5.0 out of 5 stars Veteran homeschooler or newbie, this is for everyone!
Published on Feb. 7 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars Be VERY Careful Before You Tread
If the direction of training you are to give your children should be up to their own interests and desires, perhaps you should not teach them to brush their teeth either. They will pick it up on their own if they have an interest. If they don't still you save a lot of your time when you don't have to create the toothbrushing cirriculum for them.
The inmates can...
Published on March 1 2004 by Greg Perry

5.0 out of 5 stars Veteran homeschooler or newbie, this is for everyone!, Feb. 7 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Unschooling Handbook: How to Use the Whole World As Your Child's Classroom (Paperback)
When you've homeschooled for many, many years, you sometimes get jaded regarding homeschooling books. "Been there, done that" syndrome. However, The Unschooling Handbook is a rare gem in a sea of homeschooling books. Mary Griffith is an exceptional writer and makes you feel as if she is a friend sharing her best tips. In fact, she has, having requested information from many unschooling parents as to what actually does work. If there is one book to buy on homeschooling/unschooling, this is it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Reference, March 16 2010
This is really a great book to have on hand when lost for ideas. It is one of many that I use for reference during the homeschooling year. In order to supplement it I do strongly recommend:

To the Shore of a Child's Ocean Part One: Homeschooling from Birth to Age Nine (see ArtisanPacificPublishing Website).
To the Shore of a Child's Ocean Part One: Homeschooling from Birth to Age Nine

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, April 6 2002
By A Customer
This is by far the best book I have read on homeschooling. I'm glad I read it at the begining of our venture. I'm sure it would help any homeschooling parent to relax and realise that their children are learning through almost any activity they participate in. I know it has taken the pressure off of me, realising that I don't have to be "teaching" my children constantly for them to be acheiving or gaining knowledge.
I recommend this book to all homeschooling parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book, June 26 2001
Sara Thacker (Texas) - See all my reviews
I wish more people understood how much kids really do want to learn. Given the right environment children can accomplish great things and this book helps parents create the right environment.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is fantastic for those considering unschooling..., Aug. 28 2002
Sharon A. Stanley (Dayton, OH, USA) - See all my reviews
My husband and I knew we were planning to homeschool our kids, but didn't feel entirely comfortable with just having a traditional "school at home" environment. We had heard of unschooling, but thought it might be too radical for our comfort level. Not so! After reading this book, we understand what unschooling is and how it can fit into our family. I am so excited and relieved to know that there is a way for our kids to learn in a manner that we are comfortable using. Thank you for all the great suggestions and excerpts from parents who are currently unschooling. Their experiences are a great source of information and inspiration. I absolutely cannot think of a better way for my kids to learn and am so glad to have this book as a reference tool on my bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read, understand and implement in your kids lives., March 9 1999
By A Customer
As a homeschooling mom of two boys, we had heard about the unschooling method but were a little unsure of its effectiveness until we read this book. Mary Griffith does a wonderful job of explaing the concept of unschooling, and the numerous families quoted throughout the book make the concept seem so natural.
There are chapters on math, science, reading and writing, and how to use the world around your children to foster these skills without "doing school". Using the unschooling concept has made the boys' curiosity and wonder of the world around them just explode and has made learning exciting for them. The unschooling philosophy has made learning a 24/7 event at our house, thanks to this wonderful book.
Any family considering homeschooling, or "doing school" at home, or using a curriculum needs to read this unique and fabulous book.

5.0 out of 5 stars From a family of long-time unschoolers..., Jan. 4 2002
we highly recommend this book. Aside from the information you can get about unschooling at the [...] website and message boards, this is the best information in print.
Our family has always unschooled, and it was John Holt that brought us there, along with listening to our hearts and respecting our children's point of view.
If you are interested in homeschooling, read John Holt's books ("Learning All the Time") and visit the message boards at [...] And add this wonderful book to your library, as you will use it over and over again...and you will lend it to friends over and over again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Unschooling Book!, May 17 2004
I have homescooled for 2 years and had never heard of unschooling until recently. After reading this book, I was hooked. My son is definately the type to learn on his own. This book is full of ideas and encouraging examples of other unschoolers. Wish I had read this years ago! If you are thinking of unschooling, read this first. It really makes sense!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read. A super place to start!, April 12 2004
Sarah J. Lacasse "MN" (St. Paul, MN USA) - See all my reviews
If you are thinking of homeschooling, this is a fabulous primer on one of the approaches to teaching kids, or letting kids learn, at home. It does an excellent job of covering a broad scope of issues without being overwhelming. The style of writing and layout of the book makes it easy and enjoyable to read. Well worth your time!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for all homeschoolers, Aug. 4 2002
L. Hope "L.H." (USA) - See all my reviews
This book really helped me in expanding ideas for homeschooling. It's an easy read, too.

ARRAY(0xaefaff90)