5.0 out of 5 stars A+ for "The Name of the Wind"
A+ for "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss.

Published on Sept. 26 2009 by Zafri M.

3.0 out of 5 stars well written and engaging but a tad long.
Not much else to say. There is a good story here but it is a long one. It does not, in fact, fit into this book. To me that creates a conundrum about the story and the telling. On the one hand I never truly lost interest in what I was being told but, on the other, how much of it was necessary to the story. Length is not the issue. There are many wonderful and long...
Published 13 months ago by NM

5.0 out of 5 stars A+ for "The Name of the Wind", Sept. 26 2009
A+ for "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss.

The author comes in as a relative unknown in the fantasy genre with this stunning debut. I was browsing message boards on the best (recent) fantasy novels and this was recommended to me. One of the best parts about the book is the ease of the reading. I couldn't book this book down. The prose was tight, and I think every chapter adds something to greater understanding of one of the main characters, or the interesting but still relatively unexplored setting. Despite its length, you will devour this novel if you like fantasy and character driven action.

A few other reviews point out that this book is LONG. That is most certainly the case, but I absolutely believe that the book is still well-paced and eminently readable. Full of love and loss and music, this book should not be missed by anyone who calls themselves a fan of fantasy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous debut, July 17 2010
Brian Ashe "Fantast" (Ottawa, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Name Of The Wind, The (Paperback)
This is the best first novel I've read in the fantasy genre in quite a few years. Certainly better than Lynch (definitely better than his second), better than Kirkpatrick or Bakker. Why? Because it flows. The language is used in a smoother and better narrative. When the flow breaks, it's for a reason; the plot or the character development requires it. This man is a craftsman of the language. It helps that the story is told in one voice, that of Kvothe. No need to switch dialect or tempo between characters except when they speak. Then the dialogue flows like real speech, stops and turns and side slips.

The story itself has some surprising twists, the minor characters do unexpected things, and things are often what they're not. It's full of humour and loss and love and music and food. And of course, trying to save the world from ancient evil. Or maybe not. At the end of the book, it is definitely not yet clear what has already happened, or what is about to. So I'm waiting for book two.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like fantasy, you MUST read this book., Nov. 18 2009
Kooky "Jooky" (Niagara Falls, Canada) - See all my reviews
Do you ever read a book and connect with it so much that you feel as though you are actually immersed in the fantasy? The Name of the Wind does just that. It Immerses you in a story that will stay with you long after you finish reading. I have recommended this book to several friends. Everyone who I have suggested it to, has thanked me repeatedly for telling them about it. You will not miss with this book - REALLY.
Many have suggested that this is an adult version of Harry Potter. Although there are a few similarities (I guess), I do not feel that that is the case, even if that puts this book in good company.
This is the story of a legendary hero that tells "his story" to a biographer who recognises him. What makes this neat, is the story flips from his life story to present time fluidly and perfectly, and you find yourself interested in what is happening in both time frames; as though two major plots are unfolding at the same time.
If you read fantasy you MUST read this book. I read a large amount of this genre, and this more than stacks up to major classic titles. The only downer is that this is book one of three, and the other two are not out yet. But...I can't wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, June 9 2014
I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good story. I do not usually like 'fantasy' books, but although this book is set in an 'other worldly' setting, at its core it is an amazingly well written story.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good and ambitious debut, Feb. 9 2007
Patrick St-Denis "editor of Pat's Fantasy Hot... (Laval, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Name of the Wind (Hardcover)
You may or may not have heard of Patrick Rothfuss' debut. Word is beginning to spread around the internet, so chances are that you'll be hearing more and more about this one soon. Last fall I received an email from Rothfuss' agent, Matt Bialer, asking me if I'd consider reading an ARC of The Name of the Wind. Bialer revealed that Betsy Wollheim, Daw Books' president, considered the novel the best fantasy debut she's ever read in over 30 years as an editor. Well, let it be said that a lot less is required to pique my curiosity! Both wanted me to be one of the first reviewers to get a crack at it, and I wish to thank them for thinking of me. Apparently they respect my reviews. . . Imagine that!;-)

Of course, when a debut comes with such high praise on its front cover, it's impossible to treat it as just another debut. For obvious reasons, all of a sudden you find yourself judging it against works such as Robert Jordan's The Eye of the World, Tad Williams' The Dragonbone Chair, George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones, Stephen R. Donaldson's Lord Foul's Bane, and other opening chapters of superior series. Understandably, this can have positive as well as negative repercussions.

