5.0 out of 5 stars Super! Wonderful! Excellent! Stupendous! Best!
A thesaurus is an indispensable aid for writers - sometimes the right word is just on the tip of the tongue (or, more to the case, perhaps the tip of the finger), but refuses to come forward. Sometimes one has high praise for something, but doesn't want to use the word 'super' over and over again.
Roget's thesaurus has multiple styles of entries - main entries...
Published on Nov. 26 2005 by FrKurt Messick

3.0 out of 5 stars Why so tiny?
This thesaurus really is perfect. The most comprehensive I have ever seen. But the font is too small to read comfortably for most rather elderly adults. Do buy the Paperback edition, whose font is a litter bigger.
Published on Nov. 1 2002 by Ryoichi Kato

5.0 out of 5 stars Super! Wonderful! Excellent! Stupendous! Best!, Nov. 26 2005
FrKurt Messick "FrKurt Messick" (Bloomington, IN USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Roget's thesaurus has multiple styles of entries - main entries highlighted from the text, subentries that are very close relatives of the main entries, secondary entries that lead back to main entries cross-referenced, and variant spelling forms of words. For the main entries, there is a definition of dictionary variety before the synonyms are presented. Sometimes words have multiple meanings, and the synonym for one meaning might be inappropriate for another meaning, so the main entries break down these multiple pieces for ease of use.
Primary entries have definitions, usage examples, and synonyms; secondary entries lack the examples, and cross-reference to major entries. Homographs (words spelled the same way with different meanings) are also split into multiple entries based on this variation of meaning.
Roget's Thesaurus also uses standard dictionary labeling, so that one can identify the part of speech (noun, verb, etc.), as well as other identifying information (slang terms, informal, regional, etc.). Variations are very interesting to discover, as different words have meanings that go beyond their standard usage.
A thesaurus is a very valuable tool for those who wish to increase their vocabulary, as well as increase the richness of their spoken and written language in actual practice - it is not uncommon for one to know the words listed, but to have the presence of mind to use alternative words is another matter. Dipping into a thesaurus on an occasional basis yields rewards; plunging in on a regular basis will really enhance the command of the language.
There are few sources as adequate to the task as Roget's.

2.0 out of 5 stars Merely a synonym finder, Dec 18 2003
halda (World Wide Interweb Network Machine) - See all my reviews
The built-in thesaurus in my version of Microsoft Word was more comprehensive. Not recommended for professional use, maybe for pre-college students. It's at least a portable (if not terribly useful) little tome. You're better off upgrading to a real Roget's.

4.0 out of 5 stars In Dictionary Format, Nov. 3 2003
Debbie Lee Wesselmann (the Lehigh Valley, PA) - See all my reviews
I never use my online thesaurus because it always seems to fall short, sometimes laughably so. With Roget's dictionary format thesaurus, I'm able to page with ease through several entries to locate the exact word or phrase I want. I can skip through the hilarious substitutions to locate the one perfect for my needs. Because I grew up using the dictionary format, I find myself at ease in this newly updated version that includes many entries of contemporary phrases.
Thesauri should be used with care, as the numerous choices can end up making sentences overly formal and stilted. If used sparingly, however, this volume makes a strong addition to any reference shelf.

4.0 out of 5 stars QUICK BUT VERY REDUNDANT, Dec 28 2002
It helps save time with its dictionary format at the expense of space and content. Would be much better if it just had crossreferences instead of repeating lists over and over.

