Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store Cycling Tools minions

Barbecue! Bible Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades, Bastes, Butters, and Glazes
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$14.13+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on January 18, 2004
If you are have a metal charcoal or gas grill, and are looking to expand your horizons beyond basic grilling, this is a good book. If you own an offset firebox or ceramic kamado type smoker, but are still buying your rub and sauces, 'Smoke & Spice' is a better investment. If you already own 'Smoke & Spice' you have better versions of all of the traditional recipes already.
The author includes Liquid Smoke in many of his sauce recipes, something that would make most experienced pitmasters cringe. Why put artificial tasting smoke flavor in a sauce when the food is being smoked already? There are indeed some interesting recipes from other cultures, and there is a useful though somewhat out of date listing for shopping sources for some of the more exotic ingredients. The chart of the effects of various common ingredients is very good, and would be very useful to any newcomer I should think. It is also a nice reference to have even for experienced pitmasters when thinking over new recipes.
In general however, I found that the recipes make use of too many ingredients, and yet when prepared tasted no better than traditional recipes I've been using for years and that are considerably less complicated. The reason is simple. Good barbecue gets it's flavor from being slow cooked at low temperatures with just the right amount of smoke, not because the cook used a dozen ingredients in the rub and another two dozen in the sauce. Everything from the cover layout to the number of ingredients called for and the sheer number of recipes makes me feel the author went for quantity rather than balance or quality.
on July 19, 2003
You're wrong if you think Barbecue! Bible : Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades, Bastes, Butters, and Glazes is just a comilation of recipes garnered from Raichlen's BBQ Bible. The recipes are not in his other books for the most part and are great additions to the fantasic dishes in the Bible!
Because of Raichlen's recipes for Tandoori Chicken and other Indian dishes, I am now cooking these on my grill. The meat is great! But wait until you add some authentic chutneys, sambals and raita to accompany your main dish. This book is filled with Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades, Bastes, Butters, and Glazes ( duh) that MAKE everything I've cooked even more authentic and delicious.
As far as I'm concerned no one writes a better cook book on BBQ, grilling, etc Raichlen is the god of fire!
People rave over my Indian food and traditional bbq - chicken, beef,etc. The secrets are in THIS book and the rest of the BBQ Bible / BBQ USA / How to Grill series.
If you bbq, you need Raichlen's cook books.
This book is full of delicious accompaniments. And has made everything I grill so much tastier to eat.
I'm happy with this purchase!
John Row
on July 11, 2001
Mr. Raichlen has become an industry onto himself, complete with retail website. This book will sell a ton of copies no matter what I say, but I have some serious reservations about this cookbook.
The author has the gift of gab, which is a very good thing in this case. He has spent considerable time with the best of the barbecue pros, and it shows. Just reading through this one picks up a wealth of information, and you can't help but learn.
One problem is the recipes. A dirty trick is to present a fantastic recipe that relies on an obscure or hard to get ingredient, and this book is full of them. Most of these recipes will not become a part of your cooking repetoire. Another problem is that the majority of the recipes cover a wide range of international recipes. Traditional, american barbecue gets a scant 50 pages of the nearly 300 pages of this book. Even here, he favors the upscale and chic.
There is a tendency to favor the trendy, like flavor injectors and chutneys. He also goes through topics such as compound butters and flavored oils. Also, if you believe his side comments, all of his recipes go with all types of meats, seafoods and vegetables. In one of the more interesting sections, he has some rare recipes for mustards, ketchup, and hot sauces.
I also have one beef with the graphics of this book: many pages have a sidebar that is colored brown. As a result, it is hard to read the text in them.
This book seems to have been aimed at people who will probably never get within a country mile of a smoker. It covers a lot of ancillary subjects, and the topics covered range all over the place. This makes for very good reading, but little hard information. This book is closer to a personal diary than a cookbook. I can recommend this book because it is so interesting. However, if you are serious about barbecue, you will need a few other books beside this one in your collection. It certainly is not a "bible".
on January 28, 2003
This is one of the best books you should buy if you are into grilling and/or smoking foods. It is the one I use the most (I own about 6-8 books). If you want to upgrade the flavor of anything you cook, this is the book for you. I commonly keep some of the rubs in the pantry and usually have at least one of the barbeque sauces in the fridge. My pepper grinder has the six-pepper blend in it all the time. I have even tried a mustard and ketchup from the book with great success! You don't have to be a good chef to use this book (how hard is it to mix spices?).