In a nutshell, The Name of the Wind recounts the tale of Kvothe, a young man destined to become the most powerful wizard the world has ever seen. It begins with Kvothe's childhood years, first as a member of a traveling troupe of musicians and artists, and then as a street urchin forced to fend for himself in a violent environment. Later, the story shifts to his adolescence, at a time when he is admitted to the University, renowned school of magic.

Reading along, I found the structure of the story a little odd. The better part of the novel is comprised of Kvothe's back story, with only a few scenes occurring in "real time." Having never encountered something like it, I discussed it with Betsy Wollheim. She did shine some light on the matter, and it turns out that Rothfuss' first trilogy will focus on the main character's past, with occasional tantalizing hints of things to come. A second trilogy will then recount Kvothe's "present" tale.

The Name of the Wind is told in a first person narrative. Hence, other than those "real time" segments told in the third person, most of the book is told from Kvothe's perspective. Those who have a problem with single-POV narratives similar to that of Robin Hobb's The Farseer and The Tawny Man trilogies, consider yourselves warned. The main danger in using the first person narrative is that the entire story rests on the shoulder of a single character. If you like Kvothe, terrific. If you don't, that's where it gets tricky. I had no problem with that facet of the novel, but I'm acutely aware that some readers don't care much for the first person perspective.

The worldbuilding doesn't play a big role in this debut. And yet, Rothfuss hints at a much vaster depth, hopefully to be explored in future sequels. The author has an eye for details, and the story does come alive as you turn the pages. The magic system appears to be well thought of and interesting, and I'm eager to learn more about it.

The Name of the Wind is a character-driven book. As a first person narrative, it can't be anything but that. The supporting cast is composed of a relatively small number of characters, which is rather rare for a book of this size. I'm looking forward to learning more about them in the upcoming installments.

The novel suffers from only one flaw -- a flaw shared by various Daw books: it's too long. I feel that Rothfuss' attention to details slows the pace in several portions of the book. Now, the tentative pagination of The Name of the Wind weighs in at 904 pages, making this debut a heavyweight. I feel that some scenes could have been truncated and others excised without the readers missing out on any major plotlines. In my opinion, this would quicken the rhythm and improve the overall quality of the book.

Unlike some debuts that are not easily accessible -- Hal Duncan's Vellum and Steven Erikson's Gardens of the Moon come to mind -- I'm persuaded that The Name of the Wind can appeal to both neophytes and long-time fans of the genre. As such, it's similar to both Brandon Sanderson's Elantris and Joe Abercrombie's The Blade Itself in that regard. It's also a throwback work, which brought fantasy novels likes Raymond E. Feist's Magician and David Eddings' Pawn of the Prophecy to mind.

Although a bit overlong, The Name of the Wind is a solid and ambitious effort. Two years ago I would have claimed that it could well be the debut of the year. But Hal Duncan and Scott Lynch have forced us to look at debuts in a different way. Still, Patrick Rothfuss wrote an auspicious debut, and I'm curious to discover the rest of Kvothe's tale.

Patrick

For more reviews, interviews, book giveaways and more, check out [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I've read in years!, Aug. 31 2009
Chanelle Lammers (Canada) - See all my reviews
While the first couple chapters dragged a little for me, the rest of the 650+ page book was incredibly enjoyable. Rothfuss avoids something that many fantasy authors lately are unfortunately getting trapped in, namely over describing every little detail of everything and everyone in the book. Yes the grass is emerald green lush and inviting, I get it, move on already. I recommend this book to everyone it is quite possibly battling its way to the top of my favorites list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book., Nov. 25 2008
A good book, worth a read and your money. I found it a light, quick read, that was entertaining. I thought it was well written, and had good development, and would be suitable for younger readers as well as older. I look forward to the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, Aug. 3 2009
Jean-Francois Mallet (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Name of the Wind (Hardcover)
I liked this book. His concept of magic was interesting with a little link to physic and science. The end of the book lack a proper conclusion even for a first book of a series. It leaves a lot of loose end which is normal but I would have prefer a bigger accomplishment or a better cliffhanger to end it. Waiting anxiously for the second book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story - so well told and written, Sept. 2 2014
Great story and more to the point - great writing. Perhaps the book seems long, but the characters are very copmpelling, and the world the Rothfuss creates is so original and smart. Nothing is predictable or given away - his ability to story-tell is magnificent. It means I am looking forward to "Day Two" - even if it is 1,110 pages long!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, Nov. 1 2009
This is a book I will keep on the shelf to reread many times over the years. I enjoyed the storyline, the new method of working magic and all the small details down to coinage that made the world come alive, and felt myself become very invested in the characters. I'll be waiting for the sequel.

The Name of the Wind
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Hardcover - March 27 2007)
CDN$ 36.00 CDN$ 22.57