summer boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle sports Tools

on January 14, 2011
A colleague of mine mentioned this book to me when she found out I was going to Crete for a holiday, but I didn't buy or read it until after I came back from Crete. During our visit to Crete, we went on a tour of the island of Spinalonga. It was one of the most interesting tours I have ever been on. So, upon my return, I bought this book and it has become a little piece of treasure for me. The way Victoria Hislop has written the book makes it very easy to get lost in the isolated island and the emotions of the people banished there. Of course, it made it so much more meaningful and easier to picture the island as I had visited it, but even if you hadn't, she makes it very easy to picture the island and the situation and hardships the people faced as well. It is also a true testament of the human spirit. It is definitely a book you will not put down and will want to keep. I liked it so much I bought my Mom a copy (after telling her all about my trip), and even though she has never been to Greece, she really enjoyed the book as well. It also lets the reader experience the true spirit and lifestyle of the Greeks. Like most people who have had the privilege of spending time in Greece, I am absolutely in love with the Greeks and their culture. Beautiful book. I would highly recommend it to anyone!
on December 14, 2012
Once I started the book I didn't want to put it down. Characters were believable. Lived in Italy when I read the book, sent it to Nova Scotia for my Mom to read, she sent it on to her sister in law who then passed it on to my cousins.
on July 14, 2011
This is a lovely summer read and it is an important book for Crete. It really gives you a great sense of the rich fabric of people and their customs from 1930-1960.
This book has become a television series in Greece.
on May 28, 2014
I absolutely loved this book, couldn't put it down. I loved the characters and it was such a pleasure to read, no boring parts. Highly recommend it.
on September 24, 2013
Very absorbing story--- didn't want it to end. I have read all three of Victoria Hislop's novels, and hope there will be another.
on December 25, 2012
For a good read, whether its your first time, excellent. Perfect gift, so many smiles from the opening of the book
on April 27, 2015
Not interested in reading this book
on September 20, 2008
A friend of mine had bought this book and she recommended it to me. Let me tell you I could not put it down. The author wrote so meticulously and beautifully, I could feel every emotion in this book. It was so detailed I felt like I was watching these characters and could feel their pain, sorrow and happiness.
I now recommend this book to everyone I know. I won't tell you the details on the story line, I want everyone to experience it like I did.
I can't wait to read other books from Victoria.
Well done!
on November 19, 2009
i offered it as a gift and my friend can't put it down. she is definitely getting the return as a Christmas gift!
on November 22, 2007
This is a beautifully written book, full of hope, despair, love, anger. The book traces a family history in the shadow of Spinaloga, an island off the coast of Crete. Anyone who has ever been to Crete and fallen in love with the place and it's people, as my husband and I did, must read this book.