5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent...
Published 8 months ago by Pat the cat

3.0 out of 5 stars Shades of Film Noir
Published 22 months ago by R. Widdowson

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining thriller, April 25 2014
This review is from: Tell No One (Kindle Edition)
Story flows very easily - you can't put it down at the end.

Also the story doesn't let you go the first day after you finished reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent..., Nov. 7 2013
Pat the cat - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tell No One: A Novel (Paperback)
I like this author and I've come to expect entertaining thrillers from him. And, this novel did not disappoint! An ordinary man receives a mysterious email that shows that his wife, who was abducted and killed eight year prior, may be alive. However, if he wants to know more, he cannot tell anyone about this email.... So far so good, right? Not quite.... The author has come up with a complex story where many, apparently unrelated, people seem to be covering up some things and the wife's murder is turning out to be not quite what it's been assumed to be... Some of the villains were pretty creepy and I got sweats just thinking of the encounters with the Eric Wu character.... Even though the tale is rather convoluted and a little over the top, I still couldn't put the book down and I was pretty surprised by the last twist at the end. I give it top marks, 5/5 stars (excellent).

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Weekend Get Away., Oct. 28 2012
J Reader (CANADA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tell No One: A Novel (Paperback)
I am not much of a Coben fan. I've only read one of his other books and it was so cheezy and awful I swore I would never read another. So I came to this novel skeptical. I was very surprised when I found myself not wanting to put it down.

Coben was able to get me to care about the characters. Not just the main characters but almost all of them. I appreciate it when an author cares enough to give the people in his novel some back story so I can see them as more than caricatures. The best part is that you don't realize he's doing it. There is never a lull in the action while he develops the backstory. Everything flows remarkably well.

The most compelling aspect of this story is it's unpredictability. I always thought I knew where the story was going and I was always wrong. I love that in a novel and Tell No One does it wonderfully. It's packed with action, suspense, a great love story and a healthy dose of mystery.

I would strongly recommend this book to anyone. It's the perfect lazy weekend novel because you won't want to stop reading once you start.

3.0 out of 5 stars Shades of Film Noir, Oct. 5 2012
R. Widdowson (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Tell No One: A Novel (Paperback)
Coben wrote this before 9/11. Some of the prose is very thin - descriptions of action are flat. Lee Child, for instance, writes amazing action sequences (the hard-boiled and Western influences showing through). Still, Coben has created a very exciting situation - a man believes he may have received an email from the wife he thought had died at the hands of a serial killer. Shades of film noir. He definitely improves as a writer in his later books. But still very good

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE HARLAN COBEN, Sept. 1 2010
This review is from: Tell No One: A Novel (Paperback)
Excellent - very good, lots of twists and turns. I have read most of Harlan Coben's books and can't say I have read one I didn't like.

5.0 out of 5 stars COULDN'T PUT THIS BOOK DOWN, Sept. 21 2009
S. Murray "Now a Reader" (Dartmouth, Nova Scotia) - See all my reviews
I had heard a lot about this book and ordered it online. Once I received it I couldn't put it down.

The author gets you right from the first page. And the ending was not what I expected; albeit it was a good ending though.

I would highly recommend this book to others. I have since ordered another book by Harlen Coben.

I have no doubt it will be just as good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easily Read, Though No Great Surprises, Jan. 24 2007
"Tell No-One", first published in 2001, is Harlan Coben's eighth book - though is his first not to feature Myron Bolitar. Instead, the book's hero is David Beck. He'd known his wife, Elizabeth, from childhood - they'd met when they were seven, had their first kiss at twelve underneath a tree at Lake Charmaine and married at twenty-five. (Lake Charmaine was once a kids' summer camp, and is now owned by David's grandfather). After their first kiss, they carved their initials on the accompanying tree and, being a very cheesy couple, returned every year to add another notch beneath them. However, the evening they add their thirteenth notch, the couple are attacked - David is left for dead, while Elizabeth is abducted. Three days later, Elizabeth's body is found and is later identified by her father - from the signature branding, it seems the couple had been attacked by the serial killer Elroy "KillRoy" Kellerton.

Time moves on, though David remains single and never properly gets over Elizabeth's death. Eight years later, he's working as a paediatrician, with the majority of his patients on Medicaid. Unfortunately, events are about to bring what happened at Lake Charmaine back to the surface. The first thing provides possibly the biggest shock of them all - an email from Elizabeth, containing phrases only she should've known. The same afternoon, David is contacted by the local Sheriff about two bodies that have just been found near the lake. A baseball bat buried with them has blood traces on it that matches David's blood group - B positive. However, while it's not entirely clear what part - if any - these men played in the attack on David and Elizabeth, things aren't about to get any better.

Obviously, David finds this all very unsettling. Despite a warning in one of Elizabeth's emails - "tell no-one" - David decides to confide in Shauna, his ex-roommate and his sister, Linda's, long-term partner. Linda manages the Brandon Scope Memorial Charity, named after the son of a local billionaire who'd been murdered several years previously. The charity had been founded by the billionaire, Griffin, an ex-classmate of both David's and Elizabeth's fathers. Unfortunately, it's clear from very early in the book that Griffin has some business dealings some very unsavoury people and is keeping a very close eye on Davis.

Overall, I found "Tell No-One" a very enjoyable and easily read book. Coben tells the story in two distinct styles. The sections of the book about David are told from his point of view ("I tried to reach for it, but someone leapt in my back"). However, the sections that focus on other characters are written about them ("Griffin hung up the phone and snapped on a pair of latex gloves"). While the approach may put some off, I felt it worked well. The ending, on the other hand, seemed a little too neat and not quite as dramatic as it should've been. Nevertheless, it's still a recommended book.

4.0 out of 5 stars First Coben Read, Oct. 20 2006
R. Hansen "rob_slick" (Hamilton, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This was my first Harlan Coben novel and I enjoyed it enough to read it in three days. If I didn't have to sleep, eat and go to work in between, I likely would have read it one sitting. I would definitely classify it as a page-turner.

Coben keeps the twists coming along with the suspense, but by the time the final climax arrived, all the other twists had already been used up, and I had guessed the ending coming.

5.0 out of 5 stars DON'T START THIS BOOK IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING ELSE TO DO, July 6 2004
I finished this, my first Harlan Coben book, in less than 48 hours. Once I started it, that's all I wanted to do, solve the mystery. I read 10-12 books a month, mainly mysteries. Trust me when I tell you that most are drivel, a shameful waste of the trees to print them. When you stumble across a writer this talented you seek out all his other works.

3.0 out of 5 stars An author worth following, July 4 2004
This is the third Coben novel I've read. All were enjoyable, but each is dragged down by Coben's penchant for complex plots that often veer into the unbelievable. He also has an unfortunate tendency to carry some characters from one novel to another. This is particularly grueling because Coben's characters aren't well developed to begin with.
All that said and done, Coben is a thoroughly enjoyable read.
His plots, as stretched as they become, have a glow of craftsmanship to them. They definitely do propel you through the story. The characters, flat as they often are, still have enough heft to keep your interest.
In short, Coben and in this case "Tell No One" are just plain fun reads. They will keep your interest. I intend to pursue all of Coben's novels, not only because they are fun reading, but because this writer has a future and could indeed turn out to be one of the best suspense novelists of all time. It's kind of fun to watch his growth.
Jerry

Tell No One
Tell No One by Harlan Coben (Paperback - March 3 2005)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01