5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected!
I saw the first season of the TV show and wanted to read the book. I was afraid that I either would not like the book or realize that the TV show was a cheap imitation. I was pleasantly suprised to see that I loved the book. Also, the TV show deviates enough from the book to make both entertaining.
Published on Feb. 24 2007 by M. Vignaux

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed
Published on Feb. 18 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected!, Feb. 24 2007
M. Vignaux - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars A murderously charming protagonist, July 20 2004
Luan Gaines "luansos" (Dana Point, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Here's the deal: a good book writes its own review, triggering sufficient spontaneity to fill the page without reaching for bits of interest; this is one of those books, pushing aside all those mundane summer novels, leaving the reader with a satisfying, "Ah."
The attractively ghoulish protagonist is a sociopath and a murderer, but one with a "conscience", unfortunately an asset as manufactured as his other feelings. But Dexter does his best, given the circumstances. Brilliant and introspective, Dexter charms from the first page, even while distracted, dismembering his latest victim. What makes Dexter's extra-curricular activity bearable is the reason he kills: Dexter only chooses victims who have perpetrated foul deeds, those who would continue harming innocents if not stopped. To be honest, who hasn't secretly applauded the occasional vigilante who takes justice in his own hands, balancing the scales a bit?
Essentially passionless in his pursuit of evil-doers, Dexter is an elegant ghoul, fascinated by blood, the essence of human life. With the self-control of a recently sated vampire, Dexter is intelligent and thorough in his murderous pursuits. Like Rice's Vampire Lestat, this more human predator has a dark, romantic appeal, his dispassionate regard for "necessary" murders seductive and curiously erotic.
Dexter spends his days as a blood spatter analyst for the Miami Dade PD, the perfect job for keeping up with current crime scenes and maintaining a cover, not to mention the chance to troll for other deserving victims. Lurking behind his public self, Dexter is as secure as a serial killer can be. Until another killer shows up, perfectly modeling Dexter's MO. Both anxious and intrigued, Dexter scents a challenge, another creature of the night that lives with a Dark Passenger, as he refers to his murdering alter-ego. But Dexter is torn; he covets this newcomer for himself, but has promised to help his half-sister policewoman solve the case in her bid to become a detective.
Suddenly events spiral out of control, Dexter's careless insouciance is a thing of the past, as he is pursued by dark dreams and chaotic nightmares. Like Alice in Wonderland lost in a psychedelic trance, Dexter tumbles down the rabbit hole. What he finds is completely unexpected, a twisted, deviant detour into horror, startling the man who has thought himself incapable of shock. One has to wonder about Dexter's powers of self-preservation, whether he is tempting fate and secretly wants to be caught.
Lindsay has delivered an inspired mystery, one that demands to be read, in one sitting if possible, the elegant Dexter speaking to the need for justice where often there is none. Can't help but smile at the young man's antics, dancing in the moon-drenched night with his own demons and skirting the edge of mayhem. With infinite grace, the author reaches into the dark heart of each of us, igniting atavistic memory, no doubt with a smile on his face. Luan Gaines/2004.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed, Feb. 18 2005
By A Customer
I have mixed thoughts on this book. On one hand, it was an entertaining read and once I started I could hardly put it down. The descriptions of the murders were good; specific enough so I knew what was going on but not so gory that I was stopped reading. On the other hand, the characters spoke in a trite, melodramatic way that drove me nuts. Dexter's internal dialogue was interesting and kept the plot moving along but every time Deborah came along I rolled my eyes and wished she be quiet.
If you're looking for an entertaining murder-thriller that's a quick read, this book is for you. For more cerebral murder-thrillers, I recommend Ian Rankin's John Rebus books.

4.0 out of 5 stars A KILLER PLOT..., Oct. 3 2006
Lawyeraau (Balmoral Castle) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This is a remarkable debut novel, one in which the author has created a memorable character. So memorable is Dexter Morgan that he now has his own series on the Showtime cable network. What makes the title character so intriguing is that he is a serial killer working as a forensics blood splatter technician in Dade County, Miami, where, as a sideline, he metes out his own brand of justice. You see, Dexter, takes the law into his own hands, killing those who also kill but have gone unpunished by the law. Consequently, the author has created a killer that the reader actually likes and roots for.

