5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, The Traveler's Bible
Published on Oct. 26 2003 by Star Langlitz

2.0 out of 5 stars Is there life beyond USA
You can tell that the author is Americian. An extraordinary number of the places to see are in the US. I'd rather a more balanced book that took me beyond places to eat in USA. Give me some substance.
Published on Nov. 23 2004 by Jennifer Hunchak

2.0 out of 5 stars Is there life beyond USA, Nov. 23 2004
This review is from: 1,000 Places to See Before You Die: A Traveler's Life List (Paperback)

1.0 out of 5 stars American heavy in content - skip this, Nov. 6 2005
By A Customer
When I first came across this book, I immediately bought it. Went through it, until I came across the uS/Canada section, when I noticed how probably 1/3 of the book's places were located in the US and that among the '1000 places to see' included some ski resort in Idaho. Save your money, unless you want to learn more about the US (all 183 pages!) The average country had 2- 4 pages, even England/Scotland/Ireland only amounted to 90 pages! garbage. wasted money. one star for all the other content.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hello, there is a life outside US too!, Nov. 25 2005
By A Customer
As usual when something is produced in US, then the best aiplane ever is American, American won all the wars or played the desicive role there. I found it condescending that 30% of places to see are in North America. Do kids study history here? Do they know most of the world has older recorded history than States?
Extra minus fo me - book is too heavy on hotels, spas and resorts.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, Jan. 13 2007
What a great idea for a book! Too bad the author hadn't done a little more research. Since I'm Canadian, I can tell you that that section is particularly thin -- Toronto (a cosmopolitan city of 4.5 million people described by the United Nations as the most multicultural city in the world) rates just two mentions, one of which is a hotel apparently chosen at random. Which, of course, makes me wonder about the depth of research for all the other non-American countries she mentions. Abysmal. Unless you're looking for info on the U.S., save your money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, but a big disappointment..., Feb. 18 2008
Office Girl (Vancouver, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
I was initially really excited to check this book out because I love travelling and have done quite a bit in my time.

The first problem? The book is misnamed. It's not really a list of places -- its a list of events, things to try, hotels, restaurants and sites. To me, only those last 3 fit my description of places and even then, I was a little bored by the hotels & restaurants. I mean, fine, some of them are truly noteworthy, but honestly some of the ones listed are pretty pedestrian or should be limited to a city guide. Old Cataract Hotel in Egypt (Agatha Christie fame)? Yes, probably. Four Seasons in Toronto? No.

Also, I really expected to see a list of PLACES. If for some reason you can't come up with a fabulous list of 1000 must-see items I would have been happy with a high quality 100 places, rather than having to bother with the with a boring list of hotels, restaurants, festivals which seem to take up about half of the book.

