Format: Hardcover|Change

on June 23, 2016
Fresh, amazing, unique, spellbinding. I simply could not put the book down.
When I read books, I am always looking not just for a great story but also for the pleasure of reading. The reading pleasure comes from the writing itself. And this book is beautifully written. The story grabs you from the first page, and slowly builds up, leaving you craving to know more.
waiting for the 3rd book is the hardest part now.
on May 16, 2016
If he would have published the 3rd book in the trilogy within a decade after the 2nd book I would have given the first and second books a 5 star rating, but he hasn't. My question is " how in the hell can there be 100's of rating of the third book when it consists of only a title? I guess there is no end to the idiocy out there.
on May 6, 2016
If Ken Follett were to write a fantasy novel it would most likely resemble "The Name of the Wind". This is an epic tale told from the beginning of the lead characters journey through life. It is as complete a character development story as I've read in any of the modern literature I've come across.

Don't let the idea of character development dissuade you from reading this novel. As a reader I was always drawn into the characters and the story. Rothfuss has a way of making a simple cart ride down a road into something dramatic and engaging. All of his characters are complex and fun to follow. Rothfuss has done a fine job of writing well crafted characters while keeping the story light and immensely readable.

This first novel in "The Kingkiller Chroncles" follows the youth of the to be legend, Kvothe. It is told mostly in the first person but doesn't suffer from the fist person drawl that many novels fall down on. There is plenty of dialogue to break things up and the past is presented as if it were happening in the moment. This allows the reader to maintain a connection to the characters and propels the immediacy needed to keep the story flowing.

This really is a fantastic novel and I look forward to reading the next chapter in this series.
on May 20, 2016
In a gale of fantasy Novels all clamouring to be heard, Patrick Rothfuss' "in the name of the wind" is a refreshing ocean breeze. Ok....at least his writing is a heck of a lot better than mine....or any author I have read in a very long time. His flowing writing style draws you into his world completely. An absolute must for those that have read fantasy for so long they fear they may not find the magic they felt when they first picked up the genre. You will not be disappointed here.
on September 26, 2009
A+ for "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss.

The author comes in as a relative unknown in the fantasy genre with this stunning debut. I was browsing message boards on the best (recent) fantasy novels and this was recommended to me. One of the best parts about the book is the ease of the reading. I couldn't book this book down. The prose was tight, and I think every chapter adds something to greater understanding of one of the main characters, or the interesting but still relatively unexplored setting. Despite its length, you will devour this novel if you like fantasy and character driven action.

A few other reviews point out that this book is LONG. That is most certainly the case, but I absolutely believe that the book is still well-paced and eminently readable. Full of love and loss and music, this book should not be missed by anyone who calls themselves a fan of fantasy.
on June 3, 2011
I really enjoyed this novel mainly because of its focus on the teenage years of a hero in the making. Many have commented on the writing style, which may be unusual in the fantasy world but not much in literature as a whole. In my opinion, what makes this novel truly different is its emphasis on the learning years of Kvothe.

As mentioned by other reviewers, the story pace is on the slow side without being too slow or too long in my view. I was never bored at any point while reading this novel. There is one thing that has bothered me however and it is the fact that there is no proper ending to this novel. I know and understand that this is only the first part of a trilogy, but there is no climax near the end of the novel or any form of conclusion to any of the main story plots. I was left with a "now what?" kind of feeling. I would have preferred a more defined separation between this first tome and the next one. I will be the first to admit that this is a small issue.
on May 11, 2016
Received this recommendation from many friends. Was advised that the series would be a compelling read. This the first book of the series I read and had a hard time putting it down. A great mix of fantasy, heartbreak, and the young heart's first love.
on November 12, 2014
It has its moments, but I feel that the world is bland and the story is targeted at a younger audience who might enjoy a tale about a flawless, multiply-gifted hero (who does nothing particularly interesting). I'm unlikely to read the next book.
on April 21, 2015
Out of all the fantasy authors to appear out of the mists in the last five-to-ten years, Patrick Rothfuss is perhaps the greatest. The man is a true artist, who creates engaging characters, exciting tales, and a realistic, but not overly-dark, fantasy world. His characters, with their pettiness, their lusts, their heroism, their kindness, their cruelty, and everything in-between, truly seem to come to life. I have encountered very few authors in my life whom I respect as much as this man, and if you have not yet read his books...do so. You won't regret it.
on August 31, 2009
While the first couple chapters dragged a little for me, the rest of the 650+ page book was incredibly enjoyable. Rothfuss avoids something that many fantasy authors lately are unfortunately getting trapped in, namely over describing every little detail of everything and everyone in the book. Yes the grass is emerald green lush and inviting, I get it, move on already. I recommend this book to everyone it is quite possibly battling its way to the top of my favorites list.