5.0 out of 5 stars How long can we really live?
Published on June 16 2006 by I am 90

3.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read
I enjoyed this book --- though the binding didn't last long and after a couple of months, the pages fell out --- but I read it last year and I'm no younger.

The ideas are simple: eat well, exercise, get enough sleep, eschew stress. The concepts are well-presented and the authors have a friendly, easy-to-digest way of getting their points across.

Even...
Published 5 months ago by SANW

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars How long can we really live?, June 16 2006
This review is from: Younger Next Year: A Guide to Living Like 50 Until You're 80 and Beyond (Hardcover)
It is a very good book for anyone concerned about aging. We get more aware of our age at the time of retirement. Switching from a daily-work routine to a totally new idea of all-time-holidays is often not as pleasurable as we expected thirty or more years before. At that difficult time, it is very helpful to focus on the Four Pillars of Longevity as suggested by the authors of the book:

1. Six-times-a-week exercising.

2. Eating for nutrition, not for any other reason. Focusing on fruits and vegetables.

3. Avoiding boredom, developing your hobbies.

4. Connecting with many other people - creating a solid circle of friends.

The book provides some good medical background for these readers that like to understand why certain things are happening.

Another book well worth reading is "Can We Live 150 Year". It is the Body Maintenance Handbook, as the subtitle states. I like the common sense approach that is prevalent throughout the pages. Some of the author's ideas, for obvious reasons are similar to the ones presented by Crovley and Lodge, but on the whole it is a totally different book. Many excerpts are available for reading at the author's website.

5.0 out of 5 stars Populist writing but they make a convincing case!, Dec 23 2010
Gordon Larose "carbon_canuck" (Ottawa, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This book defies easy categorization. It's popular science, and as such will immediately garner criticism from some corners. Academics could criticize it for making generalizations based on still-incomplete research, for example. But IMO such criticism misses the point. The authors are arguing for the reader to make a fundamental transformation in his life, and they do so convincingly, with humor which keeps you reading. In my case (a middle-aged professional and recreational triathlete) it turned out I was already doing most of what they suggested, and I didn't need to be convinced that a very active lifestyle has huge, long-term benefits. But they show you HOW huge a difference it makes, with numbers and underlying physiological explanations to back it up, and show you the specific things you need to be doing to get the benefits. If you are a typical North American middle-aged guy, you would almost certainly benefit from this book. (There is a separate one for women which I am not qualified to comment on).

5.0 out of 5 stars Younger Is As Younger Does, Jan. 1 2008
Of all the anti-aging books I've seen, this is one of most laid back and entertaining. It's written by two guys. Harry, the doctor, covers the science aspects of aging, while the other guy, Chris, talks about applying the info.

The book is centered around 'Harry's Rules.' These are seven rules for the reader to follow. They include such things as 'Quit eating crap' or 'Exercise six days a week for the rest of your life.' While they might seem to be basic pieces of information, they are sound advice and have some science behind them.

All-in-all, I found this to be a very informative and amusing book and I'd recommend it to anyone who is looking for a book on aging. The realistic key here is not to go into things thinking you're going to STOP the aging process, rather think of SLOWING DOWN the aging process. Also recommend Treat Your Own Rotator Cuff to extend the life of your rotator cuff- studies show that after the age of sixty, 54% of people have a torn cuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Younger Next Year, Feb. 5 2007
Very motivational which is always a good thing, December 29, 2006

I was given a book at one of my recent seminars, Younger Next Year, a Guide to Living Like Fifty until you are Eighty and Beyond, by Chris Crowley and Henry S. Loch, M.D. Of course, I am not yet 50 so why should I be thinking about when I am 80? The book does make valid points that the earlier you start, the easier it is to take the clock lower.

Most of the book re-enforces what I already know: eat right and exercise. In addition to that, the book talks about the need for purpose, interaction, and contact with other people. As people get older and consider retirement, etc., they often lose their circle of friends and lose their purpose and that is what causes premature aging.

