5.0 out of 5 stars Great!
This novel has the distinction of being the best James Patterson novel since ALONG CAME A SPIDER. I have read about five other Patterson books and they were not very impressive. However, THE BEACH HOUSE was fast-paced and entertaining. I really liked the main character and most of the characters were interesting.
This is the ultimate BEACH book.
Published on April 29 2003 by BookGirl82

2.0 out of 5 stars Let Down
Published on May 29 2003 by kjc228

2.0 out of 5 stars Let Down, May 29 2003
This review is from: The Beach House (Hardcover)
I will preface my review by saying this is the first James Patterson book I have read. As I started the book, I found myself wondering why I would care about the fate of the victim, not because I'm cold, but because there was such little substance. Along the way, I started to care simply because murder is not pretty but mostly because I'd bought the book and started it. The characters were slowly built up with lots of fluff thrown in, as well as choppy new chapters that didn't seem like they had to be new chapters at all, and seemed like they occurred almost every other page. I found myself gawking at how the book could go from page 123 to page 127, with exactly ONE page of actual text between the pages. There was no gripping pace, or 'need to read 'til you drop' feeling until VERY close to the end. Even then, I walked away wondering why I'd bothered finishing the book. I also wondered how this book could be a New York Times Bestseller...but then again, I bought it too! I much prefer the rapid pace of John Grisham and Greg Iles.

2.0 out of 5 stars Was Patterson Thinking Of The Movie Deal?, May 17 2003
This review is from: The Beach House (Hardcover)
A law student investigates the murder of his younger brother, a murder that is being covered up as suicide, because those likely involved are the richest of the rich with considerable influence and power.
Everything the rich in this story do is over the top, but unfortunately so is the writing of author James Patterson ( and Peter De Jonge). The book starts out with a promising premise, but it evolves into an unrealistic revenge fantasy that reads more like a bad movie script, with little character development, and action that stretches credibility more than just a bit.
With characters filing in and out of each short chapter, there's little chance to get to know them as anything more than plot devices. The hero's grandfather and investigator-girlfriend are the most interesting and deeply written (Patterson obviously had an affection for them), while the numerous villains are predictable and so darkly written they become boring. As for the hero, Jack Mullen, he's bland and not nearly as developed as one would expect for the main character. Patterson's plot really falls apart once Mullen begins to avenge his sleazy brother's murder. Moments of dialogue are overwritten or stretching to be too clever.
Yes, with its short chapters Beach House is a quick, easy read. But I kept getting the feeling as I read it that Patterson was already looking ahead to the movie deal as he wrote it, with lots of short, choppy scenes instead of a flowing narrative that wouldn't require the charisma of multi-million dollar leading man to pull it off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, April 29 2003
This review is from: The Beach House (Hardcover)
This is the ultimate BEACH book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Co-Authoring suits Mr. Patterson, June 10 2002
Michael T. Rognlien (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Beach House (Hardcover)
Not that he's not a competent writer of great murder mysteries in his own right, of course.
The formula of this book is no different than any other by this author or any in the genre. Someone's murdered, someone's going to investigate it, the person investigating it is going to have an edgy flirtation with the person who comes along to help with the investigation (usually a cop or PI) and using creative and completely illegal means, the original crime will be solved.
In this case, the victim is the brother of the main character, the "bad guy" is richer than words can describe, the love interest a female PI, and, as always, the police are inept and can't see a crime where one exists.
It's all about as formulaic as most of the reviews (seriously - how many book endings have literally "shocked" you?) but it's what Patterson does best. I've found these are great books to read on flights and while waiting in airports - great way to capture your attention, kill a few hours of time, and enjoy a storyteller's ability to draw you into their world where good eventually wins.

1.0 out of 5 stars What's happened to James Patterson?!, June 29 2004
V. Lichac "Virginia Dell" (Unavailable) - See all my reviews
Along Came a Spider, Kiss the Girls, Cradle and All, some of James Patterson's first books (or least the first ones I read) were all excellent! I was hooked! The character development and believability of his story lines kept me interested and on the edge of my seat. The last few novels, however, have become more and more mundane and lack imagination. The Beach House will be the last book I buy or read. The characters are boring and contrived as is the plot. Actually I find it downright silly! Why is James Patterson writing so poorly these days? What happened?

1.0 out of 5 stars VERY Disappointed, June 3 2004
I've really enjoyed James Patterson's other books, esp. the Alex Cross series, so I was looking forward to cracking this one open. I am so disappointed. I made myself finish the book, even though I really didn't care what happened to the characters. The book is VERY choppy, the plot is a bit ridiculous, and the ending is... well, I expected better of Mr. Patterson. Maybe because it's jointly written it's not quite as good as his regular stuff. Hoping that the next one I read meets my expectations.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Blech House, June 2 2004
"callan4" (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This is my first Patterson novel and I will have to say, probably my last. This story could have been written by an aspiring high school writer. The plot is as predictable and formulaic as words in a dictionary and the ending is off the chart ludicrous.
Sigh, that's 3 hours worth of reading I'll never get back.

2.0 out of 5 stars For Patterson fans only, May 28 2004
J. Naft (Cambridge, MA) - See all my reviews
Some close friends of mine gave me very stong reviews of this book and encouraged me to read it. I finally got around to borrowing a copy from the library, and I was excited to get started. By the time I finished, though, I felt very disappointed in what I had expected to be a great book... at best, I'd say this book is AVERAGE.
The plot was somewhat unbelievable and overly dramatic; reading it felt like a low-budget tv soap. The characters not very interesting, and the ending was downright stupid. I would go into more detail, but spoilers would negate any remote reason to spend time reading this book.
For the Patterson fan--sure. But if you're just trying to kill time (i.e. reading for general entertainment purposes) I'd say pass this one up for something more engaging.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping Story, May 20 2004
A. Vegan (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Beach House (Audio CD)
I had actually started reading this book but found that I couldn't seem to get into it. Then I mistakenly picked it up on CD at the library and I was hooked right away. At times, I'd catch myself driving around aimlessly just so I could hear more of the story. The story is fantastic! Peter Mullen is barely introduced before he's found dead outside the posh home of billionaire media tyrant Barry Neubauer during a celebrity-packed Memorial Day blowout. Peter's brother Jack doesn't believe that Peter killed himself, and he enlists the help of his friends to find out what really happened. Standing between Peter and the truth is a crooked police department, Jack's girlfriend (who also happens to be Neubauer's daughter) and a goon called The Fixer. If you can't get into the book... try the CD.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unrealistically dramatic outcome, May 16 2004
Paul Skinner (Manassas, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Beach House (Hardcover)
A young man dies while working a party at a millionaires house in the Hamptons, and his brother knows it was murder, rather than the suicide the police rush to judge. But why? It takes a while for the reader to discover the motive behind the crime. Meanwhile, some Mafia hitman type thug is running around scarring the old gang of friends of the deceased. The last 100 pages of this books enters bizarre drama, which could never occur in real life. Nevertheless, it was entertaining to an extent.

The Beach House
The Beach House by Peter De Jonge (Audio Cassette - April 7 2003)
Used & New from: CDN$ 34.02