5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read, understand and implement in your kids lives.
As a homeschooling mom of two boys, we had heard about the unschooling method but were a little unsure of its effectiveness until we read this book. Mary Griffith does a wonderful job of explaing the concept of unschooling, and the numerous families quoted throughout the book make the concept seem so natural.
There are chapters on math, science, reading and...
Published on March 9 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Be VERY Careful Before You Tread
If the direction of training you are to give your children should be up to their own interests and desires, perhaps you should not teach them to brush their teeth either. They will pick it up on their own if they have an interest. If they don't still you save a lot of your time when you don't have to create the toothbrushing cirriculum for them.
The inmates can...
Published on March 1 2004 by Greg Perry

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read, understand and implement in your kids lives., March 9 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Unschooling Handbook: How to Use the Whole World As Your Child's Classroom (Paperback)
There are chapters on math, science, reading and writing, and how to use the world around your children to foster these skills without "doing school". Using the unschooling concept has made the boys' curiosity and wonder of the world around them just explode and has made learning exciting for them. The unschooling philosophy has made learning a 24/7 event at our house, thanks to this wonderful book.
Any family considering homeschooling, or "doing school" at home, or using a curriculum needs to read this unique and fabulous book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is fantastic for those considering unschooling..., Aug. 28 2002
Sharon A. Stanley (Dayton, OH, USA) - See all my reviews
My husband and I knew we were planning to homeschool our kids, but didn't feel entirely comfortable with just having a traditional "school at home" environment. We had heard of unschooling, but thought it might be too radical for our comfort level. Not so! After reading this book, we understand what unschooling is and how it can fit into our family. I am so excited and relieved to know that there is a way for our kids to learn in a manner that we are comfortable using. Thank you for all the great suggestions and excerpts from parents who are currently unschooling. Their experiences are a great source of information and inspiration. I absolutely cannot think of a better way for my kids to learn and am so glad to have this book as a reference tool on my bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars From a family of long-time unschoolers..., Jan. 4 2002
we highly recommend this book. Aside from the information you can get about unschooling at the [...] website and message boards, this is the best information in print.
Our family has always unschooled, and it was John Holt that brought us there, along with listening to our hearts and respecting our children's point of view.
If you are interested in homeschooling, read John Holt's books ("Learning All the Time") and visit the message boards at [...] And add this wonderful book to your library, as you will use it over and over again...and you will lend it to friends over and over again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Veteran homeschooler or newbie, this is for everyone!, Feb. 7 2004
By A Customer
When you've homeschooled for many, many years, you sometimes get jaded regarding homeschooling books. "Been there, done that" syndrome. However, The Unschooling Handbook is a rare gem in a sea of homeschooling books. Mary Griffith is an exceptional writer and makes you feel as if she is a friend sharing her best tips. In fact, she has, having requested information from many unschooling parents as to what actually does work. If there is one book to buy on homeschooling/unschooling, this is it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, April 6 2002
By A Customer
This is by far the best book I have read on homeschooling. I'm glad I read it at the begining of our venture. I'm sure it would help any homeschooling parent to relax and realise that their children are learning through almost any activity they participate in. I know it has taken the pressure off of me, realising that I don't have to be "teaching" my children constantly for them to be acheiving or gaining knowledge.
I recommend this book to all homeschooling parents.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Reference, March 16 2010
This is really a great book to have on hand when lost for ideas. It is one of many that I use for reference during the homeschooling year. In order to supplement it I do strongly recommend:

To the Shore of a Child's Ocean Part One: Homeschooling from Birth to Age Nine (see ArtisanPacificPublishing Website).
To the Shore of a Child's Ocean Part One: Homeschooling from Birth to Age Nine

5.0 out of 5 stars Whole world should return to unschooling, April 15 2000
I had heard of homeschooling before, but not of unschooling. Having read the book, and the comments in it from unschooling parents and children, the latter is definitely what I would choose for any children of mine. Tell you what, after reading it I wished I had been 'unschooled'! Unfortunately, I haven't, however, I reckon with my kids, whenever they come along, I can make up for a lot of what I've missed, by learning alongside them. I'm looking forward to that opportunity! The book is excellent in that it not only clearly explains the concept of unschooling, it also gives practical examples of how the children get an interest in learning to read, how mathematics and science are included in every day life, how history and the arts become wonderful day trips to museums, etc. On top of all that it has a chapter on 'coping with doubts and challenges', and each chapter has a long list of reference books where more info can be found. In short, a real gem. The whole world should return to unschooling I think. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had this book 8 years ago, April 15 2001
This book was a godsend. At long last a book detailing the way my daughter learned. As a former (public school)teacher I was at loose ends how to educate my daughter. Two private schools, two years at a public school and she was still bored. This book helped me to realize that there was another way to educate her than to duplicate in homeschooling, the way the schools had failed her.This book is well worth the read and the price, if for no other reason than to let you know that you are not alone. Along with Grace Llewellyn's Teenage Liberation Handbook it should be read by every parent and educator.If for no other reason than a different way of looking at the "how to educate children"problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars As a 16 year old I have found this book to be inspirational, July 13 1998
By A Customer
I am currently a junior in high school, and I have been looking for an alterantive to public schooling for over a year. This book provides a lot of helpful background information on how to get started and continue with your unschooling. The whole idea behind unschooling is a very creative and revolutionary way to improve the current education system. I would highly recommend this book to any adult looking to better their child's learning experiance as well as to any child who, like myself, has felt that they have been unchallenged by the public schooling system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, interesting and a pleasure to read, March 4 1999
By A Customer
This book is fascinating! The author includes many quotes from people currently unschooling their children. I had planned on home schooling when I was pregnant with my twins. I had never heard of unschooling until I came across this book and realized this was what I really intended on doing with my children. The author shows how children learn from everyday life and how they can continue to have the absolute love of learning that occurs during their toddler years. My children will be 2 later this spring and I am so glad I found this book while they are young.

The Unschooling Handbook: How to Use the Whole World As Your Child's Classroom