The book is written in an interesting way. The two authors, one in his seventies, talks about his life experiences and how he has been responded to by the younger doctor author who explains his theories of medicine and why things work the way they do.

I have not read anything else that talks the way this book does about why exercise is so good for us. The thesis is that evolution takes ten of thousands of years and so we have not yet had time to evolve. It was only a few hundred years ago when there was famine and exercise was a huge part of daily lives, just to survive. Our bodies have not had time to adapt and as a result, we often go into "famine" mode where our bodies metabolism slows down and we start storing fat. The book points out that technology has allowed us to eat very poorly and certain innate cravings which are healthy when things are scarce like sugars and fats are tremendously unhealthy because we can end up with hugely concentrated sources of them. They are well within our reach and means.

Technology also allows us to exercise and walk less with simply less motion. This goes every where from cars to elevators to electric can openers. I have always been a big advocate of being careful of watching what I include in automation. (You will notice that I conveniently don't bring up anything about the negatives about computer technology, which of course is different.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Younger Next Year, Feb. 20 2011
"Younger Next Year" should be required reading for anyone over the age of 40. Chris Crowley and Dr. Henry S. Lodge appeal to both sides of our brain by giving the reader both the emotional and scientific reasons why we should follow their three point plan for healthy aging. Their book is easy to read and even easier to implement the ideas contained therein.
If you are looking for a life-changing or life-affirming way to take care of your body and your ultimate future, this book is for you. Take charge of your own health care system. Read this book and live the tenets that are so clearly and compelling laid out in "Younger Next Year"!

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this if you want a great time when you retire., Aug. 7 2014
Great directions and encouragement to stay healthy, happy and energetic to a very advanced age. Easy to read even with the medical science included. Chris includes fun and encouraging stories of his own journey from fat Wall Street lawyer to a 70 year old still skiing and biking for fun. Important book for anyone from middle age to advanced seniors who want to be able to enjoy life to the very end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Younger Next Year, Feb. 10 2011
There are hundreds of exercise and diet books out there but this is the one that got me working out and changing my ways....because these guys have a unique and intelligent way of explaining how the body works and why you really need to exercise...so if you're in your fifties and sixties....grab the book and read it...it may change your life...for the better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing, July 12 2014
Laurence R. Hunt "Laurence Hunt" (Kenora, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Well, this book certainly changed my life. I read it early in 2005, when it was first published. At the time, I believed that I was fit because I'd been running since 1969. I had forgotten that when I started running, I could also do gymnastics, I weighed 30 pounds less, I could do a pull-up with one arm, it was easy to do cartwheels and handstands, etc. In 2005, I was having trouble bending over to tie my shoes... I had early arthritis in my fingers and right wrist... my ankles were sometimes swelling for "no reason"... I was "upgrading my waist size"... and I thought I was fit. While the book is full of useful pointers, it was one of the first to pinpoint the role of myokines (then referred to by Dr. Lodge as "cytokines") in mediating fitness and health through tissue repair and growth, anti-inflammatory activity, etc. Nine years later, I am dropping waist sizes, not increasing them, I run faster now than I did 5 years ago, the arthritis in my fingers is gone, and I can do quite a bit of my old gymnastics routine again. I started with pumping iron, but my own research led me into core training, short burst training, and other strategies for building optimal fitness and health. Chris Crowley turns 80 this year, and he is living the message of the book - still highly active and having fun. I point to two life-changing books in my fitness journey. The first was Kenneth Cooper's "Aerobics" (the book that got me started in 1969). This is number two. Very strong on the "why to" as well as the "how to."

3.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, June 28 2014
SANW (North America) - See all my reviews

Even though I'm still "old", I'd recommend it as an inspirational read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I advocate reading this book and moving forward with change..., April 21 2014
This book is very well written and easy reading. Reasonable expectations & definately adaptable to my lifestyle. Look forward to being younger next year etc, etc., etc...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›