5.0 out of 5 stars Janet Oke's Reader, Dec 30 2002
This review is from: The Tender Years (Paperback)
So far, I like every books I have read that was written by Janet Oke.

5.0 out of 5 stars fun, enjoyment, life learning experance, Oct. 30 2002
This review is from: The Tender Years (Paperback)
The tender years by Janet Oke is a very good book. Janet Oke is a very good author, I can relate to this book because just like virgina I am to a teenager. There is so much you learn from this book and is a wonderful experiance. Virgina and her family is a big family like the brady bunch. Almost every one wants a big family. I think every one should read this book it can teach you alot. Happy reading!

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to the Love Comes Softly family with new energy, Nov. 17 2001
Varina M. (Scottsdale, Arizona USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tender Years (Paperback)
As someone who enjoyed Oke's Love Comes Softly series and read all the books in it twice, despite their tendency to get a bit less well-developed and padded after the first few titles, I was very interested when the Prairie Legacy books came out. I was glad to see that a break from writing about the Davis family and their children seems to have revived Oke's ability to make up new, detailed incidents in the lives of Marty and Clark's daughter, Belinda, the man she was about to marry at the end of _Love Finds a Home_ and their five children, esp. teenage Virginia. Despite quibbles--like that the story seems to take place in a vacuum, as far as the outside world is concerned (no radio, no mention of the Depression or whatever period the book is supposed to be taking place in), or that Belinda would have been summoned to nursing duties by way of the phone at the time the book occurs, instead of by someone running to her house to tell her about an amergency (someone must have mentioned this to Oke, because they definitely have a phone by the next book), or that Clark and Marty *must* be at least six or eight years older than they are supposed to be in the otherwise wonderful where-are-they-now? prologue--I enjoyed the book and devoured it in one evening. Virginia's friend, Jenny, is very manipulative, but Virginia's conflict between pleasing her parents and satisfying her own ideals on the one hand and wanting to fit in on the other was something that anyone who remembers their growing up will identify with, and Virginia's conflicts after her own conversion, as she desires to see Jenny saved and worries about alienating her or being a horrible Christian example but also wants to avoid moral compromises and gives in to all-too-human emotions, as we all surely do, made the story compelling. I was not one hundred percent content with the way the mystery thread of the book was resolved, but I was pleased enough in other ways that my pleasure outweighed my quibbles, and I wanted to read the next book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great continuation of the Davis family story!, Oct. 10 2001
Anna M. Vandenhazel (West Valley City, UT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tender Years (Paperback)
Belinda's daughter Virginia is the subject of this story, as she
passes through the teen years. Sometimes she falls under the bad influence of her friend Jenny, whose father is too busy to keep an eye on her comings and goings. After Jenny is injured in a boat accident, she starts spending more time with Virginia's family and going to church. Sparks fly when a young man Jenny is interested in shows more interest in Virginia, and when a retarded man is falsely accused of theft, it's up to Virginia's father to find out the truth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Yet, June 2 2001
This review is from: The Tender Years (Paperback)
Looks like this could be her best series yet. So be prepared to read, or if your like me, to listen to all four. Have written to authur a letter asking her to continue the series. So lets hope that four are not all there will be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for teenagers!, Nov. 6 2000
to put it in blunt words.... i loved it! at first i thought it was kind of corny by looking at the cover, but since my mother bought it for me i thought i ought to read it for her sake. I ended up liking the book so much i wanted to read it again and again. I thought it was pretty realistic. I mean, the everyday teenager goes through pretty much everything Virginia did. The only thing i thought was a little awkward was how calm Virginia stayed. If i were her i would i have been so stressed out. It's a great book. READ IT! =)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Continuation from the Love Comes Softly Series., Sept. 12 2000
"heather34" (Sugar Land, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tender Years (Paperback)
This was a wonderful book about Marty and Clarks grandaughter Virginia and how she struggles to feel accepted by her peers. Its especially hard for Virginia because of her fiery-tempered friend Jenny Woods who always seems to be getting her into trouble. If you liked the Love Comes Softly series you'll love the story of Marty and Clarks grandaughter Virginia. I can't wait to read the rest of the books in the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely heart-tugging book - you can't put it down!, July 13 2000
This review is from: The Tender Years (Paperback)
The characters in this book were so easy to relate to, particularly if you were a 13 - 15 year old female. From peer pressure to solid morals/values, this book covers it all. It's extremely easy to read and you'll find yourself completely engulfed in the day-to-day happenings of this family, their community and their friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely a great book, Aug. 17 1998
This review is from: The Tender Years (Paperback)
"The Tender Years" was an excellent book! Being a teenager myself,I can relate to Oke's character ,Virginia. I loved the first books before "The Tender Years" and am looking foward to reading more of Janette Oke's continuing sagas. Her books are such wonderful Christian books and I enjoy them all!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully Written!!, July 4 1998
This review is from: The Tender Years (Paperback)
"The Tender Years" is a wonderful book. I read it this past fall, and absolutely loved it! I had already read the Love Comes Softly series and was wondering what had happened to everybody! When I heard Janette Oke was coming out with the Prairie Legacy books, I couldn't believe it! I was very surprised at how young Virginia was (13), but also very happy. I'm a teenager too, so I could relate to alot of things in the book. I loved the way she learned to trust God (as we all need to.) All I can really say is... READ IT!! Thank you, Janette Oke! Happy Reading!!

ARRAY(0xb3ed02dc)

The Tender Years
The Tender Years by Janette Oke (Hardcover - June 1998)
Used & New from: CDN$ 40.35