A previous reviewer listed that many of the recipes contain a "hard to find" ingredient. I don't think that is an entirely fair assesment. The book author provides links in the back of the book to numerous mail order houses where you can buy all the ingredients you need. It is well worth it. I found that for a relatively modest investment in 4-6 spices (~[$$]) I have been able to make everything I have been interested in.
I really really really like this book.
on May 1, 2001
Once you get this book, you will look back on your grilling and barbecuing with sheepish embarrassment if all you do is slather store-bought sauce on a piece of meat and fiddle with it over a flame. This book will show you how to add the missing ingredient in the latter method -- love.
Steven Raichlin takes barbecuing seriously, to the point where he actually goes to barbecue competitions to interview top teams and seeks different styles of barbecue in his world travels. He dispenses with all his knowledge in the following chapters:
1. Introduction: Building Better Barbecue -- The Flavor Factor 2. A Refresher Course: Everything You Need to Know About Barbecuing and Grilling 3. Seasonings and Rubs 4. Marinades, Wet Rubs, and Spice Pastes 5. Bastes, Mops, Glazes, Oils, Finishing Sauces, and Butters 6. American Barbecue Sauces 7. World Barbecue Sauces 8. Slather Sauces 9. Salsas, Relishes, Sambals, and Chutneys
Don't worry if you live in a rural area where fresh spices and ingredients may be lacking. Raichlin also provides internet and mail order contacts for the essentials. This book will transform the House of Bland into a culinary temple. Be sure to have plenty of napkins with you so you don't drool over all the pages.
on June 27, 2000
Steven Raichlen followup book to the BBQ Bible is a great recipe and reference guide for all lovers of grilling or BBQing. The new book follows the same great format as the "Bible" with cooking tips, interesting background info on the recipes, and most of all practical, easy to prepare recipes with tons of flavors from the United States and around the world. Favorites already are the "lean and mean texas bbq sauce", the different but flavorful "lemonade chili rub" and the "chimichurri" sauce from south america. I will be trying the more exotic recipes from around the world such as "puerto rican pig powder" soon. If you already have the first book, buying this one is a given. if you are a bbq lover or grill master, you will have a hard time getting to the grill before reading this one cover to cover. And after making your first homemade sauce, those old bottles of sauce will be out of the kitchen!
on August 30, 2002
This is a wonderful book. Every recipe I've tried has come out with fantastic results. Some of them have more exotic ingredients, but others have pretty common ones (ex. lemon, garlic, butter). All of them have been absolutely delicious. With this book, I've cooked some steaks that people have said were better than those they'd eaten at the Seattle Ruth Chris Steakhouse or Daniels. (Of course the aged tendeloin steaks from Larry's and a nice gas BBQ help). I really like the recipe's for "The only mariade you'll ever need", the P.D.T. (Pretty Damn Tasty) Sourpuss Lemon Chicken Marinade), Sweet Sesame-Soy Marinade, and the ADOBO (Cuban Garlic Marinade).
My brother-in-law liked this ADOBO steak so much, he wanted the name of this book to go and buy it, so I'm going to give it to them as a housewarming present now that they can have a BBQ again.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I previously purchased the BBQ Bible. This is a great companion book to that. I never made my own BBQ sauce before but now I make it as much as I can. Everyone goes crazy over the sauces in this book. It was a pretty funny scene when I was trying to make two of the sauces at the same time. One was the Jack Daniel's one that hot and the other was the smokey one. Well don't try making two at once because I getting shot from two sides with bubbling sauce and you have to stir it for the whole 20 minutes. I have made some of the butters and some of the rubs. The best rub I have used was the one for the BBQ ribs that is part of a feature page in the book. I can't say enough about this book. You will enjoy it.
on June 25, 2002
I love this book. Raichlen presents his material in an easy to read, easy to understand format. I recommend this book to amateurs and veterans alike because of it's depth of knowledge and wide spectrum of recipes.
It is true that a lot of the sauce and rub recipes include ingredients that are not to common to everyone's pantry. However, these spices are readily available online or at a specialty market. I've learned a tremendous amount about flavors from working with these spices - That's what makes it fun.
Raichlen also discuses technique which is very important. If you read and follow his simple instruction, you really can produce some great BBQ.
I highly recommend this book.
on August 18, 2014
Every recipe I tried so far has been flavorful and each one of them brought my BBQ game a bit further. I have 1 stack of frozen steaks in the freezer here and I will try a different recipe each week. It will not be a boring summer!