3.0 out of 5 stars Why so tiny?, Nov. 1 2002
Ryoichi Kato (Yokohama, Kanagawa Japan) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb resource, Oct. 1 2002
Chris Salzer (Gainesville, GA United States) - See all my reviews
Roget's 21st Century Thesaurus is simply a must when traversing through wordy literature, writing essays, or just simply looking up definitions and synonyms. I had been using the online thesaurus and Roget's New World Thesaurus, but due to their lack of completeness and their continual ability to frustrate me to no end I ordered this handy version.
I found Roget's 21st Century Thesaurus to be surprisingly complete(957 pages) for its low price. Particularly useful is the Concepts Thesaurus at the end of the book where it lists 837 concepts and their synonyms such as action verbs and abstract qualities according to their subject and usage. I often find myself perusing through it in order to increase my vocabulary or just for fun when I'm bored. A must have for everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm much too young to be this danged old, Aug. 15 2002
TundraVision (o/~ from the Land of Sky Blue Waters o/~) - See all my reviews
I started word processing with good old Word Perfect for DOS - which was the "Cadillac" of its time. It had a fine Thesaurus utility. Alas, my printer died and when I got a new one, it would not "speak" to my old Friend WP DOS. So I was forced into Billy Gates' Microsoft Word - and the Thesaurus just isn't as good.
Tardily, (one could argue from my previous reviews,) I broke down and got this "Library Binding" (good choice! Durable, but not as expensive as hard cover) book. It combines the best of both approaches - Dictionary and "concept" groupings. I have perused the beginning and end and parts in-between, but have found no symbol key. It appears, though, that an asterisk* after a suggested replacement cautions slang, for instance - "affront: ... dump on*" But how then to explain:
"good: acceptable, ace*, admirable, agreeable, bad, boss*,..." Note that there is no asterisk appearing after "bad," which is properly not accepted as a synonym for "good."
Nonetheless, if one is savvy ("acumen, awareness, comprehension...") enough to avoid potential pitfalls and detrimental reliance, this is a pretty good book. The bad news is that, in order to fit all this good stuff into a portable 957 pages, the print/font is reduced to "I'm old enough to remember the entire uncut first release of Inna Godda Da Vida and I gotta squint and move the page in and out to read this" size.

5.0 out of 5 stars The easiest one to use of the bunch, Aug. 29 2001
StevieQ (Castro Valley, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I've bought several thesauri over the years, including good ole Roget's International, but this one by Barbara Kipfer is by far my favorite because it strikes just the right balance between ease of use and comprehensiveness. Roget's International is undoubtedly the king still for comprehensiveness. Unfortunately, Roget's International is also the most onerous to use, so much so that I rarely ever touch it anymore. Other thesauruses on the market in dictionary format, such as Roget II or Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Thesaurus, are very easy to use, but unfortunately they have few synonyms under each entry. This thesaurus by Kipfer, on the other hand, is just right. I give it five stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars They have taken the name "ROGET'S" and run with it!!!, July 30 2001
Nancy Moran (Baltimore, Maryland USA) - See all my reviews
This stinker is in DICTIONARY format. DICTIONARY format is not, to use a euphemism, for the (another euphemism) intelligensia.
The thing is overfat and the typeface is so tiny not even my best bifocals are not able to [whoops! need a REAL thesaurus].
Go for the Roget's International. That one is in TRADITIONAL format: a word list in the back with reference to a number leading to a logical IDEA-ORIENTED section towards the front.
This stinker is nothing more than a LEXICON FOR DUMMIES!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An ocean of words I enjoy swimming in!, Jan. 25 2001
Myrr (Midwest, United States) - See all my reviews
"Thesaurus" is Latin for "treasury", but all the editions that I came across in my long search of a good one had been anything but. They were either too bulky or too brief, severely abridged or arranged by concepts (!) with alphabetical index at the end. Looking for the right word in these circumstances caused me excruciating pain, both mental and physical. I was in great danger of being sucked in by a tornado of strange, confusing, irrelevant words.
Thankfully, I discovered this book. And what a treasury it is! The dictionary format, 450,000 entries, 1 million word results, a wonderful concept index on the back which shows how a word fits into a pool of similar ones - these are only some of the many highlights of this edition. Not only do I keep it by my side every time I sit down to write, but often look into it for pure pleasure, partaking of the wealth it stores.

Roget's 21st Century Thesaurus: In Dictionary Form: The Essential Reference for Home, School, or Office
CDN$ 16.97
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available