Good looking and self-effacing, Dexter is the adopted brother of Deborah Morgan, a Miami vice cop with whom he works. She is trying to follow in the footsteps of her father, Harry Morgan, the Homicide cop that adopted Dexter at the age of four, after he was discovered in the aftermath of an unspeakable tragedy. It was Harry who sensed Dexter's strange proclivity and guided Dexter into channeling it in the way that it would be of benefit to law enforcement. Now, Dexter is trying to help his sister get promoted to Homicide by assisting her in finding a serial killer. It seems that since Dexter is one himself, he has an intuitive appreciation of the work of another. He also has a nose for sensing evil in others.

In this particular case, it goes beyond that, as Dexter finds himself confused by this serial killer whose style is strangely reminiscent of Dexter's own. In fact, this serial killer seems clued in to the fact that Dexter is one himself, leaving Dexter even more puzzled and somewhat unnerved by the fact that his secret may be out, despite his meticulous care in the public service that he clandestinely performs. Just who is this mysterious and almost mischievous serial killer, and how is it that he seems to so intimately know Dexter? That is what is at the crux of this novel.

With a well-plotted, slightly macabre story, narrated with quiet humor and intelligence by a fascinating central character, the author takes the reader on a walk into the dark side of humanity. While to Dexter's mind he lacks that sense of feeling that makes him as others are, the reader will find oneself liking Dexter and sensing in him that one thing that Dexter seems unable to sense, that very human desire to belong. As Dexter's life unfolds on these pages, the reader will be compulsively turning them, wanting to know more about Dexter. The author, his fondness for alliteration apparent, does not disappoint the reader, as he has written "Dearly Devoted Dexter", a new novel featuring our likable monster.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great book IF you haven't seen the show, Jan. 2 2008
I ordered these books because I absolutely love the hit series. I have never been drawn to a television series the way I am with Dexter. After reading all three of Jeff Lindsay's Dexter novels (after I saw the first two seasons of the TV series) I must say that I was somewhat disappointed. I liked the fact that the characters were similar to that of the TV series and that the story line in the novel was slightly different (just for some variety); however, this book left me with unanswered questions. Having said that, I still read the book in less than a week and it was still a good read with humour and a gripping ending.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but fell short of my expectations, Oct. 30 2007
G. Larouche (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Who knows, perhaps my expectations were too high, but after watching the show's first season religiously, I found that the book version did not have the sharp edge I'd come to love. I found that the characters were not as interesting and that there wasn't the abundance of details and dry, dark wit of the show. It isn't a bad book, but don't read it just because you got hooked on the show: just watch and enjoy, as they screenplay writer is more talented than the original writer...

3.0 out of 5 stars Book was ok, May 25 2013
Its amazing how well they have made the series having read the source material now, I really give the writers credit for this show.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, Oct. 20 2008
I had seen two seasons of Dexter on TV before picking up this first book. I was interested in seeing if the book was just as good, and in my opinion it is. The writing style got me into the characters (who remind me of the characters in the episodes) and I like the fact that the storyline is not the same as in the series, so it was not that predictable. I loved this from beginning to end. I have never read about a character so interesting and different as Dexter... I have also read the second book and in my opinion it is just as good as this first book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not raise to the series' level., July 27 2014
Lionel Berthoux "Lionel in Quebec" (Quebec, Candada) - See all my reviews
Reading the book will make you realize how good a work the show's writers did. The main ingredients (all the major characters, the dark humor, the gorefest, the internal monologue...) are there in Jeff Lindsay's novel, but it really doesn't raise to the level of the series. In particular, some of the action scenes, especially the final chapter, are ridiculously unbelievable. Rita's character is under-developed. It was an OK book, but I won't be reading the following ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and engaging, Aug. 15 2014
I read these books before the TV series came out and still go back to them as they well written and very engaging, and if you enjoyed the TV show, these provide a level of depth and detail into the character than you could achieve from watching the TV show. This book is the first in the series and introduces the character and background.

DARKLY DREAMING DEXTER.
DARKLY DREAMING DEXTER. by Jeff. Lindsay (Paperback - 2005)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.78