5.0 out of 5 stars Don't know about Ashely but...
for the price the best book on knots there is & I bought (and returned them all :-)
Very complete concerning how to use the knots, and their terminology. Little pictograms in the upperhand corner show it's intended uses, and takes you through all the various types of material and how to prepare it for your work. But the real point is can you replicate the knot...
Published on Aug. 10 2003 by Georgina

3.0 out of 5 stars Generally good, but frequently confusing
This is overall a good book, with some interesting knots and useful illustrations. At times, however--more frequently than is acceptable--I have found the instructions a little too telegraphic and the illustrations completely mysterious. For instance, the illustrations sometimes seem to change orientation from one step to the next with no word of warning. At other times,...
Published on Jan. 15 2002 by Michael R. Rhum

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the smaller books on knots, Nov. 16 2000
William J Roberts (Gainesville, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Handbook Of Knots (Paperback)
I was truly surprised by Pawson's book. From the reviews of others, I was expecting a good deal, and hoped it would be as good as Morrow's Guide to Knots, but adding some information not included in that very good book. When the book arrived, it seemed so slim (actually 160 pages, however) and compact, I couldn't see how it could compare.
However, it's a marvel in presenting a wealth of information very clearly. I think it is considerably more informative than the Morrow book, and also gives clearer explanations and illustrations.
It has very many useful knots that Morrow and most other small books do not have, such as the Alpine Butterfly, Ashley's Bend, Buntline Hitch, and the Klemheist knot, gives good information on splicing that Morrow completely omits, and has a lot of useful tips everywhere. The illustrations are truly first rate.
I was surprised though at the omission of the tautline hitch or Tarbuck knot (either would have sufficed). Indeed there were no "ratcheting" loop knots given that slide open or closed to the degree desired, then locked -- a truly useful class of knot that shouldn't have been omitted. If another knot had to go to make room, the only two that could have gone, in my opinion, are the Jury Mast Knot and the Thief Knot. (Admittedly, the Thief Knot is interesting, and I guess that if you need the Jury Mast Knot, you REALLY need it. But that's not one person in 10,000 these days.)
Morrow's is probably more complete for the fisherman.
I highly recommended "The Handbook of Knots" as a first book on knots, and for most people it will really be all that they ever need, except for the sliding loop knot omission. But if you do need a sliding knot, the Tautline Hitch is actually a Rolling Hitch tied on its own standing part after looping around the object being hitched, so since the book gives the Rolling Hitch, if you know this relationship between the knots, then you're all set and probably won't ever really need another book.
Unless you become fascinated by the subject, in which case you'll need Ashley's book.
Overall, Pawson's book sets a new standard among the smaller, conveniently-sized, highly practical knot books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good....and simple, July 11 2000
This review is from: Handbook Of Knots (Paperback)
Not overly complex or too simplistic, this book covers the basics. Color photgraphy is good. In some areas more detail would have been appreciated. Overall, a gem!

4.0 out of 5 stars A must have!, Jan. 26 2000
David Ewan (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Handbook Of Knots (Paperback)
I consider this book a "must have". It is compact (travels well) and is very well illustrated. The instructions are very easy to follow. Anyone who camps, hikes or sails should have a copy. Makes a great gift (e.g. Christmas stocking stuffer).

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect introduction to knots !, Jan. 7 2000
Kent L. Estes "KLestes" (Greater Ozark, MS) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Handbook Of Knots (Paperback)
For my first work, I started with Ashely's bible on knots.However, that was far and away too authoritative - with thousands ofknots at my disposal, I had no idea what the most important were.
I needed a succinct introduction.
Pawson delivers just that. A "fine little book" it is indeed - yet in this modest, superbly illustrated volume lurk about one hundred important knots - most are very useful, some are decorative, and all are rewarding.
If Ashely's work is the college of knot tying, this would be my vote for the textbook for "Knots 101 - the adventure begins !" END

4.0 out of 5 stars clear instruction great photographs good book for all, Oct. 20 1999
This review is from: Handbook Of Knots (Paperback)
This book is good for all but it is great for first timers. Has most of the knots you could want...but of course not all. I'm still looking for a knot book to compliment this one. I've been looking at a lot of knot books and this one is a very well rounded book. If your going to only have one knot book..this is the one

1.0 out of 5 stars Lot's of esoteric Knots, Not very useful as a reference, March 26 1999
This review is from: Handbook Of Knots (Paperback)
I found the diagrams difficult to follow although the color photographs were well done. This was akward to use as a reference manual. I would prefer a spiral bound book which faclitates tying of the knot while the book is open.It is difficult to follow the knot and keep this book open to the appropriate page.I ended up returning this book for a credit.

5.0 out of 5 stars very useful!, Feb. 6 1999
This review is from: Handbook Of Knots (Paperback)
After checking this book out from the library I've decided I need my own copy. ;) The photos are so clear even a fumblefingers like me can follow them!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a Great Book!!, Nov. 25 1998
This review is from: Handbook Of Knots (Paperback)
I've enjoied this book to the maximum. It is a complete reference for the amateur & the serious crafter&sailor. I recomend it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, beautifully illustrated, simple instructions, Oct. 11 1998
This review is from: Handbook Of Knots (Paperback)
This book is much more than just how to tie knots. Rope construction, care, storing, and handling techniques are also clearly presented.
The use of colored illustrations is capitalized on superbly. Different colored ropes are used to maximum effect where appropriate to give a clear picture of how a properly tied knot should look.
Knots are grouped by type. Instructions for each knot are presented succintly, with steps and well chosen words accompanied with colored photographs showing hand positions with the ropes. (There is a nice touch of cultural diversity just simply there unobtrusively in the hands.) Anyone can readily learn how to tie any of these knots without having to read and re-read instructions.
The relative pros and cons of similar knots are included.
Even if one were never to tie any of these knots, one could derive pleasure from looking at the beautiful illustrations and the ingenious variety of knots that we humans have invented for specific applications. Just leafing through this book gives one a sense of mankind's history and the technological evolution that necessitated we design these knots for quite practical, and in some cases, esthetic reasons.

5.0 out of 5 stars If knot now, then braid, Oct. 22 2002
This review is from: Handbook Of Knots (Paperback)
As a pacifist and a professional bank robber let me just say that this text is indispensable. Danger is inherent to my line of work. Most of my colleges are dangerous and well armed. My personal credo is money is not worth getting hurt over but sometimes I must disable some of my clients as I go about my work and that is why I give this book 5 stars. After studying this book I can guarantee if I ever have the pleasure of meeting you in a bank you may be immobilized but you will be in a comfortable position as I do my job until the authorities show up to release you.
No matter your profession if you have any need or desire to learn proper knot work this is the text for you.
Good luck and keep those deposits coming.

ARRAY(0xb393f8e8)

Handbook Of Knots Expanded Edition
Handbook Of Knots Expanded Edition by Des Pawson (Paperback - June 21 2004)
Used & New from: CDN$ 3.00