5.0 out of 5 stars How long can we really live?
Published on June 16 2006 by I am 90

2.0 out of 5 stars Blah Blah Blah
Published 20 days ago by Dano

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars How long can we really live?, June 16 2006
This review is from: Younger Next Year: A Guide to Living Like 50 Until You're 80 and Beyond (Hardcover)
It is a very good book for anyone concerned about aging. We get more aware of our age at the time of retirement. Switching from a daily-work routine to a totally new idea of all-time-holidays is often not as pleasurable as we expected thirty or more years before. At that difficult time, it is very helpful to focus on the Four Pillars of Longevity as suggested by the authors of the book:

1. Six-times-a-week exercising.

2. Eating for nutrition, not for any other reason. Focusing on fruits and vegetables.

3. Avoiding boredom, developing your hobbies.

4. Connecting with many other people - creating a solid circle of friends.

The book provides some good medical background for these readers that like to understand why certain things are happening.

Another book well worth reading is "Can We Live 150 Year". It is the Body Maintenance Handbook, as the subtitle states. I like the common sense approach that is prevalent throughout the pages. Some of the author's ideas, for obvious reasons are similar to the ones presented by Crovley and Lodge, but on the whole it is a totally different book. Many excerpts are available for reading at the author's website.

2.0 out of 5 stars Blah Blah Blah, Aug. 12 2014
I found this book to be overly wordy. If it were cut down to a very few pages it might have made a worthwhile read but it was just too painful reading on and on and not learning anything new. If someone was totally illiterate on health matters and suddenly wanted to change their lifestyle there is some good information here. For those of us who have tried to do the right thing health wise over the years in my opinion this book has very little to offer. What it offers should come through having some common sense.

There is a heavy bias towards evolution in this book. If one shares the view that we humans evolved from goo then the book may be more palatable than it was for me. There are two world views on this matter, both sides are equally passionate about their beliefs and think that the other side is out to lunch. I could get over this bias and enjoy the book
If there was more meaningful,data in it but to me the book was primarily written to make the author's a pile of money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this if you want a great time when you retire., Aug. 7 2014
Great directions and encouragement to stay healthy, happy and energetic to a very advanced age. Easy to read even with the medical science included. Chris includes fun and encouraging stories of his own journey from fat Wall Street lawyer to a 70 year old still skiing and biking for fun. Important book for anyone from middle age to advanced seniors who want to be able to enjoy life to the very end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing, July 12 2014
Laurence R. Hunt "Laurence Hunt" (Kenora, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Well, this book certainly changed my life. I read it early in 2005, when it was first published. At the time, I believed that I was fit because I'd been running since 1969. I had forgotten that when I started running, I could also do gymnastics, I weighed 30 pounds less, I could do a pull-up with one arm, it was easy to do cartwheels and handstands, etc. In 2005, I was having trouble bending over to tie my shoes... I had early arthritis in my fingers and right wrist... my ankles were sometimes swelling for "no reason"... I was "upgrading my waist size"... and I thought I was fit. While the book is full of useful pointers, it was one of the first to pinpoint the role of myokines (then referred to by Dr. Lodge as "cytokines") in mediating fitness and health through tissue repair and growth, anti-inflammatory activity, etc. Nine years later, I am dropping waist sizes, not increasing them, I run faster now than I did 5 years ago, the arthritis in my fingers is gone, and I can do quite a bit of my old gymnastics routine again. I started with pumping iron, but my own research led me into core training, short burst training, and other strategies for building optimal fitness and health. Chris Crowley turns 80 this year, and he is living the message of the book - still highly active and having fun. I point to two life-changing books in my fitness journey. The first was Kenneth Cooper's "Aerobics" (the book that got me started in 1969). This is number two. Very strong on the "why to" as well as the "how to."

3.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, June 28 2014
SANW (North America) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed this book --- though the binding didn't last long and after a couple of months, the pages fell out --- but I read it last year and I'm no younger.

The ideas are simple: eat well, exercise, get enough sleep, eschew stress. The concepts are well-presented and the authors have a friendly, easy-to-digest way of getting their points across.

Even though I'm still "old", I'd recommend it as an inspirational read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I advocate reading this book and moving forward with change..., April 21 2014
This book is very well written and easy reading. Reasonable expectations & definately adaptable to my lifestyle. Look forward to being younger next year etc, etc., etc...

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and practical, April 7 2014
Good read, chapters by Chris Crowley are great; others by Dr. Lodge are OK, have a lot of evolution mumbo jumbo that I didn't care for. More specifics on the exercise program would have been helpful. Overall, makes you want to get up and start exercising!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ryan Stade, March 23 2014
Simple and sound advise written with humour and real life analogy.
This book really applies to everyone because it is never too young (or too old) to start a healthier lifestyle.
Well worth the read.

5.0 out of 5 stars motivational, Jan. 31 2014
Not a book to sit down and read like a novel. This is a book to keep in your bathroom or bedroom or at the breakfast table - somewhere to read a page or a chapter at a time, so that you are remotivated over and over again to get moving!

4.0 out of 5 stars good read, Jan. 19 2014
Chris Weadick "Schumway" (Hanwell, NB Canada) - See all my reviews
Interesting read and constant reminder of time slipping away and prioritizing and etc. an eary read and a valued addition to any library

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Younger Next Year: A Guide to Living Like 50 Until You're 80 and Beyond
Younger Next Year: A Guide to Living Like 50 Until You're 80 and Beyond by Henry S. Lodge M.D. (Hardcover - Jan. 1 2005)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01