biss Up to 40% Off CBC's Canada Reads 2016 Shortlist boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: HardcoverChange

on December 3, 2010
This book is amazing in every aspect. It's not only a stunning design (cover and page spreads) - but it's clever, witty, entertaining and informative. I've purchased 2 copies as gifts, and one for myself. Thanks Ian for putting in the research and effort to produce such an amazing book!
on March 20, 2012
Excellent book but some of the Whiskies are impossible to found here in Canada or USA. Except for that everything is perfect
Thanks!
on August 6, 2012
Ian Buxton writes a good whisky guide, but omits some of the whiskies I feel deserve inclusion (glenkinchie for example) in favor of multiple malts from a single maker. The nicest thing about this guide is that it's reasonable. No 5,000 dollar bottles found here.
When I got this book, I was a little disappointed. It's small, about the size of a paperback, and the entries are alphabetical with no ratings. Then I read the introduction and a few of the entries and changed my mind. Ratings, as the author points out, are too subjective, and in a subject like whisky where an individual's tastes vary so much, entirely meaningless. The alphabetical order makes sense then, because there is no "best". Instead, each entry has a brief description of the whisky, the distillery, some author's notes (such as how good the food at the distillery's café is!), and some comments about the whisky smell and taste. The end of the book has a one-page guide to actually tasting and enjoying whisky.

I ended up paging through this book to compare the notes Buxton has with some of my own observations. I usually have a dozen or so whiskeys on the shelf (not all opened at the same time) so it was nice to read his comments about a whisky before I opened and tasted: and that set the benchmark of my tastes against his. There's a few reviews I don't agree with, but the vast majority I find I agree completely. Now, I end up having a glance at a new whisky I haven't tried before I go buy a new bottle, and that has broadened both my knowledge and enjoyment of whiskey. Not bad for a reasonably priced book! Recommended!
on January 21, 2014
This book gives great suggestions from bottle to buy to more expensive glass to order in bars and you will know precisely why.
on July 10, 2015
Fun read. Although it's a highly personal overview of world whiskies that the author finds interesting (for some reason), there's lots of great information to mull over. Some of the selections seem a bit odd - but the author makes it clear that this is not intended as a "best of" book. Instead, take it for what it is - a personal journey through interesting whiskies.
on January 6, 2014
and they loved it, its easy, comprehensive and has a wide range of whiskeys to try that are not all in the crazy expensive range.
on December 7, 2014
It was a gift to someone else and I received no comment but I see that he ordered for more as gifts!
on November 18, 2014
nice small book
on July 15, 2014
Working my way through the list. Great resource.