5.0 out of 5 stars Yoga and the Wisdom of Menopause, July 18 2003
This review is from: Yoga and the Wisdom of Menopause: A Guide to Physical, Emotional and Spiritual Health at Midlife and Beyond (Paperback)
I read Suza Francina's book, "Yoga and the Wisdom of Menopause" because I am a yoga student and a menopausal women. I am also a nurse working in women's healthcare. I was pleasantly suprised to find that this book helped me on a personal level as well as a professional level.
The book is a wealth of information that can answer many questions regarding menopause and what our bodies might endure.
The book explains how yoga can support one's health during the menopause transition. Topic's discussed are hormonal balance, fatique, hot flahes, pelvic health, osteoporosis, cancer, and heart disease. The book shows how yoga can help women with any of these health concerns. The yoga poses suggested to relieve side effects of menopause are clearly described and illustrated with photographs.
This book is very inspiring and I highly recommend it to my associates, clients and friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yoga and the wisdom of menopause, July 5 2003
C. Meek (Oak View, CA USA) - See all my reviews
The book contains wonderful stories of how yoga has helped women before, during and after menopause. The stories put a personal and real touch on the face of menopause and related health issues, such as osteoporosis, arthritis, and recovery from cancer. It's an inspirational book that helps us understand how yoga can transform -- physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
A definite keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Soulful Namaste' to Suza for sharing her Wisdom!, Sept. 13 2003
"mpatriceyoga" (Ojai, CA

Ojai, CA.) - See all my reviews

It is an honor to write a review for Suza Francina's new book Yoga and the Wisdom of Menopause. I began my yoga practice with Suza over 20 years ago. Her inspiration led me to train as an Iyengar yoga instructor. After practicing with her through our pregnancies,we even gave birth on the same day! Now at the threshold of our menopausal years,I find her newest tome to be an invaluable resource for myself as well as many of my students.Her experience,along with many of her students personal stories invite the reader to feel less isolated and at ease as we make this transitional journey together. The technical aspect of the book is superb with clearly defined directions and the use of supportive props,thereby encouraging the deep restorative effect while remaining in the pose for a longer period of time. Suza has also chosen a variety of models who represent all body types. This dispells an old myth of the "perfect yoga body."Again, this illustrates her inclusivity as she celebrates and invites all women from every walk of life to nurture and balance themselves emotionally, physically and spiritually. I have watched her over the years experiment, resarch and gather her material to write this enlightening book. She has come back up from the depths of her study with an extraordinary pearl.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have for Women of All Ages, Nov. 4 2003
K. Coburn (Ojai, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Yoga and The Wisdom of Menopause is a great companion and asset to have as I approach and soon start to cross over that menopausal bridge. I especially liked the photos of real women our age and their testimonies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Students' response to the sequences, June 25 2003
For almost two years, I have been teaching Iyengar yoga to mostly seniors. The average age of the students is 75; the age range runs from 25 to 84.
The classes the city offers last ten weeks, and last week was the last week in one of these ten week sessions. Since the last week usually has lower attendance, I promised the class we would do a sequence from Francina's book for fatigue and adrenal exhaustion.
To make a long story short, I forgot what I had promised and didn't have all the props I needed in this larger than usual class. Boy, did the students let me know that I had promised them this sequence.
I shouldn't have been surprised.Whenever I have used a sequence from this book, the students have loved it and commented on the "good class." From an instructor's point of view, the book is well organized, the content is explained well, and makes a wonderful reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable!, June 13 2008
JP Rayne (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This book is a timeless classic ... especially in this day of doctors prescribing pharmaceuticals for just about anything that ails you. A 'must-have' for women during the midlife time of change, Suza writes with compassion and hard-earned wisdom, presenting a wealth of experience and inspiring stories. The great thing is - you can start where you are - relief can be felt immediately.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Gift!, July 22 2003
Yoga and the Wisdom of Menopause is an amazing gift! It is so rich, well researched, sensible, and insightful. I hope women everywhere read it. This book will be the bible for women everywhere moving into their power years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource, June 17 2003
Carin A. Seebold (Beaumont, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Whether you are premenopausal, menopausal or post menopausal, Suza Francina's newest book has something for you. "Yoga and the Wisdom of Menopause" offers advice and specific yoga poses to practice for hormonal changes, mood swings, fatigue, hot flashes, osteoporosis, stress and heart health among others. I was adamantly opposed to HRT and feel practicing yoga during my premenopausal years made my transition so much easier. I loved Suza's first book, "The New Yoga for People Over 50", and this new one is filled to the brim with her research on menopause and how yoga can be used as a tool to balance the effects of the natural hormonal and glandular changes of menopause. I consider it an excellent resource and highly recommend it for women seeking alternative methods of dealing with this natural mid-life transition.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wealth of wisdom, June 10 2003
As a woman entering menopause, I have found this book to be packed with valuable information. Francina does not merely make claims for yoga postures -- she backs up those claims with scientific explanations, and goes into great detail describing the effect menopause has on the on the different glands of the body, then recommends postures to help deal with different situations (hot flashes, insomnia, etc.). I recently had comprehensive bloodwork done by my M.D., which indicated poorly functioning adrenals. My M.D. had no advice to give to correct the situation -- but lo and behold, Francina's book addresses the specific problem, saying that it's a common occurrence during/before menopause. She prescribes specific asanas (postures), which I have been doing regularly. I find them to be energizing and enormously helpful in reducing stress.

5.0 out of 5 stars visionary perspective, May 13 2003
By A Customer
As a man who is involved with a woman undergoing menopause, I read this book with keen interest. What I found most remarkable about it is what I would call its visionary perspective. The author is evidently engaged in a far deeper project than merely providing information about how yoga can help mitigate menopausal symptoms -- although on that basic level the book is thoroughly informative, comprehensive, and practical. But the author's larger purpose is to completely reconceptualize how we think about menopause itself. The many first-person stories, as well as the alternative medical information and the author's own exuberant spirit, all combine to give force and meaning to this visionary perspective. (Having said all that, I have to confess I don't know for sure whether yoga can accomplish all the author claims for it -- I might still end up recommending to the woman I am involved with that she take some form of supplementary hormones! But first I will give her this book!)

CDN$ 17.95 CDN$ 12.96