on, Benton risks his relation with Kay to work with a totally uninteresting woman (Lucy's ex-lover) and his efforts come to nothing. Marino magically gets the baddie in the end, though it's unclear how. And the baddie is a most unbelievable wacko. A lot of fuss is made over trace elements found at two crime scenes and no real resolution is ever given. A construction worker may or may not have been murdered...who knows and who cares. A most unlikeable Dr. Marcus is introduced, with a weird hang-up, and then dropped. When I finally finished the book, doggedly working through it in case it got better, my question was: Why did I bother? Terrible book.

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT good at all, Dec 16 2004
Susie Sharon (Orleans, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Trace (Hardcover)
I only gave this book two stars because I am very loyal to this author. Unfortunately, this book is horrible. Blowfly was REALLY bad. This one is also bad, not as much but... I read the other reviews and I believe the book was given okay reviews because the previous book was so awful that this one seems good compared to it! I am so sad that P. Cornwell is continuing to murder the characters that we love so much. I can't stand this anymore and I don't think I will be buying her other books.

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointed is not enough of a word, July 26 2005
penny young (port coquitlqm, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Trace (Mass Market Paperback)
Once again, after reading Blowfly...I had to force myself to read this incredibly boring book. I kept reading, looking for the "punch lines" or the meat of the book. unfortunately, with the ending of the book...there just wasn't one. You had to add your own theory between Scarpetta..Benton..Lucy..and Henri. Talk about no meat. Where was the story?? Why did Henri even go and stay with Benton? What was the sense if Benton and everyone involved knew she was lying? What the hell was Lucy hiding from Scarpetta after everything her and Lucy had been through in the past? I hate it when I read a book, and I am pissed off at the end that I wasted my time. Sorry Ms. Cornwell, but this is the last book that you will suck me into buying. I don't know if your editor is pushing you or not, but I would think that you are professional enough, and have pride in your own writing that this would not be the case.

4.0 out of 5 stars OK, Jan. 8 2009
Dobrin - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Trace (Mass Market Paperback)
Against advice from her niece Lucy, Kay Scarpetta answers a request to return to the Richmond medical examiner's office, the same office from which she was fired, to help with the sensitive case of a dead teen. When she and Pete Marino arrive, they find the new medical examiner to be a vituperative, uncooperative martinet and the office that Kay ran so efficiently in chaos. Two murders, oddly linked, demand their attention. In the meantime, Lucy, still unsettled despite her success with the Last Precinct investigative agency, is having personal problems (there's been an attack on her housemate), which strangely enough find her treading the same path as her aunt Kay. Traces of the smart, dynamic, yet vulnerable Scarpetta of the early novels are in evidence here, and Cornwell has better control of her plot and characters than in her last few efforts, faltering only occasionally when psychobabble weighs things down. The mystery is intriguing, there's plenty of forensic detail, and the ending, though perhaps too abrupt, opens the way for Scarpetta and her associates to proceed in any direction that calls to them.
If you like reading books by Patricia Cornwell, try also the following two books:
Predator
Blow Fly

4.0 out of 5 stars i hope i'll get an answer to this.., Dec 3 2007
Ce commentaire est de: Trace (Mass Market Paperback)
I'm just wondering what really happened to Mr. Benton Wesley because in the story "Point of Origin" he was killed. Then in this story he's back again? What really happened to him and where he'd been all those years that he was beleived to be dead? Is there a another book by Cornwell that tells what really happened to the character of Benton Wesley? I hope somebody can answer me. I hope Ms. Cornwell can. c:

Nevertheless, i love the Scarpetta Series. I'm actually addicted to it. Cornwell is indeed a brilliant author!

2.0 out of 5 stars Tedious, Needlessly Convoluted and Sophomoric, July 15 2006
Donald Mitchell "Jesus Loves You!" (Thanks for Providing My Reviews over 122,000 Helpful Votes Globally) - See all my reviews
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Ce commentaire est de: Trace (Mass Market Paperback)
Trace is well named. It has a trace of the good characteristics of the early Scarpetta novels . . . and the trace is indeed hard to find underneath an unkempt undergrowth of character and plot developments left over from prior books and compounded here with new, needless alley ways about mentally bizarre characters. A medical examiner is definitely needed to uncover the trace of the qualities that once made this a compelling and enjoyable series.

A few years ago I decided I wouldn't read any more Scarpetta novels. They were just too angry, too gross and too ridiculous in their plots involving off-beat characters who want to "get" Scarpetta for various sick reasons. I often felt like I was reading about the frustration dreams of a paranoid person . . . and I didn't enjoy it.

Trace sounded less intense . . . so I gave it a try. The good news is that the story is more entertaining than the ones that drove me away. The bad news is that the aftertaste of those stories lingers on to mar the characters and plot line here.

Scarpetta, Benson, Lucy and Marino want to be with one another . . . but they are so devoted to keeping secrets from one another . . . that they spend the maximum time apart. It's a curious way to run a novel.