So it might be ok as a general guide book, but as "1000 Places To See Before You Die"? Ho hum.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting concept but lackluster execution., March 16 2004
David J. Gannon (San Antonio, TX USA) - See all my reviews
The problem with publishing a travel guide to the 1000 Places You Must see Before You Die is establishing a fundamental criteria as to what constitutes a "must see" sight. Is it historical relevance? Natural wonder? Intrinsic beauty? World renown? You get the idea.
How you answer that question goes a long way to determining what sort of book you will have. The problem with Schultz's book is that she never clearly addresses that question and, therefore, has aggregated a series of recommendations that, in trying to fit all audiences, never succeeds in fitting any particular audience.
There has been much criticism in previous reviews of her focus on hotels/resorts, restaurants and "obvious" tourist attractions. Obviously, these folks have a very much narrower view of what constitutes a "must see" venue than does Schultz.
This is the factor that drastically limits the utility of this book-in trying to be all things to all people it serves the interests of very few people.
Frankly, it seems obvious to me what is needed is a series of "must see" books based on narrow criteria, such as "The 1000 Natural Wonders You Must See Before You Die" or "The 1000 Architectural Marvels....." or the "1000 Best BBQ Places You Must eat At....", and so on.
Having said all that, this tome does indeed provide, for certain geographical areas (primarily North America and western Europe) a decent generic guide to key attractions along a very wide continuum of choices. That is to say, this would be a good starting point to plan out a trip, but should not be considered a good 'sole source" as a travel guide. If nothing else, it can help you narrow down how you view what constitutes a "must see' venue when traveling.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fluffy but Fine, Nov. 20 2003
By A Customer
The book is interesting and enjoyable, with a few minor flaws. It has too much of the author's "hometown flavor" (manhattan). For example, the only "spiritual/holy" places listed in all of America and Canada are in Manhanttan, which is a little ridiculous: "Manhattan is the sprititual capital of America!" The other problem I have is the number of hotels listed. I might be the exception, but I don't consider commercial lodging establishments "musts". Maybe a few could make the cut, but I have seen some of the ones listed and they aren't that special. But to each his own: 1,000 is a big number and I won't begrudge the few dozen wasted (for me) on hotels. (The organization is a little strange - I think it is more than one "place" per geographic location entry...) Overall, it is interesting, if superfluous. It can help crystallize the type of trip you want to take, if not exactly where you want to go. In other words, a good bathroom book ;) or a good starting point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, The Traveler's Bible, Oct. 26 2003
Star Langlitz (upstate New York) - See all my reviews
As a high school teacher I am inclined to make "1000 Places.." required reading for every high school senior who is poised to venture forth into the world - at the very least, a must-read for all geography classes! The degree of painstaking research and organization that went into this 1000-page tome is beyond remarkable, and what wonderful prose where the author's enthusiasm for each entry of her wide spectrum of choices is both engaging and palpable.
"1000 Places..." is balanced in a way that offers countless possibilities for travelers of all shapes and sizes - and most importantly, for every budget. Yes, there are high priced hotels, but who doesn't dream of these once-in-a-lifetime experiences for special occasions, or when splurging for splurging's sake? Traveling off-season and internet discounts now make these landmark hotels suddenly affordable - and who can't afford dropping into these historical grande-dame hotels for a cup of tea and unparalleled people watching?
From high tea at The Ritz in London, to Montreux's vibrant Jazz Festival, to the unconventional choice of a visit to Calcutta to experience that country's human condition, I praise Ms Schultz for having compiled a Lifelist unlike any other I have ever stumbled upon before, and with all the factual info to get you there.
Perhaps it would make as much sense to suggest "1000 Places" as required reading for my fellow teachers as well as the students we send off with our blessing.
This book is for everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars great start - anyone up for an expansion? :), June 26 2004
I read this one from cover to cover - took a while but enjoyed it.
Obviously, these sort of lists are highly subjective so one could always discuss the merits of an inclusion or omission but someone has to be make one and kudos to Ms. Schultz.
That said, I can still give my opinions having been to >100 of the places she listed:
- museum list is very uneven: outside of the top 20-ish, there's got to be a thousand of fairly comparable museums in terms of quality and it puzzles me how some were selected. Aside: I am very happy that the marvelous science museum in Munich is there.
- over emphasis on USA and Gr. Britain but considering that is a book written in English, I suppose that this is expected
- the extremely expensive places can be rather meaningless. If you've got $10 000 to spend for just one day, there are plenty of extremely unique and memorable experiences one can have (presumably anyway - but if someone wants to sponsor me, I can do a bit of research...)
What I would love to see is a series of books with more focus: e.g. top Western art museums or top nature sights of S. America etc. Anyone? :)
Cheers,
sccdlc

5.0 out of 5 stars A Stand-Out Travel Book In My Collection, May 31 2004
Expensive hotels? Well, yeah, sure. But detractors should be kept more than busy with the other 900+++ entries that make up a remarkable roster of museums, festivals, sites of natural beauty, gorgeous beaches, far-flung islands and, well you get my drift. But in the cornucopia of must-experience places and events, who wouldn't want a glimpse of the world's most historic, romantic and wonderful hotels to hang your hat and escape from the world in perfect isolation? Who's unrealistic enought to think that a 16th-century castle with an award-winning restaurant, champion golf-courses and countless amenities isn't going to cost more than the average Holiday Inn? For the author to have avoided a few dozen of the world's best and most pampering hostelries would have been a blatant and ignorant disservice. In my book she has covered everything. She also happens to be human, or maybe she's holding back a few for a sequel - one can only hope. Some of these reveiws that follow floor me. I say, let them draw up their own list.

1,000 Places to See Before You Die: A Traveler's Life List
1,000 Places to See Before You Die: A Traveler's Life List by Patricia Schultz (Paperback - May 22 2003)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.77