5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for anyone having or wanting to have a baby!
Published on Aug. 29 2007 by L Bell

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't take the class
I didn't take the class, just read the book. Now it did help some, with my natural birth at home. I had a very easy going labor and birth, I wasn't under hypnosis but I was relaxed and able to cope. I also had the Spiritual Midwifery book by Ina May Gaskin, also recommended.
Published 10 months ago by R&T Casey

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for anyone having or wanting to have a baby!, Aug. 29 2007
This review is from: Hypnobirthing: The breakthrough natural approach to safer, easier, more comfortable birthing - The Mongan Method, 3rd Edition (Paperback)
I saw the hypnobirthing technique featured on an episode of Dateline and was so impressed that I never forgot it. 5 years later, when I was pregnant, this was the required textbook for my hypnobirthing course. I could have saved $220 by just buying the book as I found it more informative than my course! The book guides you through relaxation techniques for the kind of birth that nature intended - natural, drug free and without intervention. Marie Mongan explains exactly how fear entered into the birthing experience and how fear is the cause of the tension and pain experienced during labour. Using the techniques described in the book and the guided relaxation CD included with the book, I was able to deliver my first child naturally and without drugs in 7 hours. I truly believe that this technique helped me reach my natural birthing goals and led to a healthy delivery for both me and my baby as well as an easier recovery postpartum. My only complaint about the book would be that because it is written to a broad audience it discusses the obstacles you may face in seeking a relaxed birthing experience. I worried greatly that I may have to argue with medical staff, worries that were unfounded. I believe that in Canada, doctors and nurses have come a long way in understanding that in order for a woman to have an easier birth, she must feel respected. I did not face challenges in using hypnobirthing, I was instead praised by the doctors and nurses during and after my delivery.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful experience., Nov. 14 2010
J. Jennings - See all my reviews
I had my first child in 2008 with a traumatic labour and delivery. I had no idea what to do and fought my way through it terrified of what i was experiencing. Fighting it made it last longer. Tensing up made it more painful. All things I wanted to avoid when I gave to my second child this past summer. I did my research and read this book. Realized I didn't need to fear birthing because my body could do this on it's own. I had an amazing birth the second time around. I was actually laughing during the pushing phase because I was so relaxed and enjoying giving birth. This book helped prepare my mind for the amazing things my body can do. I didn't need pain medication, my labour was shorter and it was a completely different experience than the first. I definitely recommend this book for anyone that wants to get away from the "flat on your back, medicated procedure" and enter into an amazing birthing experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, June 30 2014
Great read

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, June 23 2014
Danielle (Huntsville, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
After reading this book and doing the meditations I had the most amazing labour and delivery. I didn't even recognize I was in early labour and was able to walk the dog and cook dinner. The technique truly works. I recommend this book to all my pregnant friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Want to avoid a medicalized birth? You must read this book, April 22 2014
With both my wife and I coming from a kinesiology / health background with a good understanding of the human body and how it works, this book makes A LOT of sense. It also explains what my wife was going through and the pain she was feeling when her last birth turned into a full medical monty induction / c-section.
For people looking for a methodology to get them through their labour, I would recommend this book. Women were made to birth, free from fear and pain. I can appreciate medical intervention, but only as needed for the 2-5% of deliveries that have major issues. Fingers crossed, that this book and the hypnobirthing class we are attending in our city will be EXACTLY what my wife needs to have a successful VBAC. The visualization and breathing exercises are great for other future parts of life - getting to sleep easier, relieving stress, re-energizing, etc. Wish we had this resource last time, it would have saved us from so many issues and would have likely resulted in a more calm child after birth!

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good ...will update after baby, Dec 20 2013
I've been reading this book and figured I'd just apply what I read.
I decided to actually take the class last minute and it has been such an invaluable investment so far. You get so much info from this book and the classes really offer more and really open your eyes in to truly understanding, implementing through doing.
Additional material is provided in the class. I highly recommend the class.

I am due in March 2014 and will update this review on how Hypnobirthing affected my experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very empowering book, Nov. 26 2013
Because of being scared of having a cesarean I had been getting terrible dreams of birth. Being afraid of the C-section I wasn't confident at all that I am able to birth my baby naturally. Also having tons of people tell me their terrible stories and pretty well tell me "just take the drugs, it hurts and you won't be able to bear it" really put a damper on my confidence in myself. This book helps you push other peoples comments aside, and believe that those woman were only misinformed about birth and don't realize it doesn't need to be painful. This book helps you realize that you are made to do this, and fear is the only thing holding us back from easy birth. All my bad dreams have melted away, my dreams only consist of a easy painless labor, rather than my baby being taken from my body forcefully now. I haven't delivered my baby yet, but am completely confident that my body will be able to do it with minimal pain and effort. Braxton hicks used to make me keel over in pain, and now I know how to breath through them and no one can even tell that I may be a little uncomfortable for a minute. Good luck mama's! We we're made to do this, let's show the doctors that birth doesn't have to be painful, we don't need to be offered drugs right away and take back control over the birth of our baby's :)

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing., Sept. 7 2013
GREAT BOOK~ I highly recommend for anyone who wants a peaceful, quiet, calm and empowering birth. Don't give up. If you think you can't do it, read the entire book, and you can!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, Aug. 30 2013
My sister had recommended this book to me while I was pregnant so I gave it a read. It comes across as preachy and makes you feel that you are wrong to chose drugs in labour.

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't take the class, Aug. 18 2013