A partial reunion occurs when Scarpetta is asked to consult on a mysterious death of a 14-year-old girl and Marino returns with her to Richmond where she was embarrassed and harassed by a former governor five years earlier. The old ME shop has never been in worse shape, and you will find out why in greater detail than you really want to know.

Naturally, Scarpetta figures out the cause of death within minutes of beginning her examination. We spend time with the girl's killer throughout so we know what's really going on from near the beginning. The rest of the novel is a slow motion movement towards a conjunction of the characters and the plot until they finally collide to create a new equilibrium near the end. Chop out 200 pages of that "action," and you would probably have an average police procedural. As it is, you mainly get posturing, insults and annoying side plots that don't serve much purpose except to pad out the length of the book. The "action" is sustained by having the story be explained in as confusing a way as possible . . . in each case by the character who knows the least about what's really going on.

Scarpetta is the heroine . . . but you won't always find her to be delightful. She's too often like the smart kid in class who you always hoped would make an embarrassing mistake . . . but never did. That makes her so perfect that it's hard to identify with her. Even Superman has his social problems as Clark Kent to create sympathy for him. Twerps may try to tweak Scarpetta, but the contest is so one-sided in her favor in Trace that there's never any doubt about how it will turn out.

Lucy has become so much of a caricature of the "talented woman who's lost her way" that I found myself wishing she wasn't in the book. That's a shame because Lucy used to play a helpful role as a counterpoint to Scarpetta's perfection.

But if your favorite plot is that mentally ill people are running amok harming others in ways that you need a perfect medical examiner to stop, Patricia Cornwell is still your author. I would have graded this as a three star novel if the relevant universe were limited to other Scarpetta novels I have read. Hard core Scarpetta fans will probably find this book to be an improvement over its immediate predecessors.

2.0 out of 5 stars what a strange point of view, Nov. 9 2005
S. Mason (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Trace (Mass Market Paperback)
I disliked the 3rd person telling of this story a great deal. Hard to read and boring. Jumps all over the place. Won't be buying Cornwell anymore. Janet Evanovich, here I come!

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than 'Blow Fly', Oct. 18 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Trace (Hardcover)
I enjoyed this book so much more than BLOW FLY. Kay Scarpetta returns to Richmond after five years, and the pick-back-up idea is both refreshing and evidently invigorating to not only readers, but Scarpetta as well. She seems to have gotten a second (fifth? sixth?) wind and boy, does it show! The plot centers around the mysterious death of a fourteen-year-old and Scarpetta is there to help out Marcus--the completely inept replacement for her while she was gone. He's one of the best characters she's written, incorporating every evil, stupid, and loathsome boss that's ever existed. Can you relate? I know I can. There's even a character named Edgar Allan Pogue to round out the cast of this wonderful book. Do yourself a favor and buy it . . .now!
I would also recommend two very different books which I enjoyed. The first is THE PIANO TEACHER--a little racy and disturbing, and the second is THE BARK OF THE DOGWOOD--also disturbing but VERY funny and well written. All are great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trace review, Oct. 15 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Trace (Hardcover)
My first Cornwall book definitely won't be my last. Great character, and great style. Kay Scarpetta finally returns to her old job in Richmond, five years later and this is the perfect set up for Cornwall's tale of intrigue. She's been summoned by Dr. Marcus to help him sift through a murder of a fourteen-year-old girl. The rest, well, you'll have to read the book!
Would also recommend something completely different but equally great: THE BARK OF THE DOGWOOD by McCrae

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but not up to her usual, Oct. 23 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Trace (Hardcover)
I enjoyed this book, but not as much as I thought I would. The characters, while better than those in Blow Fly (what a name!!!) were more believable and it was nice to see Kay darling regain her composure and everything else, including her old job. If you've ever had a boss from hell, you'll be able to relate to the you know what Marcus. He literally made my flesh crawl. And everyone's had one of those for a boss! Dr. Joel Marcus, Scarpetta's replacement as Virginia's chief medical examiner, has summoned her back to help him puzzle through the mysterious death of a 14-year-old girl. Marcus is generally loathed: he's petty, inept, has a secret garbage-truck phobia and harbors an intense hatred for Scarpetta. Meanwhile, Scarpetta's niece Lucy, owner of a fabulously successful private-eye firm, has her own troubles trying to sort out who attempted to kill her friend Henri (short for Henrietta), who's now under psychiatric treatment by Scarpetta's lover in Aspen, Benton Wesley. Lurking in the background is Edgar Allan Pogue, a nutcase who has a thing for dead bodies and a grudge against Scarpetta. It's her job, as always, to connect all the puzzling forensic dots and identify the killer in time to save herself and her loved ones. She does this, mostly, but leaves the reader to puzzle out a few salient points on his or her own. Cumbersome backstory slows the action, but in general the old Scarpetta comes through, at least in the main, and this will be enough to reassure her many fans and carry them over until her next appearance. Do yourself a favor and purchase this book, if for nothing else, to give poor Kay a lift. Ciao dahlings'!!!

ARRAY(0xc0eb0de0)

TRACE.
TRACE. by Patricia. Cornwell (Paperback - 2005)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01