5.0 out of 5 stars Wealthy Barber has returned
I just finished the Wealthy Barber again...7 years later. Along with The Wealthy Barber Returns and can only say it was GREAT. I was a good saver during my high school years and managed to put myself through college. That continued after the entering the workforce, but i did need to use my RRSPs to buy my first house.
Now 3 houses, 2 kids and a loving wife later, i...
Published on Feb. 27 2012 by Ross

1.0 out of 5 stars skip this one and buy the sequel
First off, I should point out that I'm a big fan of David Chilton. He "gets it."

Published 20 months ago by Chris

5.0 out of 5 stars Wealthy Barber has returned, Feb. 27 2012
This review is from: The Wealthy Barber (Paperback)
Now 3 houses, 2 kids and a loving wife later, i was in desperate need of a financial Kick in the Butt. I regularly contribute to my company sponsored pension plan, but my insurance is insufficient and my dept load is out of control!!!!
I have made an appt with my advisor to go over my needs and requirements and hopefully discuss some other vehicles to help me achieve my goals!!!

Thanks
david for 2 outstanding personal finance books for the masses

1.0 out of 5 stars skip this one and buy the sequel, April 18 2013
Chris (Canada's National Capital) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wealthy Barber (Paperback)

On the topic of basic money management, there is some good advice in this book (pay yourself first, the 10% rule). For anyone struggling to pay down debt, or avoid living beyond their means, they may need more specific guidance and encouragement found elsewhere, perhaps in a Dave Ramsey book.

There's at least one critical flaw in this book, however. When it was written in the late 1980s, Canadians didn't have many options for low cost investment vehicles. Through the narrative of this book, Mr. Chilton advises readers to "pick a mutual fund with a good manager." The author himself has debunked this fallacy in the intervening years. Mr. Chilton does an excellent job explaining this in an interview with the Globe and Mail's Rob Carrick:[...]

Mr. Chilton fights the good fight, going toe to toe with Kevin O'Leary on CBC in an entertaining video here: [...]

I would advise potential readers to pick up a copy of this book's sequel titled "The Wealthy Barber Returns" rather than the original. Here's a link to that: The Wealthy Barber Returns : Dramatically Older and Marginally Wiser, David Chilton Offers His Unique Perspectives on the World of Money

Another book to consider would be Andrew Hallam's "Millionaire Teacher." For more advanced reading, the Canadian Financial Wiki "Finiki" and it's associated "Financial Webring Forum" will steer users toward sound investment strategies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, June 19 2014
This is easily the best book I have every read. This is a life changer and should be read by everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars For those who desire wealth!, June 17 2014
This review is from: The Wealthy Barber (Paperback)
I bought this book for my daughter in order to help her learn a few of the fundamentals of how to achieve wealth.... Stuff that we do not learn in school!!! I encourage anybody who wants to achieve financial independance to start with this book....

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book!, Feb. 18 2014
This review is from: The Wealthy Barber (Paperback)
Great book for every generation! I read his when I was in high school and really like it. My nephew thinks it's really good so far.

2.0 out of 5 stars When published, Feb. 7 2014
I wasn't aware of the year of the book and it should have been, or more noted, to say when it was published, regardless of the condition. As well there's a difference between a Canadian and American versions.

How can I return it as I didn't know or want an American version? I didn't want a book that was that old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read, Jan. 7 2014
This review is from: The Wealthy Barber (Paperback)
This book changed how I look at finances. It is easily in a top ten must reads to better your life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shape and on time, Dec 3 2013
This review is from: The Wealthy Barber (Paperback)
Thanks kindly for the responses and quick shipment. The book is in great shape and it is aso a good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars I received the book but, Nov. 17 2013
The book pictured was not the book sent. What I mean is when I ordered the book I was expecting to see the one in the pic but I was instead sent a older copy of the book. With that said the book is the same and it has all the same info in it. I still would of ordered the book if the older one was pictured it was just a surprise when I opened the package and there it was.

5.0 out of 5 stars The basic financial book for Canadians, Sept. 1 2013
This review is from: The Wealthy Barber (Paperback)
A classic that covers most of the basics most people should know. Very good read for teenagers and early college/university kids.

The Wealthy Barber
The Wealthy Barber by David Chilton (Paperback - 1995)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01