5.0 out of 5 stars Wealthy Barber has returned
I just finished the Wealthy Barber again...7 years later. Along with The Wealthy Barber Returns and can only say it was GREAT. I was a good saver during my high school years and managed to put myself through college. That continued after the entering the workforce, but i did need to use my RRSPs to buy my first house.
Now 3 houses, 2 kids and a loving wife later, i...
Published on Feb. 27 2012 by Ross

1.0 out of 5 stars skip this one and buy the sequel
First off, I should point out that I'm a big fan of David Chilton. He "gets it."

Published on April 18 2013 by CJ

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wealthy Barber has returned, Feb. 27 2012
This review is from: The Wealthy Barber (Paperback)
Now 3 houses, 2 kids and a loving wife later, i was in desperate need of a financial Kick in the Butt. I regularly contribute to my company sponsored pension plan, but my insurance is insufficient and my dept load is out of control!!!!
I have made an appt with my advisor to go over my needs and requirements and hopefully discuss some other vehicles to help me achieve my goals!!!

Thanks
david for 2 outstanding personal finance books for the masses

1.0 out of 5 stars skip this one and buy the sequel, April 18 2013
CJ (Canada's National Capital) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Wealthy Barber (Paperback)

On the topic of basic money management, there is some good advice in this book (pay yourself first, the 10% rule). For anyone struggling to pay down debt, or avoid living beyond their means, they may need more specific guidance and encouragement found elsewhere, perhaps in a Dave Ramsey book.

There's at least one critical flaw in this book, however. When it was written in the late 1980s, Canadians didn't have many options for low cost investment vehicles. Through the narrative of this book, Mr. Chilton advises readers to "pick a mutual fund with a good manager." The author himself has debunked this fallacy in the intervening years. Mr. Chilton does an excellent job explaining this in an interview with the Globe and Mail's Rob Carrick:[...]

Mr. Chilton fights the good fight, going toe to toe with Kevin O'Leary on CBC in an entertaining video here: [...]

I would advise potential readers to pick up a copy of this book's sequel titled "The Wealthy Barber Returns" rather than the original. Here's a link to that: The Wealthy Barber Returns : Dramatically Older and Marginally Wiser, David Chilton Offers His Unique Perspectives on the World of Money

Another book to consider would be Andrew Hallam's "Millionaire Teacher." For more advanced reading, the Canadian Financial Wiki "Finiki" and it's associated "Financial Webring Forum" will steer users toward sound investment strategies.

2.0 out of 5 stars When published, Feb. 7 2014
I wasn't aware of the year of the book and it should have been, or more noted, to say when it was published, regardless of the condition. As well there's a difference between a Canadian and American versions.

How can I return it as I didn't know or want an American version? I didn't want a book that was that old.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic., Dec 25 2014
This review is from: The Wealthy Barber (Paperback)
excellent book sets the foundation for a healthy attutide towards money. Perfect for beginners. Many financial experts have essentially ripped off the advice in this book. Its not one of these get-rich-quick scams, but just practical solid advice. Written in story-telling way thats an easy read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book, Feb. 19 2013
This review is from: The Wealthy Barber (Paperback)
Everyone should read this book. Too many people can't manage their own money and will have to rely on the Government (which essentially means savers like me). I make an average living but one day I want to be wealthy, I don't relish being punished for my thrift.

5.0 out of 5 stars For those who desire wealth!, June 17 2014
This review is from: The Wealthy Barber (Paperback)
I bought this book for my daughter in order to help her learn a few of the fundamentals of how to achieve wealth.... Stuff that we do not learn in school!!! I encourage anybody who wants to achieve financial independance to start with this book....

5.0 out of 5 stars It's nice to know there's a guy with a heart and ..., Feb. 13 2015
It's nice to know there's a guy with a heart and a true understanding of what's needed to show people that money is easy to manage if you look at it without terror. And if you can see the sense and rhythm of saving and investing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book - very informative and great financial advice., Dec 29 2012
very informative and great financial advice. Anyone interested in simple financial advice should read DAvid Chilton's book. I also enjoyed the sequel to this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, Feb. 25 2013
Excellent. Down to earth. Good analogies! Just order the new one! Looking forward to more words of wisdom. Not too dry as some finance books can be!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book!, Feb. 18 2014
This review is from: The Wealthy Barber (Paperback)
Great book for every generation! I read his when I was in high school and really like it. My nephew thinks it's really good so far.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Wealthy Barber
The Wealthy Barber by David Chilton (Paperback - 1995)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01