4.0 out of 5 stars Maskerading as
Terry Pratchett's satirical eye doesn't spare anybody or anything, and in his nineteenth Discworld book "Maskerade," it's opera's turn to suffer. In his typically barbed prose, he gleefully spoofs the "Phantom of the Opera," lampoons opera in general, and takes the opportunity to take everyone's favorite witches out to Ankh-Morpork.

Magrat Garlick is newly...
Published on Aug. 3 2007 by E. A Solinas

3.0 out of 5 stars Mid-Level Pratchett
Mid-level Pratchett, not up there with INTERESTING TIMES or down there with ERIC. The somewhat claustrophobic action takes place entirely in the Ankh-Morpork Opera House, and Pratchett is mainly out to satirize opera, opera singers, and opera lovers, as well as all the variants of Gaston Leroux's PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. The hard-to-take Granny Weatherwax dominates the...
Published on May 9 2001 by Rory Coker

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty, sharp and intelligent!, April 30 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Maskerade (Mass Market Paperback)
Pratchett does it again! He has never let me down, and always writes books of the highest quality!

4.0 out of 5 stars Maskerade Tickles, March 19 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Maskerade (Mass Market Paperback)
This was my first experience reading Pratchett, and I really enjoyed it. "Maskerade" is an all-out goofy ride and music lovers will laugh outloud at the observations made about the world of opera. Not a lot of substance or deep thought here, but Pratchett punctuates his silliness with simple observations on the human condition which are probably more complex than they appear.
In an odd way, I think that sometimes Pratchett's wit gets in the way of his writing. Sometimes I found myself not laughing at something I knew was funny just because I found it too clever, or perhaps too practiced. Every once in a while, I found myself a little annoyed at how astoundingly profound the characters were in their silliness. Anyway, it didn't happen often, and "Maskerade" was still a delightful, entertaining read.
I look forward to reading more of Pratchett's work in the future.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cutesy. Too too cutesy., Sept. 9 2001
Akethan (Arlington, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maskerade (Mass Market Paperback)
I put Pratchett on a "NO READ" list after finishing MASKERADE (Discworld Novel).
I was not pleased. It was so deliberate and forcedly clever/cute/noxious. The entire cliche, double entendre, faux pas style of writing wears thin very quickly.
I would consider Robert Lynn Asprin's MYTH Series much better choices. Or Piers Anthony's XANTH-ian run of books.
That said, I may pick up one of titles recommended by other readers. I have seen how some authors have a good thing and lose it along the way. I am still fixated by early Andre Norton (especially her Forerunner stories), but later stuff dips low in its crafting.
Nuff said.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Maskerade
Maskerade by Terry Pratchett (Audio CD - Nov. 1 2008)
CDN$ 98.70