5.0 out of 5 stars Most practical riding book ever

2.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed
Published on Feb. 3 2010 by G. Neal

2.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed, Feb. 3 2010
G. Neal (B.C, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques (Paperback)
I should have guessed from the title of the book and the images on the cover, but this book was a little more biased 'race bike' technique and bike setup for the track rather than techniques that are useful to riders who never venture to the track. From the books summary and other reader reviews I thought that the techniques shown would be equally applicable to the street and and would assist rider safety for day to day riding.... but on reading it I was wrong.

There are sections of the book that cover street riding but for me at least the bias toward 'racing techniques' is not what I was really looking for. A book teaching advanced riding techniques it is not but if your a racer who wants to try out racing techniques on the track and also apply these to the street then this maybe the book for you. For me alas it is not what I was expecting.

This is certainly a book that does what it's says on the cover... racing street riding techniques, but is certainly not a source for advanced safety riding techniques for the street.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most practical riding book ever, Nov. 26 2003
I've been riding motorcycle since 1975 and am a licensed road racer, so I knew a couple of things about riding when I bought this book. I expected to learn something, but no more than I learned from other riding technique books. My expectations were way too low. Simply put, this book changed my riding life. No other book contains practical exercises like the ones in "Total Control." Practicing these safe and simple exercises took my riding to a new level. No longer am I fighting my bike in the tight, technical stuff. Now it just does what I want it to. Forget spending $1000s on your suspension and engine--if you want to perform better, buy this book instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good purchase, Jan. 29 2014
Practical, experience based, well written and a good read. I read then go practice and it really works and fast. Great book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new here....move along., Aug. 15 2013
If you have read Twist Of The Wrist II then you won't get much out of this book. If you haven't read Twist Of The Wrist II then I suggest you read that and forget this book. I was hoping this would cover more ground but I found it very simplistic and not very detailed. If you really want to read this book then just borrow it from a library because it's not something I would keep on my shelf and refer back to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite technical, April 19 2013
This is a good book to read and understand if you have any interest in becoming a better rider. Whether you strive to push yourself harder and lean further or you just want to feel safer through understanding, you'll find answers here. This is worth a scan or read every season just to refresh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even if you think you know it all....., Feb. 27 2005
By A Customer
It's hard not to sound foolish with superlatives about this book, but all the customer reviews here are absolutely right.
I try to read everything about motorcycles I can get my hands on, and have been riding on and off for over 30 years.
This book is for the real-world rider, sportbike or cruiser, and it will surprise you even if you think you know-it-all. It has a wealth of good ideas which will change the way you ride forever. Time and money well spent.
I can't wait for the snow to melt to try it all out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Learning to corner., April 17 2011
This book has two sections that are excellent , the slow speed turns and proper high speed cornering. You will pay hundred's at the track to learn what is taught in this book. A must read before you go to the track for the first time. Well done. Thankyou :) :)

4.0 out of 5 stars good technical book, March 1 2011
good technical book not to arid to understand. More usefull for sport bike rider than cruiser rider. The book is a bit old, (2003) pictures should be revised. The author knows what he is talking about. You will learn tricks to be a better rider reading this book. worth the price paid ! Janus !

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read.., Oct. 18 2007
A. Khalifa (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
I read this book 2 years ago,
I was prepping for a few track days and found it very helpful, some interesting hints and advices, although mostly for modern bikes.
It is a great read, and enjoyable and will always give you a surprise (like speed shifting :)).

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Customer!, June 14 2004
If you do well by reading and learning, This is a must read!!!
If you are considering a sports bike, buy this before you spend the thousands of dollars. I have read Park's, Total Control and Hough's More proficient motorcycle riding. Park's book is more geared to the proper mechanics of riding. Hough's book addresses the crap to look out for on the road.
The BIG difference is the examples he uses to further explain the process. They are with out a doubt some of the best examples I have seen for teaching a sports related process.
He goes into proper bike set up. He adresses saftey gear, Suspension set up, traction,steering, and probably the biggest gorilla Fear. Let's face it Motorcycling is about the thrill of carving a turn. Managing that so it remains a thrill and not down right scary is the goal for me. Mr Park's really hit a homerun with his Mental Dynamics section.
Enjoy your copy cause I'm not loaning mine out!

ARRAY(0xadf6a924)

Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques
Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques by Lee Parks (Paperback - July 12 2003)
CDN$ 29.95 CDN$ 18.77