5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for anyone having or wanting to have a baby!
Published on Aug. 29 2007 by L Bell

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't take the class
I didn't take the class, just read the book. Now it did help some, with my natural birth at home. I had a very easy going labor and birth, I wasn't under hypnosis but I was relaxed and able to cope. I also had the Spiritual Midwifery book by Ina May Gaskin, also recommended.
Published 16 months ago by R&T Casey

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for anyone having or wanting to have a baby!, Aug. 29 2007
This review is from: Hypnobirthing: The breakthrough natural approach to safer, easier, more comfortable birthing - The Mongan Method, 3rd Edition (Paperback)
I saw the hypnobirthing technique featured on an episode of Dateline and was so impressed that I never forgot it. 5 years later, when I was pregnant, this was the required textbook for my hypnobirthing course. I could have saved $220 by just buying the book as I found it more informative than my course! The book guides you through relaxation techniques for the kind of birth that nature intended - natural, drug free and without intervention. Marie Mongan explains exactly how fear entered into the birthing experience and how fear is the cause of the tension and pain experienced during labour. Using the techniques described in the book and the guided relaxation CD included with the book, I was able to deliver my first child naturally and without drugs in 7 hours. I truly believe that this technique helped me reach my natural birthing goals and led to a healthy delivery for both me and my baby as well as an easier recovery postpartum. My only complaint about the book would be that because it is written to a broad audience it discusses the obstacles you may face in seeking a relaxed birthing experience. I worried greatly that I may have to argue with medical staff, worries that were unfounded. I believe that in Canada, doctors and nurses have come a long way in understanding that in order for a woman to have an easier birth, she must feel respected. I did not face challenges in using hypnobirthing, I was instead praised by the doctors and nurses during and after my delivery.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful experience., Nov. 14 2010
J. Jennings - See all my reviews
I had my first child in 2008 with a traumatic labour and delivery. I had no idea what to do and fought my way through it terrified of what i was experiencing. Fighting it made it last longer. Tensing up made it more painful. All things I wanted to avoid when I gave to my second child this past summer. I did my research and read this book. Realized I didn't need to fear birthing because my body could do this on it's own. I had an amazing birth the second time around. I was actually laughing during the pushing phase because I was so relaxed and enjoying giving birth. This book helped prepare my mind for the amazing things my body can do. I didn't need pain medication, my labour was shorter and it was a completely different experience than the first. I definitely recommend this book for anyone that wants to get away from the "flat on your back, medicated procedure" and enter into an amazing birthing experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars It worked! Absolute must for anyone considering a natural labour, Oct. 7 2014
I used these techniques during my natural labour, and now have a 1 week old baby (our first) who was born in a very quick and relaxed way. The techniques don't 100% remove pain, but instead make it extremely manageable, and birthing is for the most part actually enjoyable. I also was able to have several pain-free contractions at the height of the labour. It actually works!!

The book comes with a CD in the back that includes two audio tracks that need to be listened to regularly. The book itself clearly outlines a mentality/philosophy to fully embrace, breathing exercises, meditations, hypnosis, and a ton more. Mongan has a fabulous overview of the history of why birth is experienced so badly by so many north american women. The breathing techniques are a must and need to be practiced a lot for it to work! There's lots of youtube videos that elaborate on the techniques, which I used for further support.

What's nice about the approach is that it cuts out the new age stuff, and sticks to proven techniques. But you can't just flip through the book for it to work. It's really a birth program, so you need to invest the time to practice, and read the book with faith and open mindedness, to reap the rewards.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only time contractions seemed painful at all were while I was not practicing my ..., Aug. 15 2014
hypnobirthing helped me immensely during labor and transition. The only time contractions seemed painful at all were while I was not practicing my relaxation. There is still pressure and lots of work but not pain. Nurses thought I was sleeping through transistion. I practiced a lot. the practice itself was very beneficial. I did not have mood swings and the practice helped me feel calm, rested and excited for the birth.
I bought some other audio but this book was very helpful to learn more about what hypnobirthing is, and the history behind it. The CD was also helpful, although I preferred one track more than the other. I highly recommend hypnobirthing to all pregnant moms, especially if nervous at all about delivery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource, Oct. 2 2009
I heard about HypnoBirthing from a woman who had given birth once without using HypnoBirthing and once with HypnoBirthing. With HypnoBirthing she was able to give birth without any drugs or intervention. When I got pregnant, I purchased the book and did the complimentary course. The book is well written and easy to read. I found the CD and relaxation exercises excellent and helpful not only in labour but also during my pregnancy. I highly recommend this book no matter what type of birth you are planning and hoping for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, Sept. 26 2014
This is a wonderful book and I will be incorporating the techniques in the birthing of my little baby bear. Even though I have not yet taken the actual training course I would think that it is definitely beneficial in addition to the book.

I like the personal tone of the book, all the information is very easy to take in. There are certain sections that I have highlighted and will re-visit before my due date.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very inspiring book!, Nov. 16 2014
I am almost done reading this book, and I certainly do plan on taking the course in my city as well. This book is very inspiring, and I can easily see how the concepts presented in this book can help women to stay calm and focused on the big day, as long as they practice the necessary exercises on breathing and visualizations. I also enjoy listening to the CD that is included. Happy reading everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars We'll let you know if it works in a couple of months., Feb. 14 2010
JonnyP (Chilliwack,BC) - See all my reviews
Very helpful book.
Nice to see different idea's other than....just take medication to "assist" childbirth.
Well worth a read, but you have to re-think the ideas of childbirth that have been pushed on you for decades.
Its natural & the way it should be.
But then again, we are still waiting for our babies arrival, so we will let you know in a couple of months if these ideas work.

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this book - it definitely supported a positive pregnancy ..., Dec 8 2014
I enjoyed this book - it definitely supported a positive pregnancy and labor experience. I did find some of the methods a little 'over the top' but really enjoyed the core message. I would recommend this book to anyone trying to get pregnant or currently pregnant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book, Feb. 3 2011
I took the Mongan Methnod Hypnobirthing class and read the book and found it to be the best thing that I could have done.
It's just really great.I would suggest it to anyone who is planing to have a baby.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›