5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious and Inspiring
The recipes are fairly simple and delicious. I have tried several and not been disappointed. The Hurry Up Alfredo Sauce on p. 195 has become a regular staple in our house and is absolutely scrumptious! Thankfully there is a photo accompanying each recipe.
Published on May 7 2010 by Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars MOST of the dishes are fantastic.. layout could be better.
Published on April 19 2012 by P. Santos

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious and Inspiring, May 7 2010
This review is from: Vegan Yum Yum: Decadent (But Doable) Animal-Free Recipes for Entertaining and Everyday (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars great vegan cookbook!, Aug. 14 2011
I picked this up a while ago, I was looking for a new cookbook and liked the title. I really like this book because it has a good variety of quick and more fancy recipes and doesn't use many obscure ingredients. I really love some of the super quick (like 10 minute!) pasta recipes, great for when I'm feeling lazy.

3.0 out of 5 stars MOST of the dishes are fantastic.. layout could be better., April 19 2012
P. Santos (Toronto, ON) - See all my reviews
I've tried about a third of the recipes in this book since getting it and most were just amazing. Some of them are even weekly staples for me (the hurry-up Alfredo, for instance, gets made weekly). There were a few recipes I just didn't like at all and won't be making again, but the good far outweigh the bad. The recipes I enjoyed the most include the Stuffed Banana Berry French Toast, Sweet Chili Lime Tofu, Miniature Napoleons with Eggplant Creme, Moroccan Spiced Root Vegetable Home Fries, Smoky Miso Tofu, and the Blueberry Grunts. There were a few I didn't like too much, including the Nearly Raw Tahini Noodles (too earthy tasting for my likes), Baked Mac and Cheeze (there's a better version on her food blog called Mac and Cheeze take 2), and the Creamy Broccoli Dal (much better with a few tweaks).

Lauren has a vast collection of great recipes on her blog as well and most of the recipes that I've tried in her book are winners as well. There is a serious problem with the layout of this book. Some recipes span 2-3 pages, which can be a major hassle in the kitchen for those of us with only two hands. I make it a practice to read the entire recipe before cooking and make sure now that if ingredients and direction span more than one page to group the ingredients based on stages in the recipe to avoid any time wasted or mistakes. Hopefully if this book undergoes a revision for a future edition this will be taken into consideration. The physical book itself isn't very kitchen-friendly.

I would definitely recommend this book to people who enjoy being in the kitchen and have the time. Most of the recipes aren't ready in 30 minutes, despite what the recipe says, but are definitely worth the extra time when dinner doesn't have to be on the table on such short notice. Those that are ready in less than 30 minutes definitely don't skimp on flavor. I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone who is trying to go soy-free or isn't a fan of tahini as many recipes call for either or both. Substitutions can be made but I haven't made that many since everything I've made is fantastic as presented. This isn't a perfect vegan starting point, but it's a nifty addition to an experienced cook's library or for someone who wants to start incorporating more vegetables in their diet.

5.0 out of 5 stars EVEN A CARNIVORE WOULD LOVE THESE DISHES, Jan. 20 2010
A vegetarian for 35 years, I have just recently explored veganism. This book has the most wonderful recipes in it and recommend it for those, like me, who are new to vegan eating and want real taste in their food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Aug. 16 2014
Great book.... amazing recipes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love LOVE this book!, Aug. 24 2011
The chana samosas with tamarind chutney are to die for! Another fave is the blueberry waffles w/lemon icing. These 2 recipes alone are worth buying the book for! LOL Simply fantastic and EASY!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum Yum is right!, Feb. 25 2011
As new vegans, my husband and I have been building our collection of delicious recipes. This book is simply amazing! Every recipe turns out so wonderfully; it makes us feel like chefs. The flavours are always well balanced and nothing is ever bland or boring. We honestly believe that it should be the first book in every new vegan's library. It makes becoming vegan a real treat!

CDN$ 23.95 CDN$ 17.48