5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Accompaniment
You're wrong if you think Barbecue! Bible : Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades, Bastes, Butters, and Glazes is just a comilation of recipes garnered from Raichlen's BBQ Bible. The recipes are not in his other books for the most part and are great additions to the fantasic dishes in the Bible!
Published on July 19 2003 by H. Row

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for grillers looking to step up
Published on Jan. 18 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for grillers looking to step up, Jan. 18 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Barbecue! Bible Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades, Bastes, Butters, and Glazes (Paperback)
If you are have a metal charcoal or gas grill, and are looking to expand your horizons beyond basic grilling, this is a good book. If you own an offset firebox or ceramic kamado type smoker, but are still buying your rub and sauces, 'Smoke & Spice' is a better investment. If you already own 'Smoke & Spice' you have better versions of all of the traditional recipes already.
The author includes Liquid Smoke in many of his sauce recipes, something that would make most experienced pitmasters cringe. Why put artificial tasting smoke flavor in a sauce when the food is being smoked already? There are indeed some interesting recipes from other cultures, and there is a useful though somewhat out of date listing for shopping sources for some of the more exotic ingredients. The chart of the effects of various common ingredients is very good, and would be very useful to any newcomer I should think. It is also a nice reference to have even for experienced pitmasters when thinking over new recipes.
In general however, I found that the recipes make use of too many ingredients, and yet when prepared tasted no better than traditional recipes I've been using for years and that are considerably less complicated. The reason is simple. Good barbecue gets it's flavor from being slow cooked at low temperatures with just the right amount of smoke, not because the cook used a dozen ingredients in the rub and another two dozen in the sauce. Everything from the cover layout to the number of ingredients called for and the sheer number of recipes makes me feel the author went for quantity rather than balance or quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Accompaniment, July 19 2003
H. Row "in1ear" (Arvada, CO United States) - See all my reviews
Because of Raichlen's recipes for Tandoori Chicken and other Indian dishes, I am now cooking these on my grill. The meat is great! But wait until you add some authentic chutneys, sambals and raita to accompany your main dish. This book is filled with Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades, Bastes, Butters, and Glazes ( duh) that MAKE everything I've cooked even more authentic and delicious.
As far as I'm concerned no one writes a better cook book on BBQ, grilling, etc Raichlen is the god of fire!
People rave over my Indian food and traditional bbq - chicken, beef,etc. The secrets are in THIS book and the rest of the BBQ Bible / BBQ USA / How to Grill series.
If you bbq, you need Raichlen's cook books.
This book is full of delicious accompaniments. And has made everything I grill so much tastier to eat.
I'm happy with this purchase!
John Row

5.0 out of 5 stars Barbeque!, March 2 2014
What a great book, love barbeque and this hits the spot! I will be using a lot of these sauces, when summer hits our region, they look terrific and I love to experiment. Can't wait!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reference book, Aug. 6 2013
This book is full of helpful tips and tricks to help improve your BBQ and Grilling experience. I love the world tour this book takes as well, it appeals to my love of both tradition and international foods.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guide, Jan. 8 2013
Love it. Have used over 5 new rubs and marinades. Awesome help in bringing your barbecue and cooking skills up a level. The brisket rub on Page 82 is so incredible we use it on every thing. Must have book.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE book for barbecue sauces!!!, June 26 2001
C. Graham (Georgetown, KY USA) - See all my reviews
This book is wonderful. I have already improved my grilling 100% in just the few days that I have owned this book. The recipies that I have tried so far have all been wonderful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, many recipes, good price!! can't go wrong, April 20 2004
This is a great book for someone who likes to BBQ, and even someone who never has. It shares the good points of rubs,sauces, and marinades. The book is filled with all kinds of different recipes. The recipes also give you ideas on how to come up with your own recipes so you can wow your summer time guests!!! It goes through the many aspects of a good sauce or rub. It shows how to build your own and what kind of meat to use it on. Overall a great learning book that will pay for itself by the many compliments you will recieve from your guests and family!!! Enjoy

4.0 out of 5 stars A good starting point....., Aug. 29 2003
Derrick Peterman (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I have used some of the sauces verbatum and have tinkered with others. The results have been uniformly excellent. It's a good starting point to develelop your own grilling recipies and techniques. The strength of the book is that it gets you thinking about how to create sauces and creating your own sauces is part of what grilling/barbeque is all about. I expect to go back to this book again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Try out the BBQ sauces, Feb. 5 2003
A. A Slezak "Incredulous Reader" (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
I previously purchased the BBQ Bible. This is a great companion book to that. I never made my own BBQ sauce before but now I make it as much as I can. Everyone goes crazy over the sauces in this book. It was a pretty funny scene when I was trying to make two of the sauces at the same time. One was the Jack Daniel's one that hot and the other was the smokey one. Well don't try making two at once because I getting shot from two sides with bubbling sauce and you have to stir it for the whole 20 minutes. I have made some of the butters and some of the rubs. The best rub I have used was the one for the BBQ ribs that is part of a feature page in the book. I can't say enough about this book. You will enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Upgrade your grilling/smoking TODAY!, Jan. 28 2003
M A "Matt" (Fairfax, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This is one of the best books you should buy if you are into grilling and/or smoking foods. It is the one I use the most (I own about 6-8 books). If you want to upgrade the flavor of anything you cook, this is the book for you. I commonly keep some of the rubs in the pantry and usually have at least one of the barbeque sauces in the fridge. My pepper grinder has the six-pepper blend in it all the time. I have even tried a mustard and ketchup from the book with great success! You don't have to be a good chef to use this book (how hard is it to mix spices?).
A previous reviewer listed that many of the recipes contain a "hard to find" ingredient. I don't think that is an entirely fair assesment. The book author provides links in the back of the book to numerous mail order houses where you can buy all the ingredients you need. It is well worth it. I found that for a relatively modest investment in 4-6 spices (~[$$]) I have been able to make everything I have been interested in.
I really really really like this book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›